Avanti Rescue

Wow Roger, that would be a haul. Thankfully, I was able to find a helper much closer to home. This morning when I got downstairs to the garage my first order of business was to attack the cleaning of the glass which looked like a tar factory exploded on it. After a fair amount of time scrubbing the glass surface with a dry steel wool pad and scraping the edge of the rubber seal, I had the unit close to acceptable for the next task. Which was installing the stainless trim top and bottom. I started on the top and soon the trim was seated in its place. Hmmm...not too bad. Then I moved on to the long bottom piece - that went in fairly well and locked into place. I thought, "Hmmmm, not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be, you just have to pull the rubber open and insert the trim." I shouldn't have thought that - the "Make Things Difficult" gremlin heard my thoughts and instantly transported himself from where he was causing someone else trouble and commenced with causing me trouble. I moved on to the next piece of trim - the next shorter piece that fits over the cowl hump. Well, that went in sort of easy, but wouldn't quite lock down - then I noticed the window seal had pulled away from the glass. Then it was a battle to get that to stay on while getting the trim to "lock" into place. A couple of times I had to re-set the longer piece of trim, then work on the shorter piece, fight with the rubber pulling off the glass, AND keep in mind that the little connecting pieces of trim had to connect everything together. Whew! Finally, I got it all in place and I tied it up tight with rope. I installed the final, shortest piece and then taped all of it with masking tape.

Then I laid the glass on the hood, masked off the inside surfaces adjacent to the seal, covered the dash with plastic, and loosened the overhead switch panel and taped it back out of the way. Then I took the draw cord and inserted it into the retainer lip of the seal. Then I called Greg Cone, an Avanti enthusiast with eons more experience with Avantis than me. John Feser, from the Avanti Refresh thread on this site, suggested I call him to get some tips, as Greg has done several window installations. Greg graciously shared his experience with me - I specifically needed to know if he started the draw cord at the bottom or top. He said the bottom, advised me to use soapy water to make the rubber go smoother and, most importantly, to tape the stainless trim to the glass with clear shipping tape. After talking to Greg I removed the masking tape and put shipping tape on.

Almost ready - do I try to go for it, or take a break. My wife appeared and suggested a break for lunch so I would be fresh for the next battle. Good idea - we went and had some lunch, then returned to get the glass in. Me, and my lovely wife helping. I ran a bead of the black goop sealer around the inside of the "fence" (the lip that holds the window in place). Instead of using soapy water I decided to try Vinyl and Leather Restorer (basically Armor-All). I sprayed it all around the perimeter of the seal to make it slippery and help it crawl over the fence. I got in the car and with my wife pushing on the glass from outside I began pulling the draw cord. The first several inches the cord just pulled straight out with out pulling the rubber over the fence. Then I remembered the picture in the shop manual, where the guy in the tie (I swear, guys must have worn a tie to cut the grass in those days) was pulling upward on the cord. I started doing that and the seal started coming over the fence. For the most part, the rest of the installation went well - I just took it slow, stopped several times to check the position of the glass. The black sealer goop came through with the draw cord, of course, and a couple of times I had to stop and scrape the stalactites (or are they stalagmites?) from the upper part of the seal. After the draw cord had been pulled all the way around I went back and "tweaked" a couple of spots where the rubber didn't come fully over the lip. I pulled those over manually with a small screwdriver and a paint can lid remover, which is basically a screwdriver with a hooked end.

After the glass was in it was just a matter of cleanup and re-installation of trim and windshield wipers, etc. I was done by 6 PM and on my way back to the storage unit. Man, I love driving that car! But I'm taking a few days off from Avanti fun to catch up with other things. Next I have to fix the oil leak and replace the coolant with anti-freeze.

