Buicks at Barrett-Jackson

Thriller

While there are definitely mixed feelings about BJ, there are definitely able to put on a show and there is some great iron there.

This one is at auction today - '59 LeSabre

Look familiar? How'd this wind up at B-J? I thought they had higher standards - 1954 something

Is this the one that was in Rochester? I think so...I'd love to have it, but no lottery wins have come through - 1926 ambulance

Brewster town car...another bit of drool on the keyboard

'53 Skylark HT

This could go for higher dollars than many would expect - '58 Caballero

Of course, there are others, but those are the ones that jumped out at me. I won't be watching any of the TV coverage...sigh.

Wow, the one venue where "topless" is not desirable (OK, my apologies to some, but even to you, isn't a topless guy nice?). Watched some of the auction, other than some weird bidding, some bids seem somewhat reasonable. The '59 LeSabre, well, you'd pay 40-50K for a semi-luxury car these days, you can buy this Buick for the same money, drive it for 5 years and have a lot of fun, and in the same 5 years sell it for most of what you paid for it (not true for a new car purchase).

I'm not sure where "higher standards" might come in, but obviously that's somewhat variable for BJ. I suspect that as it's a "no reserve" auction, they know they are going to get "something" from both the buyer and seller in the way of "fees and commissions". Still, though, you can expect the vehicles there to be some of the best around.

About a year or so ago, I got to see a real BJ auction car at a local restoration shop. Still had the BJ authentication taped to the one of the windows! What was such a car doing at a restoration shop? It was a '68 Mustang, a very nice one, but also one where the prior restoration shop had not done a very good job rebuilding the engine--it knocked. But as all of these things were known going into the auction, the car was presented as it was. The resulting price it brought was somewhat less than if it had been "perfect". This same Mustang was featured in an article as evidence that the vintage car auction market might be cooling off a little, even with the flaky engine. Be that as it may . . .

GOOD vintage vehicles, reasonably stock or similar, are good investments for many people right now. That's usually how things have cycled since the 1980s first financial downturn. Can't get good returns from the bank? Go somewhere (as BJ) and purchase a vehicle that is probably one of the best around for its type. You get "the pedigree" of it being purchased at BJ, plus the fun of owning it and hopefully selling it for a gain in the future. I think I'd rather have a good collectible vehicle than Gold right now. Buy that lead substitute and octane booster while you can still get them!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

OK Willis: I'd rather have a car that I can enjoy and know that when I'm done, even if it's value is 1 cent, that 1 cent is gravy. For one to expect to own a collector car as an investment would be hidden expectations. Their value is as disposable as the dough you'd spend on a vacation.

Today interest is at an all time high and values on most collector cars are going down. Sure their are a handful of cars (1% of collector cars) that might be "investment grade" but most stuff is down and plummeting at a rapid rate.

Barett-Jackson is a horrible barometer to how values are in the collector car world.

Well, well, well. Looky what brought $27,500.00 :eek:

Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - 1954 BUICK SPECIAL

Cough...gag...sputter.

Maybe it is time for me to drive the wagon down to Scottsdale...seeing as this unit sold for double what I paid for the car...man alive. I have trouble believing this one, although I'm sure the seller is quite content.

Guest sherwoodstage1

Ah,the whole classic car auction hype!!!!!BJ,Mecum,etc.Been paying attention to mostly musclecars since the 80's.Before the televised events of these auctions,one would turn to Hemmings motor news for the high end restored,rare cars,as we used to call it "the Bible".My dream has always been a 70 GSX,and back then I remember seeing them in Hemmings $15-20k,and used to say phewwwwww!Then came the 90's,and 25,30,35k they grew to.

Then the explosion of 2005!!Hemis hitting 2,3,400k.....and what I desired,GSX's hitting and crossing over six figures.O.k,now out of my range.

NTM,everyone that owns one now thinks he or she has a $100k car.And even finding a project would cost you $25k.Roughly 25% of its restored value.

The bad is,you don't know what the car on stage is for quality,very high,medium,or just making the grade by your tv monitor.You have to be there in person to judge.As a person who does resto in the paint/body area,it is very rare that a car impresses me,and have seen in person some of these BJ cars,and wow,the buyer does'nt see this?????

Don't get me wrong ,there are some oustanding quality cars that roll thru there,and would explain why certain models vary so much in price compared to eachother.

All it takes is two well -off peoples ego kicking in and fighting eachother for a car,and wham,you just set a market gauge for a car??????

Then you try to sell yours in the open market,ebay,etc,with no luck.How many cars have we seen for sale for a long time,and not get sold.

Alot of these owners of cars that flew up in value were more than jumping at the notion of thier cars new value,but don't want to accept when it goes the other way,per the current economy.

I said it last BJ auction with the 3 GSX's,first one went for $58k,and everyone jumped to say"this one had alot wrong wtih it,was' that nice,etc, till you see the next two!!!"And they go for 67k,and 72k!!!! Not six figures anymore ,are they?????NTM,don't forget these prices are before the seller deducts for the entry fee(500-1500)and the 8% for good ol Craig.Not that $58k car,the seller gets around $52k.Then his transport fee,hotel,etc.

In 2005 when the prices exploded,I saw this as the demise for the avg guy trying to get his dream ride.Parts on parts started getting pricey now as a result of this to.

I also beleive there has to be alot of hidden securitys on someone rolling there car accross stage with no reserve,bids that are not real.Note when they stall on a car,and tell you how "it's way under the money''Who says??????It's the crowd that decided that,not you BJ!!!!!!!

To me,it's just good old entertainment,and watching a rolling car show on TV in the winter.

There are also several GS and GSX's being sold at this auction, including a 67, 69, 70, 71, etc. I used to own the 69 stage 1 convertible being sold. It was sold at the same auction last year ($58k plus comm) so it will be interesting to see on Friday night this year where the bidding stops.

Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - 1969 BUICK GRAN SPORT

$82,500. that' s a hefty increase over last years price.

Has had one owner for 38 years

Am I the only one, knowing that the car was on the auction block last year, who finds the statement on the BJ site misleading? Granted, as a standalone statement, it may not be inaccurate. However, at a quick read, would one not assume that it would have had the same owner for the last 38 years? Again, I'm not trying to be nit-picky, but just really starting to notice the marketing / salesmanship on the BJ site.