ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Well Hello Jim.

Have not seen any progress on your long roof for a while, trusting things are busy with work keeping you busy in a good way too.

I might have made a bid for those WWW tires you have listed had I not came across a set locally this summer. Timing is everything in this life eh? 

I'm going to have to stop posting what I hope to do and just post "what" I do as yesterday's scheduled job turned into more work than was originally planned (a good thing for me :)) and will be added to the PO.

Can't say Windsor is turning back into the Car Capital of Canada again but recent settlements with Chrysler and now Ford are making things more stable again and that's good for the future.

In fact, with this added work and the rain, I will have nice warm, dry, inside work with less down time.

Looking forward to your progress on the car too.

Hi Doug!

Yes, I have been busy racking up frequent flyer miles all over the earth! But I have also been working on the long roof slowly but surely, a couple of hours at a time, when I get back to the states. I know i have been slow to post, however, i have been documenting it, and I will start posting the progress soon. Still really busy on the travel through the end of the year (2 more trips - South America and Europe) before the year ends.

At my pace, you will have all of your cars done and showing before I get this dang wagon complete. Hahaha.

Your northern neighbors are glad that the Ford and Chrysler settlements are complete as well. Makes for a non-interrupted working environment here. Hope you get to working on the Buicks this weekend!

Jim

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1957buickjim said:

10 hours ago, 1957buickjim said:

At my pace, you will have all of your cars done and showing before I get this dang wagon complete. Hahaha.

I CAN ONLY WISH JIM! :lol:

At least you have the award winning Special on the road to appease your old car desires. However, I would love to pull up to your place some day (and likely leak on your driveway) with the Special!

Meantime, safe travels out there.

I indeed did manage to get some work done on my car today. Yea!

Not huge but that broken bolt in the backing plate had me mentally held up (with all that was going on). I appreciated the suggestions from those that offered and today decided to tackle what was not a big deal but needed to be dealt with.

I decided to drill out the remains starting with a small drill and finally getting it to this.

IMG_0770.JPG

There was enough left on the other side to put vise grips on it and carefully apply pressure (with lots of PB Blaster) to get it out.

Wheeled the good bolt, ran it in the good hole but will need to put a tap in the other hole before assembling the parking brake cable/bracket.

IMG_0772.JPG

After texting my wife I was working on the car (info is always a good thing :rolleyes:) I decided to fire her up again.

IMG_0777.JPG

Turned on the lights, checking the charge and....

More than ever, motivated to get "On the road again"

• Like 4

Well... going back on my earlier post about posting what I'm "going to do".:rolleyes:

Not all that big a thing though since it involves tracking down four bolts I might as well replace that hold the plates which hold the parking brake cable.

Since the broken one drilled out so easily, obviously they are not a hardened bolt but after cleaning up the good one and seeing it is damaged near the bolt head might do myself a favour for down the road and go new.

IMG_0773.JPG

With not too demanding a day can fit a side trip in and then will see about going back to the brakes.(just sayin' :lol:)

• Like 1

Finally get to post what I did and in the same day as posting the intended effort! ;)

While not much it is going ahead in the right direction for a change. 

IMG_0780.JPG

While waiting for a few coats of paint to dry checked around the property and decided to cut and clean up some wood that had been left after I had a tree taken down. Lots of rotten wood but will get some that will burn nicely.

IMG_0781.JPG

Will see what tomorrow brings....

• Like 1

Today brought: not only 63 degree weather :) but a bit more progress on the brakes. :D

One would think running a tap through an existing hole to clean up threads would be simple.

One was, the other that had the broken bolt was troublesome to say the least!

FINALLY managed to get it in and cleaned up OK but before I did something stupid and ruined it, had to step away, then go back a few times.

Right Rear Brake - Nov 6, 2016.JPG

Managed to clean the emergency cable a bit more of the slightly hardened grease I used on them many years ago. It slides by hand nicely now and will paint the inside bracket later before applying fresh grease and tightening things up. 

I have all the parts ready to reinstall the brakes including a new wheel cylinder and drum but with the change in daylight savings time last night, it got pretty dark by 5:25..... and had to head home for dinner.

• Like 1

Beemon,

I hope this will give you a chuckle (but not think less of me).

If you have been following my thread you get that I have had these cars since the age of 16 and learned early that collecting and having certain parts for them was a good idea. Therefore I stock piled many things when I could believing I would have what would be needed one day "if" I ever did one of them up really nice.

