This is the USA...

Uncle_Buck

Beer comes in oz. and quart containers - not litres. Litres are for measuring wine in Europe - not engine displacement in the United States...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If the metric system which everyone in Europe uses bothers you, how does all those European names on American cars make you feel?

Don

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If the metric system which everyone in Europe uses bothers you, how does all those European names on American cars make you feel?

Don

Names like:

Mustang, Cobra, Thunderbird, Starfire, Eighty-Eight, Fury, GTX, Charger,

4-4-2, Road Runner, SS-396, Impala, GNX, Marauder, Galaxie

Is that what you mean....? ;)

Names like:

Mustang, Cobra, Thunderbird, Starfire, Eighty-Eight, Fury, GTX, Charger,

4-4-2, Road Runner, SS-396, Impala, GNX, Marauder, Galaxie

Is that what you mean....? ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I was thinking about Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Corsa, Monza, Del Ray, Oldsmobile Fiesta, Cutlass Calis & Salon, Omega Salon, Cadillac Coupe de Ville, Calais, Seville, Sedan De Ville, El Dorado, Allante. Buick Riviera, Pontiac Aztec, LeMans, Grand Prix, GTO, Grand Ville, Packard Patrician, Carribean, Pan American, Plymouth Savoy, Cambrige, Belevedere, Cabana, Volar'e, Chrysler Imperial D'Elegance, LeBaron, Cordoba, Desoto, Dodge Monaco. FORD 7L galaxie ( I know not fair ) Lincoln Versailles, Lincoln Mark V Givenchy edition, Capri, Mercury Capri, Montego, Monterey, Caliente, Monarch Ghia, Grand Marquis, Mustang 2 Ghia, Grand Torino, Ford Granada, Ford Granada Ghia, Ford Fiesta, Pantera.

I'm sure there are more, the above was just off the top of my head.

Don

Most of those names are from a time when most people did not go on vacations and cruises all over the world. Having the name of glamorous European cities on your car gave the impression of being exotic while your car was made by an American manufacturer, in America, by Americans, with American parts. I have no problem with that.

Putting cubic inches back on the car is a nice reminder of those times as well as showing American manufacturers can produce products without having to copy foreign designs and measurements today.

Guest prs519

Oh, yes they do to write songs about Volvos! Haven't you heard those lyrics, "she had fun, fun, fun, till the daddy take the Volvo away"? More seriously, I think the mfgs in designating some engines in litres, back in the day, were trying to appeal to a European sense of racing, since so many of the race cars in Europe were so designated. Don't you?

Perry

P>S> I am not 100% sure about the origin of those lyrics, but I hear they were based upon a true story, wherein a 16 year old Kansas girl lost her driving privileges for 6 months! By the time she got them back, her daddy had sold the Volvo!

Guest Kingoftheroad
Oh, yes they do to write songs about Volvos! Haven't you heard those lyrics, "she had fun, fun, fun, till the daddy take the Volvo away"?

LMBO !!!

Maybe the cubic inch designations will come back. The Big 3 have brought back retro styling, horsepower, and famous car names from the musclecar era.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dr. Strangelove
When I grew up a liter was something a hog had....:D .and BTW, they don't right songs about Volvo's

Thank you. Said and done.

Billboard in Detroit (THE Motor City).

post-53323-143138503171_thumb.jpg

Guest Bob Call

The USA became the largest economy the world had ever seen and did it using Imperial (British) weights and measurements. We don't need no stinkin' metrics! Even our dear old limey bikes were referred to in cubic inches, ie: 30.50 ci, 40 ci and 61 ci Beezers, Trumpets, Royal Enfields, Ariels, et al.

Jim Croce wrote one of my favorite car songs. Goofy but catchy

Chorus- Oh Rapid Roy that stock car boy

He too much too believe

You know he always got an extra pack of cigarettes

Rolled up in his t-shirt sleeve

He got a tattoo on his arm that say "baby"

He got another one that just say "hey"

But every Sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon

In a '57 Chevrolet

Oh Rapid Roy that stock car boy

He's the best driver in the land

He say that he learned to race a stock car

By runnin' shine outta Alabam'

Oh the demolition derby

And the figure eight

Is easy money in the bank

Compared to runnin' from the man

In Oklahoma City

With a 500 gallon tank

Chorus

Yeah Roy so cool

That racin' fool he don't know what fear's about

He do a hundred thirty mile an hour

Smilin' at the camera

With a toothpick in his mouth

He got a girl back home

Name of Dixie Dawn

But he got honeys all along the way

And you oughta hear 'em screamin'

For that dirt track demon

In a '57 Chevrolet

Chorus

I've never understood - the US has the largest economy in the world - which we're slowly losing, but that's another story - so it seems to me that the rest of the world ought to conform to the American system of measurement, not us converting to the metric system.

