Got my AACA magazine - great Tom Mix articles ....

Trulyvintage

Well ...

On the road in Oklahoma on my way to drop off a nice Ford

in Long Beach, CA bound for Japan ..... ;)

Stopped by & checked mail yesterday on my way out ...

Another killer AACA magazine .....

Kudos to the staff - great writing and photographs

What a great couple articles on Tom Mix .... :D

Jim

post-56761-14313881309_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Great issue, and kudos to the owner of the Tom Mix Cord for restoring it as Mix configured it, that way it stands out in the Cord crowd! Those quad bumperettes front and back are a little wild, buy hey, so was Mix!

The AACA magazine is excellent for sure....

Steve_Mack...Thanks for the kind words on the Mustang. The car was in great shape to start with when I bought in in 1996. It kind of "got out of hand" in the restoration process. There surely aren't many 6 cylinder Mustangs being show at the National level.

Its been a great car and I drive it 1000 - 1500 miles per year.

Thanks also to West for the great photography and for including it in the magazine.

Kevin

Great issue, and kudos to the owner of the Tom Mix Cord for restoring it as Mix configured it, that way it stands out in the Cord crowd! Those quad bumperettes front and back are a little wild, buy hey, so was Mix!

The AACA magazine is excellent for sure....

I just read the Tom Mix Cord article and loved it but had a question - in the double page side view photo plus the 3/4 front view shown there is something which appears to be hanging very low under the car plus what looks like low hanging exhaust pipes, what is that and is that normal?

It appears to me that the car's rear springs may be arched a little too tight, which is raising the body to a point where the piece you see hanging from the center (I don't know what it is) appears more than normal. The exhaust pipe looks like it's hanging too low in the front. The car was fresh out of the restoration shop when we photographed it (one of the most notable Cord restorers in the country), and it was heading back there for some "fine tuning" of items.

My first guess was that it's the battery box, but it looks too far forward for that, unless they've moved it to a location under the front floor pan. The original battery position is under the driver's seat.

The seat cushion has metal springs that are in a metal framework, also along the bottom of the cushion. There's a story at one of the restoration shops (I won't mention White Post) that they'd put the wrong battery in one of the Cords there, too tall, and when test driver sat in it, started smelling smoke, the framework had shorted the battery and set the cushion on fire!

There's also a radio aerial assembly that hangs under the car, but it's long, and not the box that shows in the pictures.

Guest Skyking

I liked Steve's article "Souly Business" about the Hartung's auction in Glenview Il. So much stuff in one area. Would have loved to been there.

It's not clear why the pipe is hanging down underneath in the center-spread side view, perhaps a temporary rig, it's one of those various things that will need to be sorted out in any new restoration. Cords have mud flaps hanging down inside the rear of the front fenders right about where the squarish looking thingy is seen, but they look much thinner from the side view. So, ? The battery in Cords does show a very slight amount below the rocker near rhe center of the door when viewed horizontally at rocker level, but not as much as seen in the side view. The box may have been modified for a taller battery. (and to avoid setting the seat on fire.....)

Guest Dick Whittington

West needs a big round of applause! Every issue just gets better. I have been reading Antique Automobile since the mid '70s.