Buying a 78 Trans AM. What do you guys think?

Guest topangatxdan

Guest topangatxdan

Im buying a 78 Firebird TA for $1250. The body has some surface rust but thats it. It's a rebuilt 403 6.6L 23000 original miles, original stock drive train. overall needs some body work and a new transmission. nearly mint interior

post-98014-14314232138_thumb.jpg

post-98014-143142321382_thumb.jpg

post-98014-143142321383_thumb.jpg

post-98014-143142321385_thumb.jpg

post-98014-143142321387_thumb.jpg

Guest topangatxdan
Find another T/A, a 49 state car with a real Pontiac engine.

What do you mean by that ? And what would be the perks of buying a real Pontiac engine. Do you mean an olds?

Should have an automatic.The 185 horsepower Oldsmobile 403 Trans Am's were automatic only. Ask the owner if he has the grille pieces. I see an evaporator box, but no compressor. Does it come with the original Q-jet? I think that Holley will suck too much gas anyway. WS6 suspension should list P225/70R15 on the tire placard.

What do you mean by that ? And what would be the perks of buying a real Pontiac engine. Do you mean an olds?

What does it mean. Well, Pontiac people in general are quite attached to Pontiac engines in their cars. There is nothing wrong with a Olds 403 except it belongs in a Olds. Your resale value will suffer because of that, plus if you ever get that car in shape for a Pontiac car show you will find most Pontiac people don't consider your car a real Pontiac.

What does it mean. Well, Pontiac people in general are quite attached to Pontiac engines in their cars. There is nothing wrong with a Olds 403 except it belongs in a Olds. Your resale value will suffer because of that, plus if you ever get that car in shape for a Pontiac car show you will find most Pontiac people don't consider your car a real Pontiac.

Fortunately, AACA does not feel the same way, and the car is welcome to be on our show field, or on our tours. Looks like a fun project.

Fortunately, AACA does not feel the same way, and the car is welcome to be on our show field, or on our tours. Looks like a fun project.

When it comes to the rules for judging AACA is just like POCI when it comes to stock cars. We already know that West. We know if it came from the factory it's legit.

I'm talking about resale and the attitude of most Pontiac folks. A 403 Olds is bad enough in a Pontiac, but you should hear the comments about 1980-81 Firebirds with a Chevy engine. For the older generation who were ingrained with these feelings the feelings come from two places and one of the biggest prejudices came from the individual divisions themselves, who later (mid 70's) fell silent or badged their SBC's with Rocket V-8 stickers and so on. All I'm saying is resale is not as good and don't be surprised at a show if some Pontiac loyalist says " that's a nice Oldsmobile you've got there".

There seem to be a lot of extraneous wires in the engine compartment that don't appear to be original, including what looks like 2 red wires spliced together with a tan wire nut. That concerns me more than anything else. It may be a good candidate for a thorough restoration, but I wouldn't expect to get many miles out of it with just quick transmission swap.

That said, for $1200 it's a steal as a part car if only for the "mint" interior and wheels. Heck, it's probably worth $500.00 just in scrap metal.

When it comes to the rules for judging AACA is just like POCI when it comes to stock cars. We already know that West. We know if it came from the factory it's legit.

I'm talking about resale and the attitude of most Pontiac folks. A 403 Olds is bad enough in a Pontiac, but you should hear the comments about 1980-81 Firebirds with a Chevy engine. For the older generation who were ingrained with these feelings the feelings come from two places and one of the biggest prejudices came from the individual divisions themselves, who later (mid 70's) fell silent or badged their SBC's with Rocket V-8 stickers and so on. All I'm saying is resale is not as good and don't be surprised at a show if some Pontiac loyalist says " that's a nice Oldsmobile you've got there".

I owned a '78 Riviera with the 403 Olds in it. 'Best Buick and Riviera I ever owned out of about 20 Buicks, mainly Rivieras. It went 250,000 miles till I went to a newer Riv. I did'nt care about the "label" on the engine, even though it was a nice fully optioned car and I was'nt going to shows with it, so I'd say check for a transmission and buy the Pontiac for the low price on it, not worrying about some snob griping that it does'nt have Pontiac painted on the engine because the car WAS built and sold by Pontiac at the factory.

kaycee:rolleyes:

These cars are very heavy and any part you can put on a diet helps. The outside door handles are thin and break easily and can be replaced with ones off of a 4dr Bonneville about the same year. They are twice as thick and only about 1/16 of an inch longer but will last the life of the car. A very good rear sway bar can be made from the front sway bar from an early to mid 70's chevy caprice. The center of the bar is bent the same as your rear bar and just needs the ends heated and bent. Should be able to get one for under ten bucks and a little torch work! The wiring harness extension to the air conditioner compressor has a connector at the carburetor that makes the ground to the compressor smaller and it likes to melt in this connector because of it. Anything you can do to stiffen the connection between the front subframe and the rear of the car will always help handling. Beautiful cars, bad heavy, gas hungry but would own every one I could! There are many other helps you can do to the car but learn your car, drive the heck out of it and most of all enjoy it!

