Hot Rods In the AACA System

My concern is not so much about the admission of historic Hot Rods as the manner in which it is being done.<P>I was there, on the Board, on the Judging Committee, and I do believe I was the VP of Class Judging when stock cars were accepted.<BR>I can see little or no difference between the two as far as authenticity is concerned. If you accept one, what arguement can there be for not accepting the other.<P>Whether we personally like or dislike stock cars or hot rods is not the issue here. <P>Go back and reread my opening post. I was, and still am, objecting to the devious, underhanded manner in which this has been conducted. When we considered stock cars, meetings were held, discussion groups met and <B>THE ENTIRE BOARD OF DIRECTORS WAS INVOLVED, WITH FULL ADVANCE KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROPOSAL.</B> If you will reread Director John Myer's post of a few days ago, it is clear that there are some members of the Board who were not included in this operation.<P>It is my understanding that a group of Directors have gotten together in the back rooms and now claim to have all the votes they need to ramrod this thing through the Board. That stinks.<P>This is <B>NOT</B>. a pro or anti Hot Rod issue. It is an issue of right or wrong. If a group of National Directors will work behind the backs of their fellow Directors, does it make you wonder what else they might be up to behind <B>YOUR</B> back?<P>All I suggest is that NO FINAL VOTE be taken at the upcoming Board meeting and that a committee of Directors and general members of the AACA be appointed to study the issue and give a report at the next Board of Directors meeting. There will still be adequate time to admit the Rods in 2003 IF the vote is favorable, which I expect it will be.<P>Now where do I stand on the issue? After considerable thought, I do not see any difference between a documented stock car and a documented Hot Rod. I DO however see a great deal of difference between a ramrodding job on the Board and a full and open discussion with all evidence disclosed to ALL DIRECTORS in advance.<P>hvs<p>[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: hvs ]

I may be one of the younger generation AACA members, but I have a question about the subject. Back in the 60's couldn't you go to a car dealer and buy a race car through them? <BR> Although it was before my time, I was thinking Chrysler did it with Petty Enterprises, and Ford did it with Holman & Moody, and I was thinking that they had cars that were built for drag racing and SCCA racing as well. <BR> Later on, I was thinking that Jack Roush, Steve Saleen and Bud Moore had their hands in the market as well. Actually wouldn't some of the cars built by Briggs Cunninham and Carroll Shelby fall into those categories as well? <BR> Without disrespecting anyone, wouldn't that type of car be more acceptable than a street rod? If my information is correct, would a race car bought through a dealership hold a little more weight than a home built street rod? A home built street rod would be tougher to prove its own credibility more than a race car unless it had some lineage.<BR> I'm just trying to increase the thought process without upsetting anyone. I'll talk to you later, We've got to go hunting for Taliban, they're in season over here.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Let me begin by saying I am NO expert!<P>Having said that, it is my understanding that AACA judges cars by the way they came from the factory, not the way they came from the dealer. I assume that means that in 25 years, if I had one of those $60K Roush Mustangs (doubt that will ever happen wink.gif" border="0), even if in showroom condition, it would not be allowed in AACA because it was modified after leaving the factory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.<P>I have no strong feelings one way or the other. If the powers that be do decide to do this, I hope that they stick by the rule about the modifications having to be 25 years old.

First of all, HVS, amen to your last post. The leaders of AACA should conduct the business of the club in a completely open enviroment. No excuse for doing anything else!<P>Model A. If you start splitting hairs as what comes from the "factory" you will really throw the AACA classes and elegibility into a "tizzy". What is the distinction from a Rollston body to a Roush Mustang. Did Hurst Oldsmobiles come from the factory? Not really. There were more cars past and current that were done as we call today "second stage". The factory gives the car to a company to modify. This has been done to more cars than I can count and done in more different ways as well.<P>I will never own one of these historic hot rods but I can not see any reason to disqualify a DOCUMENTED restoration of an early rod. Inclusion seems to be what we should strive for. Let's face it, the hobby continually changes and the club needs to change with it. <P>Example: I belong to a club that represents a particular marquee but its members did not like being around the modern cars so they formed another club with year limits. Now there are two major clubs representing this brand and both are essentially representing many of the same members. The club with the year restrictions is finding it difficult obtaining new members. Change with the times!

i second that amen on conducting decisions up front. i'm no expert either, but if you look in the judging manual there are classes for hurst olds and yenco chevys, as there should be.i think i even think i remember a fitch or yenco corvair at hershey.the general never made them either.in another 25 years i hope i'm still here to look at a hennisey viper or roush mustang at an aaca event.

