Free antenna fix

Barney Eaton

Guest Kingsley

I believe that I have previously mentioned that some months ago I purchased a replacement cable online, Reatta specific, 15.00 or so, but I do not recall where online! Still checking and hope to be successful soon. I will post a picture but in the meantime it includes the upper section of the antenna, 12.5" with a short threaded section at the tip, 35.25" of .119" diameter round flexible rod and a metal hook which extendes the length by 1.25".

Within the length of the rod there is a felt washer and a formed black plastic piece 1" in diameter. The end section and the flexible plastic rod are joined by a ferrule crimped on each end.

I do not have an antenna open at this moment but could someone check and see how the dimensions of this item compare with the OE dimensions.

Just some comments on Reatta antennas. 1988-1990 all look the same (see picture below)

and the parts interchange. 1991 and later Delco antennas had some differences but can be used on the early cars with some modification.

(1) note the early (1988-1990 bottom) antenna has a coax lead screwed to the outside of the mast assembly. If you find a 1991 or later and want to use it, you can but the lead in the trunk will be too short because the late antenna has a different connection for the coax.

The quick/easy fix, remove the short coax lead from the early antenna, remove the coax adaptor plug at the upper part of the late antenna. The early part will now fit on the late antenna but one screw hole is out of alignment. Simply mark the hole location on the mast and drill a hole for the screw. Now the late antenna will mount in an early car and the coax cable will be long enought to reach.

The second major difference between the early and late antenna........

The lower chrome mast section is a different size. Early antenna were .300 in diameter, the late design is .250 in diameter. This has no affect on installing the antenna in the car, but if you try and mix and match antenna parts it becomes a problem.

You will probably notice the relay is missing in the photo of the bottom (early) antenna. The location of the relay is also slightly different but this has no affect on interchanging parts.

post-30596-143138422315_thumb.jpg

Do you remember where you got your window antenna? How much it was, what brand, etc.? I thought about putting one in mine, just because it looks sleeker...

Thanks,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Seeing your old posts isn't as easy here as the old site, for me.

Any internal antenna would do fine for local am/fm (I used mine for a mp3 - FM modulator), and rest assured, there are much better out there now than what I got, for the price; mine is several years old now.

Universal Window-mount Antenna AM/FM replacement antenna at Crutchfield.com

There's a link to the type I have in her now, but I'll probably upgrade to a stronger/better one.

Yes, it does improve, IMHO, the "flow" of the look of the Reatta, as there is no longer an antenna sticking out of it's rear to break up the lines. Looks more... modern (?)/timeless to me. However, make sure whoever you get to plug the hole (body shop/MAACO/yourself) knows what they are doing or you might wound up paying for the whole quarter-panel or car to be painted. I was having her painted at he time mine was done, so for me, no big deal, but the body shop did warn me about how easily one can be taken for such a small job (about $60 at the time for just the hole, compared to $300 for a QP). Or just use the $8 rubber grommet (you can get at most parts stores nowadays) designed specifically for that purpose (shown/suggested above). It's a viable alternative and not really an eyesore.

Universal Window-mount Antenna AM/FM replacement antenna at Crutchfield.com

There's a link to the type I have in her now, but I'll probably upgrade to a stronger/better one...

Note that this is an example of an 'active' antenna. It has a built-in preamp to compensate for the non-optimal size - hence the need for the power connection. It is the same principle used on many current cars to eliminate the masts. If properly designed and positioned in the car, they can work very well.

When using an antenna like this, be sure to connect the preamp to the switched 'power antenna' lead from the radio, which would normally power the antenna motor. If it connected to a circuit which is always on, it could contribute to a battery drain.

Guest Richard D

Some Nissans in the mid 1990s had diversity receivers in the factory radios. They had two receiver front ends and two antenna inputs with different connectors, one was a telescopic type and the other one built in the glass. Which ever receiver got a better signal the radio would instanty switch to the "better" antenna. Can you say over designed? This system is now used on high end wireless mics when there can't be any dropouts in front of 60,000 people and TV audience.

