Who got you interested in cars, and how?

I think unless both parents were Aero Space engineers or NY Chefs, most males of the family were closet motor heads from birth. I, on the other hand, have to revert to the fact that my father too sparked my interest in the greasy side of life. Being a member of the 60's population and only 20 miles from York US 30 Drag-o-Way, the love of automobiles was always there ... just resting and waiting to wake up. As much as speed and noisy engines was my attraction, my first car was a 1958 Morris Minor convertible. But because of the 'bonding' my father and I did rebuilding this first car, there would be grease and gasoline running in my veins the rest of my life. After owning some 30 vehicles in my life and even racing sportcars all over the US, what finally turned my interest toward older cars was a mystery. Maybe it was the purity and innocense of their birth that started it but who knows. My most fond possesions are my two 1929 Fords. My wife bought them for me last year because of a statement I've probably said a million times over the years... "I sure would like to own one of those as a retirement project." They are the best things that have happened to me since her and the two boys I now have.

Guest Stllrng.

I will try not to get long-winded. I would have to say that I have been interested in old cars for as long as I can remember. I am the youngest of five children and the only boy, so it would appear that my Dad was determined to have a son. For as early as I can remember, there was always old cars at our place. Some of my earliest memories are of riding in our 1934 Packard 1100 sedan; I recall looking out the window to make sure we were still moving, as it was so smooth and quite. I don't think my Dad so much liked to restore a car in the usual sense, where you take a car and make it like new again, but more so he liked to take something that was so far gone, and had so much missing, that no one else would even consider it. He would then take great pleasure in doing what ever it would take to make it run again, using anything at hand to make it work. Usually, when he got it to the point that you could see that it really would be a car again, he would kind of lose interest and sell it to someone else, who would then finish it off. Then he would start some other impossible task. He did some nice work though, and did finish several cars to a high degree. He took on a 1913 White that was really rough with more parts missing than still there, and I think it was this car that was were I first really got "the bug". When he first got it running he told me to climb on, we were going for the first ride. We only made it about 1/8 of a mile before we broke down. I sat and waited while Dad walked home and got some gas or tools or what ever it was that he needed. At the same time that my Dad arrived back at the car, a policeman arrived at the car. The policeman did not look too impressed, as the car not only had no licence or insurance, but also had no body what so ever, as well as a steering wheel spider with no wheel etc. etc. We were sitting on a box set across the frame rails of an open chassis. The cop asked where we lived, and when my Dad pointed to the house, he suggested that we just go straight home. I still remember that day, and I was only five years old at the time. I have been hooked on old cars ever since. When I was fourteen my Dad died of cancer, so we didn't get to have any more fun with old cars. I remember when he died I thought he was pretty old anyhow, after all he was 46. Now that I'm turning 40 next month that seems to be alot younger now than it was at the time. Now the reason I'm rambling on is that I used to wonder if I really was nuts about old cars, or did I just think it was expected of me? When I was about 21 found the answer to that question. More so than old cars even, my Dad was really wild about anything steam. He was a steam locomotive engineer, and when I was 8 years old, he used to move over to the fireman's seat and let me take the throttle and run the loci. Let me tell you, that is pretty exciting for anyone, let alone an 8 year old kid. Any way, when I was about 21 I stood on a bank as Shay steam loci went past me, pulling a heavy grade. The sight and sound and vibes of that old girl sent shivers up my neck, and I thought that my heart was going to rip right out of my chest! I realized that you don't get those feelings because someone else expects you to. I'm still hooked on old cars (and old Harleys too). By the way, when I was 28 I bought back the 1913 White, my boys like riding in it too.

