Torque tube separation from torque ball

WillBilly53

Is there a trick to separating the torque tube from the torque ball? I'm trying to redo the seal. I've done like the manual says in order to pull the rear axle assembly: disconnected the rear springs, shock links at the absorber arms, parking brake cable, etc. I've remove the bolts at the torque tube, but it still won't roll out. Any ideas?

edit: and yes, the back end of the car itself is securely on jacks.

Edited by WillBilly53 (see edit history)

If you have it all disconnected, then you'll just need to pursuade it out. maybe a come-along pulling on the rear end? When I did mine, I didn't have a come-aong, so I just made sure the car was supported well and I got under it and kicked at the rear end to roll it out. Not too smart, but we've all gotta go sometime!

When you go to put it together, I was able to just get the splines started only, and I had to use long bolts on the torque ball cap to draw it in a little at a time.

When you go to put it together, I was able to just get the splines started only, and I had to use long bolts on the torque ball cap to draw it in a little at a time.

I am glad to see I am not the only one who had these issues. I used a ratchet strap to do mine. It was a bear to do though.

If it's anything like my '41 Century, there are SIX bolts, not five, holding the tube to the ball flange. There are five in a symmetrical star pattern that look like they should be all of them, but there was a sixth at 12 o'clock high that I missed because of all the gunk and poor visibility (and because common sense says there shouldn't be a bolt there). I pounded, pulled, and even tried prying it apart thinking it was merely stuck. Then I found that sixth bolt and voila! It separated effortlessly.

Double check!

Will,

Are the tires on the ground or do you have the axle housing jacked up with a floor jack? Tires should be off the ground. I had some one pull back on the floor jack while I seperated it from the flange, then it slide back with no problem.

Will

You did not mention the panhard bar...that needs to be removed also. Sometimes you have to loosen the bolts that hold th outer torque ball retainer. With the car on sturdy jack stands, support the rear with a floor jack so that it is not just hanging and binding in the X part of the frame. If you pull, pull from the frame at the rear of the car, not the bumper of a truck parked behind (you can pull it off the jack stands). I use an old bumper jack to push: wrap a short section of chain around the front of the torque tube where the strut rods attach and attach the bumper hook to that; the other(lower end) is placed in the pocket of the X frame (without the base plate).

The whole rear will not roll out with the tires on...roll on the brake drums or just bare rims. You may have to have something to roll on.

Think and plan ahead for an hour for every minute you actually do something and you will get it. Good luck -- Willie

thanks for the tips everyone. the panbar was the first thing I released, so we're good there. the wheels are off the ground, with the floor jack underneath the differential housing. It sounds like I might need to jack it up a little further though. gonna chew on some gum and reread these comments before I go back out there.

One last question :) which way does the seal go? The one I pulled off the u joint was in great condition and had the tapered end facing the rear end. This seems backwards to me and just wanted to check before I put it all back together.

Will

The lip of the seal always goes toward what you are sealing, in this case to the front. Check the sleeve that the seal rides on to be sure there are no big grooves or your new seal will soon fail.

Willie

Will

The lip of the seal always goes toward what you are sealing, in this case to the front. Check the sleeve that the seal rides on to be sure there are no big grooves or your new seal will soon fail.

Willie

Willie,

What can be done if there is a groove in the sleeve? Is there a replacement sleeve available?

Guest Mike Hanning

Rick,

You can restore the seal position easily. Measure the diameter of the sleeve that the seal lip runs on then go to your local bearing or oil seal shop and buy a piece of kit called a "Speedi Sleeve" to suit that size, the rest is simple as it comes with fitting instructions.

Mike Hanning

Christchurch

New Zealand. BCA #40630

Okay, I'm a bit confused with the parts book and what I'm seeing underneath the car. I'm posting some photos. The close up of the seal is what I pulled off the u joint. When I examine the end of the shaft (the other photo) I see what I think is the sleeve but also what looks to be an outer sleeve? Or is that the bushing? Basically where the heck do I install the new seal? Is it supposed to be pressed on to the end of the propeller shaft or do I put on the u joint? Like I said when everything pulled apart, the seal that was there was on the u joint and it basically just slid off.

post-31222-14313892445_thumb.jpg

post-31222-143138924455_thumb.jpg

Looks like the original 1953 seal is still on the shaft. The seal that you are holding in your hand looks like a replacement seal, but I cant figure out where it could have been installed at. There should not be a seal that I am aware of other than the shaft seal.

post-80012-143138924487_thumb.jpg

The seal IS in its place. If you look at your second picture, it is the round piece touching the torque tube. The bushing is the piece next to the driveshaft. You should not have had an additional seal in there. You should pry out the one in there now, then install the new one with the lip facing the trans. (the opposite of how it is now)

Install it with pookie between outer edge and torque tube.

