Who got you interested in cars, and how?

I posted a lengthy discussion on how I got started with fixing old cars under the Jay Leno thread. I thought this subject needed it's own thread, so lets hear from you. I would love to hear your stories. grin.gif" border="0

I remember standing on the left front frame rail of my Dad's, I believe, '39 Mercury Convertible sanding one spot on the cowl. I had it slick. My Dad had bought the car to restore but with work and working a lot of overtime never got much done to it. He sold the car. Then we got a '69 Linclon Mark III (think that was right year and Mark #). After a period of time sold it. Then he bought a 1949 Willys Jeepster. By this time I'm like about 13-14. All this time my parents have been invovled in the Early V-8 club and AACA. One year the one club was taking a 1,000 mile trip from Rochester, NY to Detriot. Dad had bought a rebiult engine for the Jeepster and since we were going to take the car we swapped the engine. 8 mile after the swap we were headed to Detriot. No major problems. Well now I was hooked on old cars. Took Auto Tech in high school and in college. Dad sold his Jeepster last year sue to leg problems and it having a manual tranny. He joined me and my "fleet" by buying a '63 Chevrolet Chevy II 400 Nova convertible to go along with my '63 Chevy II 400 Nova 2dr htp, '63 Chevy II 400 Nova 4dr sedan, '63 Chevy II 100 station wagon.

It was also my father who lead me down the path of antique cars. I remember our first car, a 1941 Cadillac. Between that and my own first car, dad had 20 or 30 different cars from 1915 to 1958 including Packards, Pierce Arrows, Model Ts, a Gardenr, A Hupmobile or two, and many others. My direction was and is a little different as I primarily play with early brass era cars, but the basic love comes from dad! Probably his greatest gift to me!

When I was in fourth grade I remember buying a copy of Tad Burness' <I>Auto Album</I> through the Scholastic Book Service. Why or how I got interested in that book, I don't remember. I read that little thing so many times it nearly fell apart. I still have it.<P>From that point on it was mainly reading what I could find and car spotting that kept me interested. My family and friends really had no clue. To this day I've not really had an older mentor in this hobby. My father was a mechanic, and passed on his knowledge and skills, but he still has virtually no interest in old cars. It wasn't until high school that I began to meet up with like-minded people. <P>I think in large part it's a mind-set that people are born with. Some of us had it brought out by others, some discover it on our own. I know that trying to preserve bits and pieces of the past led to a career in the environmental sciences, and an interest in all sorts of historical items. But preserving automobiles to me is something that is preserving something essentially American: a true expression of freedom. <P>I wish others could understand that.

Wow, it seems to be a common thing for old Dad to have a role in starting the "itch" as I like to call it.<P>For me my Dad did'nt really foster my fascination other than buying me tools for birthdays etc.<P>I remember one Christmas (I think I was 15) getting nothing but parts individually wrapped for a $100 dirt bike that I bought. The bike was part of a package deal one of my friends Dad had wrangled. My friend got a (semi) running 1979 175 Can-Am Qualifier complete, and I bought the basket case 1981 Yamaha IT175 that was part of the package. <P>There were a few pieces missing from the basket (gears, exhaust pipe etc.) and this is what I got for Christmas that year. I still remember sitting under the tree that night test fitting the cases together since I had the all important gears to complete the assembly.<P>That summer my bike was running, and my friends was not. He ended up buying another running bike just so he could go riding with me, but that is another story.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

My dad is a graduate of Georgia Tech. I remember going to football games and watching the "Ramblin' Wreck", a '30 or '31 Model A Ford Sport Coupe drive across the field carrying all the cheerleaders. I couldn't say that this is what got me interested, but it is certainly one of the first exposures to antique vehicles that I can remember. I have always liked old things. If they are mechanical, then all the better.<P>My hands on involvement in the antique car hobby is rather recent. My company moved three years ago. I was building a work shop behind our new house to continue a project I had started in the old location, a homebuilt airplane. My wife brought the phone to me on the roof of the new shop building. It was my sister. She and her husband were moving into a condo and had to sell the old ragged Model A Town Sedan that had been in their garage for 12 years. It had been his father's, who had bought it in fair condition in the '60's. It had since fallen into a state of disrepair and needed a total restoration. My brother in law just never had anything done to it, but he did keep it inside. <P>Back to the point. I bought it from them and started doing the restoration. It has been a larger job than I thought when I first started, but it is coming along. I was looking at some "before" photos this weekend and realized that they were only about a year old. It is amazing how much better it is now. Kind of motivated me.<P>The airplane is now on the back burner and will probably stay there. The cars are a lot more fun and cost less.<p>[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: MODEL A HAL ]

