Avanti Rescue

Well, 3 days with no Avanti fun - instead, there has been work, a birthday, a work seminar, more work, dental appointment. Geez! No time for the old rocket! I did get by the storage unit today to begin to address the loose front end fasteners. I got right to it (I can't drive it until I fix it!), jacking it up and removing the left front wheel. The disc brake rotor still looks nice, everything was still in its place, thankfully. I tried the upper left control arm shaft bolt. Loose. I tried the right side bolt (same one I checked the other day). Finger loose (!) I checked the bottom control arm shaft bolts - same thing, just not as loose (thank heaven for small favors). So I began tightening all of the bolts, first with a wrench, then I put the torque wrench to them. The upper left bolt tightened and tightened, so much so that I began to think the threads were stripping. Then it felt like it was tightening, then I felt something "give" and it wasn't so tight anymore. Great. So I backed it out and removed the bolt. That's when I saw that the control arm at that spot was not all the way seated, thus leaving a gap between the shaft and the bushing end. As I tightened the large washer was sinking into that gap, then finally broke the center out of the washer. Now I have a doughnut hole and a washer. (see pictures)

Oh boy! Have I told you how much fun this all can be?! I thought so. I worked on the other bolts - the bottom ones tightened up nicely and reached the torque of 65 lbs. with no problem. I worked on tightening the upper right side with just a wrench - the torque wrench won't fit in the tight spot. Yet. I have an idea for the next time I go to work on it - I'll turn the steering all the way to one side and see if that gets the reach rod out of the way. But the problem still remains - I need to get the control arm to seat fully on the shaft. I have a couple of ideas - one, I'll try the trick I learned while trying to install the king pin. I'll put the floor jack in different positions on the lower control arm, then jack it up some and see if the upper arm will flex into its spot. I'm also going to get a large heavy washer to use in place of the original one - just so I can put the bolt in, get some tension on things and give the control arm a couple of whacks with my shot filled hammer. Hopefully I'll get her to tighten down. Meanwhile, if I can't find a replacement washer, I'll get the old one welded. Gotta do what you gotta do!

As I was studying the whole thing I decided to see if the bolt that mount the control arm shafts to the frame were loose. Yep! Hey, why should all the other bolts have all the fun? So, I'll have to address those problem children too.

When I dropped the car off at the shop last April, I left a list of things I wanted done. I specifically noted that I had not torqued the front end bolts, as I wanted the mechanics to be able to "fine tune" everything, then torque all the bolts in conjunction with doing the alignment. I think the torquing of the bolts got "missed". I understand that some things need re-tightening after driving the car a bit, but I don't think if bolts are torqued to 55 and 65 lbs. that they will end up finger loose after several hundred miles. I've let my concerns be known to the shop owner - he tells me to bring the car in next week and they'll tighten things up. First I have to tighten things up before I can drive it there (I don't want to burn 150 bucks for a tow job). Besides, I'll sleep better knowing that I did it myself.

post-81474-143139286168_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139286182_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139286196_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313928621_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139286224_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139286238_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139286252_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139286266_thumb.jpg

Earlier today I snuck out a little early for lunch (shhh) and headed to the storage unit. I had just stuck the end bolt and wounded washer back in its spot on the control arm shaft, basically so I would know where it was and wouldn't lose it. After retrieving those I had a closer look at the control arm and shaft - it looks like the bushing was not completely seated but not that bad. I grabbed the shot filled hammer (a great acquisition, I tell you) and gave the bushing a few whacks. I didn't want to really go to town on it, as I didn't want to bend the control arm tab. After three or four whacks I had a look and it looked like the bushing had closed the gap on the shaft. There was still a quarter inch inside the bushing - basically a gap between the end of the shaft and where the large washer sits. That's what happened to the old washer, the center of the washer didn't have anything to seat against so the whole center broke through. Not sure if it was due to age and general crustiness, or if there is something missing there. A spacer??