And lets hope that the officials of other car clubs are listening! Believe me, people will do underhanded things to satisfy and further their own agendas in ANY group, but it seems car clubs can be some of the worst.<P>Documentation is going to be key here. In the case of late-model "tuner" cars, there's a paper trail all the way back to the MSO, so those won't be hard to prove when their time in AACA comes. Early home-built cars will be harder to prove. If owner can provide documents, let 'em in.

Just for the record, I did not mean to imply that a Roush Mustang should or should not be allowed, just that my understanding of the rules was such that it would not be allowed. I personally have no objection to Hurst Olds (or Roush Mustangs, when the time comes) being accepted. I just thought that they would not. <P>I have no REAL objections to hot rods that were modified at least 25 years ago, BUT I would hate to see that open the door to eventually allowing fiberglass bodied '34 Fords with 350 Chevy's under the hood, or allowing antiques that were street rodded last year.<P>It sounds like it may be a done deal anyway. I'm sure I can live with whatever decision is made.

I agree about the fiberglass bodies. This is almost like Pandora's box. You've got some of these "replicars" that will be approaching the 25 year mark very soon. I can remember as a kid when they made those Model A's on the Pinto chassis way back when. <BR> As for the Roush Mustang's, you're right, but on the same token, Carrol Shelby's products would fall into the same category as well. When you think about it, the AC Cobra was actually a (Brittish?) sports car with a Ford engine put into it, and the Shelby Mustangs weren't a factory Ford car either. Whatever the club decides as a group, we need to look at the whole picture from both sides of the spectrum. <BR> Still as I've said before, anyone can take a car out of a field and make it look like an old style street rod, but I still think that to restore a car back to its original condition takes more patience, skill and tallent. <BR> Theoreticly speaking, if this class were to develop, what would stop someone from taking a '32 Ford coupe (or any vehicle) with AACA Grand National status on it, and turning it into a an old time street rod and still showing it in AACA? I know that this may sound far fetched, but there are people in this world who are warped enough to take a beautifully restored car and "butcher" it into a street rod (modern or old style). We've all been to enough shows to know that there are some people who are able to live where money is no object, and when boredom sets in, there may be someone who would do something like that just to prove a point.<BR> Howard, I commend you for starting this thread. This was a good topic, and it makes my 6,000+ miles away from home feel a little bit closer. Man what I'd give to be in home in our shop (with my dad) and out to the shows, but duty calls. Thanks to technology (the internet), it makes life a little more tolerable. Just to give you a heads up on life over here, most of the Russian vehicles are total junk, the people aren't real trustworthy, and there aren't any KRISPY KREMES!!

my concern with this is where did the idea come form and shouldn't the full menbership have an opportunity to either say yes or no to something that seems so different then the usual adding of a class. I read with interest that documentation for this would be the use of HOT ROD Magazine several years ago I was told that a picture in a magazine was unacceptable documentation. Wouldn't this class then put that out the window for all classes. The idea being what's good for one is good for all. Just had to say I think something this different needs the entire membership vote before it is taken before the board.

Howard, under the category of "things that make you say hmmmmmmm" is the fact that I really do not see the leadership of AACA reacting in any manner to your post! It seems to me awhile ago that someone in a leadership position said that they would pay more attention to this site and answer questions as they occur.<P>The AACA discussion forum was a great idea and all those that have worked hard to start it and keep it going are to be commended. However, if questions about club business are not responded to by those in authority the site is diminished in its effectiveness.<P>I know people can ask questions at the National Meeting but not everyone can attend the function. This is AACA's site so SOMEONE should respond to these issues when they crop up.<P>I do not think this is "just politics" but a very important issue with every club. If you volunteer to be in a position of leadership than you must realize your duty is to your members. I am not pointing any particular fingers but it does gall me that SOME, I repeat SOME folks volunteer for the honor of the position and not the good of the club. <P>All that being said, I hope someone answers your concerns!

