'39 Buick Team Membership??

Jolly_John

I thought I had sent my request for membership but probably forgot. Please accept my request. I have a 1939 Century Sport Coupe..... photo attached. It shares garage space with a 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible, and a 1991 Reatta convertible.
As Danny's post above you need to put '39 Buick Team Member in your signature or profile to become a full member !

Just realized......Since I technically don't own a 39 Buick, should I resign from the team?

Cheers

Grant :P

No !!

You qualify.

Danny started this so he is unofficial team captain.

He has a photo of the team headquarters (his Buick shed)

Need an appreciation of '39's. Apart from that no other requirements

< snip >

Just realized......Since I technically don't own a 39 Buick, should I resign from the team?

Cheers

Grant :P

Resign ????

But wouldn't you be lost and your life become meaningless ??? :):):)

I don't think you could cope with the loss of prestige and honour associated with being a '39 Buick Team Member. :) :) :)

Besides, who'd head the Kiwi chapter ??

I think you'd better stay.

Danny

• 4 weeks later...

A new web site http://www.1939buick.com/ Front page says is for info on right hand drive Buicks

Site is(was) owned by a person in England when first registered

Some of the images are from www.prewarbuick.com, including at least 1 I submitted to that site. Many of the images are of LHD cars.

Any site for '39's is good

To subscribe to this thread click here

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath
So on the RHD cars the ignition key goes in the dash? Did not know that.

I don't think so. They still have the ignition switch on the steering column, although ours packed up recently, so my father made one of the fake radio knobs the ignition switch by installing a push /pull style switch. But ours is lhd. Our 1935 Dodge has a starter button on the dash from new, as there was no room on the right hand side for the starter pedal.

Hey, here's a thought.......why not pick a day in the year, and make it World '39 Buick Day? Maybe one Sunday in the Northern fall/Southern spring or something? All you have to do is maybe get your car out (weather permitting), maybe get a picture, and post it on the forum? What other car make has it's own world day?!!!

Cheers

Grant

So on the RHD cars the ignition key goes in the dash? Did not know that.

No, the key goes into the lock on the steering wheel shaft on RHD too. The steering wheel centre piece in the photo is a variation too.

But, not criticising - do what you need to do with the resources that are/were available to keep these heritage vehicles on the road.

No, the key goes into the lock on the steering wheel shaft on RHD too. The steering wheel centre piece in the photo is a variation too.

But, not criticising - do what you need to do with the resources that are/were available to keep these heritage vehicles on the road.

Ok, I know little about these cars compared to most of you, and that just stood out when I noticed it.

I'll be uploading some welding photos to my cars thread soon!

Some interesting photos (in facebook.com) of 1939 46C being restored. 247 phtotos

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.591823907513038.1073741825.143464999015600&type=1

But why after spending many $ did they not put in an original style interior ?

OK finally got signed back in, been outside lookin in, and finally got my password right this time. Been messin with Buick straight 8,s for a long time, but dont know it all so if I get somethin wrong just yell at me! Any way at this point I have a 39 Buick Century 4dr I was lucky to be the 3rd owner so its 99% original cept the engine [a little bit]. Also a 39' Century coupe [project], a 39 Chevy 2dr with 261 engine, and last a 32 ford 2dr [project].

anyway glad to be back

DaveM 39cent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Danny,

Happy New Year to you and the family, I haven't seen Will for a few years, but I catch up with him on facebook, its must still be a work in progress

The tow bar is still just a thought, I was going to build a teardrop camper, but ended up with a 18 foot 1970 Franklin Caravan which I needed to buy a Landcruiser to tow it !!

Hopefully a teardrop is in the future !!

Rex

Guest 39cent
Doesn't seem to be many posts here lately. Where is everybody?

Say Dynaflash8! or anybody, I,m in need of the stainless trim that goes around the sidemount covers on my 39. Was looking at 'chasing classic cars' saw some on a 35 Packard, so figured I'd try Kanter. Well they said they had no sidemount parts for Buicks. Well I went thru the fact that sidemounts are pretty similar cuz they cover wheels, they might have something close. I felt a 'chill' and then knew I'd have to go, "chasing classic parts". I know nos trim is made of unabtainium, so thought i,d give you a buzz.

or anybody

DaveM

Edited by 39cent
addtion (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Say Dynaflash8! or anybody, I,m in need of the stainless trim that goes around the sidemount covers on my 39. Was looking at 'chasing classic cars' saw some on a 35 Packard, so figured I'd try Kanter. Well they said they had no sidemount parts for Buicks. Well I went thru the fact that sidemounts are pretty similar cuz they cover wheels, they might have something close. I felt a 'chill' and then knew I'd have to go, "chasing classic parts". I know nos trim is made of unabtainium, so thought i,d give you a buzz.

or anybody

DaveM

hmm havnt been able to find anything on stainless side mount stuff they look pretty much the same as many other makes, so I figured someone was making them. Mine are not too bad but they have holes for mirrors mounted on top and want to delete them, can they be welded up?