Wow, some absolutely great stories. I like that comment about your "heart ripping out of my chest", I sometimes think I'm the only one who feels that way.<P>Our car club recently had a visitor to our track who owned an original Mustang GT350H. The H stands for Hertz rental car and they were actual cars you could rent. He had restored the car to it's as raced condition after it was purchased from Hertz. He had replaced the original 289 with an aluminum Ford Motorsports 302 tuned to about 400HP, the original motor was worth too much money to risk on a race track. <P>Since the cars at our track are all GT3 cars and under, he was placed in the open wheel category so he could have some competition. The open wheel cars of course had a huge weight and cornering advantage so he had his work cut out for him. Having to start at the back of the pack didn't help either.<P>I tell you the sound of that 302 going all out hell bent for leather trying his best to catch the pack made me cheer. Everytime he passed the timing towers he would have to step out of the gas to regain traction after the shift from 2nd to 3rd before he could make the long 140MPH straight away. <P>My oldest son (4) was on my shoulders and was cheering him on too. He was so obviously trying to make that car give a good showing that he almost lost it a couple of times. His hands were full just keeping that old racecar on the straight and narrow.<P>At the end of the race the Marshal gave him a checkered flag to circle the track even though he came in last. I not ashamed to tell you that I had tears in my eyes and my heart and I couldn't hide that from my boy. Maybe it was the sound of that 302 screaming by at 7000 rpm or just the fact that he would not give up but I had to explain to my boy why Daddy was crying.<P>I told him that certain sounds like the sound of Taps played by a military band, the sound of bagpipes, your countries Anthem, a church choir singing together or the sound of an engine being worked it's hardest can make a person feel things that remind him of other times and places. <P>I asked him if he sometimes feels his face get flushed or felt his heart beating faster, he nodded that he did. I told him that is how a person knows if something stirs his soul, he looked at me and smiled. Almost made me start crying again.<P>Perhaps only certain people feel this way but for sure car nuts feel that way about something they have a passion for. It is what bonds us together. And that sure makes my heart beat faster.<P>I may be completely wrong about this, if so please disregard my opinion.<p>[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: Chuck da Machinist ]

I always wanted a Model A Ford but I really don't know why. When I was 16, my dad said I could choose my own car as long as it didn't cost more than $300. That was in 1966. I chose a 1930 Model A tudor sedan that we bought from Gene Renninger in Bird in Hand, Pa. for a whopping $275. It was 36 years old but we drove it home. That was also the first year I went to Hershey. In 1970, I had to choose between an engagement ring and the prettiest 1957 Lincoln Premier you've ever seen...lavendar with a white interior! I never saw the Lincoln again but the wearer of the ring is still with me.<P>In 1984, I traded my services for some money and a 1963 Jaguar XKE roadster without an engine or an interior. I gave this to my son saying "This is a Jaguar. It's your first car. If you get it running, you'll have the coolest car any high school kid ever owned. He did and it was. Since then, he's restored several cars and owns alot more that he'll get around to "some day." 2002 will be his 20th year going to Hershey with me. He's 30 now and the Jaguar is still parked in his garage. <P>Old cars and Boy Scouts...The best way to raise a son. grin.gif" border="0

I credit 2 people, the late Henry Austin Clark and Lester Cutting who had been collecting since the late '30's.<P>One characteristic of both, they understood and encouraged a callow youth's questions and interest in early cars with great patience,tolerance and understanding, totally unlike most members of the so-called car clubs who regarded me as a thorn in their sides and an embarassment on account of my young age.

Guest De Soto Frank

Stllrng.,<P>Curious to know where you had your "Shay locomotive" experience ?<P>They're not too common, even as steam lokies go.<P>I had mine down in W.Va., at Cass, when I was about 4 years old,the first time.<BR>Only thing I really remember was getting in good-sized cinder in my eye & crying a good bit! rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Went back down there about 10 years later when I was in high school, and have much more pleasant memories!<BR>My Mom's father had worked down there for Cheat & Elk operations of the West Virginia Pulp & Paper Co. in the logging camps during the '20s.<P>Chuck-<P>interesting phenomenom you mention- the "involuntary emotional response" to certain stimulii- certain things still leave me "weak in the knees" or perhaps tearful (with joy), or with neck-hair raised-<BR>Charles Ives' "Variations on 'America'", certain organ works rendered on some grand old pipe organ by a truly-skilled organist,<BR>the sight, sound , smells, and "feel" of a live steam locomotive (such as Canadian National #2317, Pacific-type) pulling an excursion train out of Steamtown (within a mile of home),<BR>the bellow (?) of a pre-1930 automobile chugging down the road...<BR>(Could go on; I have a bit of a hard time getting my wife to understand this kind of stuff...)<P> smile.gif" border="0

Not sure if this will work, but here is a link to a sound recording of the Skunk Train about to leave Willits, CA back in 1976. Hope it brings a big smile to all who hear it as it did my son and I smile.gif" border="0 <A HREF="http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~colemanc/Bin/Sounds/Steam/cwrr_45a.wav" TARGET=_blank>http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~colemanc/Bin/Sounds/Steam/cwrr_45a.wav</A> <BR>If you can not clik on the clink you should be able to copy and paste. This site has a whole page of train recordings!