1949 truck rims

old car fan

You didn't buy this one did you? Actually for $250 I would have been all over it too. I doubt that the wheels and tires are your problem though... more likely sloppy steering box, worn king pins, wheel bearings and tie rod ends. I see a lot of old trucks in farm country, I rarely see an old Chevy that steers right.

post-47067-143142487962_thumb.jpg

You didn't buy this one did you? Actually for $250 I would have been all over it too. I doubt that the wheels and tires are your problem though... more likely sloppy steering box, worn king pins, wheel bearings and tie rod ends. I see a lot of old trucks in farm country, I rarely see an old Chevy that steers right.

Totally Agree. Also, if the tires are old and the cords inside are breaking it will raise heck with ride. It would look better with the correct rims and hubcaps.

I had a 1962 International 1/2 ton several years ago. Rode like a 2 ton with the 7.50 bias tires. Put on some radials and wheels from a full sized Chrysler car, and it transformed the ride. The car tires were a bit smaller diameter; so it hurt fuel economy a bit, but at the time I felt the trade off was more than worth it.

Wheels with a different offset, wider tires, radial tires will all louse up steering. Suggest you go back to stock wheels. If you use radials, pump them up to 32 PSI.

Go over the whole front end, replace worn parts, grease everything, put on new shocks, and get an alignment. You will be surprised how much better it drives.

If you can take the springs apart, clean out dirt and rust, replace the sliders, polish the slider area with a fine grinding disc, and apply some graphite grease or moly grease your springs will ride better. If you are not going to carry heavy loads you can take out some leaves for a softer ride.

Guest prs519

I have a set or two of oriiginal 16 inch, 6 hole, truck rims. They are a steel wheel with 4 vents.. Message me with email address if interested. Perry

Thanks ,for the reponses,The original are 8 lug rims.The truck has wide rims,wide tires.Wagon Wheels,I am certain that's the problem.I have 3- 16 inch splts,and 1 15 inch.It is a driver,but so much nicer with correct rims and tires.Would like to know what size rim was original to the truck.

Edited by old car fan (see edit history)

Old trucks do not handle or steer like cars,even with a rebuilt front suspension and even lowered a little and modern shocks my 37 Chevy p/u still rides,steers and handles like a old truck. If the front suspension has not been greased in years you might have to take some heat to the kingpins to get them to accept grease and when greased up should be a little easier to steer but its a old truck.

The only time an old truck rides half decent is when it has a full load on. But, it is possible to make some improvements. 50 years of wear, dirt and rust do not make them ride any better. Greasing, replacing worn parts, and doing an alignment all help. So will removing some of the spring leaves if you are not planning on carrying heavy loads.

Both the 51 Chevy and 50 GMC I had came with 15 inch split rims,I dont know if anyone could be found to work on them these days and if it was my truck would look into those companies who make rims and see if they regular type rims could be made for it that will accept original looking hubcaps.

Jeff ,these are 8 lug wheels.Jim Will do them ,local to you,Used to own a well known tire shop on 2nd street/ .He also has a shaver,for lack of better words,to shave tires .Jimmy is in Xenia Ohio,not far?He can take a wood spoke,and make it true.Also ,I have changed many spits,most people do not know how to,thats where the danger is.