Guest Circuit_Doc

Thanks for the repair of my antenna Barney! The return box was wet and had been wraped in plastic, my guess is the box got caught in bad weather somewhere and the Post Office wraped the box to keep it from falling apart.

The antenna arrived in good condition and it works well.

Thank you,

Gary

Queen Creek, AZ

• 2 weeks later...

As of yesterday, only 2 Reatta owners have sent me antenna to repair. I need more to evaluate the repair.

I have not received feedback on the sizes of upholstery beading so nothing has been done with that, monofiliment fishing line has struck out as the original suggestor cannot find any aproaching 3mm. One Reatta owner sent me wire strings used on stringed musical instruments but those are too small and flexable.

I have two options that look promising. One is a pretty easy fix, the other which appears to be bullet proof is labor intensive.

I posted the request on the Buick general discussion page and received some response from them. I need 4-6 more antennas to get them in service and test the fix.

Guest Kingsley

In this or a previous thread on this subject, I mentioned that I had obtained on line a replacement antenna mast kit. Have now located it and it is www.AntennaMastsRus.com owned by Brookstone.

The quality seems quite good and the only remaining question that I have is whether or not the plastic material is of the correct length or not. The contact there is, I believe, Greg and he stated that his inventory was low but that he had 1000 on order to be delivered in about 60 days. I will open up an Reatta OE antenna today and let you have the results later on today. The flexible plastic rod is very nicely pinch point ferruled to the upper mast length.

He did mention that there might be a problem with the finial - was not sure whether it was USS /SAE or metric but I am sure that this can be finessed.

More later on this afternoon.

Guest Kingsley

Please refer to my previous post. It appears to be a perfect fit - an excellent replication of the OE part. I am not where I have all of my paper work but recall that it was Model A77, and I have been charged about $196.00, plus or minus a buck or two for a quantity of ten including shipping. Might have received a slight discouint by ordering ten of theml Found the finial screwed on extremely tight on the antenna I am repairing but will have another go at it tomorrow.

Interesting point as I disassembled the antenna I am repairing - the OE round plastic length measures 0.119" or 3mm in diameter and has a hole 0.050" or so in the center so in effect it is tubing. The first break occurred approximately 6" upward from the hook and the tubing at that point downward has a 0.029" diameter metal wire core. The hole in the tubing coninues throughout the length- but without the wire core The purpose of the wire core would appear to ensure that flexibility or kinking is not a problem in the final stage or raising the antenna. The OE plastic tubing was broken into four sections and snapped with minimal pressure.

Hopefully I can find a round tuit tomorrow and it is indicated that the motor is good and the mast was the only problem.

Guest Kingsley

More info on AntennaMastsRus.com - Customer service number is (920) 686-0644 or (920) 686-9688. Complete info on the item I have is "Item - Cable for GM Delco Power Antenna MST-GM4, Item number A77, $22.25 each plus $6.00 shipping. Assembly going fine at this point - have reached point of inserting the hook into the lower geared sectrion and it ain't going in easy. Just got to keep trying and find the key to it.

Correction on my customer service contact - name is Chuck, not Greg.

Guest Kingsley

Sorry to feed this in tidbits but I jump in and out of this project. Just found out that the wire core in the flex cable extends much further than I had initially indicated as the most recent fix revealed a 20" wire core so in all probability it goes the extire length. Inserting the lower hook on the spool is now a piece of cake. Seems to work best leaving the empty spool in the assembly and turning the tang inward. Just notice how it is installed as you remove the failed section.

As I see it now, the main proglem will be in making proper ferrule connections of the wire cored tubing at the old anttenna upper section and the lower hook in the spool.