My dad wasn't the least bit mechanical. His interests lay in the natural sciences. I would set up the projector for him when he showed films to his classes. He never owned an automobile until I was in seventh grade. He never learned to drive and forbid my mother to after she took the car through a barbed wire fence turning into our dirt drive.<BR>I remember tinkering with the car when problems developed that I thought I could fix. I really messed up the hydraulic brake lines at the master cylinder on one occasion. Brake fluid was leaking everywhere! Fortunately the local garage was able to repair it for him.<BR>When I bought my first car, a co-worker helped me eliminate a "miss" that the dealer had not been able to fix. From then on, I began to do my own repairs. This includes both antiques and modern cars. I make plenty of mistakes and often take a long time; but usually have the satisfaction of getting things right! smile.gif" border="0 <BR>jnp

In my case, I never became interested in old cars, it was a way of life. I have never known anything else, so it wasn't a passion that was developed, it was all just as much a part of me as my own flesh and blood. Although I am a new member of AACA, and my father has been in and out of AACA from time to time (because of his schedule), we're here. My father has had a fleet of antique vehicles long before I was around. Over the years we've bought and sold a lot of them, but we've had and kept a lot of them. Up until the last 15 years or so, all of our cars were in unrestored condition and mainly sat in two different storage buildings collecting dust. Right now we have a total of 15 different vehicles (including our daily drivers), seven of them are unrestored, two of them are currently being restored, and the rest of them are in good condition and drivable. Although some of them could stand some detailing, or some minor "freshening up" everything is pretty good. I think one of the best projects involves our last restoration, a 1937 Plymouth PT-50 pickup. My father bought that truck in 1963, drove it in good weather throughout the 60's. In the early 70's it had farm plates on it and was used in good weather for hauling stuff to the dump once in a while until 1973. In 1974 the truck's use was limited to occassionally pulling it out of the barn and letting it run once in a while. In August, 1982 the truck went into storage where it remained untouched and unmoved until August, 2000. On September 8, 2000 the truck was torn down, and received a total frame off restoration. On June 1, 2001 the truck was taken to the AACA Spring Meet in Johnstown, Pennsylvania (University of Pittsburgh) where it took its' first junior on its' first attempt at an AACA show. My father used to put gas in this very same truck when he worked in a gas station as a teenager (1958 - Lima, NY) and even has pictures of me standing on the seat back when I was four years old (I'll be 34 in June). To see a vehicle that was known as nothing other than a tired old farm truck for my entire life, to become a national winner, has been very rewarding. When the truck has been kept in the family for 39 of its' 65 years, who in their right mind could make a rod out of it?

My Uncle is the man who got me and my 2 brothers interested in cars.<BR>I remember him coming to visit with the lates cars always. I can remember Jaguars, Mustangs, and an occasional Hot Rod. <BR>He also had a Model T that he stored in the barn. When he was going to be at home for a while he would get that out and let us drive it.<BR>As we got older we tended to gravitate towards the British Leyland products. He would help us in our endevours to keep these running.<BR>I went and saw him last year and he still has the same model T and also a Model A hot rod, so even at 70 he hasn't changed.

Well, these are the topics I love to reply to. My father was the one who jump started my love for cars. He currently owns a 1965 Pontiac GTO [red w/ black int]. I started working on his GTO by just turning a wrench on the inside fender wells. Then he had me sanding and wire brushing at age five. It was a blast. Now I own a 1964 Chevrolet SS Impala smile.gif" border="0. All that dad had me do on his GTO is paying off on my Impala. It is a real treat to own an American classic and to rebuild and restore.<P>Matt Coppens<BR>1964 Chevrolet Impala SS

Quite a lesson in history from all of you. It would seem that you are either born with or not. Kind of echoes my expierience in my 1st level of machine shop, there were some students who took the course and then later dropped out. It was obvious they didn't have "it" and it wasn't hard to figure out who they were.<P>I had mentioned before that some of the most famous people of our time were artists trained in mechanics who could see beyond the components and appreciate the beauty of the structure. <P>There must be something about how a hot rod sits just right and looks "mean", or how an old Model A windshield post has just the right rake that the people of this forum can appreciate. <P>I wonder if the designers of these old cars ever envisioned how us lovers of the sport would look upon their products with such admiration and love.<P>Perhaps I'm turning into an old fuddy duddy but there are few places on this earth where a bunch of people can get together and look at each others creations and share expieriences and appreciate each others work. <P>Cars/planes/boats/motorcycles etc. seem to bring this out of people as any car meet participant can tell you. I'm reminded of a local car show I took my 4 yr old son to recently, he had taken a shine to a really pristine 250 ferrari. The car was surrounded by a 4 ft perimeter rope barrier and for good reason, I would have touched it myself if I could.<P>I crouched beside him and explained what little I knew about this car, he asked me in a whisper if he could sit in that car. I told him that the owner probably wouldn't like it and that the car was worth a lot of money, that's why there was a fence around it.<P>The owner was on the other side talking to another participant when he noticed my sons saucer eyes. The old timer walked over and asked my son if he liked cars, he nodded profusely.<P>He then asked me if it was alright if he let my boy sit in the car. With a jealous smile I said sure. He gingerly took his hand hoisted him over the rope and walked him over to the car. <P>I thought my boy would pee his pants he was so excited, he then helped him into the car and put an old helmet on him and closed the door. He leaned in and showed him all the controls and how the shifter worked and then walked away to let him play unsupervised.<P>He came over and we just watched him and chit chatted about cars in general and the weather. After about 5 minutes my boy waved to us that he was ready to come out, as he walked back with the man he stuck out his little mit to shake the ferrari owners hand. Something I never had seen him do before, he slipped under the rope and we walked away without saying a word. <P>We walked around the show for a while and I looked to see if the old guy was letting other kids sit in his pride and joy, nope not a one. <P>Maybe you can spot "it" from a mile away, I learned to start looking.

