1955 or 1956 Buick?

tigersdad

I'd say one is as good as the other. The Super is a larger, heavier car which will have a nicer ride, whereas the Century is the smaller Special body with the Roadmaster 4-barrel engine. The 1956 has one problem in that the brake master cylinder is a one-year-only design and therefore replacements and rebuild kits are very difficult to find. Someone else may know of a source that I don't know of, but for me the difficulty of finding master cylinder parts on a '56 makes me think twice before buying one.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Does Chrome and a lot of it appeal to you? If not, the 56 Super has less intrusive chrome trim than either the 55 Century and Super, or the 56 Century.

Pete has a good point about the master cylinder. However I am happy to report that the M/C on at least my 56 has been very reliable.

Jay, You might be refering to rear axle problems. I don't know what the problem was but I'm sure any 54 you find that is still runing today has had this issue resolved. The rear axle was all new for 56. And many 56's had, or can be fitted with, dual exhaust. Earlier cars may need frame modifications to beef up the exhaust.

Still, most any of this tri year combination, and many other years also, are wonderful cars!

PS:

Mr. Earl-

Didn't the '54's have some transmission problems?

Jay

Not that I am aware of. At least no more than typical Dynaflow leaking like every other year. Granted, in the 50's every year of Dynaflow was an improvement over the previous so 55 was a little better than 54 and 56 was a lot better than 55 but hey you got to trade off something. At least with '54 Roadmaster you get the most beautiful, sexiest Buick ever built. Come on in and let me show you what we for sale today, we'll put you in a fitty fo you can hit the Buick Highway in tomorrow http://forums.aaca.org/f117/mrearl-wants-you-54-buick-297774-2.html

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Keep your eye on this baby this weekend

1954 buick roadmaster - Trovit Cars

I am pretty sure this car is the same as this one that I passed up for 10 grand back in 02. Talked to this gentleman out in California for several weeks but he wouldn't budge. He'd had it since new. He had an Edmunds dual quad intake with 2 Carters on it he wanted another grand for. Will be interesting to see what it brings.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, now back to the boring discussions of ol 55's and 56's. :D

post-31987-143138667327_thumb.jpg

post-31987-14313866733_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Lamar,

I saw a similar car coming up for sale at Barrett-Jackson this coming weekend in Las Vegas. And, yes, I must say, that '54 is a really good looking car! I'm curious to see what the Barrett-Jackson car will sell for?! Your pictures show the true colors. Check out the Las Vegas auction. The roof is a deeper blue. The car also has spoked wheels. A real beauty! Jay

Edited by tigersdad (see edit history)

You know of any Fo sale? It needs to be a rag top, in good drivable condition, and, like the baby chicks say, Cheep, Cheep, Cheep! :D Dandy Dave!

LOL DD. You may as well require a Marilyn Monroe look-a like too since a drivable ragtop, cheap, is surely a major fantasy.