Guest Grant Magrath

Yep! Stainless can be welded up ok! We have a guy in town who restores stainless trim. He also does plastic welding, etc. I guess he had to move with the times....CheersGrant

Guest 39Limited

I found your posts in my attempt to research a 1939 Buick Limited. I am trying to learn anything I can about a 39 that has been sitting in a garage waiting restoration since 1980. Is there anyone that can provide information on decoding the eight digit VIN? I need to know what I have. Any help will be appreciated from a group that seem quite knowledgeable in what I have read so far.

I found your posts in my attempt to research a 1939 Buick Limited. I am trying to learn anything I can about a 39 that has been sitting in a garage waiting restoration since 1980. Is there anyone that can provide information on decoding the eight digit VIN? I need to know what I have. Any help will be appreciated from a group that seem quite knowledgeable in what I have read so far.

Welcome to forum. And you can join the '39 team

Your car will not a VIN as we know them today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number

It will/should have a

- frame number on a plate riveted to the the frame near the starter motor

- an engine number near the distributor

- a data plate on the firewall., Should have 39-49xx, unique body number and have codes for paint & trim (xx= depends on the style)

If you list and/or photgraph we and/or Sean1997 can decode

Information on VIN & other usefull threads for 1939 owners can be found in Post 5

Edit: Moved VIN info to post 5 for future reference

Welcome 39Limited, we always like having a new '39 owner to share stories and photos with. Hope you will post some more information about your new car along with lots of photos and details about what you are working on as you get into the cars' resurrection from the long sleep.

Enjoy,

Guest 39Limited
Welcome to forum. And you can join the '39 team

Your car will not a VIN as we know them today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number

It will/should have a

- frame number on a plate riveted to the the frame near the starter motor

- an engine number near the distributor

- a data plate on the firewall., Should have 39-49xx, unique body number and have codes for paint & trim (xx= depends on the style)

If you list and/or photgraph we and/or Sean1997 can decode

Information on VIN & other usefull threads for 1939 owners can be found in Post 5

Edit: Moved VIN info to post 5 for future reference

Thanks, here are some pictures I took with my phone today. I included a picture of the data plate.

post-99491-143142414539_thumb.jpg

post-99491-143142414566_thumb.jpg

post-99491-14314241459_thumb.jpg

post-99491-143142414633_thumb.jpg

post-99491-143142414662_thumb.jpg

post-99491-143142414706_thumb.jpg

1939 MOD. 90

STYLE No. 39-4923

BODY No. 381

TRIM No. 712

PAINT No. 530

MO. DAY YEAR

1939 MOD. 90

1939 = 1939 model year

MOD. 90 = Buick model number = 4-door touring sedan

STYLE No. 39-4923 = Fisher body style number

39 = 1939 model year

4 = Buick

9 = Series 90

23 = 4-door touring sedan - trunk back, 8-passenger

BODY No. 381 = 381st 4923 built at Flint, MI

TRIM No. 712 = Tan Bedford Cord, available on Model 90 and 91

PAINT No. 530 = Carlsbad Black

Not sure what the K stamped in the upper right corner means. On 1937 and 1938 tags a hand stamped letter indicated the optional dash or wood graining color and a hand stamped 6 indicated 6 wheel configuration. I've seen the hand stamped K on 1939 model 41, 41A, 81F, and 90 Flint built cars. I've also seen K and O.K. hand stamped on some 1940 and 1941 tags for Flint built cars as well.

• 3 months later...
I'll join your group if you help each other. 39pickels

Welcome aboard. Just go to the instructions in post 3 to join

And we like photos :o

I'll join your group if you help each other. 39pickels

You will find '39 Team Buick members are the most helpful on the Forum. All you have to do is post your issue or question and put '39 Buick somewhere in the post's title and you will get responses from knowledgeable '39 owners. Look forward to seeing photos and hearing about your car.

• 1 year later...
Guest LarsG

Hi!! :P

It is suggested that I join this Buick 39 Group but HOW shall I proceed??

Can anybody help? :o

Thanks

Larsg

It is suggested that I join this Buick 39 Group but HOW shall I proceed??

Can anybody help? :o

Just as post 3 to change the text under your name!

You qualify

To be a member you need an appreciation of '39 Buick's. Apart from that, no other requirements. The '39 Buick Team only exists here in the forum.

To join edit the text under your name to '39 Buick Team Member. That's all it is

Click on your name (top right)

My settings

Profile settings

Profile info: add '39 Team member

Then shows under you name in a post