Again, if following along, you by now also know that I move at... well lets just say, a different pace than most.

To answer your question as to new brake parts, I ordered them from Kanter also, back in 2006! :o

They have been in their boxes in my dry basement till about a year ago when starting (in earnest) on the brake job.

Glad to hear you are not having issues with your order!

• Like 4

Thanks John for your reply.

I did try to re upload pictures, including after logging out and later logging in but they came up with the same message (and failed).

I had no problem posting pictures in the AACA General thread with pictures from the same file I have on my computer so don't think it was on my end.

Will try again later.

So, after finding out my camera setting taking pictures somehow was at the highest size.....

here goes.

This weekend was time for the boys to put their toys away.:(

Had to enlist the help of mommy to drive us home.

IMG_0789_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

With cars washed, tanks topped up and gas stable off we went.

IMG_0788_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

It was a sunny, not too cool day for a change and they stayed clean.:D

IMG_0792_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Must have been an emotional moment with the unsteady hand but..... all tucked in for the winter.

IMG_0795_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Now, maybe I can get on those brakes..... :rolleyes:

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Had to post what I think is now the official end of the car season here.

Friday (like some others) we had incredible weather setting a record of 71 degrees! :D

However.... the forecast was to have falling temps over night and rain, so decided to push and pick up as many leaves as possible before they got wet, or worse, frozem meaning they would stay till spring.

Finished up late (7pm) and had to wash up the equipment before putting it away.

IMG_0799_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Really pleased with the performance of this old unit and what it has been put through this season. Like old cars, it means a lot when the previous owner takes care of them! :)

Woke up Saturday to cold wet conditions around 8am. By 10 it was starting with sleet and as the temps dropped, formed a bit on the grass and the garage roof. 

Unfortunately, there are still leaves on some of the trees so have more work to do when it drys up a bit. Wet leaves in that plastic tube is just an exercise in frustration! :angry:

Now, to get that propane tank filled up to have some heat in the garage......

Since I'm planning (:unsure:) on completing the brakes to be "on The Road Again", after receiving the 50th Anniversary Celebration Buick Bugle in Fridays mail, seriously considering making it to the National in Brookfield, Wisconsin next year with the Special.

Being the condition she is and very aware it does not deserve to be Judged, would I be best to register it in the Driven Class or Display Only Class?

Wambo 2005 pic5.JPG

Just to drive her there (and back) would be satisfaction alone being an 800 mile round trip depending on the route but thought I'd throw it out there to those of you who have done this when registering. 

I attended the Richmond Meet without a car and the Centennial with her but that was a none Judged show which was a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed so I'm asking for some advice.

Having had her up on jack stands running almost a tank (20 gals) through her in an effort to not have the engine lock up again, the rear trans seal seems to have stopped leaking to an acceptable amount so that for now remains to be not an issue. I should be able to hit the road when the weather breaks and the road clears of the salt and brine we put down here which would give time to trial run things before striking on the adventure.

Open to any and all suggestions. 

• Like 2

There is no Buick, in this club, which is undeserving of being judged.  Every Buick can benefit from it if the desire is to learn more about restoration or competition in the class of your choice.  If your main desire is an award, then it may not be advantageous for some to participate in the 400 point judging. 

Note, 2017 is the last year where the Driven Award will be a class separate from the others. In the meets beyond Wisconsin, you will be able to compete for a Driven Award plus any other class available.  But since you asked about Wisconsin,  I would suggest the Driven class.  I am certain your car will receive many compliments in whatever class you choose though.

• Like 4

As an addendum, I would also recommend Archival class for your car Dei.  In Archival judging, condition is not a factor.  Originality is THE code to the top.  It matters not that there are holes, or rust, or even damage, to the parts.  What matters is that the parts are original to the car.  In Archival judging there is no deduction for consumables.  Exhaust, belts, hoses, etc. What may matter is that replacement parts are in the original configuration.  For example, if your car came with single exhaust and you replace it with duel exhaust, then there would be a deduction. 

Check the judging manual on the BCA Website for a complete list.  Score 350 points ( I believe) and you are eligible for an award.  A higher level award is available if you score 385 points.  And, as with all the BCA classes except Modified, you are judged against a standard, not against your neighbor.  Every car entered starts out at the maximum points, and after deductions,  may be eligible for an award. 

The exception is the Modified Class judging, which works just the opposite, and which I do not know enough about to comment..

