Stuck in 3rd, wheels won't roll

Pomeroy41144

Went for a ride this morning in my 1937 Ford 85hp and when I was attempting to shift up to third just after rounding a shallow corner the car skidded to a halt. The car is now stuck in third gear and I can't get the shift lever to move. The car will not roll on the rear wheels.

Car has been towed with great care to my house about 1.5 miles away. I need to get it unstuck so I can get the car back to my storage place then I can start fixing. I will get under it later on and try and see what is up and perhaps even repair it. If not, I need to get the car back to the garage and drop the trans and rear end. Would like to at least get it unstuck so it can roll.

When I first took off in the morning, there was a lot of clutch chatter in first, but seemed to settle down with time. The car performed excellent last night but this morning I am stuck in third gear and the car won't roll. What should I look for? Any obvious culprits to point to? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I would start by removing the center front floor over the trans. and then remove the shifting tower and look inside.

Hopefully, you may just find a bent fork. It is possible that you could have it in two gears at the same time.

While you are at it, put a magnet inside down to the bottom and see if there are any little metal critters lurking around.

Will not roll with the clutch depressed.

Sounds like it can't be stuck in two gears, if you described the sequence correctly.

I am thinking the trans has seized up, due to lack of oil.

I would also agree that it is time to pull the top cover. You can rock the gears a little with a small bar, if it is not seied.

Jack one rear wheel off the ground, and also push the clutch pedal down, to see what moves with a bar.

I am thinking the trans has seized up, due to lack of oil.

There was trans oil in there. I just drained the trans oil, almost all there. I did find metal in the trans oil this A.M. Here is a photo of the two largest pieces. The rest are very very small shavings. The trans oil has a sheen on it like brown metal flake paint.

post-75225-14314212767_thumb.jpg

post-75225-143142127699_thumb.jpg

If you need to get it back into the garage in order to work on it, a set of tire skates should do the job.

Thanks,

Need to get it back across town to where I store it and then down a narrow semi improved driveway to the garage. It would help tremendously if I can get the car to roll.

You need to pull the shift tower and look inside. I had the same thing happen with a 40 Ford, years ago. It was stuck in two gears at the same time. I slid the trans into neutral, realigned the forks and buttoned it up. It was good for years after that.

Kinda what I was thinking for the remedy.

The metallic pieces aren't a good sign. My guess is the shifter or fork broke leaving the trans in second while it shifted into third. That locks the trans up solid. You may be able to shift back out of third by rocking the car to unload the gears while trying to shift. If that works you won't be locked up but still stuck in second. the car should then be driveable in second only or push/pullable with the clutch depressed..............Bob