Anyway, I headed out to the hardware store, where I picked up some new bolts, 3/8" with 24 thread count, some new lock washers, and a couple of large washers in the same diameter as the one that bought the farm yesterday. Not an original setup, but ya gotta make do sometimes. The next problem was that the center hole of the new large washer was too big, of course, so I had to get a smaller washer to "piggyback" and plug the hole, so to speak. I hate to do it that way, but I need to improvise for now, until I can get some type of original washer.

I headed back to the storage unit where I installed the new hardware and gingerly torqued the bolt. It took the torque with no trouble - it's a make-do type of situation for now. But, it turned out pretty good, I thought. After that I went around to all the nuts and bolts to tighten them - all were loose. Gosh, I'm astonished that that got by all the people who were working on the car. I can't imagine someone performing an alignment and not saying, "Gee, those bolts barely look snug there." It didn't happen, so here I was, on the floor of the storage unit, with my head lamp providing (barely) illumination, tightening the front end down. Good news is that the left side is done (the jury rigged washer assembly notwithstanding). Before I left the unit I ventured over to the right side to check out the situation, just in case someone with a wrench decided the bolts should be tightened (as requested). Nope. Just as loose as the left side was. Ha! Something else....

On a bright note - I received a text a couple of hours ago stating that there were "two large boxes in the driveway" with my name on them. Hmmm...looks like my order (or most of it) has arrived from Studebaker International!

post-81474-143139287111_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139287129_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139287148_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139287163_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139287179_thumb.jpg

Guest rocktown

Congratulations on the 1 year anniversary of "avanti rescue"! I come here everyday to see what you're up to and am never disappointed. What a long way you and "mighty-fast" have come. I look forward to reading about your avanti adventures and, as they used to say, Happy Motoring!

Hey rocktown, thanks for checking out what's happening with the rescue! It's gratifying to see progress on old Mightyfast - and you're right, she's come a long way from that misty night when she first arrived in her new Virginia home. What a trip it has been! And what a car I got - just a beautiful hard knocks ride with blistering acceleration. Wow! A total thrill to own and drive!

And the rescue continues - as I mentioned earlier there were two boxes waiting for me. When I got home I found the new headliner in one box and some assorted interior parts in the other box. The first picture below is the headliner box. The other box contains a pair of the rubber sill plates, a stainless sill trim piece, two door handles and two window cranks. And there is a bag 'o parts containing the various pieces for the door handles and window cranks, escutcheons, springs, etc. Also, a couple of interior light switches, mirror stem, sill screws. I think that's it for this delivery - also on the way are a carpet set and floor mats with the Avanti logo. So, looks like an interior refresh is coming up!

I'm hoping to bring the old rocket home for about 6 weeks or so and replace the rear window seal and do the interior refresh. I've already floated a "trial balloon" about having the beast downstairs and the balloon did not fall out of the sky with a thud, so I am hopeful that I'll have her here soon. Wish me luck!

post-81474-143139287396_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139287411_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139287427_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139287443_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139287457_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139287472_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, since the t-shirt is a "large" I would probably look like a sausage with arms and legs if I wore it :D. XX large is more my speed, allowing some room for shrinking. But that brings me to the idea I had today while tightening the front end nuts and bolts on the right side of the Avanti. As I was bending and stretching and pulling and pushing, reaching and turning while tightening everything, it came to me! I should do exercise videos - "Working on The Oldies!". Richard Simmons has "Sweating With The Oldies", well, I can have DVD's showing various exercises performed while working on cars. I could have a video for the Avanti, maybe head out to John Feser's and do a video with the Jag and the Buicks. Today, I was sitting on the floor of the storage unit with my legs under the car, my face against the brake rotor, my right hand on the torque wrench, and my left hand on a ratchet securing the nut on the other side of the torque wrench. That was an extreme exercise. Some of the other exercises today were, The Bend And Retrieve, of a wrench that fell under the car, the Squat and Tighten, of the lug nuts, the Stretch and Twist, finding a route to a nut that needed tightening. That's just a few of the fun exercises we all encounter while working on these old cars. Now, don't any of you guys steal my idea - or at least give me a cut!

