Anybody doing anything in the garage this winter

junkyardjeff

I am about half way thru freshening up my '15 Ford roadster. I bought it in 1955 as my first old car(have had many since) and did an amateur restoration on it. I am the 2nd owner and the car was in a barn 7 miles from my home. Some parts were worn and were replaced with parts not correct for the year, for example the kingpins were replaced with flip top oilers ones instead of the "manhole" type. Many other boo-boo's followed. I have been collecting the correct parts for years to make it 99 percent pure. One of my great finds was a set of 1915 new old stock wheels, with no dry rot! I finally got it in my shop and after many, many carefree miles I just gave it a valve job. Then many little details to bring it back to life. The bands in the transmission were relined with 1956 Ford automatic transmission linings and have never had to be adjusted in the 8 to10 thousand miles I have driven it in past years. The tires are all 50 yrs old and they are being replaced. The top I put on it way back then has shrunk at least 3 inches, so Iwill replace that. Just a dozen or so small jobs to work on during the cold weather. While it's not in my shop I am also doing little work on some of the components on my 1914 Hudson. It soon will be spring and I will be happily back on the road.--Bob

Nothing in the garage, but I was able to paint my old dd outside today.

It was so hot...well, it was hard keeping the paint from drying in between passes with the paint gun. :D

well here i'll have to dig a path to the garage first, the snow is just a blowing out there today,, all the schools are closed, buses cancelled,,

On my '56 I'll be doing both head gaskets, having the heads surfaced, valve seals replaced, modern hardened valve guides installed, etc. I'll also be dropping the pan and replacing my leaky 2 piece rope seal rear main with a modern 2 piece rubber w/wire rear main. While the heads are off I'll also be cleaning the surface rust from my exhaust manifolds and soaking my heat riser in Kroil and Evapo-Rust. During reassembly, I'll be reinstalling all of the correct ignition wire shielding.

I'm also getting my distributor, speedo, tach, and clock rebuilt mechanically.

...and that's after all the stuff I've already done this winter lol.

I have been getting to the shop regular. I go in, pat te cat on the head start up the 1949 Ford 8N pull it out and plow snow for 30 minutes to an hour and put it back in. Pat the cat on the head again and dump some cat food it her dish and go back in the house to warm up by the fire.

Jim...

Miller's Engine is out

Today we strip it and measure. Make a parts wanted list.

It was built as a show car and won the race car show at Hershey.

Now we make a race car of it..... squezze a little more power out

There are 'Bugs' to stomp on......:)

Im getting 10 hrs a week out athe shop. I use an electric furnace and keep it at 55f

Im working on a 28 dodge victory 6 chassis all done and running. now Im after the body work and welding in some patchs to get rid of the few rusty spots. Painting when it warms up in a few months. I rally want to be on the road this spring so wifey will have to wait for the bathroom reno.

Too bad about the extra work necessary to access tail shaft, etc. because of the too short driveshaft. I've been there before, or someplace just like it- kind of a bummer, but it gives us more sayings like, " I cut the f&8ker off twice, and it's still too short." Maybe start measuring twice, three or four times and then measure it again before cutting. I found that to be excellent advice before welding things too. Man those cutting wheels get expensive! Good luck and keep at it- this is fun, remember.

Guest Silverghost

I would be working in my garage ~~~

IF ~~~I could only just get past the three feet of compacted & drifted snow which has now turned into ice !

I cannot open my garage door now !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Too bad about the extra work necessary to access tail shaft, etc. because of the too short driveshaft. I've been there before, or someplace just like it- kind of a bummer, but it gives us more sayings like, " I cut the f&8ker off twice, and it's still too short." Maybe start measuring twice, three or four times and then measure it again before cutting. I found that to be excellent advice before welding things too. Man those cutting wheels get expensive! Good luck and keep at it- this is fun, remember.