Need some advice

TKelly

Hey guys,

I'm in need of some advice, I'm 16 work full time as a plant mechanic apprentice and have been working for 5 months so I have a little bit of money behind me but far from a lot. Originally I set out to buy a modern car and modify it quite extensively however I've had a change of heart. My mate bought a 1928 Plymouth Q and ever since I've been helping him out with that I've realized how much more I would prefer putting my hard earned into a vintage car rather than a modern car which I will get rid of in a few years. Here's where I need some outside perspectives I don't know whether I should invest in a vintage car now and start working on it and save for my car in the mean time or buy a car first. Any and all help appreciated, Tristan.

P.S. Not sure of the laws over there but here I cant drive to work until I'm 18.

I say go for it. If you can afford it, or have the skills to work on a fix-eruperer you can start on a passion that most people wait until midlife to take up.

Keep in mind that you are going to need somewhere to keep the thing and work on it. On the street is not really an option. I say this because I'm guessing you are still at home being 16, (forgive me if you are not), and over the next decade there is a pretty good chance you will move out sooner or later and do the rental thing.

I still say go for it!

T, I was 17 when I got my first antique vehicle,much to the shagrin of my dear old dad! I had always wanted a Model A Ford and one day I found a pretty much junk one close to my home. Got it for free but didn't get much encouragement from my family and friends! Took 10 yrs. and alot of cash to restore it! You can start any hobby at any age,but remember that real life takes first place. You need to finish your education(if you haven't already done so) ,get a job ,a good everyday vehicle and get established before expending a lot of time and money on hobbies. At 16 ,God willing, you will have plenty of time for old cars. In the meantime do some studying on the type of vehicle you would like,get familiar with some parts suppliers ,join a local car club(great places for information and help) and you'll be ready when the time comes! Good Luck! Jim

Thanks for the replies guys,

Dodgy6, yes I am still living at home got a shed I could store it in but then I've got to find a place for our stationary engines which isn't a big deal

Jpage, finished my schooling (sort of I dropped out after year 10) now doing my apprenticeship full time

Gundog99, A Plymouth U would be alright but over here they are far from common and what i got would all depend on what is available and the right price

Cheers, Tristan.

Hi there Tristan. First, I like your status : "not your typical teenager" . That is so refreshing to hear. A fair time ago, I was just like you and bought my first vintage car. Just like Jim Page, my Dad took a dim view of my old Ford - a 'sit up and beg' , if you know what I mean. That car was quite reasonable but Dad said he didn't want "that thing" on his drive. At the time, I thought he was being snobbish but years later I learned that he just didn't want it in the way and have to keep moving it! Sadly, I had to sell that car but it had polished up so well that I made quite a profit!

At 17, I passed my driving test in another old Ford which I sold for another tidy profit and each time I bought and sold a car, I made a bit of money so that eventually, I could afford something that would impress the crumpet!

I am fascinated that you are considering an American car, because they generally cost quite a bit more to run than say a smaller, British vintage or classic car. My own car is an Australian bodied 1926 Dodge Brothers tourer, but I also have other cars, including an Austin Seven Swallow. While an Austin Seven may be cheap, it's a bit too small, if you get my drift.

You can use a vintage car every day; that's what I did, but don't take on too big a restoration project because it will take years to do and in the end cost more than the car is worth.

Let us know what you think you will be able to do; I am certain there are many readers of this forum who will be interested in your plans.

best of luck,

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

My advice would be to buy a vintage car that you can drive, something old is going to be tough maybe getting parts for when they are needed so consider what you buy and the costs and downtime to repair when need be.

Aint no good buying and every day driver if its sittin in the hole for 3 weeks because parts are not avail.

At age 17 I had gone thru three cars and I didnt even have a license yet, didnt matter because none of them hit the road until the wrecker come to haul them away. I was good at taking stuff apart but finding the money to restore what I had taken apart and get it back on the car was a whole different story.

Youve got plenty of time to restore cars and have play-toys, now while you are young though is the time to do the right steps to make sure you can afford a hobby such as antique cars later on.

BTW I dropped out in the begginiing of my 10 year and 7-9 grade I rarely ever made it to school in more ways than one so in my opinion an education may be imprtant to some its not neccessary to be successfull in life. Hard work is what is neccessary ( says the man that cant spell ) and determination.

Military is a good option as well.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Some good points made here.. Keep in mind that unless you can afford to buy something decent and drivable as-is, a restoration can take a bloody long time. It will be difficult to use as every day transportation if it is almost 'worn out'. The advantage certainly would go to a Ford Model A from a parts availability perspective; at least here it would (oops; I said the F-word). I think it would also depend on the type of roads you will typically drive. A late 20's era car cannot accelerate, corner or stop like modern ones. Are there other more numerous brands to consider? I don't want to sound too Ameri-centric.

Hey guys I think there is a bit of confusion which is my fault if I buy a vintage car it is not to use as a daily driver I will save up for a modern car but I will have the vintage car to do up in the mean time.

Cheers, Tristan.

I see, well than have some fun and buy what interests you most regardless of parts problems and above all have fun and get ready to learn things

Jason, thanks for your input the hardest part is finding a car I like for a price I like!

Also Mum rekons I'm better buying a modern car because she thinks that if I buy a project I wont ever save enough for a car I can use for transport. What are everyones thoughts? I would think that it is very possible but I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to car resto's.

Cheers, Tristan.

Jason, thanks for your input the hardest part is finding a car I like for a price I like!