Gentlemen, I've been a member of the AACA for some years now. It amazes me how a new "proposal" can get people so upset. I'm sure that the board will take plenty of time in the future working through this issue. Their are many good points in bringing historic "Hot Rods" into our club. As former President Doug Drake has said, our most important issue should be getting new young people in the club. The only way to do that is to make it interesting to the young people. So, We have to keep our mind open to any new historic vehicles that possibly meet our standards. If we don't keep up with the changing times, We will all be left behind. Thank You, Wayne Burgess

Jerry, Thank you for the additional information. I don't think most people know how the Race Vehicle Certification Commette works. If they did, there wouldn't be any worry about a flood of Historic Hot Rods. This will not bring in too many "younger" members. The "Historic Hot Rods" that were at Pebble Beach were worth 5-10 times the value of their "as they left the factory"AACA First Place wining counterparts. As to the National Board, why would every member know what was going on? I thought that there were different commettes that presented information and reports at the board meetings. This research project has been under way since 2000. I do hope the Historic Hot Rod class is approved, but can't believe that there will be a lot of additional cars on the showfield.<p>[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: 1937hd45 ]

As we discuss the pros and cons of establishing a class for pre 1949 authenticated Hot Rods, I thought it would be interesting to look at the original purpose of the AACA. I found the following prospectus and statement of purpose from 1944. Membership at that time was approaching 350 members! The emphasis at that point in our hobby was preservation, collection, and exhibition of automobiles and automobiliana that were twenty-five years old or older in consideration of their future historical interest. The purpose was to perpetuate memories of the pioneering days of automobiling. The by-laws provided for a membership committee to pass on the qualifications of prospective members and whose decisions would be conclusive concerning the age and specification of member's cars for club purposes and records.<BR> Certainly there have been revisions of these documents through the years; but I think it is instructive to review the ideas of our founding fathers. The actual criteria used for qualifying cars is not stated. In the broad sense of perpetuating memories of pioneering days of automobiling by the preservation, collection and exhibition of vehicles 25 years old or older; authentic, pre 1949 Hot Rods would be of historical interest. I find it interesting that several contributors to this thread have commented that these original Hot Rods, that are of historical value, generate little interest at the contemporary shows. Perhaps AACA is the proper venue for the exhibition of these vehicles!<P>Prospectus<BR>The Antique Automobile Club of America<BR>(Reprinted from Volume 8, Number 2 of The Antique Automobile July, 1944)<P> Interest in early automobiles became evident in the Philadelphia area before 1932. In that year the officials who conducted the Philadelphia Automobile Show decided to inaugurate, as an added attraction, a derby in which cars twenty-five years, or older, could participate. Prizes were offered for longest distance traveled, appearance, age, and road-worthiness of car. Although many aspects of the feature left room for improvement, the affair was such a success that it was continued with modifications each year until 1940, when the automobile show was discontinued. Some of the participants in the early derbies soon realized that a group or organization for old car owners would serve to promote the aims of old car operators, so in November 1935 the Antique Automobile Club of America was formed with fourteen charter members. The activities of the club centered around the annual derby until about 1937, when the officers decided to hold other events of interest. It was in this year that the club Bulletin first appeared in mimeographic form as contrasted to our present handsome, "The Antique Automobile."<BR> From this start the Club has now grown until it boasts a membership of enthusiasts scattered over the United States and England. The original Club Constitution was redrafted, and meetings were held every month at the home of some member. It was found that the enthusiasm and interest aroused in the collection and exhibition of the early cars grew very rapidly. At the present time the Antique Automobile Club holds its own annual outing in which numerous cars participate, and it has inaugurated an annual banquet which proved to be a tremendous success in 1940. In addition, there have been many activities of a minor nature including participation in local parades and pageants, as well as short tours to nearby points of interest.<BR> Since the founding of our club, two very active clubs have been formed in other sections of the country. This has served to promote a feeling of mutual interest between the more widely scattered members, due in part to the fact that a great many enthusiasts belong to all three of the clubs.<BR> The original thought in limiting membership to owners of vintage cars has been discarded, because it soon appeared that there were many collectors in allied fields who were tremendously interested. Their collections include emblems, nameplates, lamps, horns, books, catalogs, literature, advertisements, and pictures. In addition we have found many who are simply fascinated in seeing and talking about the cars and former experiences, although they are in no way collectors.<BR> We who are living in the period 1900-on are witnessing one of the most extraordinary changes that has yet come over the human race in such a short period of time. This change can be traced directly to the introduction of the self-propelled vehicle, which, of course, in turn led to the practical application of the airplane. It is entirely fitting that the history and the models of this momentous period should be preserved for generations to come, and not only preserved passively in a museum, but actively in order to show how they operated. It is necessary to collect and record, from those who can still remember, the trials and tribulations which accompanied the early days of motoring. Some of our older members recall vividly their first-hand experiences during those times. Younger ones have had it handed down to them by word of mouth. Others of us can remember how, as youngsters, we were permitted to squeeze the bulb horn, or perhaps to hand tools for frequent repairs.<BR> And in all we sincerely feel that ours is a worthwhile hobby which will, in years to come, prove of tremendous historical interest, and we extend a cordial invitation to anyone, regardless of age or sex, whose interest has been aroused, to join us in this fascinating pastime.<P>Constitution and By-laws<BR>Article I - Organization and Purpose<BR>Sec. 1. The name of this organization shall be the Antique Automobile Club of America.<BR>Sec. 2. The purpose of this organization shall be to perpetuate memories of the pioneer days of automobiling by encouraging the preservation and collection of antique automobiles and automobiliana.<P>Article X - Membership Committee<BR>Sec. 1. The president shall appoint...to<BR> (a) Obtain new members.<BR> (B) Pass upon qualifications of prospective members<BR> © Assist in the identification of cars of members and prospective members.<BR>Sec. 2. The decision of the Membership Committee as to age and specifications of cars shall be conclusive for club purposes and records.

