That darned eBay!

Just having trouble tonight looking at older Stude items on eBay. I have a site bookmarked for 1937 Studebaker, and tonight there are 44 items on that site, of which 7 are for 37's, and the rest are a conglomeration of junky stuff that have nothing to do with parts for the car. Does this bother anyone else?

Yes, it's getting worse and worse. One thing that helps is to remove words from your search, using a minus sign in front of the word. Thus "-cover" eliminates all car covers from search. I've also used "-fits", but that's a gamble, as there might be a real part that is described as fits your 19xx Gogomobile.

Ebay at one time policed the use of too many descriptive words, so that you wouldn't have all the extra stuff show up, but that's long gone....

Guest GeorgeCagle

I've noticed changes also. I usually search Vintage Car and Truck Parts and search on "193* Studebaker". For the last year I always get back 7 pages of results. No more, no less. It seems rigged. I have found some "diamonds in the rough" but I always have to dig through 7 pages.

George

I've always wanted to order an "oxygen sensor" or some other highly-touted part that was never existed for a pre-war Studebaker and then sue for false advertising. I don't think they have car covers for all the models they claim, either.

If I select "auctions only" that cuts down the item count by 90-95%, though it's possible I could miss something worthwhile.

Gary,

I guess we have to make the best of this bad situation. Some vendors probably do not give a rip, about where the stuff they sell is shown, as long as it is shown to as many poeple as possible. I wonder if some of that stuff is even found in womens clothing? Most of us are just frustrated and pass it off as waisted time. Come on EBAY.....listen.

Al

Tonight: 50 items, 3 actual 1937 items, not counting the generator brushes which have been on there for years. Boy do I need a "suicide knob" or especially a 12V fan (fits 1937 Studebaker) it says. OK, enough. I'll let it go. What a bunch of crap though.

i've been a buyer and seller on ebay for years and have bought 90% of my ole gal (48 ford)parts and have turned around and sold old car/truck parts from swap meets/flea markets and picked and pulled stuff...without any significant trouble in my particular catagory(48 ford)85 dodge ram(65 elcamino) some catagory's of vintage vehicles are unfortunately a lot to be desired because of their general scarcisty . i just save the search option in "my ebay" and check email me with alerts when new parts are auctioned and check daily.

hi, ebay gives sellers way too much leeway in creating listings. to further reduce the undesired crap on ebay after you've typed in the year and make, hit the spacebar one time and type -fits this will get rid of all the crap that says "will fit". lucky for me, i've been searching on ebay motors for 12 years now, once in great while, a real rare find comes up in a listing. my newest catch is a complete NOS 1953-54 pontiac chieftain radio and power supply, still in it's original detroit lab box. seller wanted $549.00, but took my offer of $250.00 charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I have seen this 'trick' about using -fits on several forums now. From time to time we sell extra Studebaker parts left over from a few dealers stocks on eBay, and I use that word a lot. Guess I'll have to get the Thesaurus out and find some subsitutes. :)

Edited by r1lark
spelling (see edit history)

• 2 months later...