The 10 Most Beautiful Cars of All Time

Dave@Moon

My list would be of the cars I know something about. I,like many of you, enjoy cars from other countries, but MOSTLY I would favor cars that I have seen or owned.

There are so many wonderful designed cars that the world has produced, that I actually don't feel you could ever get any kind of consensus on ANY TOP 10 LIST.

It's just fun looking and hearing what others think. I have seen cars on lists that I had never heard of or I have forgotten about.

Dale in Indy

Agree Dale. It is fun to see the other's lists. That is why I poked fun at Helfen - he is very knowledgeable and I am not surprised he pulled a car out of nowhere that I had completely forgotten about. If the list was say, 15 or so, I would definately have some more or less "real world" cars on it. I really think the '64 -'65 Mustang, for example, is one of the outstanding designs of the 60s, and I personally would have a plain jane over a later, big engined type model. It is the purest design, and still under $10K! 10 is really tough - the fun is you really have to think if you take it seriously. Where do you put that XK120 or '32 Ford 3 window, or Auburn Speedster...

Guest Kingoftheroad
It DOESN'T make a difference, (informed, or uninformed, it's one persons opinion), period.

What is good about it is that we are THINKING.

I just DARE any that has jumped all over the list, to offer for us ALL to see, THEIR LIST OF THE TOP TEN.

I can't wait to see their list, it will be fun, FUN IS GOOD!

Dale in Indy

You are right !!

The fact that not everyone has the same tastes in cars and we can have fun talking about it, makes this thread a good topic to chat about !!

Helfen, good choices also. A guy one town over from me is pretty well known for his "hoard" of Full Classic Packards. Drove by his house a few weeks ago, and sitting in the driveway was a complete, but unrestored SS100 - I had to double check even though I know exactly what they look like. One car you do not see very often, and likely one of the only unrestored versions extant at this point. Classic hoarder, lots of desirable cars, a couple drivers, rest not running, nothing restored, nothing for sale.. But that is another topic... :)

Steve, I agree with your statement of 55-57 Chevy because you see so many of them. When I look at a completely stock 55-57 Chevy and I look at all the GM line up for those three years I can't believe those Chevy's get more than they deserve. Possibly back when they were 5-10 years old they were the cheapest cars we could get a hold of with cheap performance parts caused the attraction, but my favorites now that I can take my prejudices away ( I was always a Pontiac fan/owner ), My favorites of the GM stable in those years are 1955 Buick Roadmaster, 1954-55 Olds Starfire, 1956 Olds and Buick, 1957 Cadillac Coupe deVille. A equally fine looking 1955-57 car is the Ford. Seems hard to believe to people today who always call the 57 Chevy The iconic car of those three years missed the facts that the people of 1957 thought the 57 Ford was a pretty darn good looking car too. The fact that Ford outsold Chevy in 1957 proves it. Don't get me wrong the tri five Chevy's are nice cars, but they're not the only cars out there.

My vote when it comes to Porsches is a easy one for me, it's called the 904... any version will do. Flat four, flat six or flat eight. The car just looks like it's going fast....even while it's parked.

D.

I too have wondered about the '55-'57 Chevrolet popularity. Maybe it was because the grille on the '55 looked like one from a Ferrari (I read somewhere that the automotive press at the time criticized Chevrolet for copying it and that's reason the '56 got a conventional grille) Maybe it is the tail fins and trim on the '57. Or maybe it is the vast interchangeabilty of the Chevrolet small block V-8 parts and the horsepower potential or a combination of things. I like your list. One of my favorites, '57 Cadillac brougham.

Steve, how many people even know what you are referring to when you say SS100, certainly not the author of the article being discussed? For that matter, how many people know who Dave Garroway was?

I should have posted it;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/87/Jaguar_SS100_in_SA.JPG/800px-Jaguar_SS100_in_SA.JPG

The SS100 is a great 30's car, but the 65-66 XJ13 really does it for me;

http://world-viewer.com/data_images/jaguar-xj13/jaguar-xj13-04.jpg

Hum, Dave Garroway. Knowing the Today show and Dave Garroway go hand in hand. Most people don't know that Garroway was a car nut and restored many cars. Garroway restored a Jaguar SS100 and even raced it in his spare time.

I'm glad A.Ballard 35R brought his name up. See how we are all connected!

