Some (possibly stupid) questions - 55 Buick Special 4DHT

Guest RockabillyRider

Guest RockabillyRider

Willie and Rob - Thanks very much for the tips. I'll check with NAPA tomorrow. There's one here in my town. I'll take the tire off tomorrow too, and see if I can verify whether or not its a cylinder.

This car sat in a barn, covered with blue tarp since 2007, so as mentioned previously, I'll definitely replaces all the hoses.

I want to keep the car as original as possible. Eventually, I'd love to get hold of the complete history. Already, I know she was made here in Canada - most likely the GM plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

I'd like to get her on a lift and have a mechanic friend of mine give a good look undernearth. SOmething I noticed earlier today was a weld on one of the "X" frame sections, front end, passenger side.

I did notice a little skinny tube hanging down from the center unit (under the hood) attached to the firewall... No idea here, but is that the wiper motor?

Todd

Rockabilly;Thats why it has a realy big steering wheel[banjo] Parrallel parking is not easy.You can get the lever shock re-built,also the struts connecting them may be shot and are replaceable,check anything rubber,as age and "sitting" takes it's toll.GOOD LUCK!! Mark

Guest RockabillyRider

Mark - Thanks very much! I'm about to take the car to my local garage (I trust these guys and have a good repore with them) so they're going to check everything for me. Whatever they can fix/repair/replace for me there makes my job a little easier here in my driveway.

Todd

Guest RockabillyRider

And an update on the PS fluid - I filled the empty resevoir yesterday afternoon. I haven;t driven the car, but overnight, a large amount of fluid leaked onto my driveway, right under the front section of the drivers seat. I'm guesing one or both of the power sterring hoses is cracked.

Guest RockabillyRider

Yea, I'm hoping it's simple too. I'm hoping the leak is travelling down the tube then dripping onto the pavement.

Guest RockabillyRider

:confused:UPDATE:

I bought a new battery today. Installed it. Initially, she wouldn't start. Sounded like the battery was dead. I let her sit all of 5 mins, tried it again, she struggled, caught, and ran. I let the engine run a good 10 minutes. The idle is crap-o-la. Up...down.... boggy... burning super rich. But eventually, the idle climbed a bit, and stayed put. No knocks, no pings, but... I can hear what sounds like a "whirring/whistle" either from the exhaust or...

Tried the power steering - no luck. a hideous noise, like cranking sound....and TWO leaks under the front driver side. Big leaks. I'm GUESSING (remember, I haven't received my shop manual yet) that it's because the fluid needs to circulate a bit... I tried - left to right.... left to right.... I'm afraid of breaking something.

Looking inside the engine, I see fluid on top of the mechanism just beneath the resevoir. Underneath, two puddles.

Holy cow I hope this is just tubing.

Not knowing if you put fresh gas in it is probable the gas it is running on is bad. How long did she sit? If long it would be best to drain the tank and clean up the carb. Rebuild if needed.

The PS leak might be the very reason she was sidelined years ago. A repair the owner was not willing to make.

Guest RockabillyRider

Tenugent- haha! I just offered the guy 1000 less than what he was asking and managed to swing it. Its a great car. Guess i got lucky. :-)

Guest RockabillyRider

Chris - I hope the PS unit isn't toast. That's 600 bucks right there. Ill definitely take that advice on the gas tank and Carb rebuild! Thanks!

Guest RockabillyRider
My bet it's the hose. Replacement hoses can be found. Or, made by a good hydraulic shop.

I'm hoping it's just the hoses. Super cheapy fix. ;) Just in case, I'm looking around for a gasket kit, and even a power steering unit. Here, we can buy lengths of hoses at different diameters, so I was thinking of stocking up on a bunch of the things.

Guest RockabillyRider

bhambulldog - I'll take a closer look at that tomorrow and have a look at CARS. I'm a little concerned that I have't received my shop manual yet. I have no idea whaty half of these old parts are.

Todd

It's easy to make a bowl gasket, just be sure to save the bushings in the old gasket. I make mine from leather (preferred) or cork-rubber gasket material. The bowl or reservoir will probably be bent from pulling on it to tighten the belt (that will be your first metal working assignment). If the power steering unit leaks it is usually internal where the hydraulic section leaks into the gear section (there will be transmission fluid mixed with gear oil coming out of the filler). The generic replacement hoses will be functional, but the performance will not be ideal. The pressure hose needs the restriction built into the original (different size hoses joined) otherwise the system will be noisy. A local NAPA parts store that makes hoses and with a good (and patient) counterman made duplicates that function well and were cheaper. See my website for other power steering details.

