Heater core flim-flammery?

Daves1940Buick56S

I have an old aftermarket under-dash heater of unknown make, but nothing special. Finish was gold hammertone, probably late 1950s. It was pretty rusty and the motor was slow to turn so I pulled the heater out of the car. I disassembled it and took the sheet metal box to be sandblasted (I am going to repaint in black wrinkle, more in the style of 1940). I disassembled, cleaned and lubed, and reassembled the 6V motor and now it runs great (holding the brushes back is a pain).

I took the small 6"x6" heater core to a local radiator shop. After a couple of days he called and said the core was shot, lotsa leaks, need a new one, that'll be $225. Gulp. So I said no thanks and picked up the core. I tested it today - first with air at 7 lbs. Almost no leakage - what there was is attributable to my lashup. Tightened connections and filled it with water and pressurized to 7 lbs. No leakdown after 1 hour and no water leakage. Do these shop owners think we are fools? Or am I missing something? The flow seems OK so unless someone can think of something else I need to check I am reinstalling it once I get the box repainted.

Arrrrrgh!

Cheers, Dave

I have taken heater cores to a radiator shop twice and had nothing done. Once the guy said it was shot (like yours, it wasn't) and once the guy just kept it for weeks and did nothing. I think they just don't want to fool with them and they don't seem to care what we think. These old cores are also running in non pressurized systems so even if it leaks it should be fairly easy to repair yourself.

One of the things shops today do is check at excessive pressure and blow them out. The old cooling systems run at virtually no pressure (only the water height in the radiator).

My '38 46s original heater did have leaks. I took it to a radiator shop to be repaired. They said it couldn't be fixed and a new core was $675!!! (Choke).

It that price I didn't need a working heater. (it doesn't get that cold here anyway). I decided I'd still mount the heater in the car, but block the hoses - just a prop.

I got to thinking about it and decided to try to see what I could do to fix it - I had nothing to loose. I knew where the leaks were - at the header - I carefully bead blasted at a very low pressure and with a micro torch tried to solder the leaks. It took 3 very frustrating tries, bit I finally got it leak free at 5 psi.

Now I get to see how it holds up.

I have to admit that I have tried to fix radiators before and had mixed results. They are a real pain. But this time there was nothing to loose.

I have found that you need to talk with quality restoration shops and see where they get their work done. With all new vehicles having aluminum cores and high pressures, the modern shops think core replacement. The oldtimers know that they can repair most anything with a brass core. Solder can plug up holes and patch pieces can be added and soldered in place.

Bob Engle

The shop I had gone to has been there forever. I had used them before with great results. However, the old guys go away and are replaced by new guys who dont know all the old tricks. This same shop told me that my radiator couldnt be rodded, in spite of the fact that the same shop rodded my Roadmaster radiator over 25 years ago.

March 2014 Hemmings..page 84 has GM heater core information. It starts at 1960 thru the '70's, but there is no mention of dimensions.

Unless you can find a heater core manufactures catalog with dimensions, start with a popular car in the junk yard and try and find one that fits you housing. If you are lucky, (1) you find a replacement, (2) it is in good shape and can be used as is. If you find the answer to (1) at least you will know what to ask for at the auto parts store.

Hahahaha! You bet! We are abt 20 miles away in Rockville. Back in the very early 70s I went to RIT so I lived in your area for 3 yrs. We used to go up to SUNY Brockport on weekends trolling for women since the M/F ratio at RIT at the time was 7 to 1!! We also visited Geneseo, Nazareth College, Highland Hosp Nursing School, even the Rochester Business Institute (they had a dorm in an old convent on Prince St in Rochester). Sigh, good times...

Cheers, Dave

That car was restored in the 1980's by Bill Manoya and is still around somewhere. It is an easy spot as a series 40 with Century window trim and streamboards. It originally had sidemounts.

I did keep the college girl. I just got another Buick:

post-46237-143142375435_thumb.jpg

Fat chance of getting her tp wash one again.

Bernie