D.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Agree Dale. It is fun to see the other's lists. That is why I poked fun at Helfen - he is very knowledgeable and I am not surprised he pulled a car out of nowhere that I had completely forgotten about. If the list was say, 15 or so, I would definately have some more or less "real world" cars on it. I really think the '64 -'65 Mustang, for example, is one of the outstanding designs of the 60s, and I personally would have a plain jane over a later, big engined type model. It is the purest design, and still under $10K! 10 is really tough - the fun is you really have to think if you take it seriously. Where do you put that XK120 or '32 Ford 3 window, or Auburn Speedster...
I agree the early Mustangs are good looking cars especially the fastback models, but I understand it was based on the Falcon.

Had to google Dave Garroway, a bit before my time. Was hoping he was a designer of any one of the various vehicles mentioned above... ;)

I could have bought a nice '57 Cadillac Brougham for $5K once, locally, in the mid eighties but was not willing to give up my TR-6 and the few bucks I had stashed away to do it. A missed opportunity...

I think 150 HP - I probably should know that, I had it a long time. Common garden '73 TR-6, no OD. I LOVED that car. I believe Dave Moon, the OP for this thread has a couple of them. I would put it in a list of most beautiful cars, maybe not top ten, but definately another car that really does not have a bad angle, IMO. The one time I had a buyer return a couple years later, not to complain but show me the big dollar restoration work he did, really nice to see it end up in top notch condition. Almost got another this year, but I knew my wife would appreciate the AT and power everything on the SL. :)

Triumph TR-6 150 bhp? overdrive?

U.S. TR6s had 106 hp at introduction in 1969, but through almost heroic engineering kept 104 hp from the same basic engine during 1974-76 in the emissions era at a time when most imports lost as much as 1/3rd of their potency (i.e. MGB). The rest of the world got a 150 hp fuel-injected version through 1973 which was fairly finicky to keep in tune, and so it was detuned to 125 hp (still F.I.) in 1973.

All of them were gorgeous.:cool:

BTW, IMHO the lack of luxury amenities (automatic, power steering, etc.) only enhances the driving experience. It's fun because it's more difficult, not in spite of it. The similar cars that did come with automatics are dull, and usually suffer in interest and value.

Dave I could not agree with you more, the SL and TR are very different cars, and the TR is definately an involved driving experience.

I will say though, as a kid I knew an old timer who had a tow business, he told me he would occasionally get a late night call to retrieve a rolled TR due to their somewhat narrow "beam" - never MGs always TRs... This was in a semi rural area called "the flats" in CT in the 70s - a favorite spot for late night grand prix activities...

BTW - to go back to topic, any other lists out there???

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

U.S. TR6s had 106 hp at introduction in 1969, but through almost heroic engineering kept 104 hp from the same basic engine during 1974-76 in the emissions era at a time when most imports lost as much as 1/3rd of their potency (i.e. MGB). The rest of the world got a 150 hp fuel-injected version through 1973 which was fairly finicky to keep in tune, and so it was detuned to 125 hp (still F.I.) in 1973.

All of them were gorgeous.:cool:

BTW, IMHO the lack of luxury amenities (automatic, power steering, etc.) only enhances the driving experience. It's fun because it's more difficult, not in spite of it. The similar cars that did come with automatics are dull, and usually suffer in interest and value.

I can't agree with you more. I know what you mean by dull, I had a '72 VW super beetle with an automatic (I believe it's called the automatic stick shift) terrible acceleration, was not fun at all! Thanks for the info, I learn something new here all the time. Edited by rhb1999
adding thanks (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

I may be partial, but I think America designed the most beautiful cars of any country. To me any foreign design always looked way out of proportion. There have been a few cars I've seen this summer that never get mentioned or seen. First being a 1955 Studebaker Speedster. I was in awe when I saw one this summer. Tri-tone colors, gorgeous interior with dash gauges in total design. My second would be a 1961 Sport Fury convertible. This car is so ugly, it is beautiful. Next, any 1957 car from A to Z...........1932 & 1957 were the only two years that every design was beautiful......... Of course, these are my opinions.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

Guest ayamen

For whatever it's worth, I think that the Auburn touring cars are the most beautiful cars ever built. No mention in this article. Oh well.

Enjoy this pic tho:

post-87813-143139151383_thumb.jpg

Sexy, right?

For whatever it's worth, I think that the Auburn touring cars are the most beautiful cars ever built. No mention in this article. Oh well.

Enjoy this pic tho:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]151689[/ATTACH]

Sexy, right?

Only after you remove the white walls......just kidding....not

BTW those wheels are beautiful , but a pain when the teeth wear out!

D.

There have been a few cars I've seen this summer that never get mentioned or seen. First being a 1955 Studebaker Speedster. I was in awe when I saw one this summer. Tri-tone colors, gorgeous interior with dash gauges in total design.