Great story daMachinist - I've had the same thing happen with my sons when they were littler. Not necessarily on the subject but related to the story, back a few years ago at Hershey there was a wonderful Model 34 (can't remember what year) Marmon touring. The sign on the windshield was "I'm old and I like people, please touch me". People would read the sign, smile and very tenderly just touch the car.<P>My wife Sally is a children's librarian. She frequently sets up storytelling sessions about cars at the public library and at schools. A couple of us will take our cars and after the stories were told the kids would come out to see them. They have always respectfully just looked, but the excitement when we ask if they want a ride it's just magic. wink.gif" border="0

That's a great question. It seems that I've always been interested in old cars. Probably the most influential car in my memory bank is the '31 Model A Ford Cabriolet my Dad had during WWII. Even though he had a pretty new '39 Studebaker Commander when the war started, he seemed to drive the Model A mostly during the war. Maybe it got better gas milage under rationing. Anyway, that car made a profound impression on me that lasts to this day. In fact it was so strong that I finally bought my very own Model A almost 2 years ago. I had to have one. <BR>The other thing is that since my parents had 3 sons and one daughter, the subject most often discussed at the dinner table was CARS. It even rubbed off on my sister.<BR>Anyway, I guess my dad had the most profound impression on me. I can't ever remember any time when antique cars didn't grab me.<BR>Roger smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

My father introduced me to the hobby. It fits in with his having grown up in the Depression, you never throw anything away, including broken down Model T's. If it has some worth, save it. (That is why I go to local flea markets, yard sales and autions.) He was much more active when I was younger, as I was able to drive myself to Hershey, he scalled back. He now comes to the best events, like Macungie in August and the local picnics. smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: SalG ]

Lesson #1, share our sport with the little ones, they are the ones who will keep it alive. Hopefully soon, before the bureacrats have their way.

I never used to be really interested in cars - in fact, I was deathly afraid of oil. My young (2-4 years), analytical mind found out that oil was poisonous, and so to touch it meant death. I know better now, but I suppose it taught me to be respectful of safety. Or something. tongue.gif" border="0<P>Anyway...<P>I grew up (until I was almost 5) in a small college town in Ohio, so I didn't really get much exposure to cars at all. They remained a fascination for me, though, as did most things mechanical, even though the pinnacles of my automotive experience were a Mercury Lynx, a Ford Pinto, and a maroon Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.<P>Every once in a while, however, we went to visit my grandparents at their farm. In the garage there, for as long as I can remember, were an Oldsmobile Starfire and a jet black Desoto (from the last production year). I never saw them run. In fact, I don't think I ever saw them with more than two wheels on them at once. These magnificent specimens (to me anyway) were a far cry from the cars of the mid-'80s that traversed the streets. I suppose you could say they inspired me. More on them later.<P>When we moved to Michigan, nothing much changed, except I lost my fear of oil when I slipped and got bicycle chain greas all over my leg. To my surprise, it didn't kill me. I still don't enjoy being greasy all over, but I can at least tolerate it. The annual old car festival (very big, people come from across the country, last year there were around 400 cars, IIRC - all the streets were filled) in our town just helped the interest kindle in the background...<P>Until a few years ago, my interest in cars really faded off. Cars were for transportation, and that was it. I wasn't anywhere near excited about getting my license, and put that off until last summer, when I was almost 18. Here's what instigated that:<P>For some reason, I suddenly became interested in cars when my grandpa sold the Olds and Desoto to a private car museum. We went down to see them after the Olds was fully restored. It was magnificent. This little car museum had some of the most beautiful cars I'd ever seen. Then, about a year later, the museum owner decided to shut the place down. Luckily, my grandpa still had some attachment to his cars, and went to the auction. He tried to buy back the Starfire, but someone *way* overbid him. He did get the Desoto back, though, along with an old Vega with less than 5000 miles on it.<P>During this time (two Augusts ago), I decided I needed my own car. Being a little picky, I wasn't going to settle for just anything. I wanted something individual. My grandparents called, and said one of their friends was selling her old Buick Park Avenue, so I went down to take a look. I gave it a quick inspection and a once around the block, and basically said, "I'll take it!" I had no money, so my dad footed the bill until I could pay it off after 2 years of summer work programming. We worked a good deal out for insurance, fuel, and repair costs (that will last through college - he pays for insurance and all liquids, but I have to pay for parts), and now I own the car. And I love it.<P>Back to my grandpa: Anyway, I was talking to him and my aunt (who is a bit of a car junkie, but doesn't do much actual work on them), and the subject of the two cars in the garage came up. Turns out that me and my aunt are the only people in our entire family who are interested in either of the cars, and she wants the Vega. Woohoo!!! That means that I will someday get the Desoto. It'll be my first real project car, hopefully after I have money that I can spend on it.<P>Anyway, I guess the person who actually got me interested was my grandpa, but my dad was a good influence too, as he almost always did all of his own repairs.<P>That wasn't very coherent, was it?<P>Ah well. Maybe someday I'll be able to write as well as you, Chuck. grin.gif" border="0

