Manifold Paint

24 Roadster

I haven't painted my '25 Dodge manifold yet, but other old car manifolds I've done with a "cast iron colored" heat proof paint that looked pretty well. Different places sell it, Eastwood for one, as well as some local places now, I think. Black just doesn't look right and silver is too bright for my semi-original Dodge. I believe Dodge painted them silver from the factory, but that is my opinion.

Thanks for the responses. My car, a 24 DB Roadster was my dads first car. Bought it out of a junk yard for $50 in 1936. My mother and dad dated in this car. The Dodge as my dad called it, sat in a field and rusted for 40 years. After retiring in 1984, he restored it to original condition. He only ask me to do two things before he died. 1. take care of your mother and 2. take care of the Dodge.

Every winter I clean and detail the engine. Everything looks so good after cleaning and touching up the paint. Then I look at that rusty manifold and wonder what other DB owners do.

Ray, I've heard some good things about the KBS coatings that you spoke of.---Dave W., You are most likely correct, factory never painted the exhaust manifolds. I just see very old paint jobs on old car's manifolds. Jack, the ceramic coatings were applied on some US car's manifolds of the '20's and '30's, as you know. Packard was one of them. It was a dark brown color. Sure was PURDY. It stood up extremely well too. I had one from 1927. Someone in Hemmings offered the re-process at one time. Don't know if they're still around. Who's to say one couldn't do that to an early Dodge? I've seen A LOT worse things done!

Here is a link to info on coating other motor stuff....not sure if this is the coating available to the public . http://www.e-techpowdercoating.com/hot_powder_coating_applications.htm

I went to Eastwoods site and it said that their normal powder does not work for exhaust manifolds.....and they were reevaluating their old high temp formula...so it wasn't available. They recommend using their header paint.

I would say you may need a special powder for that high of temps.

check out some of the ovens people build.....http://www.thepowdercoatingforum.com/forumdirectory/forum/forumdisplay.php?19-Powder-Coat-Oven-Building

Edited by AdW13 (see edit history)

Jack, have you ever tried the d.i.y. ceramic spray? I wondered if it is worthwhile as I imagine the cost saving is considerable.

Ray.

No, There is a place in Portland that I use. Very high quality.

RMS coatings.

On one of my cars I had to build my own headers, the had an exhaust shop buddy of mine make the rest. I had it silver coated from the head to the rear bumper. It has been on there for about ten years and still looks like chrome.