Dream Cars and Nightmares -- The Ford Mustang Edition

Guest Magoo

the 4 door reminds me of the "stretched" Corvette I saw in Boston area in mid '80s. It was at a limo rental garage. wish I had a picture!

I think I remember a four-door Corvette -- made Road & Track, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lordairgtar

Monogram models also had made a 4 door Vette kit, but I digress. This is about Ford Mustangs. On the scale side, IMC (Industro-Motive Corp) molded a couple of kits in 1/25th scale. The Mustang II concept and the Cougar Vignale. These later were brought out by Lindberg after they acquired the tooling from IMC. I liked the four door only because it's interesting to me. The station wagon was actually able to be purchased. Intermeccanica made a few of these based on the 65 or 66 Mustang. Quite nicely done in fact. There was one near my town I saw for a long time. It's now gone and I don't know where it went to.

Edited by lordairgtar
More info (see edit history)

My initial reaction when seeing the first car pictured was "Corvair" (roofline, tail)?

Sure, I can see it. Also some Karmann influence. To me the look is European.

I have to wonder if the dates on all of the pics are correct. Some dated 1962 look almost like the finished product. While others like the one above, also from 1962, look nothing like it.

Mustang debuted in April 64, having missed its launch date of September 63. So the design would have been finalized in 1962 . The first car must be one that got turned down. The second, 4 door proposal is dated January 63. By this time the final Mustang design would have been locked up. So this was a proposed 4 door version that also got voted down.

By the way did anyone notice how much the 65 Falcon resembles the Mustang? I saw a billboard for the new Falcon and my first thought was that they sure loused up the new Mustang lol.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

By the way did anyone notice how much the 65 Falcon resembles the Mustang? I saw a billboard for the new Falcon and my first thought was that they sure loused up the new Mustang lol.

I'm not sure I follow you,Rusty. The 65 Falcon was nearly identical to the 64 (save for a split grille) which was introduced in fall of 63. Do you mean the 66 Falcon, which was way different?

Referencing the picture of the "Shelby" looking wagon in post 14, at a Mustang and Ford show in Knoxville, Tn. several years ago, there was a gorgeous '67 Mustang wagon. The folks had used a full sized wagon's top and sectioned it down I think. I took pictures of it and they were published in the old original "Super Ford" magazine before John sold it to the big guys. The car was pale yellow, and I still have my original photos, but the magazine pics were black and white. That Shelby looking one is gorgeous too ! There was also a dark green '65 or '66 Mustang wagon on the front of a '60's magazine, Car and Driver I believe...

As for the Mustero, there was one at a Mustang meet in Chattanooga, Tn. show in the late '70's too. I think there may be more of these little lookers out there than most of us know. And for my final offer, in '68 thru '70 in Ft. Worth, Tx, there was a '58 Edsel Ranchero that was also SO tempting. Thanks for this thread, Mac, great as usual !!

I was at the US Formula one race at Watkins Glen in 1962 where Ford introduced the Mustang 1 concept car. The car was fully operational and driven on some hot laps by Dan Gurney. It was built by Troutman Barnes and is now in the Henry Ford Museum. I don't know how to load photos but images on google.