1928 Dodge Sedan 4 cylinder

Londontaxi

Hello.

My name is Lothar, I'm from Germany and in this forum first time.post-89438-143139254652_thumb.jpg

About 10 years ago I've bought this 1928 (??) Dodge in Namibia, brought it to Germany and build it up (roof / interior).

The car is driving and it is big fun to be on the road.

My problem is only: I have no kind of documentation or specification. I only know it is a 4 cylinder engine. But what are the technical specification? Is there a repair manual available? Where to get spare parts if I need ?

I'm looking forwart wether someone can help me to go a step further.

Thank you

Lothar

post-89438-143139254626_thumb.jpg

Hello Lothar, That's a fine looking Dodge you have there. Your serial number of that car should be on the identification plate AND on the frame behind the front right wheel. At least the "U.S.A. cars" had the number on the right frame member. If you download the parts catalog you will be able to match up your number to the production list you will see. This one catalog is; myersearlydodge.com. They sell parts for 1914 - 1930 Dodges. Also, try Romar, Inc. Vern Barker runs it and his E-mail is; sales@romardb.com. His phone # is (814)-827-7601. Reprint manuals are available and worth the money! Good luck Lothar, Pete.

Don't get kidnapped by any Amazon's while in Brazil Lothar. I hear they're very big. The frame number on your Dodge may be a real bugger to find. They were usually stamped very lightly and located right near and above the aft spring hanger of the front right spring. You may need a bit of sandpaper to get to the numbers---I did. Enjoy your trip!, Pete.

Welcome to the forum Lothar. We are a happy band of guys who like to share what we know about Dodge Brothers cars. 'London Taxi' is an interesting signature - how did you choose it?

Ray.

Hi Ray. A Londontaxi was my first "OLDTIMER". I bought it during a businesstrip in England and drove it home to Germany. Was not a real oldtimer but was the first car I wanted to have. Here it is.I love it. Lothar

post-89438-143139258148_thumb.jpgLondontaxi

While we are off topic, Lothar; you should keep hold of that old London taxi cab because the company making them has just gone bust. End of an icon sad to say. Like the late lamented Routemaster bus, they were designed for the London streets and before long people will be saying "do you remember those brilliant taxis? "

Ray.

(A word to the wise, Lothar, your car should be described as a 'touring' in the States and a 'tourer' in my country. A 'sedan' is an American word for a closed car which we over here would be called a 'saloon'.)

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Nothing funny at all! I didn't think the German language had a "th" pronunciation. Example is Arthur in English but Artur in German. Sorry I got off topic here......

Bill

Hi Bill. You are talking about the "th" in my name. I even did'nt see it:confused:. We have it - like Günther, Walther..., Lothar but do not pronunce it. Sorry for that. Lothar

Guest danceswithpumps

Willkommen, Lothar. Schoenes Auto! Glad you found this site. There are many very knowledgeable guys here to help you with your car.

Maybe I can help you explain the spelling of your name. German words that have a "th" combinations are pronounced as if there is only a "t". The "h" is silent.

Hi Bill. You are talking about the "th" in my name. I even did'nt see it:confused:. We have it - like Günther, Walther..., Lothar but do not pronunce it. Sorry for that. Lothar

I hope this helps.

Rod van Pelt

• 5 months later...

Hello Pete; Hello Forum Members.

Sorry for my silence so long time. I travelled so much so I could not follow your recomendations to find the chassis number.

So I stripped the paint completely to the steel in the mentioned area, but no numbers:confused:

Any idea what else I can do? I have an engin number.

Best regards

Lotharpost-89438-143141869842_thumb.png

You might try the opposite side same place, you may also find them in this area directly above where you have cleaned, unfortunately to see this would mean removing the fenders.

We have noticed alot of inconsistency with export vehicles and no-one seems to have the answers why

Hello Pete; Hello Forum Members.

Sorry for my silence so long time. I travelled so much so I could not follow your recomendations to find the chassis number.

So I stripped the paint completely to the steel in the mentioned area, but no numbers:confused:

Any idea what else I can do? I have an engin number.

Best regards

Lothar[ATTACH=CONFIG]190055[/ATTACH]

From the picture posted you need to clean more above the shackle of the spring, the numbers should be about 20 mm high and a spacing of about 20 to 30 mm apart and some times these are lightly stamped making hard to read.From the picture your car could be 126 series of 1927, where is your distribuitor and do tou have seperate starter and generator.

regards bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All and thank you. Finaly I got it. I cleaned a few millimetres more back and there it starts. Bad news: Very light and not really to identify.

Can be the following numbers:

557-112

567-112

337-112

357-112

537-112

Now I'm somehow lost what to do next. Any idea?post-89438-143141885347_thumb.jpg

The distributor is on the right side.

