Cost to ship wheels

pint4

I am looking at a set of 6 steel wheels that are located in Colorado. The issue is the freight cost to ship the wheels from Colorado to Wisconsin. Does anyone have any insight as to least expensive way to ship wheels around the country?

Thanks,

Bob

Guest Water Jacket

58Must is right. I shipped a Packard rear fender Greyhound ages ago. Best price, unless a friend owns a freight company.

Guest Jim_Edwards

If you know the weight of the wheels, why don't you just call UPS, FedEx, Greyhound, etc.; and get their quotes. Might even find the rates on their web sites.

Guest Bob Call

Years ago I used to ship stuff by bus quite often. Large heavy boxs, odd shaped stuff, etc. Inexpensive companred to a freight company. It won't be overnight or next day but saves a lot of money. Down side is you have to take the stuff to the bus depot and and it has to be picked up at the bus depot. Boxes can be labeled or addressed with a permanent marker. On other stuff get the cardstock tags with wire ties so they can't be easily torn off. I would suggest two tags per item just in case. Like the wheels you want shipped, they won't need to be packaged, just tagged with the recipent's name and address.

About five years ago we shipped several fiberglass Legends racecar fenders to New York and Greyhound was the only one that would ship them for a reasonable price. And we didn't have to box them. All we had to do was put enough cardboard around them so that the packing tape & duct tape stuck to that and not the paint on the fenders and the cardboard gave us a place to put the address label.

We took photos of the "wrapped" fenders and e-mailed them to the buyer.

He took photos of them when they arrived.

They arrived in the same great shape in which they left.

We didn't have to worry about a few minor scuffs or scratches of the paint we had put on them because they buyer was going to repaint them in his car's colors. But they weren't scratched up.

We would use Greyhound again.

I am looking at a set of 6 steel wheels that are located in Colorado. The issue is the freight cost to ship the wheels from Colorado to Wisconsin. Does anyone have any insight as to least expensive way to ship wheels around the country?

Thanks,

Bob

I ship and recieve stuff all the time. Living in Wi. we have a regional shipping company called Speedee. Google Speedee and enter the zipcodes and maybe they ship from Co. to Wi. I know they go to North/South Dakota, Mn, Iowa, Il.

I also bought a pair of rims from two different yards [so I had a total of 4 rims] in North Carolina and they shipped them for free. [ 4 perfect rims for $150.00 and free freight, one of my better "deals"]

Last winter I bought a set of 4 rims from a yard in Mn and they charged me $10.00 a rim for freight. [ Rims were so cheap and I only needed them for snows that I didn't mind the freight charge].

I had a hood for my '58 truck shipped via Greyhound.

CA to OH for < $65 for an item too large to ship any other way.

DHL used to be the way to go just a few years ago, but sadly, no more. I shipped and received several bumpers and wheels through them.

I would second USPS Parcel Post as an option. May be cheaper than you think as long as the item is small enough, plus, they can use the work!

Try UShip.com

I have used them a few times (a couple time cheaper than I could do it). It's an auction based shipping service. Owned partially by eBay (yuk) but if you are lucky you may find somebody to do it as filler in a pickup for CHEAP. If you have time on your side, this is a good option.

Thanks for the great advice and tips to minimize the shipping costs for the wheels. Now I just need to do my homework and visit some of the sites mentioned and obtain some quotes. I appreciate the help. As always, lots of helpful persons, knowledge and experience on the forum.

Thanks,

Bob