Very eloquent and a wonderful story Laser. Sounds like a great car you are going to get eventually.<P>The first car I ever got to drive for any period of time was my Mom's. I remember when she bought it, it was from a girlfriend of hers who was buying a newer car. <P>She drove it over one day for my Mom to have a look at and for Dad to kick the tires, I think I was 16 or so. When I eventually went outside to have a look myself I saw the most pristine 1971 Chrysler New Yorker I had ever seen. The original dark forest green paint job was still perfect, 1983 was not a good year for cars but THIS was a car!<P>When I opened the hood and a 440 with a holley 600 cfm carb in absolutely original condition stared back, she purred like a kitten. Dad was not impressed, he was a Ford man and his 78 Cougar XR7 paled in comparison which he did not like.<P>Mom saw this and asked me what I thought, I said buy it, she would look cool driving it. She paid $1500 for it and Dad went into the house to sulk.<P>Me and Mom (who had just learned to drive) drove her girlfriend home and we cruised the entire afternoon just her and I. The car was loaded with every option, rear heat, four speaker am radio, air conditioning, power seats and the best of all power windows.<P>When you rolled all four windows down you could swear you were in a convertible, they were that big. When she let me drive that day (I only had my beginners) I took her to the local cruising spot and drove her through reeaal slow. <P>I don't think she realized what a nice car it was until all the rodders whistled and hooted as we drove by. I turned and looked and Mom was blushing like a little girl, me and Mom bonded that day. We had something over Dad and I think she needed that.<P>As I got older she would let me have it "to clean" and I would take it out on the highway "to clean the carbon out". I spent a lot of time jetting and tuning that Holley carb to get a few more ponies, so much so that I still have all the parts. More than once I had it over 125, but don't tell Mom.<P>I remember one weekend Mom and I were at the lake and Dad drove it out from the city, when he got there he said the speedo had broke, Mom sent me out to have a look. He broke it alright it was right off the end. Dad's Cougar barely did 115 mph and I think he now knew who was Queen of the Jungle. I didn't tell Mom.<P>When I graduated High school I met my soon to be wife, we fell deeply in love in that car. That big bench seat up front let her snuggle right up close. Also the seats reclined almost flat making one huge, uhh... sofa. Yea, that's the word. Don't you dare tell Mom.<P>Well time goes on, Mom and Dad split up and I moved out. When the old boat started to have some serious mechanical problems. It became my job to put her down, I didn't have a place to keep her so I reluctantly towed her to the junkyard behind my 74 Honda Civic (honest). She still ran like a top, only the trans was shot and cancer had got the best of her. <P>Before I handed the keys over to the jerk behind the counter, I took that magnificient Holley carb off and told him he could have everything but that. He sweared at me and said I was a prick, I should have told his Mom.<P>See life is all about carburators, Man. <BR>That's what I told Mom.

