Some (possibly stupid) questions - 55 Buick Special 4DHT

Guest RockabillyRider

Guest RockabillyRider

Hi guys, I'm a day away from bringing home my 1955 Buick Special. Trust me when I saw the past week has wrecked my sleep. It's like Christmas, without the tree!

Anyway, last weekend when I was out visiting it, ( I had some renovations taking place at home, thus no room for the Buick), I noticed the steering was really DIFFICULT. I didn't drive it. Just let her idle for a bit and tried the steering. It was next to impossible to move. I'm aware this model doesn't have power steering, or power brakes, but, when the steering is THAT difficult, what do you suppose the problem is?

Keep in mind, this car sat in a barn (yup, real barn find) since 1999.

Also, the rear-end is really bouncy. Any suggestions? I mean, I know she needs some serious mechanical work done, and I'm more then prepped and ready to sink some money into her, but if you guys can suggest anything for these two issues that'd be great.

Thanks!

Todd

Make sure the tires are fully pumped up. Half flat tires can make steering a ***** when sitting still. It also improves when moving even at a creep, do all your turning when the car is in motion if possible. Probably needs a good all point lube job also.

Re the bouncy rear, sounds like your shocks or shock links may be missing and it's just bouncing on the rear coil springs. Get her and check her out. Don't jump to any conclusions too quick.

Guest RockabillyRider

MrEarl,

Many thanks.

Strangely, I was just reading other forums here, and your name seems to be popping up everywhere. True, the front tires are quite low. It's been years since I've driven a car with non-power steering.

For the rear-end, my plan is to redo the suspension regardless. Up here in Quebec, the roads are shite, littered with potholes, so I want to toughen up the back end as much as possible without taking away some smoothness.

I've worked on plenty of cars, but never anything this old. I'm looking forward to it though.

Todd

The good advice was "Don't jump to any conclusions too quick." Here in Rochester, New York we used to have a company named Kodak and workers with little to do would sit in break rooms and imagine all kinds of B.S. for cars, homes, boats, and the like without ever even seeing them. If you sat down at the table with a couple of them you would probably walk away thinking you needed a Camaro subframe, a 455 with a 400 Turbo, open driveshaft, and a posi rear end. And none of them would have ever had the experience of driving one.

The truth is, your car was built 15 years before we landed men on the moon. We were a fairly advanced nation, technically, at that time. And when a new owner drove out of the showroom they got a pretty smooth and quiet ride for their money. Watch a little Highway Patrol on YouTube and see how well your car would do on the canyon roads.

When you get that car home clean it like you were going to show it at the Nationals. Get to know every nook and cranny; top, bottom, inside and out. Raise it safely and swing those front wheels through their steering arc. Turn the tires by hand, listen and feel. Those bouncy shocks could be low on fluid. There is a plug and hydraulic jack oil can be pumped in with a squirt oil gun.

Just keep remembering, this car was good enough to draw the customer and their money away from a Chevy or Pontiac when it was new. It doesn't need to be modified to perform well. And remember it is not a new car with McPherson struts, rack & pinion steering, 2800 pounds, and disc brakes.

My cars are all stock including NEW biased tires. When I first got into old cars people would cut in quick to read your radiator badge to see what it was. Today, if they don't see my emblem in their rear view mirror when I come up from behind they sure won't see it when I blow by them. These are good cars and perform well.

I saw a new "something or other" a couple days ago and it had an emblem on the back that said "4.0 liters". What is that? 245 cubic inches? I have no idea why anyone would make an emblem like that. They couldn't be bragging and they weren't looking for a donation or handout......

Well, I'm going out to dinner in the '60 Electra ( made ten years before we put men on the moon :):o

Bernie

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey 60FlatTop, Really nice of you to post that. A fun read, and informative too. As mentioned, I've worked on lots of cars, but nothing ever older than 1981 (a junky camaro I got my mitts on back in 1989). This 55 Special is something I've wanted since I was a kid. (I'm 43, and just now gripping that dream) I've looked far and wide for "the just right car" for me, and when I stumbled onto this one, I couldn't resist. The price was right, and I've got the space for it at home, and I've got the time, and funds to really see it through.

