'54-'56 Buick guys--step inside

brad54

I'm trying to gauge interest in beefier front sway bars for '54-'56 Buicks.

I had one prototyped, and just got the prices back.

It's 1.00-inch diameter, with a spring rate of 500 lbs/ft.

The stock bars are .690-inch dia, and 113 lbs/ft.

It should firm up the ride without making anything harsh.

It's a direct bolt-on replacement, comes powder coated black, and with urethane saddle and end link bushings.

They fit all Buick models from '54, '55 and '56.

It's going to take a small pile of money to get enough ordered at a crack to make it do-able.

At $229 shipped to your door, how many would be interested?

-Brad

Edited by brad54 (see edit history)

Guest Davii

Brad:

I'd likely be interested. What is the specific symptom you were trying to "cure" for?

Steve

55 Buick Special

The cure was simply mushy, wallowing '50s car cornering.

It doesn't have to go through a corner like a Corvette, but it doesn't need to go through a corner like a V-hull boat either!

Many aftermarket sway bars are 1.125-inch/800lbs... I felt that was a little too aggressive for '54-56 Buicks.

-Brad

What about one for the rear?

Using normal rubber end link bushings will effectively lower the resistance rate by about 20%, in case the stated rate might be a little severe on rough roads.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

A guy out in California had several of these made a few years ago and installed one on his 54 Special he ran in the La Carrera Panamericana race in Mexico. He said it improved cornering and body roll dramatically. I bought one of his but lo and behold, UPS managed to loose the d*** thing. Glad to see someone making them available. Put me down for two Brad. I got to say though, I don't see how you're making any thing at this price. I think the one I bought was like $150 and that was for just the bar, no mounting brackets or end links OR SHIPPING.

I dropped back to say if an order can be ready to be made in time to have them at your place (Jefferson GA) by the time of the Nationals I can bring them to Charlotte when I come. But then I noticed the fact this isn't in the Buy Sale forum so I take it they aren't for sale yet. Let me know if I can help though.

Ten years ago I had a couple of sway bars made by a place in Oregon (still looking for the name, phone, etc). I have one on my 55 Century, it is one inch and it greatly improved the handling. That car already had heavier spring installed and in this case the ride quality was unaffected. With bias ply tires, it went from severe understeer in corners to about neutral; with radials there is slight oversteer. Now only the slow ratio steering is the limiting factor in the handling department. One other improvement is that the front tires wear more evenly. (Buick5563 has the other sway bar on stock springs --- he can comment on that setup)

Willie

Great. Are you to a point where you are taking orders?

Not just yet. I have to come up with a chunk of money to order 50 of them to get a reasonable price.

I'm about to start putting stuff on Ebay, and should be ready to take orders in 4-6 weeks.

I could take orders and "back-order" them, but I don't want to hold anyone's money until I have bars in boxes ready to ship out.

-Brad

Guest 41Super

Steve Dole used the sway bar from my 55 special as a pattern for his 1.125" sway bar he used on his '54 for the La Carrera Panamericana race. Put one on my '55 and it was a great improvement over the stock set-up. I also have Fatman's 2" dropped spindles to lower the car a little.

Edited by 41Super (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, just thought I'd bump this up to let all of you know I've got my first shipment of sway bars boxed and ready to send out.

There's an ad in the Classifieds, but I thought I'd bump this up on the main board too.

1.00-inch diameter, powder-coated black to modern OE specs and standards, urethane bushings and gold iridite plated hardware. These bolt on directly in place of the stock sway bar, with no additional holes or anything required.

-Brad

here is the Classified ad link > http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1954-56-buick-performance-front-sway-353635.html

post-30920-143141952723_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl
add link to Classified (see edit history)

brad

What is the shipping weight and dimensions of the shipping package...or give an idea of the cost on your first sale:).

Willie

They ship in approved UPS boxes, and a random selection of zipcodes from coast-to-coast (five states spread pretty evenly) yielded shipping prices between $19.31 (sylvania, Ohio) to $34.93 (Oakwood, CA). The others were in the mid $20s range, with the two I've shipped so far going to the West Coast for mid $20s.

UPS is a good bit cheaper than USPS, according to my research (walking in with one and giving them five addresses to get quotes)

-Brad

UPS is evil with respect to crossing the border. The only question in my mind right now is whether I want one badly enough and whether or not an exchange could be made in South Bend so I could drive it back myself.

Well, you DEFINITELY want one badly enough!

I'd be happy to send it to someone else that's going if you can arrange it.

Or, we could send it to your hotel and you could pick it up there.

-Brad

Guest 55SuperBuick

Hi

Would you ship them to Australia? If so, what would the total cost be? Our 55 Super needs a lot of love in the handling department!

Cheers

Hi

Would you ship them to Australia? If so, what would the total cost be? Our 55 Super needs a lot of love in the handling department!

Cheers

Hi, I have previously emailed Brad with the same question and suggested some options I have of getting one out here to Australia. If you would like to PM me or email me at buickman@bigpond.net.au I can update you.

If anyone else in Australia is interested please contact me as well

• 1 month later...