So today was tighten the right side day. As I mentioned above, the nuts and bolts were all tightened and torqued - now I can drive with confidence that the front end won't fall out. After getting everything tight I got the old car ready to go out, even though the roads were damp from off and on rain. My first stop was the gas station, where I added some air to the tires. Then it was off to the open highway to see how bad the alignment was hurt. The car runs pretty much in a straight line on straight roadway - the only thing that indicates something not ok is the steering wheel being cocked a bit to the left. I'll have to get it over to the shop for an alignment, I suppose. First, I should get the correct washer on the control arm shaft and torque that down. Otherwise, it was a nice ride, damp roads meant we just rumbled along on the interstate. One annoying thing about the old car is the various squeals that I hear as driving. The front brakes squeal when coming to a stop at a light. The rear brakes squeal when applied while backing up. Those things are annoying, but understandable, but there is another squeal that bothers me, and that is a squeal that happens while driving. I have a feeling that I am going to have to add some shims to the right front caliper - I have a feeling that is what is causing the noise. Not sure what it could be if it is not that. Ah, these babies need a lot of attention, eh?

post-81474-143139289598_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139289616_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313928963_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139289645_thumb.jpg

Chris,

I've had simular thoughts on doing that type of an exercise video, that's funny. I also though that the punch line to the unidentified squeal being heard in the car while driving was going to turn out to be you when you put your foot into it. None the less I see that you're still haviing enough fun with it where it is still fun, that a great and one of the key reasons that I'm still reading/watching and enjoying your progress. Scott...

Pat - you're right, I just need to stick to the "Working on The Oldies" program and I'll be fitting into that t-shirt!

Scott - good to hear that you're still following what I'm doing - and the fact that you had the same idea about an exercise video just proves that great minds think alike!

Chris, part of this is a bit off the current subject, but at our Cruise-in Saturday night a fellow came up looking at my Anglia and immediately pulled out pictures of his Volvo P-1800 and started showing them. It was one of two convertibles ever made he said. New to me, never heard of one, but it looked nice ! And, the nice silver Avanti didn't show up this weekend, so no new pics of that. I like your video idea, mine would have been titled " How not to do stuff, subtitle: Complete with medical reports ", Ha ! Keep up the good work, John

Hehe - that's funny, John. We could have a whole series of videos - I like your idea of "How Not to Do Stuff", it could have a chapter (or several) entitled "Chris' D'oh! Moments" :D

I've never seen a P1800 convertible, either. I'm trying to envision what one might look like. I have a picture somewhere of a silver Avanti, though - I think it looks pretty cool!

Thanks for checking in from beautiful Hawaii, John!

12/12/12: One year ago today John and Alice Feser hauled my old Avanti to my house and put it in my way, so I would get to work on it. I thank them again for that.

One year later I'm still working on it - and it looks like forevermore I will be working on it. Which is not necessarily a bad thing - there are worse things I could be spending my time on!

Today, after a couple of days doing mundane things such as work, X-mas shopping, eating, sleeping, I returned to the Avanti to dive into another task I've been needing to do. I removed the driver's side door panel to lubricate the window regulator and associated mechanisms. Probably should have done that when I had the panel off before for cleaning, but I didn't. So there. It seems like, in recent weeks, that the window crank has gotten quite a bit more difficult to operate. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or the colder weather or what, but since I'm going to put a new crank and handle on each door I figured it would be the ideal time to get the regulators lubed. They need it.

I used some red bearing grease on the regulator and window guide track (not the one with felt, mind you, the one along the latch side of the door). I think I am going to change to white lithium grease for the rest of the project. I think the bearing grease is a good lube for it - it just smells a bit strong. So, I'll pick up some white lithium grease along with some sort of long, stiff but flexible object to use in applying the grease in the hard to reach places. Such as on the regulator gear teeth that only seem to be accessible from the topside, down into the door by the small vent window. After I applied the red grease to all the spots I could reach with tools on hand I cranked the window up and down several times. Much easier operation now, and I wasn't even able to get any grease on the regulator gear yet.