As mentioned, volume purchasing will reduce your cost a bit. My cost on the ten I purchased was a total of $19.60 each including freight affording some saving on a singular purchase price of $22.00 each plus $6.00 shipping. A single unit can shipped cheaper than that and I will be willing to re-selll. The additional 1000 units that have been purchased by AntennasRus had not been received as of several days ago. The matter of the USS/SAE threading for the finial has not been looked into as yet. I have some 4-40 nuts and will see how the the fitment works out..

Barney may well come up with yet another better alternative. Both he an I, and probably Jim Finn are working separately on the antenna problem and I am sure that they will be adding some threads to this post with their suggestions.

I have not delved into the matter of motor failure as yet but that does seem to be a much narrower issue.

Edited by Kingsley
Not edited after all. (see edit history)

Kingsley, on the last batch of Delco repair parts I purchased 90% would either not slide into the #2 section of the antenna or was tight and unacceptable.

I was forced to rework them because when staked on the end of the top section, they elongated the round section. With some cursing and a small hammer, I carefully reformed then tried them in the #2 section until I was satisfied with the fit.

Hopefully you source is getting units that have better quality control.

post-30596-143138460205_thumb.jpg

Guest Double M

Kingsley, maybe you can "splain" it to me...

I ask you, 'cause I know you are a gentleman.

Why would someone go thru the trouble of fixing an original when an aftermarket one works and fits perfectly and is readily available at any auto parts store at a reasonable price?

What is sooo special about the original? Mine came with an aftermarket installed and I have not seen an original up close, so I admit I dont know.

Are you all getting judging points for these fixes? I am not being sarcastic or belittling but I honestly cant see the reasoning here.

Is it ego? One-up-manship? Better reception? What is it?

I am sure some cars came in history have come with a particularly unique antennea, but a 1990 Buick? I am sure it is a common part... so much so that the afore mentioned aftermarket generic power antennea goes right in its place. Unless the AACA is going to add a new catagory at shows for "Best Antennea" then I apologize.

I understand totally about the art of restoring a car and have restored several, but an Antenna is replacable/disposable item on a car like the oil filter, brakes & tires...

I just dont get it.:confused:

Guest Kingsley

Angelo - thanks, nice to hear from you.

For one thing, I like a challenge and would rather repair something than buy something new as long as it has the quality I want. I do not consider an antenna as a disposable part and I like OE even if it is rebuilt. For instance, I will dump my Karr security setup and put back OE if I can get the proper parts

I can assure you that if I get into a position where I cannot get/go OE, then I most certainly will buy what I can. Brand name and OE parts are premium priced generally but I do believe in most, certainly not all, cases they are better.

When an OE part is not available, then I feel free to digress a bit, i.,e my crank arms and sun visor cliips. Even then I do have a crank arm model which, when installed, is difficult to distinguish between it and the OE part. No way you can tell my replication of the visor clip replication from the OE part - actually it is a bit better.

You have to understand that I have time, not quite enough of it, but enough to take the time to develop new ideas and new approaches. That is the benefit of being retired and enables re-builds.

I now have all of my family out here from the deep South and has increased by three grandkids that live 44 steps down the slope from me. Put all of that together with two Reattas and a work shop and I will invoke my old saying - I may never get to heaven but I have been to paradise!

Now back out to the shop and antennas rebuilds - to each his own!

Glad to see how your Reatta has progressed - keep up the good work.

Hope I am not criticized for mentioning my products but they are integral to outlining my philosophy.

Edited by Kingsley (see edit history)

Guest Double M

I understand. Time is a biggie with me, I am lucky if I get an afternoon a week to work on any of my machines, and that is if the weather is good. I scambled last year to get as many fixes done as possible before it got too cold, which included your fine headlight cranks as well. That way I could getthru the winter w/o having to do any work on if possible. I could never afford the time to restore a power antennea, when I barely have the time to simply replace it.

My Reatta now has 3 anntenas BTW...

First I temporarily replaced the Power one with a Simple 9.99 Rubber Duckie type for the winter. I didnt want it freezing up and trying to break thu the snow and ice.

