Rubber/Latex Gloves at the National?

Guest BJM

I was wondering. Do you think it would be a good idea for judges to wear the latex/rubber/nitirle gloves when judging at BCA Nationals? Maybe not a formal rule but a requirement.

Just curious.

I wear them for my restoration work and my job. I used to use them as an auto technician and always put them on when cleaning the house.

Just thought with "some" complaints of paint scratching, fingerprints, etc, this might be a good idea, maybe not.

Guest my3buicks

A judge really should not be touching your car - they typically ask you to open your doors etc -or ask if they can open them. I typically stay out of their way and let them do their job.

On a hot summer day, on black pavement it is hard enough on the judges physically let alone to be wearing rubber gloves to hold the heat/sweat in their hands.

I try to take off my watch and rings, not that I intend to touch the car, but the less metal I have on, the safer it is.

That said, if this does move forward, please note that there's a fairly significant proportion of folks with latex allergies...it would have to be the nitrile variety.

Of course, if this goes ahead, I see it being another argument for those that want to move the National meet into the school year for cooler temperatures so that those of us with school age children have greater difficulty attending.

I thought about the heat/sweat issue. Probably not a good idea. But I was thinking more of rings etc. and the appearance of concern for the car owner.

It's hard for me NOT to touch the car at some point, mostly for leverage so as not to fall into it.

Maybe think about taking yoga or Kung Fu to work on balance and core strength...

For additional endurance and stamina, in the heat, some good cardio-vascular activity like 10 minute/mile runs/jogs for 5-6 miles/day would work better. Would also get you used to sweating, too, and being comfortable in that condition. Just have to work into it . . . as in starting very soon . . . to be ready for Danvers and beyond. Just "easy on the Spandex" for now. Some might question running vs biking . . . but you can't coast on your feet and not hurt yourself.

Yoga's a good, slow, stretching (physical and mental), stress-relief activity. Quite the opposite of ZUMBA or the many highly-active exercise routines being touted on cable tv.

Many options . . . even for gloves. As in the cotton gloves with "traction aids" rather than "rubber" (Playtex with the cuffs, that you can pickup a penny from the counter with). Most of our techs use Nitrile and haven't complained about them being hot.

NTX5467

Maybe think about taking yoga or Kung Fu to work on balance and core strength...

My 2 judgings I have been the "chassis" guy because I am short and young (47). But even in walking the show field it's hard to look into cars without touching them. The 40's Buicks with their fat fenders. I'm not saying I try to touch a car.

Would you want to be the owner with a team of judges snapping on gloves? Shades of airport security methinks....

New for 2012 national BCA's new TSA certified photo and safety inspection. please remove your brake shoes, all greases and oils, and place your on board computers in the plastic trays...sir your car will have to set to the side while we perform an enhanced pat down...."if you touch my torque tube I'll call the cops"

Can't wait!

Damn, I keep on coming in late!

I actually wasn't trying to bust Jake's BB's on this one. I have judged chassis before for the reasons he gave (short / young). I was actually trying to be helpful... Jake I am feeling the AGE creeping up on me too, but I have never touched a car I wasn't supposed to. Roll away, Daddio!