Cunningham, A True Full Classic.

Dandy Dave

I'm at it again, this time it is a Model V-6 Cunningham. A very stunning, and well build automobile. The car is in good condition and I am helping the owner to get it back on the road after many years of sitting. We had to pull the rear fender and running boards off to replace a poorly repaired spare tire bracket. We have dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it, and I have also cleaned the carburetor and othe fuel system components. Lots of little things need to be done. Next, it will be onto the brakes which are hydraulic and need to be completely gone though as the car has sat for many years. What a Grand Automobile in every respect. :D More photos and details as things progress. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-14313884434_thumb.jpg

post-44142-14313884436_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138844377_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138844395_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138844411_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138844429_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138844446_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Dave:

Thanks for shareing. It is great to see annother of these wonderful cars going back on the road. Keep us posted on your progress. I have made the fatefull decision to send my 1937Buick out to get it back onthe road. If only I had that much space to work I may have gotten more done on mine! But here I am responding to this thread instead of getting the rear axle back on!

Good luck:

Larry DiBarry

Dandy Dave, It's been more than 5 years that I have been on Mike's back to get that thing up and running. I'm glad it finally got off the back burner. Did he tell you about the race we ran around Watkens Glen last summer? Three Pierce Arrows going balls out around the track three wide in places, but my trusty old V-12 would catch him in the corners, but on the flat his roaster and my sedan were dead even. Here's a photo. Ed

Notice the blue reflection of my car in the 32 Pierce coupe's radiator shell. That's three wide on the back stretch going all out. It sure was a big pucker factor going three wide into the corner with overheated brakes! Tell mike we should run the Cunningham against my V-12 to see who is "King of the Classics at the Glen." :eek:

post-31625-143138844547_thumb.jpg

Here a few shots before we started the race on the warm up lap. Notice my V-12 speedo is about 55 MPH and runs fine with one hand on the wheel. My top speed was about 68MPH on the track, as it takes a while to get 6500 punds wound up.... or down! The race was the talk of the tour for the rest of the week. We drive them like we stole them! Ed

post-31625-14313884455_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138844553_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138844556_thumb.jpg

post-31625-14313884456_thumb.jpg

Great Racin Roadsters! :eek: How can you guys drive at those death defying speeds??? :P The red Pierce is one I did a valve job on last year. Glad to hear that you had a hard time keeping up because it means I did a good job. :D

The Cunningham is a 1925. Dandy Dave!

This Cunningham has Timken hydraulic brakes. State of the art for 1925. It has been sitting for at least 12 + Years and I have dissasembled the units for cleaning. Interesting to note that the brake cylinders and master were sleeved with stainless by the last owner, but that did not completely stop the aluminum pistons from corroding and sticking. However, they did come apart easier than if they were still original iron. The wheel cylinders actuate the outer brake bands. The inner brakes on the rear axle are for the parking, and e-brake.

post-44142-143138852861_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138852865_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138852869_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138852872_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138852881_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138852885_thumb.jpg

The Master Cylinder and Reservoir. The Reservoir is mounted to the dash on the drivers side and feeds the Master via copper tubing. The master is under the drivers floorboard. The reservoir inlet is on the top and the fittings to the rear feed the left, and right side, respectively. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-14313885289_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138852893_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138852896_thumb.jpg

I've been working with the owner of this car about one day a week steering him in the right direction of how to get it on the road for the upcomming show season, and doing the mechanical stuff he is not comfortable doing. Stick around Jessica. I'll be posting more photos as we progress. I thought the brake system would be of special interest as this was at the very begining of hydraulic brake infancy. The basic idea has not changed all that much. In later years we went from a single stage master to a dual stage type that feeds the the front, and rear at different rates. Also, the rotor has better stopping ablilty than shoes, or bands. On average, 70 percent of braking power is in the front end of a modern automobile. In the Cunningham example, the braking power is equal all the way around as it has 1.5 inch cylinders on all wheels and is fed from the single stage master to the left and right. Also the bands are all the same size all the way around. Even in good road conditions it would be easier for the rear wheels to lock up and skid, while the front wheels would still be turning. Also, the bands are exposed and acceptable to picking up water and dirt on a wet and muddy road which would make it harder to stop the vehicle. It was not long before shoes were installed inside the drums which helped keep them dry. Dandy Dave!

