Title question

Guest denny_W121

Guest denny_W121

If I got a vehicle from a friend of mine that had stored the vehicle for 20 yrs at her farm. Doesn't have the title, how would I go about getting a title? I know each state is different but there has to be a general process.

Usually best if the the current owner applies for a "duplicate" title. This can be done by going to a notary or a DMV office depending on state. Look up the specific state DMV website and there should be instructions for a duplicate title.

Guest denny_W121

Problem is he has about 60 cars out there and he's an old man and doesn't remember which ones he had titled in his name and witch ones he bought and just stuck out there. He bought these cars from all over the US. Is there anyway I can do a VIN search on my own to find out what State it was titled in or does that even matter?

Well, with a name like Denny and a AB address, I bet you aren't a German citizen looking to import the car. Even so, I would keep shopping. With no title it is best to just walk. Some states might issue a non-transferable title that converts to transferable after one year. Cars from open air museums have enough problems and expenses without ownership issues.

Bernie

denny W121,

First, thanks for your service, as I see you are communicating from Germany. So your situation is further complicated by the distance and time factor. So, you are going to need some help.

It seems a bit more complicated that you have this gift from "her", yet you mention they belong to "an old man", so sure enough, depending on the car, you may have some other relatives arguing about who gets to take, or give away, the cars. I am no legal expert in these matters, but I think you really need to get the owner (he or she) to make sure they have the paperwork. If you do not know which state it was last registered, you probably should start withthe state the car is located, to see if they have anything on the VIN. If possible, as there are often problems with other interested parties, you might want to consider getting the car in your posession until it is clarified. But that can get into legal situations as well. Only you know the actual situation, so I think I will leave it at this for now. I hope this is a desirable car and worth the effort, but if it is, I am sure there are other people with an interest. Good luck. If you were to indicate the state they are now located, I would think someone on this forum could be of some local help.

John

Problem is he has about 60 cars out there and he's an old man and doesn't remember which ones he had titled in his name and witch ones he bought and just stuck out there. He bought these cars from all over the US. Is there anyway I can do a VIN search on my own to find out what State it was titled in or does that even matter?

That complicates it. So the car has no plates on it or perhaps a safety inspection sticker that would indicate the state last registered? Check for clues first.

Otherwise just call the DMV in the state you want to title it in and ask about the procedure for titling an abandon vehicle and they will direct you on the process. Be prepared to do some legwork and time. I've never done it but heard it can sometimes be a difficult though doable task as long as it doesn't come up stolen or a lien against it.

Guest denny_W121
denny W121,

First, thanks for your service, as I see you are communicating from Germany. So your situation is further complicated by the distance and time factor. So, you are going to need some help.

It seems a bit more complicated that you have this gift from "her", yet you mention they belong to "an old man", so sure enough, depending on the car, you may have some other relatives arguing about who gets to take, or give away, the cars. I am no legal expert in these matters, but I think you really need to get the owner (he or she) to make sure they have the paperwork. If you do not know which state it was last registered, you probably should start withthe state the car is located, to see if they have anything on the VIN. If possible, as there are often problems with other interested parties, you might want to consider getting the car in your posession until it is clarified. But that can get into legal situations as well. Only you know the actual situation, so I think I will leave it at this for now. I hope this is a desirable car and worth the effort, but if it is, I am sure there are other people with an interest. Good luck. If you were to indicate the state they are now located, I would think someone on this forum could be of some local help.

John

John, it is a situation but not a dificult one. We (My wife & I) have a friend (she) that takes care of her fathers old Chicken farm in AR. He has gave me his blessing over the phone to remove what I would like to restore for myself, but I have to deal with his daughter (our friend) since he doesn't want to deal with it...pretty simple...lol

I haven't decided what car I want to pull out of there yet. I will be in germany for another 2 weeks then My family & I move back to the states and we'll be stationed in IL. So once I get back I will be making a trip down to his/her farm to take more detailed pictures and get more info on each of the cars before I make my desicions most of the cars are from the mid 40-50's and most are complete minus maybe a peice or two of chrome.

Dennis

The seller probably has a bigger problem than you. In Texas, a scrap yard will not take a car without a title. They would need to be cut up before being sold. If the owner/seller wants to get rid of the vehicles (and they have any value more than scrap) they will need to get titles.

It may be worth their efforts to get a lawyer. However, with steel prices today, any cars is worth about $300-500 in scrap

There is a national title search website. I went through this a couple of months back when I bought my car - since I bought over the internet, I wanted some independent evidence that the car wouldn't come up as stolen when I took the old title to the DMV. Start at www.vehiclehistory.gov. Though it's a government database, it links out to commercial "title report" suppliers (who I guess just compile the database info into a nice report for a fee). The one I went with only charged about $3. So whichever car you are interested in, get the VIN (even old ones that aren't the current number of digits) and get a report - that will tell you the state last/currently titled in. I don't recall if it also has the name/address of who it's titled to, but it at least indicates if it was a salvage title or reported stolen.

Guest denny_W121
There is a national title search website. I went through this a couple of months back when I bought my car - since I bought over the internet, I wanted some independent evidence that the car wouldn't come up as stolen when I took the old title to the DMV. Start at www.vehiclehistory.gov. Though it's a government database, it links out to commercial "title report" suppliers (who I guess just compile the database info into a nice report for a fee). The one I went with only charged about $3. So whichever car you are interested in, get the VIN (even old ones that aren't the current number of digits) and get a report - that will tell you the state last/currently titled in. I don't recall if it also has the name/address of who it's titled to, but it at least indicates if it was a salvage title or reported stolen.

I appreciate the tip on the website search. The only reason I'm going through the headache of getting it titles is the car or two that I want is going to be given to me. I just have to take the current owner for a ride in them when I finish them up.

Denny, much of the advise given so far is far from fact. For beginners, most states do not have paperwork going back more then 15 years. That is fact. The absolute easiest way to title a car, is to buy a title, but of course there will be some naysayers and those that say just walk away. Fact is, that is the easiest method. There are other methods as well if you want to email me and let me know a bit more info regarding the specific cars.

Once again, thank you for your service.

rdz69@aol.com

ps reconstructed titles are a Pain in the arse....