Special thanks to Greg Cone for his tips and extra special thanks to my wife for her help - couldn't have done it without her!

post-81474-143139207066_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139207082_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139207096_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139207112_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139207128_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139207145_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139207162_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313920718_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139207195_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313920721_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeventhSon (see edit history)

Installing such an almost flat windshield is a breeze compared the the panoramic ones from the fifties! The most difficult I had to install were the rear window from my own '57 Brougham and the rear window from a '58 Cadillac Coupe. Front windows, even panoramic, are easier to install than back glass...

Anyway, you are certainly happy to have it done, even if it's a mess with the sealer! did you seal also the channel into which the windshield is located?

I am very happy to have that behind me, Roger. I can't imagine having to do any of the glass in that old '58 Coupe DeVille I had, it must be a real treat (not!). And yes, I did put sealer in the glass channel of the seal, following the shop manual instructions, "Lay a heavy bead of windshield sealer into the glass channel of the weatherstrip...." Maybe I laid a little too heavy of a bead!

Thanks John, it's been 25 years since I did the windshield in the Volvo P1800 and I believe I could wait another 25 years before tackling another one! But, it did turn out well - thanks to many different things.

Roger, I already have the new rear weatherstrip in hand, but sources inform me that the rear window is the real fun one on this car. I was planning on waiting til next spring, but last night while I was wrapping up the windshield install my wife was inspecting the rear window. She suggested that it would be a good "weekend project" sometime this winter. Ha! I'm not sure - maybe next winter!

A little "light duty" Avanti work tonight - cleaning up the sun visors that I took off last week. Getting them ready to stick back on, I've been told they aren't available anymore so it looks like these will have to make do. One side is cooked - one side is not bad. I guess the side that was turned up against the headliner was protected and the other side just baked for two and a half decades. Ah well, tonight I cleaned them off with my bleach/TSP solution, then I tried out the Dremel like tool with a little wire brush on it to knock the rust off the mounts. Worked well, until the wire wheel grabbed my latex glove and ripped half of it off. Oops! That happened last time I worked with that little wire wheel - I was cleaning the metal fuel filler tube and it grabbed the glove. No harm - the flimsy glove easily gave way, but a lesson here, kids. Don't wear rings, jewelery, etc. around power tools - and you girls, tie the hair back. Safety first.

Family stuff coming up the next few days, so I guess I won't be able to have fun with the old Avanti. Maybe Friday I can slip by the storage place and mount these visors - then Sunday when everybody leaves maybe I can sneak over and start her up! Hehe - we'll see....

post-81474-143139209617_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139209632_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139209648_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139209663_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139209678_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139209693_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeventhSon (see edit history)

Friday, October 12. I stopped in to see the Avanti today and put the sun visors back on. And that's about it - I did raise the hood and contemplate how I am going to get the valve cover gasket situated again so it stops blowing oil all over the intake manifold. Sigh, ya just gotta start at the beginning and remove all the stuff in the way and fix the problem and then put all the stuff back on. So, there's no easy magic wand to wave that will fix it?? Nope. Begin at the beginning. On the plus side, I'll be able to drive around again without thinking about oil getting all over the engine.

After that fun I will need to flush the coolant and replace with some nice anti-freeze. Getting about time for that. After contemplating the work in the engine compartment I moved to the rear window and contemplated that for awhile. Tsk, tsk, it's a shame to have that rotten rubber on there, with big holes allowing water to leak in. After all, I have all the stuff I need to do the job.....

Looks like the rear window is peeking above the horizon.

post-81474-143139212836_thumb.jpg

Well, no Avanti fun this weekend - family obligations for me. So, now that I was able to have a few moments to myself, I stopped by the Avanti shed to start on fixing the valve cover gasket. Not sure where it went wrong, but I have a feeling that, when I had to loosen the air cleaner assembly to install the ignition shielding on that side, it allowed the gasket to move a bit. Then, when I tightened the valve cover nut I overtightened it and the gasket slipped out of its place. The gasket has a pretty severe cut in it from the inner lip of the valve cover. However it happened, it happened. And now I have to fix it. I was hoping I would be able to loosen the cover and slip the gasket back into place. I didn't really think that would work - just wishful thinking on my part. The gasket is all oily and slipping here and there and generally not behaving. Plus, after seeing that cut in it, where it is nearly cut in two, I decided that the valve cover was coming all the way off. I'll clean it up and get a new gasket and put it all back together right. A lot of work, but I look at it this way: once I'm done I get to drive it!

