Series 2249 Senior Six

RWPerry

I just purchased a series 2249 Senior Six sedan. The guy had started restoration in 1977 and then after a few years lost interest so it has been sitting for quite awhile. He did have it repainted and reupholstered and that is still in pretty good shape. Anyhow, I got a lot of boxes and a big jigsaw puzzle. It is certainly a little harder when someone else took it apart and you are trying to put it back together. Although he rebuilt the brakes way back when the whole system needs to be cleaned out and rebuilt. My first question, and I will probably have many as I go along for anyone who knows these cars, is there any sources for the parts to rebuild the wheel cylinders and master cylinder.

I will add photos after I reduce the sixes of the images.

Thanks for quick response. I should have thought of Apple Hyraulics. We are hosting the AACA Grand National in Moline next year and we just got an ad from them for the meet book. I guess I need to pay more attention.

I am currently working on the wiring hatness. Fortiunately the former owner kept the old one intact so I have it as a pattern.

Dick, it's good to see you helping out the economy. If you only need rebuild parts for your wheel cylinders a real auto parts store, like NAPA or Fisher, can get cups. All you need is the size. Find someone that can read the parts books and you may even find a master cylinder kit. I did for my DA. Tom Myers probably has them too. If the cylinders need sleeved then you need to deal with someone like John suggested.

Dick, it's good to see you helping out the economy. If you only need rebuild parts for your wheel cylinders a real auto parts store, like NAPA or Fisher, can get cups. All you need is the size. Find someone that can read the parts books and you may even find a master cylinder kit. I did for my DA. Tom Myers probably has them too. If the cylinders need sleeved then you need to deal with someone like John suggested.

I got my brake parts for my '31 Dodge through NAPA also....

What a great buy,You have one nice car there.I have never seen the mudguards and vallance panels painted two-tone before looks great.I can't help you with parts availability as I am in Aust but I had no problems with cups and dust boots for my wheel cylinders.The master cylinder needed new piston and cylinder which I had made.I was able to buy nos brake linings as well and i still have one set to do another four shoes. Are you going to be in Detroit for the 100 year celebrations If so it would be great to catch up with another 2249 series owner.I own an Australian bodied 2249 tourer Ron

It is great to have contact with another 2249 owner. I'm sure I will come across more questions.I did get the front wheel cylinders apart finally and they are not in too bad shape. The brakes were rebuilt 25 years ago but never used since the guy never finished the car. I will have to rehone the cylinders but the cups seem to be in excellent condition. I probably will replace them anyway.

According to the guy I bought it from this is the original paint scheme. He claims that the original owner who he got it from bought it at the Chicago Auto Show so this might have been a special paint jobfor the show. It would be nice to be able to confirm this. We do plan to be in Detroit and I will take this one if it is done or my 25 coupe if not.

It is great to have contact with another 2249 owner. I'm sure I will come across more questions.I did get the front wheel cylinders apart finally and they are not in too bad shape. The brakes were rebuilt 25 years ago but never used since the guy never finished the car. I will have to rehone the cylinders but the cups seem to be in excellent condition. I probably will replace them anyway.

According to the guy I bought it from this is the original paint scheme. He claims that the original owner who he got it from bought it at the Chicago Auto Show so this might have been a special paint jobfor the show. It would be nice to be able to confirm this. We do plan to be in Detroit and I will take this one if it is done or my 25 coupe if not.

You can confirm the original color most likely by getting your build sheet

Do you have access to a 2249 parts manual?

No I do not have a parts manual but I am looking for one to help me get this car back together. The guy really wanted to clean out so he gave me everything he had for DBs including 2 owners manuals for the 2249 and one for a 28 Fast four, all kinds of ads and literature, a large double porcelain Dodge Brothers Service sign ( in excellent condition) and a trailerful of parts for Senior Sixes and 28 Fast Fours ( he had had a 28 Fast Four roadster but sold it earlier before I learned about it). I still have to go through it all and then offer it for sale. There are 2 Fast Four engines, a complete rear axle assembly (wheels, differential, springs etc) a front axle assembly without wheels, 8 wood spoked wheels. 6 starter motors, , 4 vacuum tanks, 3 horns, 2 generators and a partridge in a pear tree. I haven't had time yet to check it all out, clean it up and see what is any good. Apparently, someone he knew was hotrodding a 28 Fast Four and this guy rescued all the parts left over from going to scrap (at least one of them had some sense). I have to get some photos of everything so I can post them and see if anyone can use them. I have to go through it all to figure out what goes with the Senior Six and what is for something else, so my problem is having too many parts.

Guest dbtimesthree

Hi

The wheel cylinders are readily availble new, also kits are available for the hydraulic master cylinder. You can get all the parts needed including the barrel inside the lockheed system. I will look up the website for you asap. I will also post the part number for the wheel cylinder.

The website and numbers for the parts would be great. I have gotten the wheel cylinders all apart and cleaned up and I am now starting on the master cylinder. I am going to Napa over in Davenport today to see what they can do. Hopefully I can find an old guy who can find parts without a part number and computer and knows more about brakes than just changing disk pads.

Gundog99, I have been checking but never saw a PM that you sent. Could you try again?

Yesterday Barry and Andra Cogan stopped by on their way home from Colorado. We had a nice visit and he got to look over my new project car which we hope to have ready for the 2014 meet.

Also yesterday I got all the materials to start making the wiring harness.

I got the wheel cylinder cups I order at Napa and have finished rebuilding the cylinders. In case anyone ever needs them the Napa number for 1.25" cups is 666. I hope that number does not bode evil for my rebuild.

Just turn the box upside down when you read it if that makes you feel any better