Thanks Bob! :)

And we agree. A 32 anything is a good looking car.

Bill

lpost-30795-143139151438_thumb.jpg

Skyking. I strongly advise you to steer clear of any members of the ACD club or owners of Packards, Pierce-Arrows, Chryslers. Lincolns, Cadillacs or many other classics recognized by the CCCA. You might also be careful if you meet any owners of cars built by some of the numerous beautiful European designers, especially those whose designs adorn Ferraris, Mercedes, Hispano-Suizas, Bugattis, Bentleys, Isotta Fraschinis, and numerous others. Many of these same designers built some spectacular bodies on American cars.

Would you exclude cars such as an AC Cobra (evolved from an AC design), a Mercedes-Benz 540K, a Ferrari SWB California Roadster, a Duesenberg Speedster, a Saoutchik Series 62 Cadillac convertible, and many others? I sure wouldn't exclude them and I doubt if you would either.

Guest Skyking
Skyking. I strongly advise you to steer clear of any members of the ACD club or owners of Packards, Pierce-Arrows, Chryslers. Lincolns, Cadillacs or many other classics recognized by the CCCA.

I think I included those in my post.

What about a list of 1971 and newer bodied?

I'm afraid most of mine would be European, only one of which I've ever owned, and most of them carry-overs from the 1960s.

1971/72 Triumph TR6

1974-76 Jaguar XJC Coupe

1971-73 Lotus Elan

1971-74 VW Karmann Ghia

Any Fiat 124 Spyder

Aston Martin V8 (any 1971-1989)

1990-93 Alfa Romeo Spyder (a.k.a. "Graduate")

1989-1990 Toyota MR2

2006-2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse

1982-1991 BMW 3-Series

1971-73 Datsun 240Z

1971-73 MGB

1971-73 Opel Manta

1975 Pontiac Firebird (not w/ Trans Am regalia)

1972/73 Volvo 1800 ES

1971 Plymouth Barracuda

2006-2011 Ford Mustang

(donations accepted;))

Edited by Dave@Moon
added model year to A-M V8 to show it's a model, not just an engine designation (see edit history)

I'll play, in no set order I present my list...

1) Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato

2) Aston Martin V8 (I need one of these in my life)

3) Mercedes-Benz 230SL by Pininfarina (only a handful were custom bodied)

4) Iso Grifo

5) Facel Vega HK500

6) Horch 853 Sport Cabriolet

7) Cord 812 Beverly

8) Jaguar xk120

9) Porsche 550 Spyder

10) Daimler Double Six 40/50

Honorable Mention:

1962 Chrysler Imperial/1962 Chrysler 300

Not sure what my obsession is with cars from 1962, no special meaning, wasn't born yet, they just made them great that year!

Guest chevy_dude97

Of all time? And yet it was focused on a 20 year window? I would only agree on one on this list, the 63 split window but then again its just one of my favorite cars.

Also note the challenger.... was the only full size. wouldn't be in my list as in 70 I think the Chevelle was more beautiful.

my top 5

63 Continental

01 Aston Martin Vanquish

35 Duesenberg Meteor Speedster

29 Dupont Vert Coupe

91 Callaway Sledge Hammer Speedster Concept

http://www.kzclassiccars.com/pictures/1959-Pontiac-Bonneville-3.jpg In Catalina form, the first completely stock car to run a 13 second quarter mile, and first car to break 100mph in the quarter mile, and the first stock car to average over 150 mph at Daytona. Another car to use sweep cut rear fender styling and NEVER to be used with skirts!

http://www.russoandsteele.com/vehicle-photo/-Pontiac-Ventura/144501/lg.jpg

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/1960-1961-pontiac-ventura-1961-1.jpg

http://fordmustangz.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/1962-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Super-Duty-Wallpaper.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2111/1981/30275990004_large.jpg

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/RR182.jpg

http://1-photos.ebizautos.com/used-1965-pontiac-catalina-coupe-10832-9161588-5-640.jpg

http://ipocars.com/imgs/a/d/r/f/r/pontiac__bonneville_convertible_1a__h_state_approval_1966_1_lgw.jpg

http://image.highperformancepontiac.com/f/features/hppp_1103_1967_pontiac_gto/35568339%2Bpheader_460x1000/hppp_1103_01%2B1967_pontiac_GTO.jpg

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/07/1954Roadmaster_0846_1000.jpg

http://o.images.boldride.com/oldsmobile/1954/oldsmobile-98-starfire-convertible-1317357400-2686.jpg 1954 olds Starfire, First car with front and rear sweep cut fender styling as a styling feature and NEVER to be used with skirts!

http://cimages4.carsforsale.com/421725/7C74F26C-098D-4489-937F-F82EA0C88258_1.jpg

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/cars/55.buick.roadmaster.jpg

http://www.carfani.com/wp-content/pictures/1949-Cadillac-DeVille-Coupe-engine.jpg This IS a car designed for skirts! It's not a question if you can, but rather when it's appropriate!