Well I like hearing about the folks behind the cars as much as the cars themselves.<P>I guess I could say my interest in cars came from my dad also. He was into street rods in the 50's and bought an old Chevy to customize, but never got to it and could not part with it. Dad had all the old rodder and customizer magazines from the 50's including some with "how to" articles from the Barris customizing shop. I grew up enjoying looking at the old mag collection and putting model cars together. When I hit the age of "enlightenment" (16) I pushed to get the old heap of a car out of the barn to work on.<P>I was left pretty much on my own to work through the restoration and was able to complete it. (see my website for the looong version). It was that feeling of trying new things, and a willingness to learn that keeps me interested even today. Like many I get as much a "rush" working and researching a project as driving the finished car around. Although I have a later model car I hope to restore someday (66 Corvette), I really grin.gif" border="0 plan to continue to foster the interest I have in the older cars though - brass to early 30's. I just wonder if the same opportunity to aquire a decent unrestored car of that vintage is still out there as they were 30 years ago? I would like to introduce my 2 daughters to the hobby and show them an example of a brass car somewhere other than a museum or estate sale. <P>Does anyone out there expect that the vintage cars will remain "holed up" forever or will the hobby go through a resergence in the interest and they will come out again??<BR>The hobby has gotten much larger (I like all years) ,but hopefully not at the expense of the some of the early year cars.<P>Thanks for the opportunity to share..

3 Things:<P>1-I got interested in old cars at around age 10. There were no family members interested in old cars or even mechanically inclined to work on their newer drivers. Around age 10, I walked with my Dad to a very small, local, 1 time only car show at the opening of a new shopping plaza. Near the show, I heard something really neat that I had never heard before. I turned around and saw a small red car with nice brass radiator and lights chuffing up the road with 2 very happy occupants. I still don't know exactly what the car was, but that started it all. I never had any training in mechanics, I started by reading a Chilton's manual over and over and talking with friends and their fathers who knew about cars. Mostly from reading, I now do much of my own mechanical work, short of machining and fabrication, but have found help when needed.<P>2-Spotting that future car nut. I was at a local car show a few years ago with my 21 Stearns-Knight 7 passenger touring. Although it is not worth 10% of that Ferrari, it is still not a playground. But there was this one girl, about 10 years old, and her dad, who stopped to look at the Stearns 3 times. By the 3rd time, I asked them if they had any questions and they had plenty. I answered all their questions and then some. I then had her sit behind the wheel and showed them how it all worked. They though the folding jump seats were neat. They were grateful and left happy, with a good story to tell their friends, too. Of the hundreds of people at that show, their interest really stood out, no one else seemed to want to know the details. Maybe they now have an old car project.<P>3-I am age 38. My wife is 35. Son age 8. Daughter age 4. We all love old car rides!<P>Dave smile.gif" border="0

More great stories from some great people. You know model cars wasn't really mentioned before and it certainly is a factor that contributed to my facination with old cars.<P>I can remember the hours we would spend going through a model kit and seeing what parts from one kit would look like on another. Heck, I would save my hard earned "allowance" just to buy a kit that had a set of rims and tires that I liked.<P>I had a number of cars/battleships/warbirds lined up on my bureau to showcase my skills and I loved spending entire weekends holed up trimming and masking and glueing together my next creation.<P>I wonder if many youngsters are still into modelling, certainly it is much harder to get the glue for sticking them together! I never understood why anyone would rather sniff the glue than create dreams with it. <P>This fact has probably ruined an entire generations chances to express themselves and prevented more youngsters from joining the sport and gaining an interest.

My earliest automotive memory is leaving a dealership with Mom and Dad in a brand new 1953 Buick twodoor hardtop. I was two years old and the Buick cost Dad $2,796.88.Dad built a lot of the early horseless carriage kits that Gowland & Gowland made, later Revell bought out the series. I guess durring this time Dad showed me photos of his Dad in a 1912 Regal Underslung, his 1928 Chrysler roadster, 1935 Ford sedan and the 1937 Harley 45. Some time in 1958 or '59, Dad took me to my first antique car show. It was held in town at Ray Keelers place, and was the Westchester Region AACA spring event. Same club that will host an AACA National Meet later this year. This show was great, I got to see the real cars Dad had been building models of. The local Caddy dealer had his 1903 with the long wicker baskets on the side, Jimmy Melton had his 1907 Rolls, and a local plumber had his 1913 Mercer Raceabout. Austie Clark drove a 1910 Cadillac Coupe up from Long Island. This was my first show, and boy did it make an impression on me! In 1961 Dad replaced the Buick with a new Ford fourdor hardtop and the family started to take more road trips. Dad also bought a 1931 Ford roadster, something he wanted since 1932.I put down two quarters and bought my first issue of Hot Rod, July, with the Beach Boys Coupe on the cover. I think I built every AMT car model there was. I won the Boys Club model contest three times in a row, and was then banned from entering.One Sunday we went to see the drag races at Dover Dragstrip, I had no way of knowing that someday I'd own the Lyndwood rail that dominated the B/D class at that strip. In 1961 the local HCCA fall meet came to Ridgefield, it was the BEST pre war car show on the East Coast. That is where I got hooked for good on old cars. When I was 12 or so, I saw a 1912 T at a sidewalk sale, I must have asked the correct questions, and I was offered a ride around town it. Twenty five years would pass before I was able to buy it. Dad and I went to Hershey for the first time in 1969, and I desided it was time to join AACA. That covers my early automotive experiences. The 1937 Harley is being restored in memory of Dad.<p>[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: 1937hd45 ]