So, I've already ordered the new gasket from Studebaker International. While I was at it I ordered the intake manifold clamps - quite a while back, while installing the intake manifold, one of the clamps developed a crack in it and was splitting instead of tightening down the way it should. So I have some stuff to do this week - hopefully I can get it back together by this weekend so I can drive it and get to task of flushing the cooling system.

post-81474-14313921679_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139216806_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313921682_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139216835_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139216849_thumb.jpg

Good idea Dave, I was thinking along those lines too. I investigated the full line of Permatex gasket sealers and I think I might use one of them. Probably Permatex Ultra Gasket Sealant and Dressing - they claim it holds the gasket in place during installation. I think I'm going to use a composite gasket - what say the crowd, neoprene or composite?

Yesterday I stopped by the Avanti storage place and removed the valve cover. I loaded it, the air cleaner assembly, and the couple pieces of ignition shielding in the trunk of the daily driver and took them home last night. Then I spent a half hour or so cleaning the parts in preparation of putting everything back together. Oh what a happy day that will be - when I can once again slide behind the steering wheel and fire the old machine up. It's been over a week! Too long to go without a supercharged Avanti run.

As I was cleaning the valve cover one of the mounting stud grommets popped out. I had a look at it and saw that it was nearly torn in half. Great. So I ordered a few this morning - now I'm waiting for those and the gasket so I can re-install. Actually, I think I'm going to re-use the gasket I took off - it's practically new and the slice in it is only partial. I fixed that with some silicone last night while I was cleaning everything. I reserve the right to change my mind on that once I see what the composition gasket looks like when it arrives.

So, basically waiting on parts now, so I can put everything back together and fire her up!

post-81474-143139219738_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139219753_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139219769_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139219783_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139219798_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139219812_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139219826_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313921984_thumb.jpg

Chris - I like the rubberband over the rag at the input of the supercharger, but why not use two and cover both input and output? The last thing you want is a fumbled nut/washer heading into either port. Better safe than sorry!

Keep up the great work, we are following your every improvement!

Chuck

Thanks Chuck - you are right, I better cover the output port too when I am working on it. I've seen some incredible acrobatics by nuts and bolts and washers as they fly through the air, bounce off the work light and make a hole in one down the carburetor chute! I put the hose and carb bonnet on the supercharger when I leave, so some mouse doesn't back the moving van up and take up residence - then get the surprise of his life! But I should cover that hole up when I'm working on the car - and I will. Thanks for checking out what I'm doing - it makes it more fun knowing someone is following along.

Well, my Studebaker International order came today - the one with the composition valve cover gasket and the intake manifold clamps. The clamps actually look like NOS and not reproductions. Not sure. The other night, when I was cleaning the valve cover, the mounting stud grommet popped out. I picked it up and found that the top half was almost separated from the lower half. I tried to fix it with silicone but it didn't "take". So, the very next morning I ordered a few more, one to use and a few to have on hand. Well, tonight, when I opened up the box from S.I., I was surprised to find that the valve cover gaskets come as a "kit", complete with the rubber grommets. Ha! Now I'll have a few extra extra on hand!

post-81474-143139221938_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139221953_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139221967_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139221982_thumb.jpg

Whew! What a miserable weekend! Not weather-wise or anything - work-wise, though. Had to go to a job site at 5 PM on Friday and didn't get home until 8 PM, and then had to work on the computer both Saturday and Sunday for the same site. I was able to get out in the nice weather each day for a couple of hours but the one thing missing was Avanti fun. None. Zip. Nada. Not complaining - just saying, it's no fun when there's no Avanti fun!

