Buick's Western-Themed Cars from the late-1950's

Centurion

Buick enthusiasts will want to make sure they read David Temple's fascinating article in the July, 2014 issue of "Hemmings Classic Car".

The article includes photos and known history of the 1958 Wells Fargo convertible, the 1958 Round Up wagon, and the 1959 Texan wagon.

WellsFargoLimited2.jpg

The 1958 Wells Fargo's association with actor Dale Robertson, who starred in the "Wells Fargo" television show, is covered in the article.

An interesting sidelight of the Wells Fargo sponsorship is this rare 1959 Buick coloring book that sold on Ebay this morning. (No, I was not the successful bidder.)

HPIM6724.jpg

HPIM6728.jpg

HPIM6727.jpg

Dale Robertson in a 1959 AC ad with a Buick:

51PPhaTlETL._SX342_.jpg

Guest shorttimer

It was a good article, and definitely worth the read. I dont remember seeing the color version of the picture of the interior of the Texan before - very cool.

I have also never seen pictures of the '60 Go Texan. Do any exist?

Can you imagine driving this car and getting pulled over? Talk about "Hands on the wheel dirt bag, don't make a move; we've got you covered." "What in the heck are you doing with all that hardware; I surely do hope you have a license to open carry!" "Now out of the car, face down, put your hands behind your back and don't even breathe!"

Check out New York's S.A.F.E. act on Google. I think it stands for Strategically Armed Freeway Express, just in case you commute.

But be careful, convertibles kill.

Commuter lanes on the east coast, HOV on the west coast..... High Ordinance Vehicle?

Early '50's too:

Buick-E-Kineno-1950-Buick-Roadmaster.jpg

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Yes, that's the car. My Uncle spent WWII in Texas shooting jack rabbits with a tank. After the war they decided to tame it down a bit and use a Buick.

The six rifles were for visiting statisticians.

Three statisticians go hunting. When they see a rabbit, the first one shoots, missing it on the left. The second one shoots and misses it on the right.

The third one shouts: "We've hit it!"

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...

In Texas they would just smile. In California they would lock you in a nut house, In New York and Connecticut they would just send you straight to jail. Dandy Dave!