23 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

There is no Buick, in this club, which is undeserving of being judged.  Every Buick can benefit from it if the desire is to learn more about restoration or competition in the class of your choice.  If your main desire is an award, then it may not be advantageous for some to participate in the 400 point judging. 

John,

I really appreciate your thoughts here, Thanks.

I have never been a trophy aspiration kind of guy (I find nothing wrong with that though) as I really don't have the kind of funding it would take to accomplish this. I'm likely my own worst critic because I have had my hands over most every inch of the car because of money and after seeing others with '58 Buicks in far better condition or restored, gathering literature (and parts) over the years, it would take a Lottery win to put it in the kind of condition to justify that 400 point Judging. 

Besides, I guess I enjoy the driving (reliving "the day") and the eventual conversation when asked, "How long have you owned it".  

Now, having said that, sure a trophy of some recognition would be nice like having been to to Flint for the 100th and getting that beautiful commemorative plate didn't hurt my ego. :D In fact, might bring it along and put it on the front while on the field.

BCA 2003 Centenial Meet - Flint_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Having said this and your suggestion, looks like Driven Class will be the choice.

Now, need to Get Her Done!

John,

Guess I was typing while you were posting.

I will take a good look over the Archival Class and see.

I know the big issue as I see it now would be the fact the car had been repainted red when I got it in '72. Her original factory colour was Coral Reef I believe and you don't have to look at the manufactures plate to see that! :o

Now, if there was an award for maintaining it all these years..... :lol:

There are a few other things that would need to be addressed too so will see.

It definitely isn't modified to me but maintained in order to drive it dependably.

Thanks for the feed back.

Doug, I am in much the boat same as you. I do not have the funds, nor really the inclination to have a "perfect" car. Nice, yes, but not perfect.

My faithful '56 is not nearly good enough to compete against the other restored cars, and mine doesn't qualify for archival, as it has been painted and reuphosltered, so the last National I was at, not including this years, I put it in the Driven class. But we were parked in a completely different area from the rest, and I overheard one person say to their companion, "They aren't worth looking at, they are the driven class" Rather rude and off putting to say the least, but that was just one person.

So I am looking forward to the new system where we are all parked together. Not sure that the Electra would qualify for Archival or not. Fairly original, but a few things have been done to it.

We still haven't made plans yet, but I am thinking that I'd like to go to the 2017 event. It would be great to see you and your car there, Doug!

Keith

• Like 1

"not worth looking +++++++"  . Any one who says that is an elitist  a++hole!!!!  I for one , get TIRED of looking at the over restored, trailer queen, over wide white walls, too perfect chrome, etc. And then hear " not factory correct" about a mirror or some such. 

Keith, it is my understanding one is not competing against the other cars. Only against  [  shudder ]  factory correct and condition of ones car.

Ben

• Like 1

Keith,

With many things in the air, I'm not solid with making this trip just yet either but knowing you would have to come this way maybe you might want to coordinate the timing and travel together? Maybe if 1957buickjim is going we could all caravan together.

Dad has told me to not let him stop us from making plans so.... 

He has always said that for him antique cars was as much about the journey or getting there and watching him take 28 years to get his beloved Whippet to what it looks like today I can state that he & I have shared quite the journey! 

When we went to Richmond I saw a beautiful '58 Limited convertible packing up for their journey home on the Sunday. After approaching and talking about having a '58 Limited 2 door I noticed he was somewhat agitated. Seems he had gone through a rather costly restoration including redoing all the chrome to be there. Having it judged he was emphatically disappointed with his score and stated he was not sure he would ever attend another BCA Meet again.

While again it was only one person and not sure if it was justified, being my first National thought, I'd better sort out what my expectations were going to be to avoid this kind of disappointment. So decided even if I won the big one and put money into my cars I would do it for me (and the car) and just enjoy the ride even more (if one could)! 

Joining these Forums has enforced my feelings that there are many in this diverse group who share similar expectations and look forward to meeting you and having some fun! 

• Like 3

We would be pleased to travel with you, if we can work out the logistics, as to timing, and if we'll really going to attend! Not sure which car we would take, but I'll work that out later on.

My reason to attend a National has always been to meet people and see all those great cars. There's cars you never see except at one of these meets. That is what turns me on.

The only award I've won for longest distance driven when we drove the '56 Roadmaster to the meet in Sacramento Ca in 1991.