Very interesting. Thank you for posting Dave. Even having brakes on the front wheels was uncommon in 1925, was it not? It would have been tricky to get mechanical front brakes to work with steering I guess.

Yes, It was. To put things in perspective. This Cunninham was $8,600 when new in 1925. A model T touring could be had for $290 the same year.

In 1919 a Hispano Suiza modle HB-6 had the first 4 wheel brakes operated by a single peddle.

Duesenburg had the First Hydraulic Brakes in 1922.

I would say the jump to hydaulic brakes in the 20's is like having OnStar in todays world. If someone steels your car, it can be tracked and be shut off when the police arrive on the scene, or while they are in hot pursuit. Nevermind all the other stuff that comes with it. Amazing Technology. Yup, it's getting to be a tough world for crooks. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Not sure, I can find out West. The fellow that owns it now is not the son of the previous owner. It was puchased from the owners wife who was in her 90's at the time. Her son was tinkering with it before the puchase. I'm not sure of a name. Dandy Dave!

• 2 weeks later...

The running board and splash apron is back on after replacing the tire carrier. We also bolted the body back down. It was a tough job to replace the tire carrier but it was well worth it. The owner has turned out to be very good help. He has all the brake parts cleaned up, painted, and ready for reassembly when a few more pieces arrive. Only thing is, he hands me all the "hard to get at" bolts with banged up threads. I get to pull out the taps and dies and straighten things out and wiggle them in where they belong. ;) Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143138877596_thumb.jpg

I am pretty sure this car belonged to BC Hartline in Akron OH. He had more than one Cunningham. All the cars are long since gone, but included Locomobiles, Pierce Arrows, Cunninghams, 2 Duesenburgs, a McFarlan, 2 Northerns and a Model T. I used to ride my bike there to shine brass.

Bob McAnlis

I am pretty sure this car belonged to BC Hartline in Akron OH. He had more than one Cunningham. All the cars are long since gone, but included Locomobiles, Pierce Arrows, Cunninghams, 2 Duesenburgs, a McFarlan, 2 Northerns and a Model T. I used to ride my bike there to shine brass.

Bob McAnlis

Bob, you hit the nail on the head. :D Dandy Dave!

• 1 month later...

Back at the Cunninham. The brake hoses finally arrived. I reassemble the front wheel cylinders and installed the brake drum and brake band. She will not make Rhinebeck this year as getting the hoses took a while to get and other things were going on so we did not get to work at it as much as the owner liked. He has done a lot of cleaning on the car and it is really looking nice. Shooting for Saratoga for the Hemmings Concours Meet. :cool: Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143138951103_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138951107_thumb.jpg

post-44142-14313895111_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138951113_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hey Gang. If the weather is fair this Cunningham will be at the Rhinebeck NY Meet next on Sunday May 5th. We finally got the car off of the jack stands today and drove it around for a bit. Talk about a Road Locomotive. :cool: Dandy Dave!

After many hours of overcomming problems we have Triumphed. This classic Cunninham will be at Rhinebeck NY this weekend, (Attending Sunday.) if the weather man has not lied to us. It is suppose to be a Glorious and beautiful sunshiny day. True Classic Car lovers be prepared to be dazzled. The owner has polished and has done some finishing details. I have done my patriotic duty and made it run like It should. (And Stop might I add.) What a Fabulous Automobile. In the photo at this beauty's side is Dandy Dave at you service. These cars are like family. Once you work on one and become one with it, and it is not soon forgotton. There is a bond between mechanic and machine that is not easy to explain to anyone that does not share the gift. On a lesser note, The Chartruse Lady, the most famous Buick of all, will also attend, (Will be hanging around the Buick Gang by the Stage.) Weather permitting. See ya there, or be square. ;) Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143141883011_thumb.jpg