I'm not about to change much - she's a complete, numbers matching car, and I don't know if you saw the pics I posted, but she's in great shape both inside and out. I paid 4 grand for her. Only because of the facts I just stated. Clean title, and extremely little rust. Whoever owned this beast before I got my hands on her really took care of her.

I just had her inspected, and appraised yesterday and was thrilled to discover she passed the inspection with flying colors.

Considering the originality of her, and her awesome condition, I won't be doing anything to take away from the historical aspect of her.

The steering, I panicked. The suspension, again, I panicked. Obviously some great advice and tips can be found here among you folks. I wasn't kididng when I said I "feel safe here" - I've been reading posts in various sections and it's more than obvious you guys take this passion very serious, and know your stuff.

Guest Rob McDonald

ROCKATODDY, there are no stupid questions but only stupid people don't ask any. Very glad to read that your dire assumptions about your '55 were unfounded and that your fine car operates as it should. Some of us have had old clunkers since they were new, so we forget how unfamiliar (pre-Space Age, even) they are to younger folks. I have a 30-something friend who asked me if I've ever seen an E-Type Jaguar. He'd found a picture somewhere and thought it was just too beautiful for this planet. Heck, I remember when they were just rusty, unreliable money pits, although they've always been too beautiful for this planet.

Where are the photos you mentioned? I don't see any in your Profile. I like '55's - they were ramping it up, year by year, to the pinnacle of Buick styling - the 1957s. Or so I like to think.

Guest RockabillyRider

Hi Rob, and thanks. I just uploaded my pics (again). Hopefully they're accessible. "Space-Age" is the word that's always come to mind when I see the old 50s classics. I like the styling. Always have. So much chrome, and REAL chrome. Not the plastic "chrome"skins" we find on the cars of today.

Speaking of chrome - much of the rust on this car is actually on the chrome - though it's not "rusted-through", its more or less surface.

Accessible where? I checked your Gallery and no pictures. Is there another thread? If you haven't already, go to the Me and My Buick forum and start a thread with a title like "Rockabillies 55 Special 4 door hard top" or similar and show and tell there. And also, the General forum is more for general Buick bs, you may get better results with technical questions in the Post War Forum. Look forward to seeing the fitty fibe and hearing about it's arrival home. buba.gif

Guest RockabillyRider

Oops... I can see them... http://forums.aaca.org/members/rockabillyrider/albums/my-55-special/

She just arrived home. I followed the flatbed all the way here (used my CAA "free 200 kms twice per year thing). She was bouncing around a bit, but the tires are pretty low. All in all, got her home safe and sound!

I'm just kind of sitting out there in the driveway staring at her right now. I'll take your advice and post in the post-war forum.

Non- power steering is similar to wrestling a great ape. Especially when not in motion. Much easier when moving as others said. Good road feel though. Bias ply tires are like riding on marshmellows. The car will respond like a barge on the Mississippi River. I would not have it any other way. This is the characteristics of these land yachts. It is part of the experience. The rear probably needs new shocks. Even though these cars are old the engineering and theory to make them work is not much different than todays cars. Enjoy!

Guest RockabillyRider

avgwarhawk - Thanks! I can't stop staring at 'er! I just snapped another pic of the trunk - the original blue paint is still showing LIKE NEW on the inside of the trumk lid, and get this - The original factory jack notice is still there! I'll upload the pic to my gallery.

After doing a visual inspection here in the driveway, here's what I see;

1) rear brake cylinder (passenger side) is leaking fluid all over the tire.

2) I'm assuming the little "puddle" under her is the tranny. I haven't pinpointed the leak yet, but I'll check after supper (chicken saturday here at home) and try to pinpoint where the leak is coming from. My guess is one of the seals. Just don't know which one.

As for the rearend bounce, I was riding behind the flatbed all the way home watching every bump; She bounced, but didn't bottom out, which was a huge concern.

