Factory markings

Guest billybird

Guest billybird

I see a lot of restorations that have duplicated the factory paint/chaulk marks on items such as the firewall, rearend, etc. I'm not agaist it. In fact I think it is impressive. My question is: when did the manufacturers start with these marks? I'm thinking after WWII? Anybody know? Whats the oldest car you have seen with a factory mark on it?

I see a lot of restorations that have duplicated the factory paint/chaulk marks on items such as the firewall, rearend, etc. I'm not agaist it. In fact I think it is impressive. My question is: when did the manufacturers start with these marks? I'm thinking after WWII? Anybody know? Whats the oldest car you have seen with a factory mark on it?

Both of my 1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupes have these chalk markings inside the rear roof quarter..."Marquette Blue DH BC" for the paint code and body style.

post-37352-143138577286_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138577295_thumb.jpg

The Egyptians used such marks on their chariots. Old carriages and furniture often have marks in the form of Xs, circles, wavy lines etc to help match up parts where they fit together.

Archaeologists recently discovered that the Egyptians built sea going trading ships that were meant to be taken apart and put back together again. No doubt the parts bore some kind of markings.

Here's a trivia question for you. If you've ever been in an old barn with hand hewn beams you will notice that the beams are usually numbered with Roman numerals. Obviously they used the numbering system to aid in assembling the various beams etc but why the Roman numerals? I know, does anyone else?

Here's a trivia question for you. If you've ever been in an old barn with hand hewn beams you will notice that the beams are usually numbered with Roman numerals. Obviously they used the numbering system to aid in assembling the various beams etc but why the Roman numerals? I know, does anyone else?

Just a guess only: Roman numerals can all be made with straight lines that are easy to cut with a chisel. But Arabic numerals (mis-named as they actually originated in India) need curved lines.

I guess it's safe to say that it started well before WWII.:)

When I took the dog-house apart on my 1940 Packard, inside was the hand-written marking "Sup 8 A/C", meaning Super 8 with air-conditioning.

Just to make sure someone installed the condenser before installing the radiator.

A few years back I had a seat that came off an original 1907 Buick roadster. There were chalk/paint marks on the bottom that you could see after it was separated from the the main body. As I recall it was marked Job # and two digits.It was also raw wood on the bottom, no paint.--Bob