What is this old family automobile?

sperryr

License plates indicate the car was registered in Texas in 1920, not West Virginia. The "short" style rear fenders mark this car as a 1917, 1918, or very early 1919 model Hudson Super Six. Also the top is different than any of those shown in The History of Hudson (from which I also referenced the "short" fenders) for these model years, so the car was likely old enough already to require a replacement top.

That said, the sidemount spares and bumpers on the car are accessories that made the car even more expensive when new. At the time a 1920 Hudson touring car ($2400) was almost twice the price of a Buick 6 touring car ($1295). Most farm families would have had to strain to afford a $300 Model T. If these people were farmers and that's their car, I think it's likely that they just sold the mineral rights and/or the farm to the local coal company.

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

John2: Actually, there was a serious farm depression in the 20s, which just continued into the 30s--WWI markets led to increased production, high debt levels for land, eqpmt; the bubble burst when the war ended, the increased prod and Europe growing crops again resulted in gluts, etc..

The Hudson in the photo is a 1917 model J four passenger phaeton.

The 16 has different style of fenders and the 18 was the first year for Hudson to use the out side of cowl, wind shield mount, and the Hudson in the photo has the , through the cowl windshield mount, making it a 17.

A very nice photo, thanks for sharing!

Wow! My great uncle and other relatives went to Texas and worked in the oil fields. I heard they did very well. Unfortunately my grandmother missed her brother and insisted that he come back so he gave it all up. They must have been close!

This thread got me going. The model J Hudson Super Six( one of the great cars of all time... I'm an HET member) sold for about $1400, the 1917 Cadillac Touring for $2080( I'm a CLC member also). Go foward to 1920. The 1920 Hudson sold for, get this, $2400 ( after being reduced from $2600) and the equivilent Cadillac model for $3700. Wow! that is INFLATION. War is hell... and expensive. It's no wonder 1921 saw a large recession. Ron

I forgot all about the inflation after WWI. I know my grandfather lost his job as a machinist making torpedoes. Not much call for torpedoes after the war.</SPAN>

Since the picture was not of a relative I’m thinking that one of my great uncle’s friend’s was trying to show him what he was missing by leaving the Texas oil fields!</SPAN>