Willie

Guest RockabillyRider

Good afternoon Willie,

I walked right by some rolls and sheets of cork gasket material at Canadian Tire the other day. I KNEW I should have grabbed some. I'll pick some up this week because I'm quite sure I'll be making gaskets over the weekend. I'll also pay a visit to the local UAP/NAPA shop and see about hoses. The thing with my steering right now (aside from the leak), is there is some significant play/slack in the steering wheel, before the "noise" starts.

I've been online all day look up parts and rebuild options etc for the power steering unit, but a new or rebuilt unit isn't cheap. I PRAY it's the hoses and/or gaskets.

I'm at work right now, but I'm going to take a picture of the leaks, and their relative locations and post it up here to show you (if you don't mind having a look) to see if I can narrow the search down. The two hoses coming from the resevoir are dry... yet there is some fluid on something just beneath the resevoir - a shiney piece. My apologies - much of this is new to me, I must sound like a complete idiot.

Thanks so much Willie. (and everyone else!)

Todd

Guest Skyking
Hey Bob,

When I was 16 I was given mom and dad's old 73 Toyota Celica ST. Great little car, no power steering. I learned how to drive on that car, and a year later, bought a 75 Dodge Dart, with PS and PB. I have't driven a car without PS or PB since.

I was looking for some parts and came across a power steering "conversion kit" for the 55 Special. Don't know if I'd like to do that to a car that's currently 99% original. Thoughts?

Well actually, in 1974 my brother who by now inherited my parents 55 Century and was looking to up grade it to P/S. That's when he bought the 55 Special I ended up with. After driving the Special he decided to scratch the idea, not because of the Century's originality, but because the Special drove so nice he didn't want to part the car. So if you feel up to it, go for it. You won't be disappointed...........Below is a photo of the 55 Special when I owned it. I sold it in 1994 at the Daytona Turkey Rod Run and never seen it again.

post-30819-143139108058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

Guest RockabillyRider

Hi Bob,

That's a great lookin Buick. I'm becoming more and more attached to this car with every passing day. I don't think I'll be getting rid of her any time soon, no matter how much work I have to do. I've seen the way everyone here has their cars looking after restores, and I want that as well.

Incidentally, my 55 does in fact has power steering. (something I completely overlooked) It just had an empty/bone-dry resevoir. Since filling it, though, the fluid has been leaking out onto my driveway.

I should mention that this restore is my FIRST EVER. I've dabbled in mechanics for years, but have never worked on such a car. Part of me is worried, the other part of me just keeps telling myself to get in there and "git dirty!". That's the plan.

This may be a stupid question, but do you miss the Buick?

Guest Skyking

Rock, that's why your steering was so tough. When the power of it is not working, the steering is harder than normal.................. I do miss my 55 Buick. maybe in part because I had it for 20 years. I do enjoy my '62 Invicta convertible though. Do as others said, work on the mechanics while driving it and enjoy it. "55's were great cars, but then again, all Buicks are great!!

Guest RockabillyRider

Thanks again Bob. Just got home, started her up - first press of the gas pedal. Love that sound. If all goes well, I should be able to drive her around town, and maybe to work one day, in a couple of weeks.

. . . . . so I can get her prepped in early spring for body and two-tone paint (deep metalic burnt orange in the center, white top, white bottom) . . . . .

Saw the above (your) post on the PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF thread.

I've noticed that the "DOUBLE NICKEL" Buicks are coming on strong recently with the younger crowd. Does Jay Leno's Roadblaster have anything to do with that?

Anyways, I thought you might be interested in seeing a couple of colored pics of a DREAMSICLE. Yeah, I know it's a two door but it gives you another idea to drool over. The pics were taken last month, June 22, 2012, at the 39th Annual Minnesota Street Rod Association's BACK TO THE FIFTIES car show at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul, Minnesota. The show drew 11,900+ registrants this year, 1964 and older classics, antiques, OEM stock, customs, street rods, and even rat rods :mad:. Recent years' shows had Buick registrations pegged in the 400+ range . . . . . definitely a show you need to attend at least once.

