Question

The reason the British signed a treaty was that they could not settle in New Zealand until the Maori people agreed. The Maori were (and still are) great warriors and even with the then might of the British empire Europeans were unable to settle in New Zealand without permission of the local tribes. The British wanted resources (timber, sealing and whaling bases) the Maori wanted technology (i.e.guns!) It is now mostly recognised that the Treaty off Waitangi is considered a founding document in New Zealand and it provides like many historical documents plenty of talking points but it at least offers a process of resolution other than armed conflict. Of all the places that the British empire spread to in the 18th and 19th centuries only in New Zealand did the empire sign a treaty with the indigenous tribes. It did not prevent all conflict and in the 1860s there were significant land wars between European settlers and the Maori people.

Cheers

Andrew

Indigenous tribes; in the US those were the owners of the natural wealth. The empires British, French,Spanish, and Dutch raced to sign treaties with the wealthy natural resource owners so the could exclude the other empires from trading (or stealing) that wealth. Not many celebrations around that and, for sure, a $20 bill with Andrew Jackson's picture on it will not make your lucky day.

My ancestors were the indigenous people of Ireland. Cromwell was busy there, that's probably how New Zealand got off easy.

History, imagine a group of explorers using the term "indigenous people of Earth".

Bernie

Guest Grant Magrath

I agree with Texas John! Share your take on historical events!

And Bernie, are you talking Oliver Cromwell? He was a bit before our time....... we were founded in 1840. Oh, and for the record, I'm Irish/Scottish/Maori. Don't worry. Haven't killed and eaten anyone for ages now.

Kia ora

Grant

Ben, You have lived alot of it. You guys need to share more of that with us. ie: what did you do during WW2? History from those who lived it is always more meaningful and interesting.

John, how old do think I am??? I was only about eight when Dad came BACK from Japan.

Ok, what was I doing? Throwing rocks at cars and getting caught. Bringing kittens to the house from the barn, and watching their mom carry them back. Learning the difference in girls and boys. Girls wore pink and boys wore blue. Or was it the other way around??

Ben

John, how old do think I am??? I was only about eight when Dad came BACK from Japan.

Ok, what was I doing? Throwing rocks at cars and getting caught. Bringing kittens to the house from the barn, and watching their mom carry them back. Learning the difference in girls and boys. Girls wore pink and boys wore blue. Or was it the other way around??

Ben

That's what I'm talking about. My parents generation. Things were different in some respects, huh. Knowing the past should guide our future. Too little respect for tradition nowadays.

Ben and others,

Not sure if you all realise the United States was responsible for the founding of Australia!

[h=2]History[edit][/h]British convicts were originally transported to the Thirteen Colonies in North America, but after the American Revolutionary War ended in 1783, the newly formed United States refused to accept further convicts.[1][2][3] On 6 December 1785, Orders in Council were issued in London for the establishment of a penal colony in New South Wales, on land claimed for Britain by explorer James Cook in his first voyage to the Pacific in 1770.[4][5] The fleet was commanded by Captain (later Admiral) Arthur Phillip, who was given instructions authorising him to make regulations and land grants in the colony.[6] The ships arrived at Botany Bay between 18 and 20 January 1788.[7] HMS Supply arrived on 18 January; Alexander, Scarborough and Friendship arrived on 19 January, and the remaining ships on 20 January.[8]

The cost to Britain of outfitting and despatching the Fleet was £84,000.[9][a] The colony established by members of the Fleet was instrumental in the establishment of the state of New South Wales and subsequently the Commonwealth of Australia.[11]

That's what I'm talking about. My parents generation. Things were different in some respects, huh. Knowing the past should guide our future. Too little respect for tradition nowadays.

This can't be said enough. I'm certainly glad life is "easier" now, but I also fear too many of us don't appreciate why.

I am 37 years old. I think it helps to know ages sometimes.:D

Ben

:) danhar1960 will probably give you a good idea as to my age. :)

I grew up believing my father when he told me he was a Spitfire pilot during WWII.

At Grandma's house one day I asked her if she had any pictures of Dad with his Spitfire.... "Your father was still at school when the war was on"........... :( :(

Danny