On the front end front (yep, I intended that word play), I heard from Alan Himes at the Avanti shop the other day and he told me to get the car in to him so he could check over the front end and get the alignment right again since I torqued everything. It was a nice gesture on his part which I appreciate. So, she's going in Monday for alignment - then I hope I can get the ball rolling for the interior refresh and rear window seal replacement. I'm getting excited about having the interior basically complete - not for show, just a comfortable, presentable ride.

Also on the front end, I contacted a Studebaker vendor to ask if he had one (or more) of the large washers that goes on the control arm shaft up against the shaft bushing. He wrote back and said he had a used one and would send it to me. Hope it gets here before Monday.

post-81474-143139293546_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139293561_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139293576_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139293591_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139293606_thumb.jpg

Chris, I remember that day well. What a sad little puppy. Didn't run so we had to push it everywhere, but we got her in the garage. And the work began. You have done a great bring her back from the dead. Gradually she will get better and better with each little thing that you did. One day you will look back on the journey and have a big smile for all of your accomplishments.

Guest Foggy norm

Unimogjohn said " have a big smile for all of your accomplishments", and realize there's still more to do! I would suggest graphite for the felt, for goodness sakes don't use silicone! You'll have painting in your future, that stuff is waiting for you to start.............

John - I'm grateful for your help that day and the many other times you have sent advice and suggestions. I have to meet up with you sometime so you can see and hear the old girl.

Norm - thanks for the graphite suggestion. Great idea - unfortunately there is not much left to the felt, but what is there will probably appreciate something to make the window glide a little easier. I am starting to have thoughts about the paint - probably going to be some form of silver or gray. Maybe by this time next year!

Another lunchtime visit to the Avanti shed today. Last night on the way home I stopped at Home Depot and picked up some White Lithium Grease - it wasn't my first choice but they did not have my first choice. I discovered a product called Super Lube - maybe you're familiar with it. It sounded better than WLG and not as smelly as bearing grease, but the store didn't have Super Lube. So WLG it is, for now. I'll get some Super Lube before I do the right side door and compare them. At the storage unit I wiped off the excess red grease and added WLG to the various tracks and gear. Up and down the window went - fairly smooth but not super easy (maybe Super Lube will make it super easy?). But I'll take it for now - who knows, maybe I'll wipe it all off before I re-install the door panel and add Super Lube, provided I can find the stuff. Just depends on how I feel and how much time I have.

The past few days I have been keeping an eye out for the carpet set from Studebaker International, my credit card was charged for it so I knew it should be on the way. But I didn't see any big box, or any box at all. Then, last night as fatigue was winning the battle and sending me toward the bed, I noticed a message on the phone. I played it - a neighbor I don't know said that she received a package on her stoop that belonged on my stoop (thanks UPS). She said she would leave it where it was and I could come and retrieve it (thank you neighbor I don't know). So, at 10:30 last night I stumbled around in the dark and found her stoop (after first awakening another neighbor I don't know - sorry). And soon I had my carpet set in my house. Tonight I opened the box - yep, it's a bunch of carpet. Hope I can a) figure out how the pieces fit, and B) get it installed right.

post-81474-143139294993_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139295008_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139295023_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139295287_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139295302_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139295317_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139295332_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139295347_thumb.jpg

Guest Foggy norm

I shouldn't think Santa would mind, if the cookie fairy (or whatever) left some extra's on the neighbor's stoop.....friends are a nice thing to have.

Norm - that's a good idea, provided she likes cookies (who doesn't!). Also this week we had a Netflix movie go astray (my neighborhood has the WORST mailman, and apparently UPS man) and I worried about where the movie went, would I be charged for it, etc. I reported it missing, then a couple of days later Netflix said they received it. So, another friend I didn't know I had sent it back - don't know if they watched it or not!

John - I wish I could look at the old pieces! They disintegrated years ago! Haha - no worries, I'm going to take it slow and easy and figure out how each piece fits. Probably install one piece a day or something, that'll make for exciting writing on this thread! Re the sound deadener, I'm a big fan of the rumble of this car so I don't want to lose too much of that, but I am going to cover certain areas. I will definitely cover the transmission hump with a heat shield type substance, and probably the rear floor pans. Any areas that have heat coming through.

