1931 Marmon V16 Convertible Coupe by LeBaron

It appears that I'm on a Marmon jag latey, although this one comes from a different collection. It's a stunning 1931 Marmon V16, #22 of 22 LeBaron convertible coupes built, and one of only a handful known to still exist.

This is the well-known "Hamilton" car that was purchased new by a young Yale student whose father owned Century Electric in St. Louis. His father, alarmed by the whopping $5200 spent on the flashy Marmon, forced the sale of the car to James E. Hamilton, an electrical engineer at the factory, who was able to purchase it for about half the original price. Mr. Hamilton drove the car well into the '50s, when his son forbade him from driving due to one too many accidents. The Marmon was unceremoniously shuttled into a barn and forgotten. Sometime in the 1980s, after the senior Hamilton's passing, the car was rediscovered by his grandson, who found that the barn floor had collapsed and the big Marmon was sitting on its frame rails on the floor joists. The car was extracted and sent to Walter Reynolds' restoration shop in Indianapolis, where it sat for more than a decade. After twelve years of pursing the car, it was acquired by noted collector and restorer Phil Bray, who completed the comprehensive frame-off restoration to its current spectacular condition, and it debuted in the year 2000. I've spoken to Phil about the car, and he says it is the best running Marmon V16 he's ever driven (and he's owned more than a few).

This is one of those rare machines that I can honestly call a #1 vehicle. It shows only very light signs of use, and after a Saturday afternoon with a rag and some light cleaning underneath, it could be ready for the concours show field once again. The finish is actually a very light teal green, with a contrasting green leather interior, a color combination chosen by Mrs. Bray and former GM designer Dave Holls, a subtle, elegant answer to all the garish high-fashion restorations you often see on these cars. The workmanship is, of course, first-rate, and it has won both its AACA senior and CCCA national first prize awards, including a perfect 100-point score in CCCA national competition.

The 491 cubic inch V16 engine was fully rebuilt and runs beautifully. I have personally driven this car, and can comment that it starts instantly, idles smoothly (but not silently, this one doesn't want to sneak around), and pulls like a freight train. Although it is massive, handling and braking are light, it's easy to maneuver on city streets and it never feels as big as its 145-inch wheelbase would suggest. You can also pretty much ignore the gearshift, with mountainous torque available at almost any speed above a crawl. Never having driven a Duesenberg J, I can't comment on its relative acceleration, but never have I felt a push of torque like this in something that wasn't diesel powered. It is very, very impressive.

Yes, it's expensive, but it's also about half the price of a Duesenberg J Murphy convertible coupe, of which there are quite a few more examples in existence. Unquestionably an A-list celebrity car that's welcome at any event in the world.

Wow!

post-31138-14313880938_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138809384_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138809387_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14313880939_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138809393_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138809395_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138809398_thumb.jpg

post-31138-1431388094_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138809402_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138809405_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
typo (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

That's a beautiful Marmon, Matt.

Don't feel sheepish about asking anyone for a price, Mr. TexRiv63! I know one avid car collector who has a great collection and who undoubtedly has a 8-figure income; when I told him about one interesting car for sale, the first thing he said was, "What's he asking for it?"

So the notion that "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" is invalid. You might find the car really IS a possibility for you.

And by the way, the '57 Lincoln in your picture looks like a neat car!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Correct me if I am wrong... the posting rules state , price and location must be in listing. I feel this would be only fair if its the rule and a comercial for profit company is using this format for listing at no cost.

If you look at all my other listings, I typically DO include the prices, but this is the kind of car where if you have to ask, well, you know how the saying goes. :) However, the price is listed on our website. It's not a secret.

However, often times on high-dollar listings, the threads here meander into discussions about how expensive the hobby is getting, people with axes to grind against dealers feel it's OK let out all their venom, the cars get nit-picked to death, and threads are often get deleted when things get heated, so I was trying to avoid all that. I don't want to be a lightning rod.

I've also found that at this level, the guys who buy the cars often don't want people knowing how much they paid, and I have to respect that.

That said, the list price is $549,900. It's a truly wonderful car!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

That's a beautiful Marmon, Matt.

Don't feel sheepish about asking anyone for a price, Mr. TexRiv63! I know one avid car collector who has a great collection and who undoubtedly has a 8-figure income; when I told him about one interesting car for sale, the first thing he said was, "What's he asking for it?"

So the notion that "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" is invalid. You might find the car really IS a possibility for you.

And by the way, the '57 Lincoln in your picture looks like a neat car!

John,

No sheepishness involved. Like many others on this forum I don't like listings without a price but I was asking in a friendly way. And now that we know the price my comment is VERY valid!

Matt, as usual, your postings are excellent, and I get the reason you left the price tag off this particular ad. I would love to see a rule added here that prohibits the all to common practice of complaining if one thinks the price is too high. Happens for a variety of reasons and puts the seller in the uncomfortable position of either defending or ignoring the jabs. A seriously interested party will question the price in the form of a PM, email or telephone inquiry. Most of the others either just don't want to believe it or feel the need to tell the world what they think you should be selling for. As a follow up to your post on "do people think you are rich if you have an old car" - well, it is a pretty inclusive hobby, but let's face it, parts of the hobby are very expensive.

I guess the comment on commercial listings could be valid, but here is my opinion on that, FWIW. I for one, would prefer all actual cars listed on one section - makes it a lot easier, and one can easily skip over a commercial seller. Also, the handful of regulars here who happen to be in the business contribute a lot to the forum in general. I think, if a seller is part of our community and does not overstay their welcome, they should not be penalized for their line of work, either. Our excellent moderators already seem to have that down already, but supporting the approach can't hurt. Sorry, just my 2 cents for moderators more than Matt...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I do indeed try to respect that this is a free forum, and you won't see me spamming ads anywhere on the site. I list the car once, and never do a "btt" post unless it's to add more information or change the price. I don't list every car we have, but pick and choose those that I feel best represent the ideals of the AACA, and if we have a car that I don't feel is up to most folks' standards (or if it would be a target for fact-checkers), I don't post it. I'm unerringly honest in my dealings with all my customers, but especially so here on this forum, because I have a reputation here and put my own name on every single post. Many of you have known me through this forum for more than a decade, and I value this community of which I have become a part. I do not abuse it.

On this particular car, I had comments ranging from the positives above to one that said something akin to: "That interior looks like it is from a hot rod--totally incorrect. Center armrest? Yeah, right, not in 1931. It looks like that interior was done in Tijuana in the '50s. That car deserves a better interior." I try to stay out of the comments following an ad, except to answer a question, because there's no upside to me defending myself, my choice of words, or the car at that point. Also, the moderators here are outstanding.

Thanks for all the support guys. The Marmon is truly remarkable, and yes, I do believe they're under-valued, even at a half-million bucks. The future will tell if I'm right about that.

Edited by Matt Harwood
typo (see edit history)