Found 3 Reattas in the local salvage yard

Guest Harbinger

Guest Harbinger

Hi everyone. Just found 3 cars (2 90'S AND 1 88) in a local salvage yard. After hearing how expensive the windshields are on these things I thought maybe I should check around locally in case I need one for my 90. After talking with the parts guy he stated he has one without damage for $175.00 but it is out of a 1988 and might not fit. My question is: these windshields are the same for all year Reattas, correct? Thanks for any help.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Both front and rear glass will fit all years, however the shading is different on the front windshield due to VIN Plate changes in 90s, and the 88 rear windshield doesn't have an antenna for the keyless entry built in.

Essential part is to not cut the rubber surround - it is part of the windshield.

Padgett,

That kind of information is what this FORUM is all about. I would have mucked it up for sure.

Guest Harbinger

I will probably pick up the windshield and maybe the deck lid. This yard will not allow you in the yard itself and pull the parts themselves to sell. He did say the cars had been there for quite some time and did not sound familiar with them. After I am done cannibalizing them for what I need I would be happy to post the phone # up for whoever is interested. Luckily my car does not need a lot and am just being proactive on parts.

Guest Harbinger
Welcome to the forum Harbinger! You are wise to stock up on some of the harder to find parts. Especially instrument panels, CRTs and headlight switches.

What is a CRT?

If getting glass, may I also suggest getting the vent windows from the front doors. Even if you never need them, they can be resold to a Reatta owner who does. Get the side mirrors as well if at all possible.

The CRT is useful if you own an 88 or 89. If it works (of course, no way to test it if you don't have an 88 or 89) it can be sold to an owner in need. If you have a 88 or 89, or plan on getting one, I can almost guarantee you will need one at some point. The instrument cluster (digital speedo) on the 90/91 cars is a known point of failure, and having a spare on of these is definitely a good idea. Window, mirror and seat switches are not bad things to have spare of either.

Obviously, this can get costly and consume a lot of space to store stuff. So, you need to prioritize what you really htink you need and what you can get a good deal on price-wise. Also consider whether you plan on keeping the Reatta long term. I have two, and plan on keeping them as long as they can be kept running and reliable. So, I stockpile a LOT of parts. Probably more than I need. Of course, this also gives me goodies to sell/trade/bargain with if need be.

KDirk

The two things you really want to get are the two '90 headlight switches - assuming they seem to work ok. They are a one year, Reatta only, part. Even if they don't work perfectly, Jim Finn may be able to fix them up.

If either of the '90s has a CD player, get the black CD player bezel(s). The wiring harness between the radio and the CD player is also a good, tradeable, thing to have. But it is a PITA to extract intact. The CD players themselves are iffy - because few of them actually work anymore. If they don't, they need to be sent off to a place like M&R to be repaired ($180). If your '90 doesn't have the factory CD player, it is a nice upgrade.

A spare instrument panel cluster (IPC), HVAC controller, window/lock switches, and horn buttons are also good to have.

Take a good look around your car for interior trim items that might be marginal or bad. See if the other cars might have the same part in better condition.

Note that a lot of mechanical items in the drive train are common GM parts that are better bought new. Don't bother with them.

Guest panor
I will probably pick up the windshield and maybe the deck lid. This yard will not allow you in the yard itself and pull the parts themselves to sell. He did say the cars had been there for quite some time and did not sound familiar with them. After I am done cannibalizing them for what I need I would be happy to post the phone # up for whoever is interested. Luckily my car does not need a lot and am just being proactive on parts.

Harbinger.....I sure wouldn't mind having the phone number/name to follow up for personal needs.

Guessed right! It was Cousineau's

I also got their '90 Headlight switches. Sent them to Jim for reconditioning. He did a great job. Bought the switches before I had a '90.

I guess in a way I am the "Great Karnak".[Johnny Carson]

Guest Harbinger

Good guess Dave. I talked to (Dave?) in parts and told him I needed the passenger door rod from the outer handle down to the mechanism inside the door. Flat out told me it wasn't worth his time to go out in the snow to get it for me. Guess it wasn't a big enough money item to justify the retrieval. So if anyone has a rod they want to sell I am your guy.

Harbinger

You've actually sen the cars? I need tan interior parts. Specifically a standard driver's seat-especially the bottom and a nice tan drivers door panel. Do you remember the interior colors? Thanks Bryan

Guest Harbinger

Sorry for not responding right away. I don't frequent the boards much during my work cycles. I have not seen the cars but did post the # if you want to give them a call. Wasn't happy with them my last conversation but the yard itself has a good reputation (so I have heard).

Harbinger

You've actually sen the cars? I need tan interior parts. Specifically a standard driver's seat-especially the bottom and a nice tan drivers door panel. Do you remember the interior colors? Thanks Bryan

A person has to be fast sometimes.

On Thursday March 28th I got to a U Pull It in Indianapolis about 15 minutes before quitting time, found a complete Reatta, and got the floor mats, two center caps the RH mirror and one or two other small parts. I came back one week later hoping to get more parts but they had already crushed the car.

The woman behind the counter said they change about two hundred cars per week. If a car is in a row that is being removed regardless of the condition of an individual car in that row, the whole row gets crushed.

If is nice that some of the U Pull It types have their inventory on line but this one did not.

While I was in Charlotte the U pull it there listed a Reatta that had been there since February and I knew it would be pretty picked over but was still able to get a very nice air dam from under the car, the heater programmer and the blower control module and a couple of other items.

This car still has a good windshield in it.

Guest steveskyhawk

Jim is correct on the short timeframe cars are available "on the blocks" at the larger self serve wrecking yards. Years ago I felt bad stripping some pretty nice cars in these yards but those feelings have faded away with the reality. These cars get crushed between 3-4 weeks after bening put out for salvage. Get it while you can. I too have come back for a part and found the car gone. Scrap prices are up apparantly.