I have always been into cars, even as a kid. When I got out of school, I wanted a convertible. Unfortunately, convertibles were discontinued before I graduated. After looking for a few months, I decided on a 1964 Imperial Hardtop. I have had her for 24 years now and I enjoy driving her whenever I can. grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Michael J. Kupstas ]

Chuck da Machinist - I bet you had several old model boxes full of left over parts ---you know extra parts left over from the "stock or custom version" kits. When I cleaned out my parent's attic several years ago I pitched about 6 boxes full of leftover parts from model building days that my dad and I had collected over 15 years. I never should have done that.<BR> Also... if you find a glue that works as well as the old "Testors" please let me know, I need to glue the trim and tailights onto my Chevy. tongue.gif" border="0

I am one of those 'born with it' folks. It's a really weird thing, which I'll get to in a bit.<BR>I played with toy cars almost exclusively when I was a child. At the age of 5, I could name any car on the road, to the point I was actually arguing with my father over 'spottings' when he was wrong. <BR>My father was a farm boy who had some mechanical aptitude, but as I grew older and taught myself mechanics (which I have a natural knack for) I realized he really was just muddling through with a basic understanding. It's almost shameful how much I teach him about things these days.<BR>My entire world revolved around turning 16 and getting a license. I spent time hanging around an antique car restoration shop and got to see some really interesting work. I've been able to appreciate all kinds of cars and as an adult it aggravates me that I can't make a decision about which way to go in the hobby? Old truck, fifties fins, pre-war, sports, muscle...so many avenues to choose from. <BR>Anyway, I know it's genetic because I was an adopted child. I was able to reunite with my birth mother and her family, and found that each of her brothers is a car junkie as are her husband, my half brother and darn near everyone they know. Mom herself had a '68 Coronet she showed when we met. So, it is in the genes. <BR>One point--I agree in showing the younger generation the cars and explaining things to promote their interest. I had very few such occurrences when I was growing up, but those I did have made lasting impressions.<P>Dwight, age 36

This is a neat topic. My interest in cars started with a 22 Buick roadster. It wore out so I couldn't fix it. At this time I was just starting high school. I then traded for 3 Model T fords- 2 roadsters 1 touring. Brakes werte lousy on them. Remember using reverse to help slow down. Sold yhe T's to some other high school kid and purchased a 31 Model A roadster. A fellow who worked for Dad o0n our small ranch taught me about rebuilding motor and how to sand and paint it. I then got into the Hot Rods of the ww-II era. Sold the Roadster and got a 34 ford coupe. It had suicide doors.Got a Eddie Meyer manifold for two Stromberg 97's, Meyer High compression Heads, a cam but can't remember which make. Took that coupe thru the traps on Lake mirage at 142 mph. I got involved with street drag racing but began to get some brains about where speed was involved. Moved on to dirt track racing. By this time was in college. Stopped dirt track racing after my car driven by a friend was one of three who made it by the pits when the 4th car spun out and was hit by the next car. when the mess was over there were 7 cars involved. The driver of car 4 was thrown out and run over. I was first person to reach him and the sight was not pretty.Went home artef race and removed engine from car and sold the chassis. Put engine in a v hull 17 ft runabout and used it for a waterski boat. During these times had picked some Floyd Clymer books about old cars. I enrolled in General Motors Institute in Flint, Mi and graduated in 50. Got married and was invol;ved in raising a family. I was working as service mgr for the local GMC agency. One day my Mom called from Iowa to tell me she had heard of an Overland for sale and wondered if I was interested. Of course I was. I spoke to the farmer who owned it. After discussion I bought it over phone. When I drove to Iowa to get it found it was stored in an old chicken house with chickens roosting on it. Was full of manure to the level of the seat cushions. Any how loaded it on the trailer and returned to Az.<BR>I unloaded the car and changed oil put in water and gas and fired it up. It ran fair but not well.<P> Went to the regular HCCA club meeting and we had a short tour. Couldn't keep enough gas in it to tour. Figured mileage was 10 gal per mile. Put car away until I had time to work on it. When I started restoration I found the body wood was so rotten that I could push nails into all the lower wood. The restoration is another story.<P>My interest in old cars has held up from the early years. Have been a Pontiac & GMC Truck dealer. During the years of raising a family I kept active in auto repair. As spare time projects I have restored a 14 T, 31 Model A roadster, the Overland which I still have, a 29 closed cab Model A pickup, and am now restoring a 31 Model A roadster. This one I plan to enjoy for myself. <P>I have been lucky to always have a shop to work in at home and have done all types repair over the years. It seems that the auto bug just stays with me.