I would like to dispel some wrong information and correct a misconception about what this class represents. I see the term "Street Rod" used a lot in this discussion. That is wrong terminology. A "Street Rod" is a vehicle made from original parts, aftermarket reproduction parts with many of the current comforts of modern vehicles such as power steering, A/C, rack & pinion suspensions etc. The point is, it's a old body style rebuilt to include modern conveniences. This is NOT what we are talking about! A "Hot Rod" is an original car manufactured and then rebuilt or "Modified" if you will, to reduce weight, increase speed and performance or to test technology such as disc brakes. I'm sure some of you are aware that Preston Tucker planned to use Kinmount disc brakes on his production cars. He got the idea from seeing them used successfully on race cars and HOT RODS of the day. The point of all this is, The Historic Hot Rod Class is to recognize vintage Hot Rods that were reconstructed from an automobile originally manufactured prior to 1949, must retain a preponderance of the major components that were utilized during its reconstruction and documentation will be required to establish that the vehicle was originally modified at least 25 years prior to the date of application to compete in this category. The vehicle must appear as it did during the period of time for which you are documenting and requesting AACA certification. In other words these cars may have magazine features, show car awards, have been built by someone who had a role in automotive history at a later date or for whatever reason does not qualify for Class 24A since it did not compete in a competition event. It still has Historic significance based on how it was built and the history that came after, just like any race car in Class 24A & B. Vic Edelbrock built a hot rod and then developed one of the best known speed parts aftermarket industries in the world. Stuart Hilborn, Jimmy Franklin, Barney Navarro, Kong Jackson, Eddie Meyer and the list goes on. All of these pioneers started as hot rodders, how can we acknowledge them and their contributions the automotive industry and ignore the cars that helped them design and test their products and technology.<BR>Thank You<BR>Jerry Duncan

Do your homework, Whitefield. As he has stated twice in this thread, it isn't the proposal that has him "pissed off", as you put it.

Okay, I'm relatively new, and know very little about judging, etc. When we create a new 'class' such as the racing class or the preservation, or in this case the possible 'Hot Rod' class, do they get their own judging rules? And do they not have their own awards such that they would not be competing with the other classes? <P>It is my understanding that the primary focus of AACA is "historic preservation." Perhaps we are all missing the true point. Is it not ultimately the definition of 'historic preservation' that is at question. The real issue has nothing to do with hot rods or race cars, but with what is or is not 'historic'.<P>I think we should all step back and cool down and think this through. Lest we all get confused by the distinction between the history of automakers and the history of automobiles the two are not one and the same.<P>Rich<p>[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: Roadster Rich ]

Good point Rich. As far as I'm concerned it should be the automobiles. However it can also be said that the manufacturers were influenced by the hot rodders. On the proposal I am a little confused are the cars pre 1949 or 25 years? If 25 years is the critera then fiberglass bodies were available at that time. My buddies and I had a glass body on a rod in the early 60s. Actually if I still had it I could show it as a race car which was its purpose in life. Al

How many pre 1949 historic documented hot rods are really out there? I am assuming that we are talking about vehicles like the So-Cal Special that were at Pebble Beach?<P>Would there be 10, 20 or 30 cars that could possibly be documented as historic hot rods, or are we looking at a new class that may only have 2 to 6 cars at a national meet? Just wondering.

