Mystery Straight 8

Tractor Flats

I am a new member and would like to throw this out there. While picking up a vehicle last weekend we came across an incomplete straight 8 engine in an old shed. I could not get a good look at it but could see a row of spark plugs on each side of the engine 16 plugs total.It was also an OHV. She also had a straight 8 complete which she said was a Studebaker. Did Studebaker ever make a such an engine? I have a chance to pick up both of these engines so I will probably sneak them home as well. I will get some photos and post them. Thanks

Nash made a Twin Ignition Eight with overhead valves.It went in their top model,the Nash Ambassador, in the 30s. Never heard of anyone else who had one.

Stutz and Delage had models with straight 8s with overhead valves and twin ignition, but they are very rare even by their marques' own standards. The Stutz even had an overhead cam.

Bonhams 1793 : 1935 Delage D8-105 Coupe Chassis no. 40123 Engine no. 6S

stutz lancefield engine | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think the double over head cams would be a give-away if it was a DV32. Most likely Nash. Even the single over head cam AA,BB, etc Stutz engine would stand out with the overhead cam. If it is single ovehead cam Stutz then unless it is a later SV16 or M engine it is not worth a fortune. The 41k for the DV32 engine was crazy money.

To the un-initiated, the difference between overhead cam Stutz and pushrod overhead valve Nash may not be obvious: But with pushrods all along one side, it is hard for both inlet and exhaust manifolds to not be on the opposite side. Single overhead camshaft Stutz had exhaust and inlet manifolds on opposite sides of the head. Dv32 engines from a small number of testing prototypes from the second half of 1928 had only one plug per cylinder because it was ideally positioned centrally and did not need two. (I have DV30004, with block casting date late June 1928 of a BB pattern block, cored and machined for 3 3/8" bore like the M series. In my humble opinion the late BB engines have a couple of advantages over the M series, and only one feature that is inferior. The duralumin conrods of M and the similar L series Blackhawk 6 have steel conrod caps, which means that the rod itself is much more likely to crack under the bolt heads. Early centre main bearing caps had a single rib and have been known to break. From around April 1928 they used a centre main cap with an extra rib, so they knew there was a problem. This sort of breakage could easily have caused the failure of the Black Hawk engine in the match race with the Hispano Suiza in 1928.

Thank you for the replies. I am quite sure the engine was not dual overhead but it has one gear on the front of the head so I am assuming single overhead cam. The exhaust and intake manifolds are on opposite sides as well. Any thoughts on the value if it is a Stutz?

I was going to say "unlikely" to the idea of a Stutz or Delage engine showing up in the wheat farming regions of western Canada. But as Cadillac Jack used to say, anything can be anywhere. Ken Purdy bought his ex Barney Oldfield Mercer Raceabout from a farmer in Delburne Alberta in 1948. Maybe the old boy had a few more goodies stashed in the machine shed.