Richmond National Meet

Dynaflash8

Wow..is everybody asleep on this site?? I mean garsh....thought there would be some talk of the show, what people thought, any particularly nice automobiles seen, any of the board here win an award? something...anything!! Hello...<P>and Yes, I never made it to the show...never stopped Raining on my end...all day Thurs. and all day Friday, and even sprinkles in am of Saturday frown.gif" border="0

Mystery Chevelle, you missed a great event. It rained all Friday until we arrived in Richmond. Friday thru Sunday could't have been any nicer. I think everyone won something by just being there. The show field was huge along with the flea market. Other than the host hotel being 6.5 miles away, I don't think anything could be improved.

I don't know which Board was being referred to, but this guy took a Senior with a 48 Buick sedan.<BR>One thing about these big Meets and Tours, not every place can accomodate the masses with large enough showfields or big enough, close enough, good enough hotel/motel accomodations. Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do to get together in a new and different location.<BR>The Richmond Region celebrated their 50th Anniversary in style and grace. Makes me proud to be a Virginian by birth.<p>[ 06-20-2002: Message edited by: Dynaflash8 ]

I particularily liked the way they played the National Anthem before judging started. Except for the car on the track, you could have heard a pin drop. What a nice touch(hint, hint, directors). <BR>Also, at the judges breakfast they didn't pull the stupid blunder they did down in Sarasota with the judges receiving awards. We bust our ass to get to these shows, pay for our own breakfast and then go out and sweat our butts off judging vehicles. The only recognition we receive is having your name announced to receive a pin for reaching a milestone. It means a lot to many of us to be recognized by your peers. They know what it takes to judge at shows all around the country and the years it takes to reach certain levels. <P>Whoever made the call to herd everyone up at one time like they did down in Sarasota should be taken out to the woodshed! mad.gif" border="0 <P>My hat's off to the Richmond Region. They did a great job!!!

Al Terek said it right.....it was truly a wonderful touch to play the National Anthem before judging. I couldn't help but look around and see all the people, standing at attention, hats off, hand on chest. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could incorporate this salute into all of our shows? It takes the individual thoughts of many people to hit on something like that, and maybe this really is something we should do. We're all lucky to live in America.<p>[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: Dynaflash8 ]

On behalf of the Richmond Region I would like to thank all who attended our meet. We attended many meets the last couple years just kind of hanging around like a fly on the wall observing and listening. We wanted everyone at our meet to have fun and leave with a positive attitude concerning our club, this great city, and Southern hospitality. We attempted to cover every detail, even doing walk-throughs so every worker would know what was going on at the Registration-merchandise-hospitality room or the other end of the meet field. The National Anthem was the idea of Wendell Bowles who handled the installation of the public adress system and announcing. Did you notice the American flag at the merchandise tent, and the thousands of spectators who attended, and the 40 kids for the kid's program. We are quite excited at our success, and thank everyone for the letters, emails, and personal phone calls of praise. It makes all the hard work worthwhile. We will have 300 or so pictures on our web site shortly and I will post that info here when available. Dayton, Pres, Meet Chairman

Finally got a few moments to add my observations - the Richmond Region can be proud for hosting such a fine event. When was the last time you saw so many one-cylinder Cadillacs in one place? When was the last time you saw a flea market like that? What a great time and a great event it was, complete with a healthy dose of southern hospitality - did you notice all those yellow shirts and smiling faces from the Richmond folks? Dayton and crew - I know you're tired, but if you build it again, we'll be there!!!!

I believe that the junior participation in the 'Cars and Its Parts' program in Richmond was the biggest one yet. They divided into groups with John Walker talking about AACA Judging and Doug Drake doing the traditional 'Car and Its Parts'. Pictures of the junior participation have been running on the Junior AACA web site since June 17. Stop by and take a look.<P>Congratulations to the Richmond Region!<P>24T42<BR>Junior AACA Web Editor<P><A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/junior/showtime/showtime.htm" TARGET=_blank>It's Showtime on the Junior AACA web Page</A>

And this was the weekend our one-and-only grandchild happened to be with us and could attend Doug's "Cars & It's Parts" show. She loved it. I can't think of anything bad about this weekend, except those old spark plug wires I put on the Buick for show purposes started breaking down on the way home when I tried to push her a little hard, so we could dress and return for the banquet. Good show, good fun, and on Saturday, good weather.

Just a note to let the Richmond guys know they did a great job. It would be helpful though for the "kid-parts" program-guys to switch groups, so all the kids could participate in both programs. My son, 13 year old Mike, wants me to mention to "John", his group leader,that he really should get those scratches out of his Preservation Packard's fenders. Had a great day! Thanks, Wayne

• 2 weeks later...