I had a look at the shocks - they're dirty and greazy. I'm wondering what the chances are of having them rebuilt, or, should I just buy new ones?

Thanks, Chris! You guys are great by the way!

Todd

Don't stress out too much if the tranny seals are leaking a little. Mine always leaks a little when it sits for a while, but when I drive more frequently the leaks go away. Looks good in the pictures to me...I say do what you need to drive it safely and enjoy!

Guest RockabillyRider
Don't stress out too much if the tranny seals are leaking a little. Mine always leaks a little when it sits for a while, but when I drive more frequently the leaks go away. Looks good in the pictures to me...I say do what you need to drive it safely and enjoy!

Hey Brian, my problem is I hav eto go for what's known as "Quebec's Auto Inspection". They're REALLY brutal and picky. I'll spend a couple of weeks with another mechanic friend of mine and go over as much as I can to get things in tip-top shape - enough to appease the Quebec Road Warrior Government.

As per getting her ready for driving it safely - that's mah plan! :)

Guest RockabillyRider
Rebuild the rear shocks. Replace the front shocks.

​Congratulations!!

Thanks very much, James! And thanks for the advice!

Hey Brian, my problem is I hav eto go for what's known as "Quebec's Auto Inspection". They're REALLY brutal and picky. I'll spend a couple of weeks with another mechanic friend of mine and go over as much as I can to get things in tip-top shape - enough to appease the Quebec Road Warrior Government.

As per getting her ready for driving it safely - that's mah plan! :)

Ok...gotcha on the inspection, didn't know that about Quebec.

Guest Rob McDonald

This is a beauty! Your photos are good, although they show up VERY LARGE on my screen. (To see the pictures, by the way, pick on Todd's username, RockabillyRider, top left, and then his User Profile [not View Gallery Uploads, that's something different]. In the lefthand column, go down to Albums and pick on My '55 Special. Well, His '55 Special, actually.)

I like your car all in white, with the pink and grey upholstery. Hard to understand why it would have been originally painted greyish-blue with that interior. Maybe those are old-style after-market seat covers? I hear your pain, regarding safety inspections, but it does have a purpose. Here in Alberta, you can drive any old piece of crap, as long as your insurer is okay with it. For cars over ten years old, you usually get a mechanic's inspection done when you first insure it with them, then you're on your own after that. The police seem to ignore busted headlights, bad mufflers, and swiss cheese rust.

Guest RockabillyRider

Brian - Yes, Quebec is a bit more anal about these things. Too bad the same rules don't apply here that apply in Alberta. I may end up having to go through inspection 2 or 3 times just to get a stamp of approval.

Ron Sorry about the pics.I had no idea they'd be so big. I took the pics with my Android, they don't usually get that big. I'm thinking of starting a blog for the car (Peggy-Sue), so I can put smaller images in a nice little gallery there.

I like the car AS IS, the white actually works for me, but I really am partial to the 2-tones in classic beasts, so I'm looking around at different ideas. Not a heck of a lot of body work to be done on her, mostly just surface rust and a very tiny dent in the left quarter-panel; barely noticeable.

I keep going outside for a smoke. I really can't believe she's actually in my driveway. Dream come true indeed.

Guest RockabillyRider
Glad I live in Maine. No inspections of any kind required for any vehicle registered and insured as an antique. However, if I did register with regular plates for every day driving, then the car would have to pass an annual safety inspection.

Suddenly I feel as though I'm being shafted. I don't mind inspection, I just know (from the words of others here) that the inspection won't generally go well. Either way, if it kills me (and my bank account), I'll get it passed.

Incidentally, (and a little off-topic), the wife and I are heading to our first Classic Car show up here next weekend called the Granby Auto Show (in Grandby, Quebec) if anyone's interested. Unfortunately for me I won't be driving the Buick for this one. Maybe next year. Voitures Anciennes de Granby The site is in French, but you can see what some of Quebec's Classic Auto enthusiasts are up to.

John_Main - you're not too far from Grandby actually.

Guest Skyking
I'm aware this model doesn't have power steering, or power brakes, but, when the steering is THAT difficult, what do you suppose the problem is?