Hopefully we can make the trip to the '17 National.

Keith

Guest LyonsDR

What a goodlooking foxbody, looks like it's got a lot of attention.

I am also looking to add a cowl hood to my Fox, but can't decide weather I should go with 3" or 4" cowl.

The 3" looks a little bit more stylish to me https://www.carid.com/1990-ford-mustang-custom-hoods/harwood-custom-hood-lift-off-239182195.html and 4" seems to be a little bit too extreme, but I realize it may just appear from the picture. I don't have any crazy superchargers or throttle bodies sticking out from the the engine block so there is a room for both variants.

What's the cowl height on your hood?

Edited by LyonsDR (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Buicknutty said:

We would be pleased to travel with you, if we can work out the logistics, as to timing, and if we'll really going to attend! Not sure which car we would take, but I'll work that out later on.

My reason to attend a National has always been to meet people and see all those great cars. There's cars you never see except at one of these meets. That is what turns me on.

The only award I've won for longest distance driven when we drove the '56 Roadmaster to the meet in Sacramento Ca in 1991.

Hopefully we can make the trip to the '17 National.

Keith

Great!

Agreed it is a bit early to say for sure but I have been thinking about a 'bucket list' and this could be the start. 

Your trip to California must have been wonderful!

The other aspect about a National is the Swap Meet! :) I'll have to make sure my wife has a shopping area near by one of those days as I can spend an enjoyable Looong time with my head buried in the tables! :D

I specifically went to South Bend (5 hrs one way) for the day looking for some things (and meeting fellow Forum members) and it was worth the effort / day on all accounts.

Let's see how things come together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LyonsDR said:

What a goodlooking foxbody, looks like it's got a lot of attention.

I'll pass on your compliments to my son.

It is his first car and he calls it a 'work in progress' as he is doing his Masters in Mechanical Engineering and has plans for it above what has been done so far. 

I had a '67 Mustang coupe while storing my Buick's and it was a fun car with it's 6 cylinder 3 speed on the floor to drive around town. 

Oh, and when I do get to drive my son's, Ya it's fun to drive too!;)

The trip to California certainly was a good one, part of the motivation was to visit some relatives who had moved out there, as well as the National. Sadly, it was the last time I saw most of them, as several passed away within a few years of my visit, and they never travelled back East again either.

We drove the aforementioned '56 about 7,500 miles in 22 days, solo, no minivan of parts following us! I took lots of tools, and used them mainly to help a young black guy fix his Pontiac Fiero who was stuck at a rest stop in the Salt Desert, near Whendover, where they run the land speed stuff.

The parts available at a National can be worth the trip, and its' all Buick stuff, no sorting through a ton of other stuff to find the odd Buick piece.

Not trying hijack your tread or anything, Doug.

Keith

• Like 1

After spending time gathering up leaves for the umteenth time....

Started to rain and went for shelter in the garage. Tried to start the Special and found the negative cable was loose so, grabbed some wrenches, tightened it up and away she went. 

IMG_0816_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

It was the negative cable on the power steering unit. Need to be careful to not touch the positive terminal with the wrench! :o

Took a shot of the VIN plate after a bit of scrubbing.

IMG_0817_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

You will see the original factory Coral Reef (pink) colour she came out of the factory with. 

Now, trying to post some video I took of her running....

Thanks Keith. Getting there!

As to the leaves, Have (had) a huge 80 year old plus silver maple I looked at while on the roof and decided to cure the leaf issue.....

IMG_0808_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

That limb as you can see reached way out over the driveway and another strong wind storm or two might have done serious damage so..... 

Hence my excuse to eliminate some leaves!:lol:

IMG_0824_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

For the cost of what would be my deductible with a claim having to be filed, I feel better now.:)

• Like 1

After spending about 5hrs today moving about 3 face cords of wood and generally cleaning up shot a picture of a few more remnants that I suspected were going on in that tree.

IMG_0829_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Suspect carpenter Ants were at play here as I had the house sprayed last year but they were not evident now. 

Sure opens things up.

IMG_0831_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Once that was completed went inside and wheeled more brake parts. Nothing to shoot pictures about but took a shot before getting ready to finish this side anyway.

1958 Buick Special - brakes - Nov 30, 2016 - pic1_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

• Like 1

With the rot in the those tree trunks you did the right thing. In Toronto, you have to get an inspection and a permit to remove a tree if it is more than a certain diameter, even though it is entirely on your own property, so you're fortunate to be able to make the choice yourself!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

I can about imagine there is something like that here and believe there is a tree hugger or two in the neighbourhood.....