And Roger, thanks for the tip - I have some spray WLG that I can hit that spring with. It hadn't occurred to me to lube that.

Saturday, December 15, 2012. Sixty eight years ago today my father, part of a U.S. Army invasion force invading the island of Mindoro, found himself in the South China Sea (literally in the water), having been placed there compliments of a Japanese kamikaze that had slammed into the ship my father was on. The resultant conflagration destroyed the materiel on board, killed one sailor, and caused the U.S. Navy to send the ship to the bottom of the ocean, after having watched it burn for the better part of a day. In the ensuing years, having been plucked out of the sea by a sailor in a lifeboat, my father fathered 8 children, and had several Studebakers (a lot of other stuff happened, but mostly this is about Studebakers). Which brings me to today.

Today I went to see my mother at the assisted living place and take her a muffin and 2 Christmas cards. After spending some time with her I headed back towards home and as I was driving through the little town of Lucketts, Virginia I passed several cars and a flatbed tow truck heading the other direction. I barely noticed the vehicles, mostly just saw a blur of cars and a red truck - I don't know what prompted me to look in my side rearview mirror, but when I did I saw a '64 Avanti was riding on the flatbed tow truck. It was on "backwards" which is how I could see the square headlight bezels as it retreated away from me. For a second I thought about whipping around and giving chase, but I figured I wouldn't be able to catch them. I wished I had been more alert - I would like to have seen the whole car as it went by. I suppose it could have been an Avanti II, but I think it was an original Studebaker.

After returning home I went out with my wife to do the Saturday thing, lunch, errands, etc., and as we traveled to our first stop I noticed up ahead of us an old Studebaker Hawk. Hmmm, a '60 or '61, I hope we catch up with it. We did, at the next light. It was a '61, according to its license plate, and in the lone guy driving I saw myself and I was envious. Wish I was out driving my old Studebaker. After seeing two Studebakers today I had to wonder, "Was today a drive your Studebaker day?" or "Was that Dad, on the anniversary of that fateful day 68 years ago, sending a subtle message that he is still out there?" I prefer to believe it was the latter.

One of our stops today was an Ace Hardware, where I was able to pick up some Super Lube and the missing option on my Avanti: a cupholder. Man, I was wondering if they still made these things! I always have to prop my coffee cup on the passenger seat, surrounded by various things to keep it upright. But no more! Then, when I got home, I found in the mail the large control arm shaft washer that the Studebaker vendor, Chuck Collins, had in his inventory. Thanks Chuck! And thanks Dad, for still being out there.

post-81474-143139297333_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313929735_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139297365_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139297384_thumb.jpg

This morning was another Avanti Sunday morning. Since I'm supposed to take the old car in for a front end alignment I figured I would change out the temporary washer setup I had on the control arm shaft and replace it with the original setup. I removed the new washer and installed the old one I got from Chuck Collins, carefully torquing it to 55 lbs. It took the torque and the washer held strong. So now I'm back to a normal setup and I can move on to other fun tasks. After I put the wheel back on I turned my attention to the door panel. I wanted to temporarily install it so I could drive the car to the shop in comfort (as opposed to having to sharp door pull mount sticking me in the side). I sprayed some WLG on the window spring, covered the access openings with duct tape and stuck the door panel back on. I attached enough screws to hold the panel in place, then just stuck the door handle and window crank on with no retainer clips. That's because I'm going to do some additional work on the panel, then install it tight with screws and install the new handle and crank. Then I installed the optional cup holder I got yesterday :D

After that there was nothing left to do but drive! So I put the key in the cut-off switch (so glad I installed that), turned it on, hopped in and fired her up. What a car! I headed out on the highway, and since it had been raining the pavement was still damp, so I headed for the interstate, where I knew the pavement would be dry from all the traffic activity. I spurred her on and quickly took her up to highway speed. Engine revving comfortably in the power band and supercharger whistling, we had a nice cruise. A smooth running motor in this old car - it was a very nice run. Too soon it was time to return to the stable, where I put the old rocket to bed. But I'll be back soon to drive her again - to the shop we are supposed to go for front end alignment, and probably a look over to see if anything is amiss.