So today I made sure I made time for the old Avanti - I left the office at noon and didn't come back for two and a half hours. So there. I was able to make some progress on getting the valve cover back on, nobody was around to bother me. I got some Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealer yesterday, so when I got to the storage unit I got right to it. I prepared the surfaces, ran a bead along both of them, then let them tack up a little. I took the new cork gasket and stuck it onto the valve cover - I was pleasantly surprised at how the valve cover held the gasket. Probably didn't need the gasket sealer but I don't think it hurt anything. I'm now a fan of the cork gasket, at least while they are fresh - it fit great and held tight in the groove around the valve cover.

Before I could install the valve cover I had to remove the nuts holding the spark plug wire harness - just no way to squeeze it in there without knocking the gasket akimbo. Easy enough to move that aside, then the valve cover went on, the gasket stayed put, and everything looked good. I put both nuts on and tightened them snug but not tight - I just wanted the surfaces to mate up for a bit. Then the ignition shielding went on, the big input hose went on, then the trip to hell began. The air cleaner installation. I removed the one valve cover nut, then struggled to get the air cleaner "can" onto the hose, onto the lower bracket, onto the valve cover stud. I must be getting better at it - soon enough it was on, it was still a #@%&*%, but not as much as the last time. Then it was just a matter of putting the output hose and carburetor bonnet on. Easy enough, and she was done! I wanted to jump in and go for a drive. A long drive. Like 3 thousand miles - not stopping until I got to the Pacific ocean. But I had to remind myself that the gasket sealer had to cure for 3 hours. So no starting today.

Tonight I received my latest order from Studebaker International containing the valve cover grommets (which I didn't need because they came with the valve cover gaskets, which I didn't know), some speed nuts for the headlight covers, and a shiny wing nut for the carb bonnet. Oh! I now have a reason to go visit the car tomorrow!

post-81474-143139227884_thumb.jpg

post-81474-1431392279_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139227915_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313922793_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139227944_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139227959_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139227974_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139227989_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139228003_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139228018_thumb.jpg

After 2 weeks of idleness the Avanti rumbled to life today. I rushed there from work at lunchtime and promptly set about getting her ready to go out. First I replaced the old rusty wing nut on the carburetor bonnet with the new shiny one from Studebaker International (woooo, big project!). Then I checked the fluids - everything was good to go. I hopped in and cranked her over - I have to admit, I was kind of concerned that the battery might be down after the extended break. It seemed to crank just a tiny bit slower, and it took a little longer for her to fire, but she eventually fired up. Sounds so good - just a beaut of a motor in this car. Off I went, first to the bank, where I got out, locked the door just like any other car and went in the bank. A few minutes later I came out, unlocked the door, got in and fired her up. Just like a regular car.

I rode around a bit here and there, not nearly long enough, but enough to get the smile back on my face. Had a lot of looks from folks as I drove past. No telling what they think of that old rocket ship! After a while I had to take her back to her stable - reluctantly. But now that we're back on the road I can get over there again soon for another drive. Heck, I could go by every day at lunchtime if I wanted! If I didn't have a dozen other things to do everyday at lunchtime, I could.

post-81474-143139229439_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139229453_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139229467_thumb.jpg

"Had a lot of looks from folks as I drove past. No telling what they think of that old rocket ship!"

They probably don't understand and think "What is that thing with a high pitched whine? It must be old, but what IS it? Sounds good!" Sorry - I was seeing the crowd thru your new windshield and echoing my inner self. Chris - you do make it so easy to "be there with you" as you keep us updated with your style of writing. I've been alot of places in your "rocket ship!" Thank you for that.

Chuck

Regarding valve cover gaskets, a pro-stock builder taught me this method.

