What is something like this worth?

Guest Drache

Was asked by a family friend to value something. Upon looking it over it was something I'd never seen before.

Pines Manufacturing Co. Chicago

The Winterfront

Automatic Radiator Shutter

Oldsmobile 43A

He's had this thing since he was a kid and he's in his 70's now. It's also appears to be in good shape! Figured you car guys here might be able to tell me as I can't really find any original ones for sale.

I believe its from a 1921-23 Oldsmobile 43A and know what it does but thats as far as I can go :D

dsc01513v.jpg

dsc01514yt.jpg

dsc01515l.jpg

dsc01516as.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

Wow ! That is in really good shape; doesn't look like it was ever mounted on a car, except you can see the "imprint" of the cellular radiator core on the zinc-plated face of the thermostat cover !

These were after-market accessories for cars that were driven in cold climates, back before automotive cooling systems were outfitted with thermostats by the manufacturer.

Another common "winterfront" was the Allen Shutterfront.

Other verions were simply a fitted canvas cover that could be snapped over the radiator; these could be buttoned-up or opened as needed, but the driver had to go around front to do this. I can remember seeing this version on International School busses into the 1980's...

Some makers, such as Hudson and Essex, built their cars with manual version as part of the factory radiator shell.

You rarely see them on restored cars as most folks don't find them attractive.

Thanks for sharing the pics !

Can't suggest a value... someone else here probably has an idea...

Most interesting. I cannot suggest a value either BUT I would suggest posting in Oldsmobile section as well as with HCCA.org - while not specifically geared towards these years the HCCA group may well have insight on this.

I would think the "other" Steve M. may be able to offer an opinion as he is an Olds expert.

I have a New Old Stock one for a Willys Knight and was going to Ebay it before I sold the car but came to the conclusion there is a glut of them in existence precisely for the reason Desoto Frank says, consequently not going for much. plus who drives their collector car in the northern winters? It might be of interest as a conversation piece to someone who owns the car it fits. They are on Ep[ay for $100-$300 most unsold

Some of these had a button on the drivers side. By pushing in, it would close the shutters and latch,,,for when you were leaving the car. There was a SMALL hole in the shaft,,so if the thermostat got stickey,,you pulled the button and put in a cotterpin,,,and held the shutters open,,, Most were black as shewn,,But the quality model sold for Pierce Arrow,was German Silver,unplated.. Using the canvas affair,,at appox O'deg f Silver Ghost,only needs about 1-2"of exposed radiator,, On the McCormack tractor it will stay cold unless you slip off the fanbelt !! The whizzing of the fan behind a totally coverd radiator still cools too much!! Then the drain pipe freezez,so ya cant drain it,,, Oh the hot nail trick in the kitchen stove,,haha,,Later,,Ben //I'll let you guys figgure how I got these things started,,,Coldest nite in the Ghost was --20f Cambridge to Marlborough/floorboards up,Starter never worked/5years,,not a problem ,:-]

Guest Silverghost

The High-End car builders like Pierce Arrow & Packard offered a German Silver or Chrome Plated version of this Pines Winterfront as a factory option. They were very common at the time !

The higher quality units looked much better than the unt pictured above.

There are several period photos of Pierce-Arrows with the factory units installed on this website. A photo was posted just a month ago under What Is It" ...

My USA built Springfield Rolls~Royce Silver Ghost and my early Phantom I have Rolls~Royce's version of this thermostatic shutter unit factory installed as part of the radiator shell-case itself.

I have also seen window shade roll-up aftermarket units installed on other 20-30s autos. There was a rope cord you could pull to regulate the engine's running temp.

Today these Winterfronts have very little collector value as they are considered ugly when installed on the car radiator~ .

They are more of a collector oddity today~

Comments are right on about value, neat items, but how many have you ever seen mounted on a car? I have a like-new Winterfront for a 20's Pierce Arrow, has the Pierce Arrow name on it, and I think I paid $60 for it a few years ago........

• 7 months later...
Guest Marlenco
Actually, I'd kind of like to find one for my '28 Ford... :o

Are you still interested in finding one of these shutters? I have one for sale, just like the one pictured in this thread...only dustier!