post-81474-143139298325_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313929834_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139298357_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139298372_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139298386_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139298487_thumb.jpg

A couple of days with no Avanti fun - as a matter of fact there will be slim pickings of Avanti fun for the next week, since the holiday rush is upon us. I was supposed to take the old beast in to the shop to get the front end aligned today but work has picked up in the last few days (because of the impending end of the year) and I decided to put the nose to the grindstone and take care of business. Plus, there is some finalizing of Christmas shopping to do, plus an office Christmas get together, plus Christmas lights to go see. So it looks like the old car will just have to wait it out - maybe I can sneak by this weekend and take her out for a run. She'll like that - so will I.

On the bright side, I've been eyeing the calendar and I believe I'm going to make a command decision to bring the rocket home and park it in the garage for a few weeks. That way I can get to that rear window and do the interior refresh. Tentative arrival date: last few days of December or the first few days of the new year. Can't wait! Speaking of the interior, my last item on the Studebaker International order for the interior arrived last night - the carpet mats are here (just one of which is pictured below). Looks like I've got the parts I need - now just send me a big box 'o time!

post-81474-143139300915_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313930093_thumb.jpg

Norm - I wonder sometimes....

Well, the fast approaching holiday has kept me from having any time with the Avanti, I had planned to drop by on Friday but "scheduling conflicts" kept me away. Then I planned a usual Sunday morning visit, but then the plan was changed to meet two nieces for lunch - then that fell through, so off I went for a quick visit. I got to the storage unit a couple of hours later than usual and immediately set to getting the old car ready to rumble. After checking the fluids I hopped in and cranked her over. She started nicely, which was a little surprising as it has been pretty cold. Out we went for a quick drive around, everything worked well, the engine ran strong, and the only problem I encountered was the short amount of time I got to cruise around. In the blink of an eye (seemed like), I was back at the storage unit putting her away.

During the post drive inspection I noticed the same thing I have noticed the past couple of times I have driven the car, only worse. That thing is coolant is leaking, spraying out onto the supercharger bonnet, among other things. Looks like some coolant is escaping where the expansion tank flange meets the water manifold - maybe a tighten down will solve the problem. If not it looks like I'll have to pull the tank and clean the flange mounting surfaces, put a new gasket and Permatex on, and re-install. If I have to do that it'll probably be a good time to install one of those wider opening thermostats that Paul told me about several months back. Even though the running hot problem has pretty much solved itself (even before the weather turned cold it was running cooler), it won't hurt to have more flow through the cooling system.

And, hopefully next week at this time I will have the old car home for some extended work - first up, the rear window seal. I nervously await....

post-81474-143139305185_thumb.jpg

post-81474-1431393052_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139305216_thumb.jpg

Hey John - good to hear from you. I've heard these tanks have problems leaking - guess it's true. I've been thinking about eliminating the tank altogether and installing the updated system that some Avanti owners go to. Hopefully I can get the leak to stop, though. I've been wanting to come out that way, I thought you might be in Seattle this week. Maybe I can take a few hours off at the end of the week and head out there - before I take the rear window out. I'll let you know after I check with the boss (the paycheck signing boss).

50 years ago today someone walked into the Studebaker dealer in Plattsburgh, New York and ordered the Avanti that would eventually end up in my hands. I have to wonder if it was a good Christmas for the person who ordered my car - did he have a sense of excitement entering that dealership that day? Of course he did - it's always exciting to buy a new car, especially the radical new car out there. I believe the gentleman's name was Dr. Kenneth Koontz, at least that is what is on the little metal dash plaque that came unglued some time ago. The plaque is somewhere about - in the car or one of the boxes that collected various parts and such. On the build sheet pictured below the date is 12-26-62 and the destination is Plattsburgh, New York. I did some research on Bob Johnstone's Studebaker website and the dealer listed for Plattsburgh was L.C. Bolles, Inc. in Port Henry, NY. That's a bit of distance from Plattsburgh proper, about 50 miles. I also found the incorporation notice for Mr Bolles' auto dealer group dated March 18, 1922 with capital of $5000. A bygone era, for sure - oh well, I believe that's where the old Avanti came from.