* Put gasket in place, put valve cover on top, screw in screws, DON'T tighten yet, just snug, then tighten the lower screws, this makes the lower portion of the cover act as a hinge, so when you tighten the upper screws the bottom portion of the cover will seal even better.

I hope I explained this so it's understandable.

Dale in Indy i

"Had a lot of looks from folks as I drove past. No telling what they think of that old rocket ship!"

They probably don't understand and think "What is that thing with a high pitched whine? It must be old, but what IS it? Sounds good!" Sorry - I was seeing the crowd thru your new windshield and echoing my inner self. Chris - you do make it so easy to "be there with you" as you keep us updated with your style of writing. I've been alot of places in your "rocket ship!" Thank you for that.

Chuck

Thank you for the kind words, Chuck - it means a lot knowing some folks are out there following along and actually enjoying it! I know it has kept me going on many occasions when I might have slacked off a bit. It's enjoyable to write about the adventures with this old car and I hope to keep doing it for a long time!

Dale, thanks. The Studebaker V8 is unique in that it just has the 2 center nuts that hold down the valve cover. I'm not sure if these old motors are prone to leaking around the valve covers because of that. I grew up around quite a few Studebaker V8's and I don't recall that being a problem - the front seal is a different story though. That's the Studebaker self-oiling and underside rust proofing system in action!

Correction - not the front seal, but the front oil pan gasket. On my Avanti engine, after I had taken the oil pan off early this year and cleaned everything up and put it back together, my brother Brian shared a tip he got from Nimesh Solanki, Avanti expert. He said before the engine is run and oil starts leaking from that front gasket, coat the front gasket area with silicone caulk and that will seal it. It worked on mine and it worked on brother Brian's Avanti! Haven't seen any oil yet, knock on wood - I am losing some transmission grease, though, evidenced in the drip pan on the floor of the storage unit.

Another lunchtime visit to the Avanti today, this time to just do a little cleaning and have a look at the rear window. A freak storm is supposed to be rolling into town this weekend, which will probably scuttle my plans to take the old beast out for some fun. Ah well, as they say, "Nothing you can do about the weather!" How true. Anyway, I wanted to throw some chrome cleaner on the valve covers, carb bonnet, and exhaust extensions and shine them up a bit. I also wanted to clean another panel on the interior and try to judge just how tough it is going to be to get that interior clean. As you can see from the pictures, there is some serious mildew problem on the interior surfaces. I've been cleaning some here and there and eventually I'm going to have a marathon cleaning session and crack some serious mildew head.

After rubbing the various chrome parts with chrome cleaner I left them alone to dry. Then I jumped inside and sprayed some of my bleach/TSP solution on one mildewed area. Scrub, scrub, I went, spraying some more and scrubbing some more. After a while I took some clean water on a paper towel and wiped the surface down. Well, the bleach and scrubbing helped, but it's gonna need a few more treatments, I believe. That's OK, it'll be fun to see if, and how far, I can bring the interior back. As I have indicated earlier on this thread I intend to buy some selected interior pieces to help freshen things up a little. After the rear window is back in. Finishing my brief foray in the interior I returned to the chrome and wiped the dried cleaner off, shining the pieces to a bright finish. When I finished the exhaust extensions I thought, "Hmmm, wonder if this chrome cleaner will help this rear bumper?" I gave the top of the bumper a quick wipe down with the cloth that had chrome cleaner on it. I looked at the cloth - it was black. OK, maybe I can clean this bumper up a little. Worth the effort anyway.

