Some (possibly stupid) questions - 55 Buick Special 4DHT

Guest RockabillyRider

Guest sintid58

Before going to the expense of rebuilding the rear shock make sure what you have is full of shock oil. If made a world of difference on mine once they were full and rides great now. Use Hydralic Jack oil if you can't find shock oil. Front shocks are available from Cars Inc.

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey Sid,

Just got confirmation yesterday that my rear shocks are actually fine. I MAY replace the rear coil springs though - not sure yet.

I found the rear axel seals, had them shipped, they're now installed.

I have however, been searching high and low for a neutral safety switch. I found ONE, on Ebay, selling for 75.00 USD.

I contacted the seller and asked if I bought it, if he can ship it FedEx or UPS "overnight". The switch, and two freeze plugs are the only things keeping my car in the shop at this point. Oddly, the freeze plugs are 2.5 inch diameter. I'm finding only smaller ones. I checked with Dorman on those and they told me they do have some at 2.5 inch so my garage ordered them.

HOPEFULLY, I'll driving around by mid week next week.

*crossing fingers".

Todd

P.S. If anyone knows where I can find a neutral safety switch NEW, please let me know.

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey Mike,

She starts in neutral, however the connection in the switch that activates the reverse backup lights doesn't work. Someone (I swear it wasn't me!) at some point jammed a screw in place of the little mechanism and wrapped some wire around the screw, I'm guessing to make contact with the shifter mech.

I believe they screwed up the contact for the reverse lights.

Todd