A few other pictures below show some of my Christmas gifts, these being from my boss, who has family in Mishawaka, Indiana, hard against South Bend. After a visit to the family over Thanksgiving my boss mentioned that he stopped by the Studebaker Museum. I asked if he took the tour - he replied no, he just hit the gift shop. He smiled and said that he could check Chris off his Christmas list. I figured I would get an Avanti key fob, but check it out - a poster, coffee mug, postcard, and a die cast model! I feel special. And my boss gave that to me today - 50 years to the day when mine was ordered (he didn't know that), and in the exact colors mine came from the factory! Stuff like this makes me wonder if someone is watching all this stuff going on here. Maybe I just have an active imagination!:D

Anyway, the first 50 years have flown by - wonder where the old girl will be in another 50 years? Maybe I'll be somewhere watching it all, huh?

post-81474-143139308794_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139308809_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139308818_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139308833_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139308847_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139308862_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139308876_thumb.jpg

Pat - maybe by then they'll have something cooler than a wheelchair. Maybe a hover chair that I can zip around in :D

Chuck - Happy Holidays to you, too. Yes, my boss, he's a great guy. I guess that's why I've been working for him for over 14 years! And our co-worker, Sharon, has been working here many more years than that (35+ years!) She had a look at the Avanti model yesterday and asked if mine looked like that yet. No, not yet (maybe some day??) She also informed me she used to tool around in a red '66 Corvette. 'Til she had kids:)

Thanks for wishing me luck on that leak - I'm gonna need it!

Well, let the fun begin. I retrieved the old Avanti this morning and brought it home to remove the rear window. Sometimes I wonder why I got into this game in the first place. There's something to be said for bringing something (car, house, person) back from near extinction, but jeez, sometimes ya gotta question your sanity. Especially, in this case, when there are Avantis floating around for less than what I have in this one. About 6 months ago an Avanti showed up on ebay, 20 miles from my house, my favorite color, 4 speed, etc. Went for 20k or less. I just keep telling myself that I am saving this one from sure death. I'm doing my good deed.

So, I spent the day doing my good deed - I got the car put back in the garage and started on the window. I removed the retaining clip screw from the upper stainless trim, then removed the back seat so as not to put too much stress on the old vinyl as I crawled around in the back of the car. Almost a year ago, while I was in the back of the car working on the fuel tank, I wondered if the rear window weatherstrip still had any pliability left. I reached up and grabbed a piece of the weatherstrip and tried to flex it. Snap. Nope, no pliability left here. So today I just continued the snapping of the petrified rubber. Some areas wouldn't give, so I used a screwdriver on them. Pretty soon I had the upper and half the sides broken off - the lower areas wouldn't give as much, so I scored the rubber with a utility knife and used the trusty paint can lid puller to grab the rubber and break it off. Soon all the inner rubber lip was gone and a little push on the upper window was all it took to pop the window free.

From there we grabbed the glass and flipped it over onto the roof of the car, where I left it while I worked on cleaning the window opening. After I cleaned off all the old sealant and other gunk I worked on cleaning the interior upholstered pieces that butt up to the window. On the left side things aren't too bad, on the right we have issues. I'll need to try to get the trim secured better than it is - I also need to fit the rear section of the headliner in place. The old trim pieces on each side of the headliner are misshapen and semi-petrified, like everything else. I'll just have to do the best I can with them. Then I had a close look at the rear shelf - I thought I might be able to salvage that piece, but no. It's done. So I'll have to check around and see if I can possibly get one somewhere - might have to make a replacement.