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

thanks ya'll. that all makes sense. it was definitely confusing me with what I was seeing. maybe the previous owner's attempt at getting this thing on the road? Who knows, but ya'll clarified the situation, thank you. (and thanks Rick for the emails with the diagramatic photos)

How in the heck do you drive the new seal squarely? I've been fooling with this for over an hour. Been lightly tapping criss cross but the opposite im tapping on inevitably pops back out. The top area is pretty hard to even get to because of the lack of clearance from the body. I've used various blocks of wood, curved tools and even the old seal on top -all with the same result.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the same boat...I can't separate the torque tube from the torque ball... I have the whole rear of the car disassembled, I was replacing an old leaky gas tank and once I was there, I got new shocks, springs, re-did the brakes, primed and POR15ed anything I could, which was a lot... I am taking a brake as I haven't eaten anything since 9 am and even my shadow pisses me of right now... I used straps, put the guide pins in, but can not get it to move... I used a rubber mallet with no success. Is it ok if I use a propane torch? Don't know what else to do. Have read 20 or so pages here but still... Inclinometer shows level, car is level, what am I missing?

Someone has been there before me, the torque ball is a two piece metal bowl with a loose rubber ring... it was bulging towards the bottom. I think I will call it a day...

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4801.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

$@#^%$# shiner bock time...

Heck yeah, buddy.

BTW, that silver color on the torque ball retainer means it is a reproduction. Send that to Bob's and have him revulcanize with the proper rubber. The reproductions are incompatible with trans fluid. (I know, crazy)

uuu.jpg

Does the inner retainer need to come off too? It seems whoever did this used some sort of glue and it is is not coming off...

It is best to get it off, that way you know what you got. I use an old butcher knife and tap between the retainer and the tranny flange; heat will help, but I hate using flames under a car. However if it is that tight and not leaking at that location you could probably leave it there. That outer torque ball retainer is from CARS (the silver plate is the clue). Mine did the same thing --- right before traveling to a National meet --- in July --- in Texas --- not enough Shiner Bock. Do not buy that part from CARS; it is junk! And remember that before the forum moderators slap me down again. (good boys don't bad-mouth vendors)

Willie

tttt.jpg

It is off. Almost half a quart of fluid drained... which now makes ask this: I can see the roller bearing, then there is a rubber seal about half inch away from the bearing. Is the fluid supposed to lubricate just the bearing and stop at the rubber seal, or the universal u-joint too and stop at the inner retainer/outer torque ball? In other words, at which point does the fluid supposed to stop and where does the dry axle begin? At that inner seal past the bearing or at the vulcanized torque ball seal?

tttt.jpg

It is off. Almost half a quart of fluid drained... which now makes ask this: I can see the roller bearing, then there is a rubber seal about half inch away from the bearing. Is the fluid supposed to lubricate just the bearing and stop at the rubber seal, or the universal u-joint too and stop at the inner retainer/outer torque ball? In other words, at which point does the fluid supposed to stop and where does the dry axle begin? At that inner seal past the bearing or at the vulcanized torque ball seal?

It is normal for fluid to be in that location. The universal in 55 is lubricated by drilled passages in special bolt that attaches the universal. The 55 does not have a bearing or seal at that location. The sealing is at the outer torque ball retainer, gaskets at the inner and outer retainer, torque ball to torque tube gasket, and the seal in the front of the torque tube.

Willie

photo8.jpg

photofr.jpg

Lots of silicone... I am going to clean it, inspect the shaft and put it together. Should I use liquid gasket, even though from what I read a gasket is not required?

I ordered a kit from Bob's and until it gets here all I am doing today is scrapping 56 year old crap...

fdfd.jpg