I gave all my modelling supplies away at a garage sale that I had and basically gave one kit away to every young kid that managed to get up early enough to go garage "sailing" with the parents. I didnt have the heart to throw the stuff away.<P>I had a good time just going through the kits the night before making sure everything was in the correct box and making sure the instructions were there. Funny how things have not changed, most of the kits were in partial stages of completion just like all the projects in my garage-sigh!<P>The glue I used to use was a chemical called acetate (I think). A friend had a guy who worked in a chemical supply facility who would sell 1 quart in dark medicine bottles and we would split up the liquid amongst ourselves. I remember taking a two hour bus ride with my friend to the industrial park on the far side of town just to get the "magic" elixir.<P>I may be wrong about the chemical but the stuff evaporated like mad and had a powerful smell, it glued styrene very strongly. It was thin like water so the glue lines were undetectable with a matte finish unlike "testors".<P>Some of the automotive history that I have read here has absolutely astounded me, I admit I have very little knowledge of cars before the fifties and even less hands on expierience. <P>I look forward to being a wide eye apprentice to all of you here and maybe learn more of the history that helped make our countries great.<P>I think the next family vacation will be spent coming to the various car shows all over the states, I have 3 little ones I have to "infect" before I kick the bucket and I couldn't think of a better bunch of folks to handle this than all of you.<P>If you see a wide grinning goofy looking guy with an outstretched hand full of scars from the hot metal that has made a mark, you can assume it's me.<P>And please, call me Chuck. That's what friends call me.

I don't know if I should confess how I got started with old cars. To set the stage, I am 44, born in the year of the '57 Chevy. My father was not mechanical, the most he ever did when it came to cars was to change a flat tire, and we had our fair share of them since my father always bought recaped tires, anyone remember old time recaped tires on the family sedan? Nothing gets you excited in the back seat of '50 Plymouth when the recap comes apart at about 60mph. <BR>Anyway, getting back to what got me started in old cars, when I was growing up there was a show on TV called the "Untouchables" with Robert Stack. I used to watch that TV show all the time. I got hooked on all the old cars they used. The hell with the plot, I just watched it for the old cars. This led to collecting anything that was old car related, from books to newspaper articles, and anything with old cars. When I reached my teens and got a drivers licenses I started looking for a car to buy. I found an ad in the paper for a Studebaker, never heard of one, did not know anything about them. I was a junior in High School and talked my parents into loaning me the money to buy a 1929 Studebaker Commander 4 door sedan with wood wheels in good solid running original condition. I had that '29 Commander until 1998. It was my Eliott Ness car. That car cost be the huge some of $1,500 (that was in 1974) And yes, I paid my parents every penny back. I did not know how to drive the thing, got my dad to drive it home. That was as much as he was willing to help. After that I was on my own. I drove it around for a couple years before I learned how to "double cluth" - I did not know anyone who could teach me, learned the hard way. To give an idea how non-mechanical I was, when I got the '29 I kept checking the oil and waiting until it reached the add mark before putting in oil. I nearly ruined the engine before I found out that the dip stick only has two marks on it Full and Empty. <BR>I have been hooked on old cars ever since, had 5 cars when I got out of high school, and at least one or two collector cars ever since. I guess I will be in this hobby to the end, all because of an old black and white TV program. Who says TV has no influence on the public?<P>Here is a picture of me at 16 with the '29 Studebaker my "Eliott Ness car":<P><BR> Profile_MH_02.jpg<p>[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Mark Huston ]

Guest De Soto Frank

Mark,<P>You had impeccable taste, as a teen! I'm quietly (not very)jealous!<P>When I was 17(1984), my first driver was Grandad's very tired 1954 Chevrolet 3/4 ton pick-up, which I had brush-painted w/ Rust-O-Leum (green, of course)! Boy did I get grief from my School-mates! (But some them weren't too proud to ask for rides, because they didn't have any wheels at all!)<P>I had been bugging my father for a "real" antique since I was about five, and almost had him talked into an uncle's '39 Lincoln Zephyr, for $150! (Dad didn't think it a wise investment 'cause the 12 had long ago been removed and replaced with a flatty-Ford V-8; still it was a solid car!)<P>That Stude looks really respectable; I hope that your interest in old cars continues.<P>Mine comes from my father always buying and driving "tired iron"; his first car in 1947 was the Family hand-me-down 1930 Chevrolet Standard Coupe (no rumble seat, disc wheels).<BR>Dad was one of 16 kids, and I think at least half of them learned to drive in that car; it was last seen with an Aunt down in Florida in the early '60s. They called it "the Bug" (way before anyone had heard of a "volkswagen"); Granpappy also had a 1929 Packard 9 passenger limousine (c 1937) that Grandmother referred to as "the Bus". Apparently, Pappy was not inclined to part with the cash for a decent battery, so trips to Church on Sunday usually began with as many little McMullens as were available getting behind "the Bus" and pushing until "Pappy" slipped the clutch and(hopefully) the motor caught!<P>Stories like these plus the one's from Grand-people on Mom's side of the Family (mostly Model-"T" stories) made quite an impression on me, from a very early age.<P>We also always did our own car work (still do), so I was out there getting dirty with Dad from the age of six or so.<BR>We always had cars around that were at least 20 years old, so it's just a natural part of my environment.<P>My wife is trying to change that a bit tongue.gif" border="0 ;<BR>but she makes the best biscuits I've ever tasted, so I'll listen to here at least a little bit!<P>Cheers! grin.gif" border="0