Many thanks again and best wishes

Lothar

Hello All and thank you. Finaly I got it. I cleaned a few millimetres more back and there it starts. Bad news: Very light and not really to identify.Can be the following numbers:557-112567-112337-112357-112537-112Now I'm somehow lost what to do next. Any idea?[ATTACH=CONFIG]191705[/ATTACH]The distributor is on the right side.Many thanks again and best wishesLothar
Lother there should be a letter A before the 6 numbers , now if your numbers start with A 55- --- than it could be a 26 series and if they start with A 33- --- than it could be a 25 series , you may have to clean the frame back more to find the letter A . what is your engine number , they are usally are about 50 000 ahead of the the frame number, this may give us a clue to your car date .regards Bob

When trying to read lightly stamped frame numbers, my experience is to completely clean the paint off of the area with chemicals. (That way you are not altering the numbers by scratching too deeply with either metal tools or course sand papers.) It sounds like you are now at a point where you should start using very fine sandpapers with a stiff flat block behind the sheet. The object at this point is to practically polish the area to as close to a mirror finish as possible. As you work on the area, alter the direction you are moving the sandpaper. Don't always rub in the same direction. That could add lines making the actual numbers hard to read.

You could also consider using a polishing compound like what is used to prepare metal before plating. Those techniques will help make the area of the number very smooth and then just the stamped numbers will tend to show.

Also, try lighting from very low angles and from different directions. This could also help you see the difference in the canyons of the stamped figures against the flat areas of the plateau around them.

Good luck!

Many thanks.

I'm in Brazil again for the next two weeks. I'm back on the 18th May and will drive the car on the 19th joining an oldtimer tour.

After this I'm going to follow your advise and try to identify better.

The engine No is: A 737-527

Best regards

Lothar

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning

Back in Germany and have done a very nice oldtimer competition tour with my Dodge last Monday. Worked very well. ( The Dodge! )

post-89438-143141912719_thumb.jpg

So I cleaned further like recommended. Looks like myself or somebody before me did the cleaning before to rough and distroyed part of the numbers.

Bad enough but is like it is.

Now I ask again: Can anybody identify the first 2 digits? Is this a 3 or a 5? So 337-172 or 557 - 172?

I believe is a big difference to identify the right year of build, isn't it.

Lothar

post-89438-143141912714_thumb.jpg

It may be me but I am sorry to say I can't identify any numbers from your photos. If you know the engine to be original you could roughly work it out from there but if not I would say you will probably only have an approximate date of manufacture.

Ray

A couple things Lothar...

Would you be able to take a photo of the number area at a higher resolution than the above 320x240 resolution shots? Then we as readers would be able to make the photos larger and we may see something we can give opinions on. When trying these other photos, try to get the light rather low so it will side light the numbers. This will help with a darker contrast in the areas of the bottom of the number stampings. While doing this technique, have the light come from different angles - maybe at least three different angles if possible. This may then show different parts of the numbers with more contrast.

Also as I mentioned above, try to "polish" the main surface of the frame by the numbers as much as possible. The closer to a mirror finish the top surface has, the better the contrast will be of the stamped numbers.

If all this fails to bring up the numbers there is a way to use a paste style acid to etch away the upper, softer surfaces leaving the lower, stamped, harder surfaces more visible. This is a forensic technique used by Police Labs to read damaged stamped numbers. (If you happen to know a "lab guy" you will be all set!) I can try to describe more on this if the polishing and photography do not help with identifying the numbers.

Good luck!

(NOTE: From my second look at the numbers I am going to guess right now "337". But it is only a guess until higher resolution photos can bee seen. Be sure to try more photography [the closeness of the camera and clarity -focus- of the overall shots is just fine. Just need more resolution.] before polishing the numbers any further. Then photo often as you polish on the area any further. You never know when the best view of the numbers will show.)

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

On my 2249 Senior 6 the chassis is also stamped on the top of the chassis rail above where it is stamped on the side It is also very hard to read as the top rail tends to rust and become pitted If its the same as this on the 4 cylinder cars it would be under the right hand fender in the vacinity of the reat hood catch Hope this helps Ron

• 3 months later...
While we are off topic, Lothar; you should keep hold of that old London taxi cab because the company making them has just gone bust. End of an icon sad to say. Like the late lamented Routemaster bus, they were designed for the London streets and before long people will be saying "do you remember those brilliant taxis? "

Ray.

Since this thread was last visited we not only have a fabulous new London bus; heavily influenced by the old Routemaster but we have heard today that the London Taxi is back in production having been saved by a Chinese firm.

Things are looking up!

• 1 month later...

Hey again after long time. And THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Finally I did found the right? number. I'm not so sure but anyway.

My Dodge is on the road with all papers needed!!

Here you see a picture of an oldtimer tour competition and we did it 4th place:o. You see my wife and a friend of us.

I am so happy.

Was only possible with your help. Great guys.

Now I'm going to start working on the next one (also from Namibia) : Ford model T. See the blue car.

I completely revised the engine. Thats done. Now I need to put a new radiator.

Thank you again and it was a pleasure to be in this forum

Lothar

post-89438-143142235927_thumb.jpg

post-89438-143142235923_thumb.jpg