I'm tired now...still a hundred or so to go.

D.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Matt, I agree, while I actually prefer the XKE in a closed 2 seater, and the 300 SL in roadster form vs. the more iconic gullwing, those are two from that list would make mine. (Just don't go too far from home in the Jag without your AAA card and cellphone! :D )

I had a '69 E-Type roadster from '99 to '12. Suprisingly not a money pit. Granted I only put 500 or so miles per year on it, but I only had to have a tow once -- I'm not enough of a mechanic to know it was only points that needed preplacing when I first got it. Sold it for a price that equated to owning the car for twelve years for the cost of gasoline I put in it. But probably sold about 10 years too soon.

I couldn't get the list down under 30. In no particular order other than that Teardrop Coupe and Delahaye 165 absolutely being the most beautiful of all time (just my opinion, of course).

1937 Talbot-Lago T150C SS Teardrop Coupe

1947 Delahaye 165 V12

1936 Delahaye 135 Competition Court Coupe

1949 Delahaye 175 Saoutchik

1937 Delahaye 135-M Cabriolet

1932 Bugatti Type 50

1929 Bugatti Type 41 Royale Coupe de Ville

1931 Bugatti Type 41 Royale Cabrio Weinberger

1939 Bugatti Type 57C Atalante

1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B

2011 Visualtech Growler E (to be produced as Lyonheart E)

1936 Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial-Roadster (with covered spare)

1934 Mercedes-Benz 500K Coupe by VanVooren

1936 Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial-Coupe by Sindelfingen

1935 Mercedes-Benz 500K Autobahn-Kurier

1932 Bucciali TAV 8

1931 Daimler Double Six 40/50 Sport Saloon

1964 Jaguar E-Type Coupe

1962 Ferrari 250GT California

1933 Auburn Boat Tail Speedster

1954 Jaguar XK 120 Coupe

2012 Aston Martin One 77

1931 Duesenberg Model J LWB Whittell Coupe

1932 Duesenberg Dual Cowl Phaeton

1933 Duesenberg Model J "Queen of Diamonds"

1933 Duesenberg SSJ

1939 Delage D8 120 Letourneur & Marchand

1938 Delage D8 120 Portout Aero Coupe

1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow

1930 Bentley Speed Six Coupe

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom I Jonckheere (round door)

Edited by 540K (see edit history)

Americans often settle for a sort of "gut reaction" to art and design. We're somewhat quick to judge and frequently confuse our vague impressions of an object with the beauty of an object. The published list of ten cars here seem to have some commonality, but I think that it's merely the writer's vision of "sleekness" and some attitude about perceived "power". Neither of those really have anything directly to do with beauty. You don't have to look any further than the gull wing Mercedes to know that. It takes time, study and exposure to develope a critical eye. Symmetry, balance and proportion can be very subtle values that ,honestly, not everyone can get a real handle on. Even if one develops some or all of the visual skills of an artist, there's no guarantee that anyone on earth will care what you say about a subject -- it's still just your opinion! It will always be just one persons viewpoint, and subject to disagreement. I know one thing that we do all of the time in all sorts of ways is proclaim things to be the best (no matter what the subject), when we should really just be content to say we feel that this or that is our favorite. The creator of this list of the "Ten Most Beautiful Cars", simply is unequipped to make any broad statement about the relative beauty of cars. They should be embarrassed to think that anyone would care about their opinion!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Americans often settle for a sort of "gut reaction" to art and design. We're somewhat quick to judge and frequently confuse our vague impressions of an object with the beauty of an object. The published list of ten cars here seem to have some commonality, but I think that it's merely the writer's vision of "sleekness" and some attitude about perceived "power". Neither of those really have anything directly to do with beauty. You don't have to look any further than the gull wing Mercedes to know that. It takes time, study and exposure to develope a critical eye. Symmetry, balance and proportion can be very subtle values that ,honestly, not everyone can get a real handle on. Even if one develops some or all of the visual skills of an artist, there's no guarantee that anyone on earth will care what you say about a subject -- it's still just your opinion! It will always be just one persons viewpoint, and subject to disagreement. I know one thing that we do all of the time in all sorts of ways is proclaim things to be the best (no matter what the subject), when we should really just be content to say we feel that this or that is our favorite. The creator of this list of the "Ten Most Beautiful Cars", simply is unequipped to make any broad statement about the relative beauty of cars. They should be embarrassed to think that anyone would care about their opinion!