I owned a '78 Riviera with the 403 Olds in it. 'Best Buick and Riviera I ever owned out of about 20 Buicks, mainly Rivieras. It went 250,000 miles till I went to a newer Riv. I did'nt care about the "label" on the engine, even though it was a nice fully optioned car and I was'nt going to shows with it, so I'd say check for a transmission and buy the Pontiac for the low price on it, not worrying about some snob griping that it does'nt have Pontiac painted on the engine because the car WAS built and sold by Pontiac at the factory.

kaycee:rolleyes:

I know what your talking about here. I hope you understand my point. I have a 1976 Olds Omega Brougham that I bought and special ordered from new. The car is probably the most trouble free car I have ever had. The car also has a Chevy engine from the factory. To be honest I never thought I would have kept the car past ten years, but today I show it in a preservation class. That all being said even from the get go I always felt the car was a bastard, and comments I hear at car show from loyal Olds people on the side always back up what I know in my heart to be true.... That my car is really just a Chevy Nova.

I don't know how old you are, but in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and early 70's there was a great deal of difference between divisions and loyal customers and in my case racers. Those differences made the product better. We all had our particular brand that we drove and raced. Some of that was handed down from father to son as in my case. In those years engines and transmission types were the heart and soul of the brand you raced, or for the people who drove those cars to and from work something to cheer for at the races. To me it was never the driver, but the brand because most drivers jumped ship at better offers. There were a few who stayed brand loyal, but after those divisions were told to get out of racing most racers went to Mopar or Ford.

That brand loyalty is among us today, just go to the drag races or a NASCAR event and you will see.

Just saying what this guy should expect at a car show, yes it's a great deal and to build a 455 Pontiac or 400 Pontiac to go in there is no big deal and won't be caught by a judge at a show if it's done right.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Ths honeycomb grille peices for around the headlights can get a bit spendy. Ask me how I know

post-84610-143142322206_thumb.jpg

Otherwise $1200 is a cheap thrill even if you don't show the car. I have a blast driving my beat up hoopdy around. This winter it is getting torn down and fixed. In the end the only person who has to like the car is you. If its something you would enjoy I would say go for it.

I know what your talking about here. I hope you understand my point. I have a 1976 Olds Omega Brougham that I bought and special ordered from new. The car is probably the most trouble free car I have ever had. The car also has a Chevy engine from the factory. To be honest I never thought I would have kept the car past ten years, but today I show it in a preservation class. That all being said even from the get go I always felt the car was a bastard, and comments I hear at car show from loyal Olds people on the side always back up what I know in my heart to be true.... That my car is really just a Chevy Nova.

I don't know how old you are, but in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and early 70's there was a great deal of difference between divisions and loyal customers and in my case racers. Those differences made the product better. We all had our particular brand that we drove and raced. Some of that was handed down from father to son as in my case. In those years engines and transmission types were the heart and soul of the brand you raced, or for the people who drove those cars to and from work something to cheer for at the races. To me it was never the driver, but the brand because most drivers jumped ship at better offers. There were a few who stayed brand loyal, but after those divisions were told to get out of racing most racers went to Mopar or Ford.

That brand loyalty is among us today, just go to the drag races or a NASCAR event and you will see.

Just saying what this guy should expect at a car show, yes it's a great deal and to build a 455 Pontiac or 400 Pontiac to go in there is no big deal and won't be caught by a judge at a show if it's done right.

Hi Helfen,

I'm 72, and was nursed on Buicks. My comment meant what I said. Maybe a 20 year old with a later model Pontiac might make some remarks at a show, but I'm sure he can also tell me all abut my "28 Pontiac or '27 Marmon Little 8 both with original engines.

It is sad to see a Cadillac with a Chevy engine or a Buick with an Olds engine,but my

'85 40,000 mile Riviera with a "small" 307 Olds in it is almost a perfect fully optioned car that could go to shows but does'nt. and my '71 Corvette conv. with a 350 Chevy is the way it came from the factory (although I'd love a Buick 401,425,or 455 in it). At my age, silly "know it all" remarks never bother me, so I myself would leave any uncalled for remarks go in one ear and out the other. In my opinion the Pontiac he's looking at at the price seems like a good deal, and I'm still a diehard Buick man!

kaycee