Found in junkyard

MrEarl

Still finding more stuff in the North Georgia junkyard (Demorest) I've been hitting for the last couple months. Found another couple of items I'm not quite sure what are and will be bringing home. (some may remember the cobalt acetylene floor lamp that was used in the shop from a previous post). Can anyone offer suggestions as to what these items are. The one appears to be a pump of some sort. It was made by WESTINGHOUSE and has to electromagnetic coils with piston running through each. The big cast iron flywheel was resting with it but not sure if it is part of it or not, Then there is this water wheel looking thing.??? And to keep this car related here are a few Rust never sleeps photos too.

I'll also be posting another thread telling more about this place and where it.

post-31987-143138959756_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138959767_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138959777_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138959787_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138959797_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138959806_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138959816_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138959826_thumb.jpg

That '58 Ford is my choice. It's either a Ranch Wagon or a sedan delivery. In college I delivered laundry in the delivery. It only had a front seat with a flat floor behind it.

The first items are a belt-driven pump or pump jack.

The paddle wheel is, indeed, a water power wheel.

The portholes are '51 Buick.

The first picture is a puzzler. You will need to clear away the dirt and leaves and get a better look. May be what is left of a heavy duty hydraulic jack or compressed air powered jack or bay lift.

Second pic, flywheel off some kind of machine possibly farm machinery.

Third, blades off a fanning mill. Could be off the same machine as the flywheel.

Fourth, looks like a carbide acetylene generator used for welding. Last made during WW2 at least I have never seen a newer one.

Very nice find. I'd be extremely interested to know where this is as I live a little north of Atlanta. I know of a place off 365 on the way to Demorest that I've passed before. You can see a bunch of school buses from 365.

Very nice find. I'd be extremely interested to know where this is as I live a little north of Atlanta. I know of a place off 365 on the way to Demorest that I've passed before. You can see a bunch of school buses from 365.

It's on Hwy 115. the address is 815 Hwy 115 Demorest GA. Call Jansen at 706 768 2473 they're there most every day but call before you go. Tell Jansen Lamar, the Buick nut, sent ya.

The first picture is a puzzler. You will need to clear away the dirt and leaves and get a better look. May be what is left of a heavy duty hydraulic jack or compressed air powered jack or bay lift.

Second pic, flywheel off some kind of machine possibly farm machinery.

Third, blades off a fanning mill. Could be off the same machine as the flywheel.

Fourth, looks like a carbide acetylene generator used for welding. Last made during WW2 at least I have never seen a newer one.

What is a fanning mill? and I'd like to hear more about how the acetylene generator worked.:)

post-31987-143138960759_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138960775_thumb.jpg

If the third pic down has a backing plate its from a "trim motor" its function is to pull paper into a blower, chop it up and discharge. Its not old or valuable..

A fanning mill is a blower use for separating chaff off of grain and similar tasks. An acetylene generator was used to make acetylene gas for welding. You put in calcium carbide and water. The water drips on the carbide, or the carbide drops into the water, and releases acetylene gas. These were never very satisfactory or reliable and they were apt to blow up in the wrong hands even when new.

That Westinghouse thing is probably railroad air-brake related.

You didn't see any no-shoulders around there, didja Lamar? That's what unnerves me poking around an old junkyard in the spring and summer, is the possibility of running up on a moccasin. Wastses I can handle, a can of bee-bopper will calm them right down, but something about a critter that slithers on its belly...

That Westinghouse thing is probably railroad air-brake related.

You didn't see any no-shoulders around there, didja Lamar? That's what unnerves me poking around an old junkyard in the spring and summer, is the possibility of running up on a moccasin. Wastses I can handle, a can of bee-bopper will calm them right down, but something about a critter that slithers on its belly...

I agree, It is an air brake system. The electromagnets were connected to the emergency stop system. If the power was lost, the brake would come on and stop a runaway car. Sort of like a Spring Brake in a Modern Truck with air brakes. I wonder if the Fan was used in a cotton jenny. Dandy Dave!

A train emergency brake eh. That's sorta kool I guess. At least I bet I'm the only person on the block that has one in their back yard. I just like rusty stuff and there has been some cool stuff to come out of that yard. But it's quickly being hauled off and crushed. :(

Dave, I thought you'd at least inquire about that Gravely in the picture of the fan. :)

thanks for all the input guys, it was fun to hear. :)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

A train emergency brake eh. That's sorta kool I guess. At least I bet I'm the only person on the block that has one in their back yard. I just like rusty stuff and there has been some cool stuff to come out of that yard. But it's quickly being hauled off and crushed. :(

Dave, I thought you'd at least inquire about that Gravely in the picture of the fan. :)

I would still like to know about those Dodge Truck Doors and other parts on that junker we talked about...Or have they smashed it already??? Dandy Dave!

Obviously your wife is more understanding than mine.