We have been, in industry, and for most everything we do, IN the metric system for years (45+) ! If people would like to get upset over that please confront government, government education and industry of days past. For example, the U.S. has been using the M-16 from 1963 in Vietnam. It uses a 5.56mm X 45mm cartridge. It's been around a long time. The metric system is not only the future, it's part of our past too.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I've never understood - the US has the largest economy in the world - which we're slowly losing, but that's another story - so it seems to me that the rest of the world ought to conform to the American system of measurement, not us converting to the metric system.

One thing it seems we've won the "world battle" over is tire size designations. I remember the "TRX" metric radials that Ford started introducing on some cars like the Mustang and T-Bird, back in the '80s (and possibly some foreign cars too?--I don't recall specifically...). Anyway, it appears they never caught on, and good old "inches" have remained the standard for wheels & tires.

EDIT: Just found a nice historical article about TRXs, from HMN: http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2009/03/01/hmn_feature25.html

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Guest bkazmer

sorry to upset the pointless jingoism party (people doing the designs are "fluent" in both systems, plus a couple more) but wheels are in English units (inches), but tires are metric/mixed. A 225-70-15 means 225 mm tread width , 70% sidewall to tread width, fits a 15"wheel.

Doesn't matter what units - if it's good , it's good. If it don't work, it ain't good.

Guest Dr. Strangelove
...and thats how we let everbody know whats under the hood....!!

Hats off to Chrysler for putting the cubic inch displacement of the Hemi under the hood on the new Challenger. Ford gets a nod too. The re-introduction of the Boss Mustang 302. Thank you very much Chrysler & Ford.

GM, your turn. Loved those flag emblems from the mid-sixties...!!

Golly....!! Another Detroit area billboard.

post-53323-143138503829_thumb.jpg

Guest Dr. Strangelove
I guess you'll have to forgive Pontiac for putting 6.5 L on the GTO emblem going back to 1964, and those T/A's with 6.6 on the shaker scoops.

Don

Your point is noted - for the second time in this thread....

Now back to our regularly scheduled rant:

post-53323-143138503925_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr. Strangelove (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
Guest cargeek2014

I think Chrysler's engines of the mid-late 60's were the best. Specifically, the 440cc (7.2L) V8. (Used in Plymouth Superbirds, and Dodge Charger Daytona; also Imperials) And, in my opinion, whether you state the size in cc or liters, it's still a beast.

I think Chrysler's engines of the mid-late 60's were the best. Specifically, the 440cc (7.2L) V8. (Used in Plymouth Superbirds, and Dodge Charger Daytona; also Imperials) And, in my opinion, whether you state the size in cc or liters, it's still a beast.

Yep....the 440 and 426 HEMI!!!

post-37352-143138631509_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313863153_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I am used to both systems, but the thing I don't get is what does a 392 have to do with a Challenger? The newest thing I ever saw with a 392 Hemi was a 1958 Imperial. How can even the most half baked marketing dept. get it so wrong? Do they realy think their target market is that ignorant of the basic statistics of the ORIGIONAL Challengers? I mean they are the size of a 1970 Challenger and a half {in body thickness at least}, so shouldn't they at least offer a 639 Hemi.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I am used to both systems, but the thing I don't get is what does a 392 have to do with a Challenger? The newest thing I ever saw with a 392 Hemi was a 1958 Imperial. How can even the most half baked marketing dept. get it so wrong? Do they realy think their target market is that ignorant of the basic statistics of the ORIGIONAL Challengers? I mean they are the size of a 1970 Challenger and a half {in body thickness at least}, so shouldn't they at least offer a 639 Hemi.

The 392 Challenger that I saw and rode in was a "Kowalski" version...#9 of 10 built. They were built to commemorate the movie "Vanishing Point".

post-37352-143138632222_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138632229_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138632491_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138632499_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138632508_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138632517_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138632525_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138632533_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138632541_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138632549_thumb.jpg