Also Mum rekons I'm better buying a modern car because she thinks that if I buy a project I wont ever save enough for a car I can use for transport. What are everyones thoughts? I would think that it is very possible but I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to car resto's.

Cheers, Tristan.

Always worth listening to mum. ;)

However, us being males, are never happy unless we have at least one more project than we can afford or have time for!

Experience? We all start with none. We jump in at the deep end and sink or swim. Most times, passion is what get you to the finished product. Old cars are a great place to start. Apart from the problem of parts, they really are alot simpler than todays cars.

It's only metal - we can out-think it...

Cheers, Tristan.

Chances are shes right, ( if your like me ) all depends on how you are able to control yourself and prioritize things. I had no control and still have very little

I agree with your mum. Many young people start rebuilding a car but loose interest, especially when a girl comes along. When I was your age, I had the benefit of a father and older brother who were both heavily involved in rebuilding old cars. They talked me into an old car but a daily driver. In the day a seventenn year old Chrysler Royal. I loved it and also rebuilt it as I drove it. Great fun and the best of both worlds.

In Australia, the 60's and 70's Mopars are the flavour of the decade. There is also a glut of early Mustangs on the market that aren't selling, so a bargain maybe available.

The other thing to do is pick up a copy of Just Cars. (or go online) Have a look for cars in your price range and see what you fancy.

Laurie

Edited by lozrocks (see edit history)

If you can get hold of an early pony car for little money, you will be achieving something that's for sure.

My only question is can you afford the petrol and insurance for a Mustang? If you can, go for it - you will be favourite with the girls !

ray

Hey guys, a Mustang is far too modern whatever i get will fit into the years of 1920-29. Thanks once again for all your tips, advice and sharing your experiences however I'm still not decided on which route I will take.

Cheers, Tristan.

If you're passionate about an old car I say go for it. I bought my '29 Dodge when I was 15 and didn't have a license. As far as parts go a lot of things I could find much easier at swap meets years ago, now you find things on the internet (incl this forum) in a different yet sometimes easier way. When my car was out of commission at times I rode my bike where I needed to go. For me there was nothing better than to get up early on a day off and work on my car or to drive it...driving something like that '29 Plymouth is a totally different experience than driving a later model. Good luck w/ your decision.

My two cents worth... Find something you want and go for it!

I started looking for an old (1920's-30's) car before I had my license. I had actually put down money ($25.00) on a 1929 Willys Knight that was about 3 hours away in British Columbia Canada. My Dad and I were all set to go get it when it became a real hassle (at least to him) to get a trailer rented and get the car back across the border. In my frustration I grabbed the newspaper and found someone selling a 1965 Buick convertible for $200.00. Went and looked at it and bought it. That was about 35 years ago and I still have that car (now my son wants’ to fix it back up and use it his senior year). By the time I was 22 or 23 I had owned a 1930 Model A, a 1957 Caddy and a 1927 DB. Still have the 27 DB, but the model A and Caddy are long gone, never really did anything to them, but they were good deals so I never lost money on them, just time! Over time I have added to the collection, with another 28 DB, 64 Buick and a 48 Pontiac. Again all good deals and they are just waiting for me to retire so I can work on them.

I was (and still am) one of those guys that had no experience, but just jumped into it. I always figure that if someone put it together once and it it worked I can figure out how to fix it. I've always looked at this car thing as my way of relaxing (at least most of the time), plus it keeps me out of the bars! I always get great satisfaction in taking something that was run down or broken and making it look and operate like new.

I guess what I am saying is that if you find something you like, go for it. If down the line circumstances change you can always sell it. The worst case scenario is that it's a learning experience.

Edited by Jim Anselmo (see edit history)

Thanks again for all the input guys I really appreciate it. I've decided I'll take the plunge and get one my biggest problem is I don't know where I will find one, anyone here know of any places? (aside from just cars and ebay)

Cheers, Tristan.

Join a local car club maybe of a make that interests you, would be nice if it were D.B. Members always know of cars floating around and if you attend a few get-togethers show them what your all about like youve done here than I bet youll have more than one very fair offer for something.

One more bit of advice maybe ;) and that would be to get something early, maybe earlier the better within the range you are considering, Id like to see you buy a 29/30 DA so I have something to talk about but the earlier 4 cyl cars are sooo much more less complicated and less parts to restore, just something to consider, have fun!

Hey Jason I have joined a local car club that does all makes before 1942. I'm thinking of getting the editor (1 of about 3 people I know in the club) to put a wanted ad in the club newsletter. Also I'm not after a particular make/model there are a few I refuse to buy which is anything Ford anything that's a soft top and anything that's a ute.

Cheers, Tristan.

Thanks Jason means a lot.

Ray I was waiting for someone to pick up on that I will eventually but the roadster is my avatar because my uncle owns one and I'm helping him a bit when I'm up at his place. It has sentimental value in the fact that it has been in my life since I was born and now I'm at the stage where I'm pushing him and motivating him to finishing it.

Cheers, Tristan.

Say Tristran, if you don't like 'soft tops', perhaps you want to change your avatar?

Ray

I think he was looking at an early 20s D.B some time ago and that was the car. I am wondering what happened with that car?

If you are buying on a tight budget,Dodge 4's are fairly easy to find in Australia, with plenty of second hand parts to be had at swap meets; but I still think that a young driver needs a car with good four wheel brakes , something that cannot be said of Dodge 4's (the "Fast Fours"being an exception)