I'm the changeling in my family. I have always liked things that are old, while the rest of the bunch chased the latest and greatest of everything. I'm the one with an older home, and it's decorated in Mission style and antiques. Is it any wonder then that I accepted a ride in a 1939 Buick Special from a nice, older gentleman? The rest is history, as they say. wink.gif" border="0 <P>My one regret is that I have never had a chance to get my hands dirty. My father did a lot of his own minor car repairs, but he didn't encourage me or my sisters (no brothers) to help much. He probably thought he'd get done quicker that way! And for a variety of valid reasons, my husband doesn't do much mechanically with our cars. Not to say that I'd be any good at it, but I'd sure like to know more about what's under the hood. Right now, it still mostly a mystery. That's why I try to follow along on Doug Drake's "Automobile and Its Parts" sessions when they're offered. I learn something new every time!<P>Jan K.<BR>Wis Region

Jan,<BR>If you want to learn about what is under the hood, there are a couple of book that I would recomend for you. The first one is a U.S. Army Training manual - - -TM9-8000 The title is "Principles of Automotive Vehicles" This is the manual that they teach mechanics in the Army and Air Force. It is very good. <BR>The other one is the "Dykes Automobile and Gas Engine Encyclopedia" This was published from about 1910 -1943. Very good also. Both of them can be found at swap meets.<P>Dan

Jan ~ When Judy and I get to your Founders Tour this summer you need to get together with her and let her share her personal experiences in antique car restoration and maintinance. With no prior experience she restored a Model A and has maintained it ever since.<P>She has done much work on our cars over the years, including repairs on tours. She was 40 when she started in this hobby. ~ hvs

Jan, I am delighted to hear your expieriences and of your interests. <P>I first noticed my wife Judy when she came to my high school shop class with a differential cover with two prominent holes in it's face. She seemed too pretty to be in a filthy garage and every leering eyed mechanic in the place was checking her out. <P>She asked me to weld them up for her after the teacher told her to go see the "grease covered guy in the corner". I took the cover and looking perplexed asked her how her Dad (what a chauvinist!) did this?<P>I was promptly told that she had blown the rearend out of her car and was in the process of replacing the gears and carrier. It was love at first sight, for me anyway. You could say there is nothing more attractive to me than a female fixing a car or driving a front end loader skillfully. I don't think this fact shows up in Mademoiselle magazine.<P>Anyway I repaired the cover and even blasted and painted it for her (showoff!) and delivered it to her locker personnaly, fixed her locker for her while I was there too (he-man!). At the time I didn't mention how interested I was in seeing her "rear differential". <P>Apparently she was interested in some hands on rearend repair instructions also and who was I to turn down a young apprentice in need of help. To make a long story short we celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary not to long ago and have 3 great kids to complete our life.<P>She never was much of a mechanic but then who has to be when you have da Machinist in da House. Ha Ha Ha!!!!<P>I love her just the same.

Thanks for the recommendations on the reading material. A librarian like me is always interested in picking up more books. (Just don't tell my husband.) <P>HVS, I'll be sure to look up your wife, Judy. Sounds like someone I can have some good conversations with -- on any number of topics!<P>Jan K.<BR>Wis Region

Those Dykes manuals were an inspiration to me as I learned more and more about mechanics as well as the old cars.<BR>They contain neat info on components of the early cars; ie tillotson carb for 16 Overland, and the Bosch high tension mag, The Model T, The Model A,The Lycoming Engine to mention just a few.

Guest De Soto Frank

BV,<P>A hearty "here, here" for the Dykes Manuals!<P>I picked up my 1921 edition at a local antique shop for about $3.50, a couple years ago, and consider it one of my most valuable car books!<BR>It's absolutely fascinating! Every time I sit down with it, I end up wishing that "time travel" was a reality!

When walking from Mass one Sunday two Nuns approached my Parents, my brothers, my sister and me on the sidewalk. Looking up, I smiled, threw my arms in the air and ran towards them. They both bent down to greet me as I elbowed past them and plastered my face to the glass of a tire dealership. Wheels. Tons of 'em. I was two. It's in the blood.