Ron it depends on how valuable they are. <P>Overheard at a recent vintage sports car race, "Of the original three factory-built Gran-Sport Corvettes, seven are here today". wink.gif" border="0

This is a interesting thread. I seen this "Happy Days" Ford mentioned on here sitting in a Carlisle flea market once. I need somebody to explain to me what historic value it has, other than being on a old TV show for a few minutes. I can't think of one thing about it that helped enhanced the automotive market and engineering. It looked like it took somebody a whole weekend to build. This all sounds to me like a bunch of double talk to get all hot rods in the AACA.<P> I hope the entire membership gets a say in this once they find it out. If not, then it's bad politics at it's best!<P> Tony

Guest HeyPop

I'm a fairly new AACA member and to put into perspective why I joined AACA, I have 'antique' vehicles and wanted to share ideas and information with others owning antique vehicles. I was also born in a era when 'duece' coupes and 'street rods' were abundant and coming into their own. Even then, my idea of a hot rod was the 32 my father had with cutouts, twin carbs and a 'rumble seat'. Anything other than a factory vehicle with add on equipment to boost horsepower as best as could be with little or no need to radically change looks or mechanics was a 'street rod' and there are clubs specifically for them. I don't envy the task all those of you in the position to rule on this has. Remember... as we get older, the term antique or collectable starts to apply to things manufactured during the 70's.... scary huh?

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

HVS, Sorry to put words in your mouth, it is true, HVS has favored ballot reform and not direcetor reform. It was my mis statement.<BR>We seem to have many views on this topic, could we all go back to things we agree on, like the museum and KK's.<P>P.S. I have been on vacation for a week, just now getting to the forum. frown.gif" border="0<p>[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: SalG ]

Whitefield ~ Now is that any way to treat an old phart. smile.gif" border="0 My job is to give high blood pressure, not get it. rolleyes.gif" border="0 But you get an A for effort, but an F for success. wink.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Yes, when will the membership get to know the outcome of the vote? As I understand things this is going to allow "Documented" Hot Rods, NOT anyones fenderless car, to be shown in a new class. There may be as many as 100 "Documented Race Cars" in class 24 AB&C in AACA and that class has been around for over 25 years.

It has been 6 days since the board made its decision. What was it. There has been 69 posts on here and only 1 from a director and he didn't seem to happy about how this was being done.<P>Where are our <I>elected</I> national directors. At the start of this page oldscarnut asked that question and said we had been promised that they would add to our knoledge on the forum. I guess they work better in back rooms then out in the open where we can see them. how long will it take for one of them to get the guts to come on here with what the vote was.

I was under the impression that an AACA official was going to post the results of this proposal, however I see that it has not happened. I received a call from a Class Judging Official and the Executive Director of the AACA to tell me that the proposal for a class to recognize Historic Hot Rods has passed with a large majority vote. After discussion and viewing a video which clearly explained the class and it's purpose, many of those members originally opposed to this class changed their mind and voted for it. The class will begin in 2003 as a Non-judged Display Only and then it will be a judged class in 2004. For those of you who support this class Thank You! and to those who do not, I respect your right to disagree.<BR>Jerry Duncan - Chairman, Historic Hot Rod Committee

This is a plea for giving the Directors a break. The Board meeting was last Thursday. Most of the Directors stayed for the Cedar Rapids meet and am sure they had some catching up when they got home. In any case the results of the decision they made are not official until the minutes are written. Am confident they will respond soon. wink.gif" border="0

This is great news, but I feel a bit older now. Back in 1961 I was a ten year old placing two quarters on the counter to buy my first issue of Hot Rod Magazine. That was the July issue with the Beach Boys Coupe on the cover, still have it and all the other issues. That is a truely "Historic" Hot Rod to me, glad to know it will someday be on the AACA field.