Then I checked out that rear glass and the rotten and petrified weatherstrip. Whew, don't want to let too much water fall on this car - a couple of gaping holes and cracks in the seal. Time has come to fix that problem - I've started perusing the calendar for a few open days I could utilize for the job. Coming up soon. I have heard from a couple of people that that window is a real treat to take out and put back in. I've read some stuff about the rear windows on the Avanti - for those that don't know the story, apparently the first Avantis built had a problem with the rear window popping out at high speed, leaving the unlucky driver watching helplessly as his window took sail and landed a few hundred feet away with a shatter. So, Studebaker tightened up the rear window opening. Too tight, apparently. So those windows are tough to get to seat, from they say. We'll see - I'm not looking forward to the job, but I am looking forward to having a new window seal in the car. So, it's gotta be done - soon, I hope.

post-81474-143139232182_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139232196_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139232211_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139232225_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313923224_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139232254_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139232269_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139232283_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139232297_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139232311_thumb.jpg

Chris, this rear window weatherstrip is not good looking...Before you are planing to replace it, you have to think that when you will install once an headliner, the rear window is to be removed as the material is pinched by the weatherstrip...Same procedure for the side panels. Next thinking: if you once would like to paint your car, to have a nice job the front and rear window must be removed...Think about that!

Roger - I was contemplating that yesterday, most of what you just said. How is the new weatherstrip going to fit over the interior panel edges? I have to admit, I didn't think about the headliner - I'm not sure how the reproduction units fit at the rear window. I'll have to seek out some pictures and advice to see. As far as paint....hmmmm....looks like we're going to have to try to do the best job we can around those windows - because I ain't gonna take 'em out again! I'll let the next guy do that!

Well, if last weekend was a pain and no Avanti fun weekend, then this weekend made up for it. Since I took care of the oil leak earlier this week I was ready to get to the antifreeze situation this weekend. I've been mulling over how to get all the coolant out of the engine block and radiator and flush the system, etc, etc. Since I didn't want to get caught short by a snap freeze type situation and I don't have the optimal place to flush the system, I decided to drain the radiator and put 2 gallons of full strength antifreeze in. So, I left early this morning, Sunday, and headed to Advance Auto, getting there right when they opened at 9. With the big storm of the century bearing down on us I wanted to make sure I got my planned task done before the bad weather hit. And maybe even get out for a ride, too. After picking up 2 gallons of antifreeze, a big drain pan, and an antifreeze tester, I headed to the storage unit. I stuck the drain pan under the radiator petcock and let the radiator drain.

While the radiator was draining I checked the oil (half a quart down) and had a look at the tires, etc. Everything looked good - just had to wait for the coolant to drain. Before long the water draining slowed to a trickle, then stopped. I closed the petcock and poured the 2 gallons of antifreeze into the expansion tank. Perfect fit! I figured that what coolant was in the engine block would mix with the antifreeze and give me about a 50/50 mix. I know that what was in the engine block is not optimal clean coolant fluid, but I'll run this mix for the winter and do a proper flush in the spring. Well, I guess the only way to get the radiator coolant and the engine coolant to mix is to start it up and run it! So I fired her up and took her out!

I'm so happy the rain and bad weather held off - I was able to get out on the Interstate highway and open her up. On the entrance ramp to the highway I got into it pretty strong - of course she blasted off, the torque feeling like the car wants to jump off the road. Pretty soon I settled into a nice highway speed and she just cruised along - this car really loves to run the higher RPM's while shooting down the open road. Watching the gauges the whole time, I was very pleased with all the readings. The temp gauge consistently showed 175 degrees, which it has been doing in recent weeks. I pushed the heater and defroster levers and the temp lever forward to the "on" position and, after a few moments, the temp gauge dropped to around 170. I drove west for 15 or 20 miles, then exited the interstate and headed back on a regular state highway. Just rumbled along, the engine running nice and smooth, my left elbow resting on the arm rest, a couple of fingers and a thumb of my left hand gently grasping the steering wheel. A real pleasure to drive - I drove the old car for an hour, putting about 50 miles on her. I returned to the storage unit and backed in - the odometer showing just a couple of miles under 69,000.

