Where to buy 1958 Battery

bubba

My 58 Century is asking for a new battery. Her owner left the current occupant without a charge over this lousy cold winter. It seems that this is "oh you got one of those" types. Just leave your next born as a core charge. It is the long type 3EE. Delco # 403E. I found several on the net ranging from $117 to $350. Anybody have a good experience with a certain type of battery in a 58? thanks

Matt is correct, '54 and '58 do share the same battery and my Tractor Supply always has them in stock. Her owner should use a battery tender on her all the time though as I've found these batteries don't tolerate getting totally run down but a time or two. Otherwise they generally last 2-3 years.

2-3 years eh Mr. Earl. I managed to squeeze 7 years out of Irene's heart starter, but alas it let me down a few weeks ago and I had to sheepishly borrow a set of jumper cables off Stuart ( aka 50Jetback ) to get her going. Those batteries are almost impossible to get here, the closest I could find was going to cost close to $400.

So I went for an Optima AGM battery. Not the correct size , but I made it fit sort of nice and it should last many years. And yes always keep a smart trickle charger connected.

Thanks to those that responded. A friend got an "Interstate" battery for me from an old parts store that still could order one. Hasn't been a farm store around these parts since Lindy flew out of here. Happy Motoring, bubba

Interstate is good.

'55 for one year used a group60.

I went through two 'Delco' reproduced group60 batteries. They were both junk.

In the meantime

I got a group 27F

It's within 1/2" of being the same size as a Group60.

Eventually I'll get to the right battery.

Then I'll put the 27F in my Ford truck (F for Ford reverse terminals)

My Tractor Supply 3EE gave me just over 2 years.

A local commercial battery shop gave me their own brand with higher capacity for $78 - a no-name brand, but with local warranty

my other alternative was going to be a pair of AMAZON $112 6-volt batteries linked in SERIES ---- I still may try this some day )which will give 2000 CCA ??)