Dodge Brothers Emblem revival (not restoration)

rogerpete

Being a simple working stiff, and my father is semi retired from farming, we don't have an abundance of funds to sink into cars. We are working on his 1930 DC8, which will be a driver. This car will never sit in a museum, and we don't go to car shows that involve judging. Our cars are for fun, for driving & for cruising kids & grand kids in. That being said...

His honey comb radiator had a significant leak, and not having the funds, we patched it ourselves. You can see that thread in this forum. So now we are looking at the radiator shell for chrome. The DC8 emblem was pretty goofed up, missing quite a bit of enamel and pretty tarnished. Here is how a working stiff turned it into presentable condition, since we didn't have $400 for restoration...

I have a bad habit of not taking a picture before I start something.post-93409-143142165668_thumb.jpg but here is a picture after about an hour of rubbing with a compound designed for fogged headlights. The Dodge Brothers lettering & 6 point star have started to shine, but I have been very careful not to rub down the raised edges on the DB8 portions. Once I was happy with the results, I used the buffing wheel on my dremel, and touched up the sides.

post-93409-143142165698_thumb.jpgwiping everything down with Naptha to clean real good, this completed my work for now. I have about 4-5 hours as of right now. I then go to my local hobby shop and buy, (brace yourselves), Testors enamel model paint. I picked up some light blue and white. I am now $4.35 into this project of purchased supplies I didn't have...

Mixing the two colors, I got the right light blue I was looking for. I popped a hole in an egg container, and dropped the emblem into the hole, so it would lay flat, and just a little closer to my eyes.

You have a couple options at this point, assuming you can see this small. You can load the paint into a syringe, you can buy a detail brush, (which is like 7 bristles on a handle) or even cheaper yet...again I hope your sitting down...a book of matches.

If you pull a match out of the book, and take a razor, cut off the head at an angle. Now you have a disposable paint applicator that is great for detail work.

So apply the paint to the missing areas. If you thin the paint, it levels pretty nice. Give it 3-4 days of air drying to cure, then clear coat it with lacquer. post-93409-143142165721_thumb.jpgIs it perfect? No. Does it look good at 12" away, Dang great if I do say so myself. Other then time? I have less then $9 in the project. Sorry for the light glare on the last photo, the clear coat gave this thing a mirror like finish!

I am sure there are some "purists" out there that say Poo-Poo on Roger! But in reality, this is not a Rolls Royce. This is a Dodge, a working mans car. And these working men like driving their Dodge.

Besides, this saved money for chrome, and I know that is gonna be a lot of money.........

(hope I didn't offend any Rolls Royce non working men out there :D)

Edited by rogerpete (see edit history)

I am very impressed with the work you did on your Dodge's emblem.

I have a DC8 roadster which is almost finished after about 40 years and many setbacks along the way.. At some time in it's life the DC8 emblem was stolen, and also the Fedco plate so at least you had a start on me. Believe me they are thin on the ground but I have one on the way now.

What condition and body style is your Dodge DC8?

I'm hoping to get a few pictures up on the site soon.

Cheers.

Jim

1930 Dodge DC8 Richards roadster.

1961/2 Morris Mini 850

1974 Landrover ex military 6 cylinder (farm work horse)

I am very impressed with the work you did on your Dodge's emblem.

I have a DC8 roadster which is almost finished after about 40 years and many setbacks along the way.. At some time in it's life the DC8 emblem was stolen, and also the Fedco plate so at least you had a start on me. Believe me they are thin on the ground but I have one on the way now.

What condition and body style is your Dodge DC8?

I'm hoping to get a few pictures up on the site soon.

Cheers.

Jim

1930 Dodge DC8 Richards roadster.

1961/2 Morris Mini 850

1974 Landrover ex military 6 cylinder (farm work horse)

Dads 1930 DC8 is a rumble seat coupe, and he has had DC8's since the 1950's. I am just a tire kicker. I will post some photos of the radiator, the newly chromed shell, (when we get there), and the emblem once we get them back in. We have a "good" Dodge 8 emblem (the silver cast metal cut out letters, not the enamel one like in this thread), for the radiator, and we have a "bad" spare Dodge 8 emblem, with a piece of the 8 missing. We are gonna cut some brass and solder/braze it into the missing spot, and have it chromed just to see if we can do it. With dad's common sense knowledge & my "what do we have to lose?" attitude, I am willing to bet we will have another thread on how to repair broken pot metal emblems...:)

I like the way you have had a go at doing it yourself. I take this approach myself. I often use enamel model paint in the way you have and I also like the results. You get a sort of kick from doing it yourself and if anyone with their deep pockets thinks it should be done differently they can go *****!!

• 4 weeks later...

That looks great!

Coincidentally, I am currently restoring the old rad shell on my '26 touring. I have never taken on such a challenging job - the steel shell was rather pitted with rust which has ruined the original nickel so this has been removed with a flap wheel; dings and dents removed and the wavy surface now flat, I am now ready to "brush" electro plate new nickel. This project will be covered in a new thread.

keep up the good work!

Ray.