Secondly and perhaps more interesting... I installed a Frequency Scanner inside the console, powered thru the ciggy lighter (along w the GPS). Then I ran a wire antennea, made for the scanner, under the drivers bucket seat, into the rear cover and up along the seat belt retainer to the roof. Resulting in an a 3 foot tall hidden wire anntenea. Then I connected the earphone jack to the aux input of my radio. Now I can recieve Police, Fire & Airport transmissions on the go, in stereo. It is all completley hidden. Yes I know it is not legal.

Third, my GPS came with a seperate FM Traffic reciever, which has its own wire besed anntenea that fits hidden along the space between the console and the dash.

Along with my IPOD hidden behind the dash, on top of the climate control I retain a stock look, except for the GPS and have acess to AM-FM/CD/IPOD/SCANNER/FMTRAFFIC - and I havent killed the battery yet!

You have to understand that some will pay three times the value of a car if it has the original defects. Others will spend three days fixing an OEM part instead of using a Chinese replacement (must admit I am one of those). It is just part of the hobby/obsession.

You have to understand that some will pay three times the value of a car if it has the original defects. Others will spend three days fixing an OEM part instead of using a Chinese replacement (must admit I am one of those). It is just part of the hobby/obsession.

Agree completely. I am one of those who gets really annoyed when a mechanic loses original fasteners and uses ones 'just like it', that happened to be rolling around the bottom of his tool box, hoping I won't notice. (Worse, a few years ago I had some body work done on my Suburban. When I got it back, my Optima battery had been quietly replaced with a Delco...)

Fortunately, my Reatta has never been a daily driver. So I am compelled to keep it as original as possible to maintain its value. Based on the number of judging events I have entered over the past 40 years, the chances of my car ever being entered into a 400 point judging is somewhere between slim and none. But it is important to me personally to keep the car nice.

That said, I have upgraded a few things, including adding: 'export' E-code Hella headlights, factory CD player option, and '91-later armrest w/cupholder. When installing the CD player, I used the exact fasteners that the factory used. My prerogative. However it is also a no-brainer to use modern lubricants, etc. Who in the world would ever try to find SF grade motor oil or Dexron II today? Same with tires. (Though I have to say I am disappointed with Goodyears current tire offerings in the correct 15" size. The Eagle GT would have been a nice choice.) And next battery will likely be an Optima. (Currently has a 'Werker' battery. Either way I'd lose a point or two for not having a Delco. But until Delco comes out with an AGM battery, I will use something else.)

Getting back to antennas, it is great that Barney and Kingsley are looking into how to keep the originals going. It is no different than in the MB community, where restorers and buffs pay a lot of dinero to keep their original Hirschmann power antennas working well. To a collector, originality is everything.

Guest Kingsley

Slot recess screws are not allowed anywhere close to my shop. Thing that is a significant annoyance to me is to see the side battery terminals chewed up by vise grips or the like but that is easily remedied. Sometimes that socket is just not right at hand!

Received an antenna today to repair. The plastic line was not broken, someone had already replaced it with weed eater line. It measures roughly .105 and is not round but has the rough ridges to cut grass.

This is an example of a good try but the line is not stiff enough to handle the job. Note that it kinked several times and could not be salvaged. You can see several places were it folded back over itself.

post-30596-143138470895_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingsley

Barney's free fix cannot be bettered; however, should your upper section be bent and thus not useable, only then I mention again that I have been able to purchase ten antenna mast kits from AntennasRUs which do include a new upper mast section, the wire cored plastic cable (.120" OD) with the hook on the end plus two miscellaneous hardware pieces. My cost $19.60 and will be glad to sell at that cost plus shipping. I believe the list cost was some $22.00 plus about $6.00 shipping - not too much saving as opposed to buying direct.

If your upper mast section is in good shape then Barney has the deal for you.

All of this is pertinent only if you wish to retain the originality of your Reatta as opposed to purchasing an aftermarket one. To each his own!

Edited by Kingsley (see edit history)