Note what a hot wrench to your four coil springs and rear wheel wells can do for the look. WARNING! If you show these pics to your wife and she notices the sign in the rear quarter window and wants you to go with PLAN B, I have the Owner's information. :)

Good Luck.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143139109602_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143139109592_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

I should mention that this restore is my FIRST EVER. I've dabbled in mechanics for years, but have never worked on such a car. Part of me is worried, the other part of me just keeps telling myself to get in there and "git dirty!". That's the plan.

Engineering and theory are much the same for every car. Get the manual for repairs. This will relieve a lot of worry.

Guest RockabillyRider
Engineering and theory are much the same for every car. Get the manual for repairs. This will relieve a lot of worry.

Thanks for that. I'm just a wee bit nervous. Last thing I want to do is screw something up. I ordered a second repair/shop manual from Ebay yesterday. I've been waiting almost 3 weeks now for the first order.

This morning, I had 'Peggy-Sue" flat-bedded to my local garage. The boys there know their stuff, and they're giving a hard core look this morning at my power steering, brakes, suspension and other. It'll cost me a bit, but I'm expecting that. she's worth it!

Todd

Guest RockabillyRider

1953Mack (Al)

Thanks very much for posting those pics. Oddly, I've opted with a very similar color - Creamsicle, yet, the orange I've chosen is a deeper tone, metallic, and more of a "burnt-orange". The really strange thing is, the photo of the Special I printed out, and have displayed on my office wall - I'm thinking it's the same car you posted!

"GNLOW" is the tag on this one, and there is some pin-striping on the trunk lid.

I WAS going to keep the original colour (which is actually blue), but wanted that 2 tone color I'm so partial to.

Todd

Guest Caribou
Hi Bob,

anics for years, but have never worked on such a car. Part of me is worried, the other part of me just keeps telling myself to get in there and "git dirty!". That's the plan.

This may be a stupid question, but do you miss the Buick?

Hey, if I can get along, anyone can. Take your time, read, and ask lots of questions. Remember to have fun along the way.

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey Caribou,

I actally had the car flatbedded to the local garage this morning for a complete assessment. I left her there, went to work, ate most of my finger nails until I got a call from the garage; "Can you come by the garage?" said the voice on the phone.... I think my heart skipped a beat, so I left work and drove to the garage. There she was, up on the lift, hood open, tires and drums off. I was called over to have a look, and listen to the explanations;

Car's in great condition for its age. They told me. They marvelled at it's condition, really. Which left me feeling incredibly cool and RELEIVED!

They're replacing all four wheel cylinders, flushing the fluids, replacing all major hoses, rebuilding my power steering box, and fixing a leak in the passenger side rear axle.

She'll be there a couple of weeks. I told 'em not to rush. I want her back in prime condition so I can finally drive her around.

All the rest is minor, (for me) as I'll be shopping around for new parts (chrome valve cocers, for example), repainting the breather, and slapping brand new white-walls on her.

In the fall, she goes into the body shop for a complete head-to-toe job, and a new paintjob (2 tone).

This is it folks - my Buick is definitely a keeper!! I'm feeling a little more confident now.

Todd

Guest RockabillyRider
There are no dumb questions. Just dumb answers :) Everybody here is just as excited to see this puppy rolling as you!

Thanks Chris!

Guest Rob McDonald

TODD, "I told 'em not to rush"... Ooo, you don't want to be using that phrase too often.

Last October, I took my MG to a very reliable shop, to get a minor dent in the hood and grille fixed. Someone backed into it, left me a note (bless his heart!), so it's a simple insurance job. Told 'em I wasn't in a hurry, figuring that I might get a couple of months of free winter storage out of it. Well, tomorrow I'm finally going to pick up the little bugger. Even now, EIGHT MONTHS LATER, the guy said his wife will be cleaning the car this afternoon, getting it ready for me in the morning.

