Starting my 1941 Buick after 15 years.

jsmittie41

I'm trying to start my 1941 Buick Special which ran when parked about 15 years ago. It has a newer 248 C.I. engine in it which I believe is a 1950. I drained all of the old gas and cleaned the tank and lines. I cleaned out the fuel pump and carburator of old gas and sediment. Changed the oil. I put on new plug wires, new condensor and distributor cap. Since it was running and the points looked good I did not change those so that the dwell and timing would not be altered. I installed a brand new battery. I get 6V at the coil and distributor. I cranks over easily. It still won't start. A shot of gas down the carb, doesn't help. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks Jim jsmittie41@aol.com

Update: I've tried a lot of the suggested ideas. The compression is low and it is non-existant in cylinder #3. ZERO. I'll put oil in this cylinder and see if it seals temporarily. Thanks for the suggestions

Edited by jsmittie41
update progress on fix with others ideas (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Stick a new set of plugs in there as well. Did you test to see if you had spark? Another issue we had with our Dodge setting for a while was the fuel pump diaphragm had dried out and wasn't pumping worth a damn! Just a couple of ideas!

Cheers

Grant

Jim,

Check for spark, if none clean the points, when they sit open for a long time they can get coated with corrosion.

emery cloth, then a dollar bill, the paper in the bill does a great job.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Thanks fellas for your comments. I do have spark. I had the plugs out to squirt oil in the cylinders before turning it over, but I didn't look closely at them. I'll check them out. The gas tank was cleaned of old gas and debris. Jim

Jim,

You said that you had spark at the plugs. Do you have it at all 8 cylinders ?

Instead of gas down the carb, try either (spray start).

If she's going to fire, that will get her going.

Do you have a clear glass filter at the carb ?

If not, add one so you can see if the pump is delivering any gas.

Do you have an electric pump back at the tank ?

If not, add one, to prime the system, and take a BIG load off the starter.

Also works great for "vapor lock".

Just my $ .02......and worth every penny........

Mike in colorado

Guest Grant Magrath

I still say disconnect the fuel line at the carb, and turn her over to check how the fuel pump is!

Cheers

Grant

I second using ether, ie "starting fluid/spray" down the carb (if you have it available), as if has enough of spark to fire the plugs, it'll kick. As a safety measure when doing this with any type of fuel I always put the air cleaner back on, in case of a backfire.

It is possible that there is visible spark, but not enough to actually fire the mixture, as the coil could be weak.

Also, have you checked for compression? The rings could be stuck after sitting so long.

Keith

I agree with Grant.

Remove the fuel line from the carb and turn over the engine until you see good clean fuel flow.

Reconnect the fuel line, spray a little starter fluid into the carb, and try to start it with the air cleaner on.

Good luck,

If it is not running yet, use a small funnel with a flex hose to put a teaspoon of gasoline into each cylinder. That will help you overcome any low vacuum problems from sticky stuff and puddling in the long cold manifold runners. If it jiggles and farts (tech terms) you might have to do it a couple of times. Don't get too froggy (another tech term) with the spray start. It explodes instead of burning and is like whacking (more tech) your pistons with a hammer.

Bernie