The last fun for the day was pulling the old weatherstrip from the glass - it was pretty tight, but finally gave up. Then I began cleaning the old sealant off the glass - I got most off before I turned to the stainless trim. I scored the old rubber with the utility knife and broke one side of the rubber off which enabled me to wrestle the stainless free. I didn't bend any of it so it was a success! Tomorrow I continue cleaning the glass, shine up the stainless and fool around with the headliner piece to see if it will fit into place. I need to find some butyl vulcanizing tape somewhere - the shop manual says to use that on the edge of the glass before putting the weatherstrip on. Maybe that tape helps hold the window in at 100+ miles per hour. Not that I would ever need that :D

post-81474-143139313091_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139313105_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139313121_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139313135_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313931315_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139313164_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139313178_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139313192_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139313207_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139313221_thumb.jpg

Chris,

You may not like what I have to say...It seems that your are not the best in planification. You will install the back window with those crusty trim pieces which go under the rubber seal. And then? You will once be disgusted at that ungainly trim pieces and will buy new one or, if not available, let do new ones. For installation, you will have to remove the back window again...Same for the exterior paint: to have a good work, the paint must be applied also under the weatherstrip.

Why don't replace the trim parts which are around the back window aperture before installing the glass? And paint the inside of the channel the paint you will sooner or later let do?

Of course, all this demand more time as you like and more money. I just hate myself to do some work twice...

Ben, tell me about it! My shoulders were hurting last night from lifting that beast!

Roger, actually, I'm right on plan. Since I am 1) not wealthy, 2) not retired, and 3) not possessed of a detached, roomy garage, I have to work with what I have. So, I decided early on to fix what I could fix and salvage what I could salvage. It's not the prettiest girl on the block, but it's still pretty cool in my book and I can enjoy driving it now instead of 3 years from now when I might not even be interested anymore. So, in the end, it's going to have to be the next guy who restores this car - I'm just trying to rescue it from being parted out. I think we're on track for that goal.

Today I continued the work on the rear glass. I started first thing this morning by resuming the scraping of the old sealer from the glass - crusty old sealer that came off with the help of the utility knife. After I got as much of the sealer off as possible I hit it with steel wool and that pretty much cleaned it up. It'll get one last touch up before I put the rubber on. After the glass was clean I hit the stainless trim - I brushed the excess dirt off before cleaning the pieces with steel wool. They cleaned up nicely - now they are ready to go into the new rubber. After that I had a look at the rustic side sail trim. After squeezing and pulling and determining what might work I set about gluing it fast to the side panel. I put a multitude of clamps on and hoped for the best - if it holds I think the window weatherstrip will just cover the edge. If it doesn't hold I'll drop back and punt - come up with another plan.

After that it was time for lunch and supplies. So we headed out to a couple of hardware stores where I picked up some things, the main thing being some rubber tape that goes along the window edge before installing the weatherstrip. After a couple of hours to decompress it was back to the garage downstairs to continue the fun. I grabbed the new rear piece of headliner I got a couple of weeks ago and had a look at how it was going to fit. The vinyl on the two upper side trim pieces has curled up from years of neglect, and trying to get them to fold back into place is futile since they are so crusty. I haven't finished cleaning these pieces - it going to take multiple cleanings to get them (and the rest of the interior) clean. I'm going to have to come up with some additional trim piece to cover up the curled up areas where they meet the headliner. I'll come up with something.

The reproduction headliner is made from fiberglass and is designed to fit and stay in place without glue. As I fooled around with it I determined that that was indeed true, so I pulled the plastic cover off and set about installing it. Pretty soon it was in place, held there by the roll bar, the side pieces, and eventually, the weatherstrip. After getting the headliner piece in place I used some double sided tape pieces to hold the rear edge (the edge that the weatherstrip holds down). I put some clamps on it to hold it fast until it's time to install the window - there is about an inch of excess headliner sticking out past the window fence. I will trim that off using a cut-off wheel on the Dremel tool. More fun tomorrow!

post-81474-143139315043_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139315056_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313931507_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139315085_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139315099_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139315114_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313931513_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139315144_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139315161_thumb.jpg