Terrific breakdown, well said! Reminds me of movie critics, unless they have attended a film school or come from a filmmaking background, it's a layman's opinion with no more import than any other person's. I very often use Rotten Tomatoes, the film rating site, to help me figure out if I might want to watch a specific movie on Netflix or maybe at the second run theatres (movie ticket, pint of beer and a slice of fresh made pizza for under $10!!!) and they have ratings from both critics and another one from audiences. You can usually safely ignore the critic ratings and go with what audiences liked if you want to stack the odds that you will enjoy the movie too. Tho I will say that films like Gummo and Bad Words made me laugh hysterically while nearly everyone else in the theatre sat is silence so it's not always accurate, but still to your point.

Like others, I was a little surprised to see the pony cars represented by the E body Challenger. I would take a 67 Mustang, 69 Camaro, 69 Hemi Cuda, 65 GTO, or a 70 Chevelle over that one any day. Pretty hard to make a comprehensive list that goes all the way back though. I've seen a couple little buckboards (I think one was a Saxon)from the early days that just plain looked cool. Dusenbergs, Delahayes,Delage, just to do few of the "D"s... all hard to compare to modern iron. Odd... nobody mentioned a Rambler?

Wow. What a buzz kill. I believe you take this topic far too seriously. No one has argued "best/most" lists are more than one or a limited number of persons' opinion. Even Kane and Brauer qualify their article with admissions that it is not definitive, that no two people will agree and that it includes non-beauty factors such as performance, firsts and, of all things, having been in a popular movie. So who are you arguing with?

I did not get past the first word in your post before being insulted. You just lumped 318 million people into a generalization that all Americans' knowledge and opinions are the same, that they are different than other nationalities, and you seem to be arguing Americans' opinions are worth less on this subject. That you have, insincerely I think, included yourself in this generalization does not remove the insulting nature of your post. How dare you imply that my opinion is (a) the same as every other American's, (B) a gut reaction and © a vague impression devoid of any appreciation of beauty? You also seem to suggest that "commonality" is needed in a list of bests/favorites. I happen to enjoy very disparate things, and have a relatively broad taste in music, art and cars. You would be hard pressed to find significant commonality in my list of favorite songs, for example. You also argue symmetry, balance and proportion are required for beauty, and while I might agree generally, I would not argue there are no exceptions.

That said, I agree with you wholeheartedly that what are routinely called "best/most" lists should more accurately be called "favorites" lists, but this is not a case of being lazy with word choice. This writer is trying to grab attention with a title in as few words as possible, and also plant a seed for discussion. That's what writers do. Few might care what that person's favorites are, but many people will be intrigued by the argumentative word "best/most" to take a look. I looked. You looked. Bingo. Traffic to the website. The writer is not concerned with whether people agree, but with driving traffic to the site. More discussion/disagreement means more traffic, and that means mission accomplished (and job security in many cases). Readers can either dismiss the list entirely, learn something or perhaps enlighten others with their opinions to further the debate. If, as you seem to think, all Americans need to be better educated about which cars are beautiful, then you have missed the whole point of the list to generate discussion, debate and ultimately education. I look at forums that discuss bests/favorites as being a fun way to see what other people think are beautiful cars, principally because I am still exploring 128 years of automotive design.

I agree with you and, I believe, everyone else on this forum that this particular list isn't very good, but look what a lively discussion it generated. Maybe when you get through looking down your nose you'll share your list of favorites to enlighten us all. I look forward to it since your implication is that you are better "equipped to make a broad statement about the relative beauty of cars." I, on the other hand, do not make any such self-aggrandizing argument and have merely listed my favorites, knowing full well that entire automotive classes are not included in my favorites, despite their symmetry, balance and proportion. In particular, my list does not entertain the notion of relative performance but is merely my opinion of beauty from among the cars I am familiar with. I hope my list will result in others adding their lists so that I will learn about additional beautiful cars. After all, my list is not static -- it changes the more "best" lists I read that expand my knowledge! Thus endeth my soapbox sermon for today. More lists! :cool:

Agree lots of good discussion. I would not be too hard on the author, all I can picture is some green writer in the assignment room "Lisa, you are going to write an article on the 10 most beautiful cars of all time, I need it in 3 hours so best to get moving, you will figure it out..."