I'm lovin' the sound of orange and white two-tone! Are you sticking with the pink and grey interior? That could work really well with the exterior, depending on how the orange and pink get along. Or, what the heck, do the insides over in any scheme you want, if it needs it anyway. It is absolutely your car and don't let anyone guilt you into a "pure" restoration. Save that for the mega-buck '53-'54 Skylarks and muscle car GSs that might pay it back at resale time. Dime-a-dozen 4-door Buicks like yours and mine want to be driven and enjoyed, not parked in a bank vault.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest RockabillyRider

HeyRob,

Yeah, telling them "no rush" - I hope it doesn't backfire on me.Though I've had very positive experiences with this particular garage with myother cars, they seem to be babying this Buick. They were really impressed withit when it rolled in there. I stopped in on my way home from work yesterdayjust see how things were going, and here's what they've done, and are preppingto do;

1) The repaired my PS box and replaced the seals, and the gasket on theresevoir.

2) The removed all drums, cleaned, reset and painted the drims (removed all therust, too!) and are waiting on the cylinders to install them.

3) repaired/replaced front linkage and bushings.

4) found the problem with the headlights and reverse lights ( headlight dimmerswitch is cooked, neutral safety switch is toast)

5) removed the rear axels, and are waiting for new seals for them as well as anew gasket for the diff.

Underneath - the frame was repaired on the front, passenger side of the"X" frame. Very good, solid weld and plate there now. This was doneprior to me getting the car.

There are still a few things to have done, but now it's pretty much a waitinggame (for parts and such).

Sorry to heat about your MG!!!! That really blows chunks! But, at least it'sall straightened away now. Admittedly, 8 months.... oh my god! I don't think Ican wait that long. In fact, I know I couldn't. My goal is to drive this beastaround for much of the remainder of the summer!

The 2-tone orange and white is something I've taken a few months to decide on.I have options, obviously, but I REALLY want this car to stand out, and thosecolours, like the image posted above, REALLY pop!

Granted, the interior is actually in good condition, I would rather have theseats redone in a tough vinyl - again, 2 tone orange and white, to match theexterior. I'm even thinking of painting the dash orange to match the body.

I'm kinda going for that "50s Diner look" inside.

I've been snapping pics every chance I get so I can showcase the entire"Before And After"l and everything in between.

Thanks for the advice, Rob! Glad you're getting your ride back!

Todd

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey guys,

Went to see my 55 this morning on the way to work, and was told "coulda had the car tomorrow", but.... here's a situation I can't seem to bend;

I need 2 Frost Plugs, both of which measurre 2.5 inches. The largeast I've seen on COUNTLESS parts sites is 1.5 inch.

The rear wheel oil seals that were shipped to the shop are as follows;

National Part # 414045

1.875 x 20782 x500

They fit inside, so the inner and outer diamters are fine. However, it's the thickness of these seals that is the problem. They're too thick. After measuring the depth, I need 1/4 inch thickness.

Does anyone have an suggestion of where I can find these parts?

Todd

Guest Skyking

With good luck, I buy from Rock Auto for my old cars. Their part list the same number you posted by National. But they do list your freeze plug for $.79.................

RockAuto Parts Catalog Look under, "Engine", then "Cylinder hear plug" and you'll see Dorman, part #555052

cr18704

Hey guys,

Went to see my 55 this morning on the way to work, and was told "coulda had the car tomorrow", but.... here's a situation I can't seem to bend;

I need 2 Frost Plugs, both of which measurre 2.5 inches. The largeast I've seen on COUNTLESS parts sites is 1.5 inch.

The rear wheel oil seals that were shipped to the shop are as follows;

National Part # 414045

1.875 x 20782 x500

They fit inside, so the inner and outer diamters are fine. However, it's the thickness of these seals that is the problem. They're too thick. After measuring the depth, I need 1/4 inch thickness.

Does anyone have an suggestion of where I can find these parts?

Todd

That National part number is one I have used before...must have changed the specs. Anyhow try CR industries cr18704. Or contact Bob's Automobilia.

Willie

Guest RockabillyRider

Thanks a bunch, Willie. Yes, the National Part # was what was shipped. Fits like a glove, diameter-wise, but was about twice as thick. Thanks for the info. Heading over there now.

These are the obly parts keeping my car on the lift right now. I could have had her on the road tomorrow. :(

Todd

Guest RockabillyRider

Mike, you need axle seals? I ordered mine bout an hour ago from OldBuickParts.com. they'll be at my door tomorrow by UPS. :-)