1957 Buick Special 2 dr, hard top, all original, 5817 miles -to be auctioned- Ohio May 24th & 25th

Guest Thomas22

Transferring some of the pictures to here for you Thomas22. Thanks for posting here, hopefully someone on here who really appreciates the condition of this car can bid and win. I am forwarding it to a friend who has a museum not far from there and I think will be very interested. Thanks goodness it is not a 54.

fi152.cgi

fi2.cgi

fi123.cgi

fi124.cgi

fi148.cgi

fi149.cgi

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest Thomas22

Mr. Earl, Thanks so much for posting the pictures and passing on the info. I will talk to my father today, and get you some more details about the cars.

Guest my3buicks

The color us Jade Green, not a common color(I was under the impression it was only on earlier 57's and phased out) even more uncommon is the color keyed sweep spear (green). I had a 2 tone 57 with the Jade & Mint green.

Guest Thomas22

Well, I talked to my dad to try and get more info on the 57 Buick. We believe that grandpa bought in Zanesville Ohio, around 25 years ago. (Does not say on the title when he bought it) It was garage stored in Zanesville until about 10-12 years ago, when it was driven to its current storage location. I can check with other family members, to see if we know anything else.

The 1972 Buick was bought in Millersburg Ohio, with 42676 miles on it. (Do not know when grandpa bought it) It currently has about 71,154 miles. Grandpa used it as a daily driver for the family , for a time. We appreciate the interest. Just trying to get the word out!

The color us Jade Green, not a common color(I was under the impression it was only on earlier 57's and phased out) even more uncommon is the color keyed sweep spear (green). I had a 2 tone 57 with the Jade & Mint green.

Note the black and gray wheels. I would like someone in BCA judging would take note. This was what Buick did when the tangerine option was not wanted at the time of original purchase. There were three colors for the sweep spear; green blue and tangerine.

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

Guest Thomas22

I do not have any engine photos at the moment. I will check with my aunt to see if she can get some. Might be a few days, but I will let you know. Thanks!

Thomas, if you are going to take additional pictures, I see some service stickers on the door frame, could you take some pictures of those? Also maybe some close ups of the brake and accelerator pedals and floor mat at the accelerator. Also if you have any other documentation proving the mileage to be original please share it with us. As you probably know, the proof of the low mileage will be a serious consideration by anyone thinking about bidding on the car.

Also be very careful of doing ANYTHING to the car that might in any way alter the originality of it. I bought a well documented 13K original mile car once on eBay and did not recognize until I went to NYC to pick it up that the engine and inner fender wells had been sloppily repainted with a paint brush and the paint on the exterior buffed down to the primer. I literally got sick to my stomach when I saw it. IOW, the low mileage of this car is one of, if not it's biggest selling points, don't impact that by messing with it. Just saying :) .........

Our buy/sell forum guidelines try to deter any personal opinions of value of items posted by members so I'm sure anything that you post will be viewed with an objective eye by the members here.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest Thomas22

The original post says the car had 8000 miles. The odometer picture shows 5817, and that is correct . (My aunt verified last night) I had taken the 8000 miles from the auction bill, which apparently was a typo. My Aunt took more pictures last night. She should be sending those to me in the next day or 2.

Thomas22,

Awesome '57 Special, and please follow Mr. Earl's recommendations!

Dan & Keith,

We covered the sweepspear color change in a post some time ago, a post that also touched on wheels.

I'm glad Dan picked up on the two-tone spare with its painted felloes.

Really great time-capsule car!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest Thomas22

Hi Mr. Earl, The family has worked countless hours getting ready for the auction. Grandpa was quite the interesting man. We have even learned a lot more about him, getting ready for the auction. Would have been nice to meet you, if you were headed North to the sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas22 reported in a PM that the car was the star of the auction snd brought $12,000. He also said they heard that the buyer was not going to do anything with it but fix the brakes and drive it.

Hopefully the new owner will join us here.

• 6 months later...
Guest my3buicks

Markets go up and down, Old car prices can vary greatly depending on the economy. The fact that this was a Special in green didn't help it at all either. Had it been a flashy two tone it would have done better.

Hello all you Buick lovers,

I purchased this Special at auction and it is a true time capsule even down to the original

(I think) tires. The paint in the fender wells is still like new. I actually attended the auction to buy parts as I need no more cars. I ended up toting home 2 Buicks that weekend as I had to buy the 72 Limited as well.

There was a lot of chatter prior to the sale about what a great start this car would be for various hot

rod / mod projects and I just didn't see it that way.

Although the color is not my favorite and it has suffered some due to poor storage,it remains as it rolled off the line

and I have documentation of the mileage. The owners daughter stated that he was the second owner and

purchased the car but was not fond of Buicks and hated two door cars so it sat in storage.

I haven't done much to the car yet. I have gathered all the parts for a complete brake overhaul,cleaned it a bit

and currently have it properly stored for the winter.

In my possesion this car will remain as original as possible and will be available for documentation of original features

when I get it out of storage in the early spring. If you guys need any photos of how it was done at the factory,

just let me know and I will do my best to accomodate. One thing for sure after inspecting this car thoroughly,

we are all guilty of over restoring.

Happy motoring,

Dennis

Dennis, if I can type fast enough let me be the first to congratulate you on the purchase of this true time capsule. And to also thank you for stopping by to report your awesome purchase. I hope you will stop in often and let us know more about the car as you get deeper into it. There is a lot of knowledge here and we will appreciate any thing you might could add about the original aspects of this car.