Maybe some of us just don't realize how grateful we should be to know that Jerry Duncan is now the spokesman for the AACA Board of Directors.<P>A man with no official capacity beyond chairing a one issue committee is hardly the person to report on the proceedings of an AACA Board of Directors meeting. He was not present at the Board meeting and can only report what he was told, which may or may not be totally accurate. In any event, as Father Ron stated, nothing is official until the minutes of that meeting are approved.<P>For the third time, the Hot Rods are not the primary reason for this thread being started. It is the way the issue has been handled that has upset many members. That is still the issue! <P>Now please Mr. Duncan, let the Directors speak for themselves and inform the membership fully and accurately. They were there when the issue was decided, you weren't.<P><BR>Father Ron ~ The Directors have had more than enough time for someone to come on the Forum and inform the membership of the decision on the Hot Rods, or must we await minutes approval in October?<P>Terry Bond is a Director, and Chair of the ballot study committee, who remained in Cedar Rapids for the weekend and he had no trouble in posting a report on the outcome of the 5-7 ballot reform issue two days ago.<P>Where are Russ Fisher and Joe Vicini, the leaders on this issue? They owe the membership a report. If Terry can do it, they should be able to also. But maybe they assigned their responsibility to the committee chairman. <P>In any event, Terry Bond started a new thread to inform the membership of the Board's action on the ballot question. The backers of this issue should do the same and remove the reporting of the Board's decision from all the extraneous material on this thread.<P>How about it gentlemen?<P>hvs<p>[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: hvs ]

Can anyone answer my question above regarding how many historic hod rods may be out there (ballpark) and how many we may see at a meet assuming that most owners belong to the AACA.<P>I was at a local car show this past weekend with about 350 vehicles and came across a 30 something Ford build in the mid 40's that had a plaque that stated "historic hot rod", I kid thee not!It stated that it was build by so and so of which I never heard of and used to have a Buick engine. The Owner had everything documented. The car now has a 327 Chevy and about 50 decals on the firewall. I assume if he puts a Buick motor in it and can document the paint, decals, etc that he could could show in the AACA? I did not mention to him about the new class because I believe there are many like him out there that will try to enter the new class, be turned down and end up hating the AACA. Just my 2 cents. I do like the real historic hot rods though.

Can anyone answer my question above regarding how many historic hod rods may be out there (ballpark) and how many we may see at a meet assuming that most owners belong to the AACA.<P>I was at a local car show this past weekend with about 350 vehicles and came across a 30 something Ford build in the mid 40's that had a plaque that stated "historic hot rod", I kid thee not!It stated that it was build by so and so of which I never heard of and used to have a Buick engine. The Owner had everything documented. The car now has a 327 Chevy and about 50 decals on the firewall. I assume if he puts a Buick motor in it and can document the paint, decals, etc that he could could show in the AACA? I did not mention to him about the new class because I believe there are many like him out there that will try to enter the new class, be turned down and end up hating the AACA. Just my 2 cents. I do like the real historic hot rods though.

I just re-read Jerry Duncan's post wherein he stated that the Hot Rods would be exhibited in 2003 and judged in 2004.<P>Golly, I was told in no uncertain terms by some of the AACA Directors after the Board meeting in Cedar Rapids, that this was to be an exhibition class and that they were NOT going to be judged.<P>Were they uninformed as to what they had just voted on or were they hoping that they could cloud the issue by leading us to believe that it was for exhibition only, and just forgetting to mention 2004. It will arrive in 18 months, you know.<P>Maybe the reason none of the Directors have come on to inform us of the decision is because the majority, the group who voted in favor of the motion, don't know exactly what they voted for. rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs<p>[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: hvs ]

After reading Mr. Duncans "report" just now, it makes me wonder why he is given personal phone calls within a weeks time, when the general membership has been left in total darkness for 2 years now. How many Antique Automobile magazines have been put out since this was first started? I would only think there would be enough room in one of the issues to let us know this proposal was being considered and by who. Was it? Did I miss reading it?<P> What a sad day for the members of the AACA in having these leaders named here, go doing this behind our backs. In all this time they have been working on getting this passed, it's funny they never mentioned any of it when they were running for the board.<P> Fred R.

Could someone in the records department tell us how many "Certified" Race Vehicles there are at this time in AACA? My guess is about 100, since the documentation process started. I don't think you'll see an equal amount of "Documented" Hot Rods. Why? Because there were far more race vehicles built than Hot Rods. If the Hot Rod class is to be a judged class I'll be more than happy to help judge it, along with the race vehicles I've judged since 1976.