It was time to put her to bed for a couple of days to wait out the big storm - I had a look at everything and didn't see anything amiss. I'll check the coolant with the antifreeze tester the next time I stop in, after the engine has cooled. Next up I guess I'll replace that intake manifold clamp that was splitting, do some more cleaning, and start looking into straightening the rear "package shelf" which is sagging terribly. But first, I gotta wait until this storm gets out of the way.

post-81474-14313923629_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139236305_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313923632_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139236335_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139236349_thumb.jpg

I dropped by to check on the Avanti at lunch today since the Superstorm was making its way out of here (good riddance!). Everything was safe and dry, which is what I was hoping for. Too wet and raw to really do anything to speak of on the old car - I did check the antifreeze strength since the engine was cool. It's good to -20 degrees F. I'll take that - if it gets any colder than that around here I'm headed south!

A few days off from the Avanti rescue - then a visit today (finally!) Storms and work kept me away, such is life. Last time I was at the storage unit I checked the oil and saw that it was half a quart down. I had planned to stop by Advance Auto on my way to the Avanti shed, but since the expiration of Daylight Savings Time gave me an extra hour this morning I was too early for the store. So I stopped by another store which I knew to not stock Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil, but I had another idea in mind. I figured I would just add a bottle of STP (The Racer's Edge!) and that would carry me over. As I was checking out the selection I found the usual STP, then noticed the STP High Mileage bottle. Hmmmm...let's see....formulated for high mileage motors, helps seal old, shrunken gaskets, stops engines from smoking (!). Woohoo - sounds like just what I'm looking for! I bought that, some more Chrome Cleaner, and Goop Hand Cleaner. I should have bought some batteries for the camera - after arriving at the storage unit and attempting to take the first picture, the batteries in the camera bit the dust. Sigh...

Easy enough to fix - I closed up the unit, hopped in the daily driver, and headed to the nearest convenience store. I was back in 5 minutes, ready to take pictures. I put the STP in, then turned to working on the intake manifold bracket that cracked last March when I was putting the engine back together. The new mounting bracket went on nicely and was soon torqued down. Then I set about closing up the access hole that was left open somewhere along the line. I found it to have a funky type mounting clip - I ended up adding some silicone to hold it tighter, then I pushed the clip through the mounting hole. It should hold OK. After that I fooled around with the rear shelf - I mistakenly thought I could bang or push that sagging piece back up to fit better. Nope. Turns out the shelf took on so much water over 2+ decades of dripping water that it became misshapen and then "froze" in that position. Not froze as in ice frozen, but as in petrified frozen. Ah well, nobody said this was going to be easy. I abandoned that endeavor - then turned to do some cleaning. I cleaned all the windows, then attempted cleaning some more of the interior vinyl. That didn't work out so well either. Then it occurred to me that if I was going to get any driving time in I had better get to it.

I ceased all work on the old car for the day and turned to the fun part - driving! I fired her up and took her out. Earlier, when I was in the trunk fooling around with the rear shelf I felt the spare tire - it felt a bit squishy. I got my digital tire pressure gauge and checked it - 13.5 lbs.! That simply wouldn't do - my first stop was the gas station, where I got some gas and some air. Then I took off - what a ride! Only about 35 miles today, but it sure was nice. Being a rather cool day, I had all the windows closed and the heat on - the first time I have really driven with the windows closed. It just magnifies the feeling of power of the car - the high rpm rumble of the engine out on the open highway, supercharger whistling away. Just a happy day driving the old fast car. Can't wait to do it again!

post-81474-143139245215_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139245231_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139245244_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139245258_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139245272_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139245286_thumb.jpg

post-81474-1431392453_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143139245314_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313924533_thumb.jpg

Guest Foggy norm

Hi Chris, Yeah, I'm still reading, been a while. It's been year's since I was a gas-jockey. That STP does stop oil consumption, Ill attest to that from observation's working at the gas station. However there were horror storie's about the stuff also, mechanic's didn't want to work on engine's that used the stuff, everything was coated internally. That was year's ago, maybe it's different now....norman