Rockabilly, power steering was available as an option on the Special. My parents bought a new '55 Century that didn't have P/S and I know the feeling. It was the first car I ever drove when I turned 16. But we did get buy. In 1974 I bought a '55 Special that did have the P/S.

Bob

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey Bob,

When I was 16 I was given mom and dad's old 73 Toyota Celica ST. Great little car, no power steering. I learned how to drive on that car, and a year later, bought a 75 Dodge Dart, with PS and PB. I have't driven a car without PS or PB since.

I was looking for some parts and came across a power steering "conversion kit" for the 55 Special. Don't know if I'd like to do that to a car that's currently 99% original. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Drive it as is for a while and you will learn to make the steering work for you instead of fighting it with brute force. Remember that these cars were driven by people of all statures. Our first car was a 55 Special with manual steering. There were no shopping centers; if you went to town to shop you had to parallel park. My wife could park it better and faster than me since she did not like to walk.

Willie

Guest RockabillyRider

Old Tank - incidentally, Just came in from taking a closer look at the engine, and to my surprise, I see on top, clear as day, a round resevoir, attached to a pulley, "power steering - fill only to line".

I followed two hoses to the steering column.... Why the stiffness in power steering? And, I'm baffled.... if the car is equipped with PS, shouldn't the brakes too, be PB?

Guest RockabillyRider

UPDATE: Opened up the resevoir - Bone dry!!! My hope is that it was never driven bone dry enough to kill the PS mech.

Guest Rob McDonald

I don't think running dry would have hurt anything in the power steering system. As you have found, cars with their P/S disabled are very difficult to drive, so it's really unlikely that anyone ever tried it for any length of time. Long ago, I bought a '57 Chrysler that had a massive P/S fluid leak that took about a quart per day to keep up. When it got low, you could barely steer the car. Unlike the GM system, the Chrysler's steering got really, really loose when the fluid was down, which made keeping it between the ditches a challenge. Didn't take me long to get around to fixing that one. A new high pressure hose did the trick.

Your problem was probably starting before the car was put away and the oil just ran out during longterm storage. It uses automatic transmission fluid, by the way, and doesn't take much to fill 'er up - couple of quarts maybe. I can't say for sure what GM Dexron specification to use - they're up to type VI now but they're supposed to be backward-compatible. Still, I'd look for Dexron III for our old cars P/S and auto transmissions. It is still available.

Guest sintid58

My 55 Special was bouncy in the rear and I filled the shock with shock oil and it rides very good now.

Guest RockabillyRider

Guys, (all three above me)

Here's what I did;

Filled the resevoir with Automatic trans oil (Type "A" as described on the resevoir). Been checking for leaks but so far don't see any).

I haven't had a chance to test it though. My battery died, and when trying to boos it from my Escape, nada... nothin'. Ziltch. Well, she caught once, but the idle is screwy (needs some carb adjustment and there's almost no gas in 'er). Figured I'll wait til tomorrow (or later today if I can't stand it any longer) and just go buy a new battery from Canadian Tire), throw it in and start 'er up and check the PS.

I'm noticing little things. Like, the overflow tubing from the radiator is rusted and has a couple holes in it. Think it'd be ok to replace part of that tubing with rubber?

2 leaks (minor) - one in the middle of the underside, I'm guessing it's tranny. The other is right beneath the rear of the oil pan. This one appeared over night. I'm thinking I should check the oil drain plug, filter and oil pan gasket.

Rear brake cylinder is leaking. It's the only sylinder leaking. I can see the fluid on the rear tire (passenger side).

Question - where is the windshield washer resevoir supposed to be located? I don't see one anywhere. I'm still waiting for my shop manual to arrive.

Todd

Guest Rob McDonald

Here's a link to a listing for a lovely original '55 Special 2-door, with photos of its carefully detailed engine compartment. I don't see a glass jar washer fluid reservoir in there. It could very well have been an option not chosen on either this car or yours. This post comes from Vintage Motor Cars, part-owned by this Forum's very own Matt Harwood.

