Painting recessed letters on ignition/light switch

JFranklin

I have repainted my Clum switch and need to paint in the recessed words PARK DIM OFF ON. I painted the body with black lacquer and tried the letters with white lettering paint thinking I could wipe off any slop. the white in the letters was removed also. I added the white again and let it dry with the thought of sanding off any slop but that didn't work well. I cleaned out all the paint in the letters and will try again. I thought maybe I could just use white cleaner wax since it always stays in the cracks when I polish my car. Does anybody have a good procedure or product to do this job?

J-- I have had good success using the white paint you used but then wiping the flat surface with a small section of a "bondo" squeegee. Then let dry, being sure it is dry! The final step is to rub what paint residue is left out with some compound and something flat that will not reach into the letter depressions, and then polish.---Bob

If you use the wipe off method (which I prefer) as it's way easier and faster than the fill method. The KEY is to use a thick solid wipe, not a cloth towel. The cloth is too soft so it will go into the recess and pull out the paint. You want the wipe to be just moist with thinnier, not wet. Just skim the surface, don't press hard, light touch a couple times. Don't fret if there is a film of paint left. Let it flash and then clean it off with the thinner.

These are the details nobody notices unless they are done poorly. I saw a very nice resto once then look inside and it was obvious they attempted to paint inside the recessed letters individually. Looked horrible! Edges inconsistant and paint slopped around.

Guest shadetree77

Just wanted to add my two cents here...I also use the wipe off method. But instead of using your finger or something else, wrap the cloth around a cork and twist it tight. Then dip the flat end in thinner (lightly, not dripping wet) and use it to wipe off the excess paint. The flat surface of the cork does not allow the cloth to dip down into the recessed letters. Here's a picture of me using it to paint the recessed areas on my fender accents. Works great!

post-75106-143139125036_thumb.jpg