What comes to mind is better to ask for forgiveness later than ask permission. (Applies to cars sometimes ;))

With 20 mature trees on a city lot no one is really going to miss one and I will ask who ever challenges my move on what they would have been willing to help me out with going through a process and having the thing come down on my house or worse yet, my kids work vehicles or THEM while waiting for that permission!

As it turns out the winds have been growing steadily this morning so glad it's down.

{still getting that -200 error even with my resized pictures}

With my "Honey do list" still in play, turned up the tunes yesterday afternoon and managed to find the backs of the front seats of my Limited. They were shoved in a corner after taking them off with the intent to bring to an upholsterer and see what it would take to have new foam put in them and the seat bottoms. Figured since they are accessible, might as well drop off and see what I need to save up... :unsure:

IMG_0841_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_0843_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

They are original to the car and in generally good condition like a 50,000 mile car should be but the foam has hardened and do not want to tear or damage the material trying to drive it (some day) and have the foam totally disintegrate under the seat.

Not getting side tracked from the Special but knowing it will take some time and money, now is as good a time as any to put it on the bucket list!

• Like 2

Talked to the upholstery shop and after he found out I had the parts car Limited, wants me to bring in the seat back from it to play with before tackling my good seat back. 

Man, timing is everything in life!

Things have turned cold, wet and threat of snow showers / snow accumulation this weekend. The car sits outside and this wasn't something I had planned right now....

Have to keep reminding myself, half the fun is getting there?

• Like 2

After yesterdays sleet/light snow/black ice event and a forecast of 5-8 inches by Sunday decided to go and fire up the snow blower. After some fresh gas and several pulls once it warmed up tried the auger and the clutch to make sure things were functioning properly. Before loading up in the truck fired up the Special (again) and warming up on a not too high an idle tried the lights to help see what I was doing.

1958 Buick Special - Dec 9, 2016 - pic7_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Had to change out the drivers rear tail light as the brake light wasn't working. Easy to check with a 2x4 on the brake pedal.

1958 Buick Special - Dec 9, 2016 - pic1_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Having it in neutral she runs what you see on the dash.

1958 Buick Special - Dec 9, 2016 - pic6_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Need to check the ground on the gas tank since it should be about half full yet.

• Like 1

What a week!

After the black ice and drivers not remembering their driving experiences from last year and this weekends record snow fall, WOW!

Coming home from work at the height of the black ice event, decided to take a short bit of the last of the highway into the city. It is posted at 80 kms (50 mph) here and while coming down the on ramp experienced the glazed road so put on the 4 ways and managed to keep traction of my F 150 two wheel truck by running the right side tires on the gravel. Even with that only got up to 50 kms (31 mph) thinking I had things under control and would be home soon safely.

I then noticed in the rear view mirror many headlights charging up my tail! Held my speed and watched as one by one they passed at a surprising speed. My turn off was just up ahead and slowed to the expecting icy curve when I noticed a set of tire tracks going over the slight embankment through the small field and a three inch tree bent over on the ground!:o Noticed ahead of the tree some movement to see this car bouncing up and over the on ramp and stopping in the ditch on the other side. 

Since no other cars were involved kept driving and thought, WELL, what did you expect?

The wife's normal 25 minute drive home from work ended up taking 1 hour 15 minutes.

Then this weekend the forecast was right (for a change) and by 3 am Monday morning we had 10 inches of heavy snow! Knowing I had to take care of my property's and Dad's, I couldn't sleep and was out by 4:30 am. This was what I saw.

Scofield Ave - Dec 12, 2016 - 4 30 AM - pic2_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

You know winter is here when one has to dig out the snow blower from inside one's pick up bed!

Fortunately the main roads were in great shape even then but... driveways were a bear to dig out with the heavy snow having been pushed in.... Digging out by hand was not what I wanted to do or planned.

Got to dad's eventually and knowing they were not to be anywhere special that day took my time.

Ab's Chevy Venture Van - Dec 12, 2016_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Mom turned 89 this week (still driving) and dad recently got good results from his latest scan

and is stable for now so a good white Xmas is in play!

Especially with highs forecast only in the low 20's for the while. :P

Being this cold and no real heat in the garage, the Special will have to wait (again...) for some attention.

• Like 2