Vintage Motor Cars :: 1955 Buick Special

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey Rob, Yes, I saw that about a week ago. Couldn't believe my eyes. PRISTINE condition. Not a speck of dust anywhere. One hell of a fine restore!

That Special on Matt's website is all original! About 18,000 miles on it.

You are definitely going to want to change all of the hoses, wheel cylinders, and rebuild the master cylinder. Check, but don't necessarily change the brake shoes. Keep an eye on the PS fluid, I'd be surprised if it didn't leak after being that empty. The washer fluid is in a glass jar on the drivers side vent hump. They never have worked for me. I'd just tell the inspector (I am assuming that is why you are asking) that it didn't come with one. ;) The trans will leak from the torque ball retainer, we will walk you through that later. Put a quart of STP in the transmission fill tube (yes, you read that right).

check the oil drain plug and all of the pan bolts. If that stops the engine leak, you win. All Buicks leak (for future reference) even completely restored ones. Buy a few drip pans.

Welcome aboard.

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey Mike,

That Special (on Matt's website) is incredible. Just showed the wife, and she asked me; "Are you going to do the same thing to yours?" I laughed, but then realized yea, that's my plan.

Tomorrow I'll head over to Canadian Tire again and grab some hoses and new clamps. I was looking on a site (for the past 5 hours now) at a HUGE selection of parts from PartsTrain.com - good prices, and they have a lot of what I need. Anyone have any experience with these guys? Are they reputable? I emailed the folks at Kanter 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything back. Yet.

Brakes - I plan on replacing the cyls in each wheel. I checked out the brake lines and they look good. Unless you think I should replace those as well. I can't find a glass jar on the hump. I haven't gotten under the car completely yet, I just picked up a 2-ton hydrolic jack and stands today, incidentally. I"ll pick up a quart (litre, here) of STP... but STP what, exactly?

I'll check all bolts and the plug tomorrow morning and let you know.

Thanks!

STP Oil Treatment. It is probably half a litre.

It is some thick stuff that'll slow a leak. I prefer it to modern trans-leak type substances, because they are even thinner than the ATF. Not a scientific reason, for sure, just my opinion.

Check here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/how-do-frame-restoration-294509.html

That is the way to go (rather than this):

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/55-century-convertible-project-272999.html

Although you can see some good stuff here ;)

Guest RockabillyRider
STP Oil Treatment. It is probably half a litre.

It is some thick stuff that'll slow a leak. I prefer it to modern trans-leak type substances, because they are even thinner than the ATF. Not a scientific reason, for sure, just my opinion.

Check here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/how-do-frame-restoration-294509.html

That is the way to go (rather than this):

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/55-century-convertible-project-272999.html

Although you can see some good stuff here ;)

I'll definitely pick some up tomorrow morning then! Thanks for pointing that out. And thanks for the links!

Guest Rob McDonald

MIKE, on photo number 31 in Matt's ad for that time-machine '55, there are 3 holes and a bracket on the driver's side vent housing. It doesn't look like anything's ever been attached there because the original spattered-on sealant is still intact. Would that be the mounting position for a windshield washer jar, when one was ordered?

TODD, if your car never had one of these, you're sort of lucky, as far as the provincial inspection goes. If you do want to install one later, I'm sure they are readily available used. You might find one of the vacuum ports on the wiper motor is plugged off. The washer pump was probably activated by vacuum, although your shop manual, when it comes, will tell you all about that.

Todd

You have been introduced to most of the enablers on this board, so you have no chance to avoid or kick this addiction. First we try to make them dependable, fun and safe to drive then restore...that is the part that gets you hooked.

The leak at the rear wheel is probably a wheel cylinder, but could also be rear end lubricant or even transmission fluid that got there, all of which is a straight forward fix. Always try to find parts locally first, as an example parts like wheel cylinders are available from NAPA that are cheaper, better warranty and in your hand sooner. Sometimes the counter man will tell you they are not listed, but check back here and we will supply part numbers. Rockauto is also a good resource: even if you don't buy, they have part numbers that can be cross referenced.

Willie