1952 Buick--correct color?

Guest gossir00

Guest Jim_Edwards
Can someone confirm whether two tone paint is original on this buick. see pic.

thanks.

For anyone to give you an accurate response you need to post the info from the vehicles I.D./Patent Plate which should have a Line devoted to Paint codes.

I'm going to suggest from what I see in the photo the car has its factory original paint job. It has the correct luster/shine for paints of those times.

Great looking car whether the paint is correct or not. Real eye catcher!

Jim

Guest gossir00

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I am in process of securing paint code from the ID/ patent plate. Reason for quick post was to confirm if two tone exterior paint was an option for 1952 Supers.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim,

Thanks for the info. I am in process of securing paint code from the ID/ patent plate. Reason for quick post was to confirm if two tone exterior paint was an option for 1952 Supers.

Yes it would have been an option. The car appears to be Apache Red (code 13) over Beach White (code 43). That specific combination is not listed in my reference, but back in those days people could and did special order two-tone combinations that don't appear as a standard two-tone offerings.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
HMMMMMM--in a quandry--half of responses confrirm and half deny!! Where is the 1952 paint expert??

Not at all. 100% of the responses indicate Buick produced two-tone vehicles in 1952. 1/2 of the responses are from persons in the belief that none were painted as the car in the picture. May not have been. But then, we're talking about a convertible here. A convertible produced in a time period when customers could order paint jobs not specifically shown in factory brochures. It was not a cookie cutter world in those times and customers could ask for things and the automakers would go along if in reason.

So with that said, the only true way to know for certain is from the paint codes on the vehicle itself. Don't be surprised if the code on the car makes little sense. There are codes on my '56 Cadillac Eldorado that not even a retired Cadillac production engineer from those times could figure out.

The best clue will be the door support pillar. If it's red then the car may have been all Apache Red and the White painted after the fact. Automotive painters rarely think about the parts of a car not seen. Looking beneath the door scuff plate might also provide a very good clue.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Without proper documentation such as a special paint order code this paint scheme would be a mandatory deduction in BCA judgeing. If I am not mistaken, Buick did not offer the different color below the sweep until 1955.

AS noted above, it would not be uncommon for dealerships or owners to do this after the fact. Still, it would be considered incorrect without documentation that it was some kind of special order.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Buick did not offer the different color below the sweep until 1955.

AS noted above, it would not be uncommon for dealerships or owners to do this after the fact. Still, it would be considered incorrect without documentation that it was some kind of special order.

THIS is 100% correct.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Without proper documentation such as a special paint order code this paint scheme would be a mandatory deduction in BCA judgeing. If I am not mistaken, Buick did not offer the different color below the sweep until 1955.

That would be correct, but who really gives a flip if it truly looks good? "Correct" is not always right in the eyes of the beholder.

Even without documentation, perhaps now long lost, things not apparent in information published for production supervisors and dealers sixty years ago may well not be 100% correct either considering all the throughout the model year changes that took place in vehicle manufacturing in the 1950s, many of them never properly documented.

Guest my3buicks
That would be correct, but who really gives a flip if it truly looks good? "Correct" is not always right in the eyes of the beholder.

I "give a flip", And I am sure I am not alone in that thinking.

Guest Jim_Edwards
I "give a flip", And I am sure I am not alone in that thinking.

If it were your car you might be justified in "giving a flip." It apparently isn't. If it were entered into some sort of points judging and you were a judge you would possibly be justified in "giving a flip." It isn't!

Blowing past that, there is every reason to suspect the paint job is anything other than factory, though the luster of the Apache Red appears to be correct for original paint. The White whether Beach White or some other white has the wrong luster and appears to be a recent modification, at least from the photo, on close examination. Unless whomever painted the white removed all the chrome trim, the door scuff plates and properly taped off the pillars you can bet your boots there will be tell tale signs of the white being added to the scheme of things.

No matter though, because it still looks far better than it would without the addition of the white.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Agree with Mike!! Agree with Pete!! Agree with Keith!!

Jim , were you around in 1950?

Ben

Yup! I even remember WWII with the original cast. :D Built and legally drove my first hot rod in 1955 when one could still find dozens of '32 Ford coupes (3 & 5 window) in the salvage yards and buy them for under $100.00. Ah, the good old days.:)

Jim

I agree with Mike, Pete, Keith,and Ben. The question was whether two tones were original meaning factory original. Factory two tone meant one color for the top(upper body as noted in the Buick Parts Book) with another for the lower body. Color under sweepspear did not occur from the factory until 1955 as already noted. At that time the colors started to use letters as codes versus numerals. Convertible tops were factory available only in Tan cloth or Black cloth in 1952. For 1952 Code 52-25 is listed as Carlsbad Black for the upper Body with Apache Red for the lower body for non-convertibles. Chart referenced above indicates this a convertible code as well; however, it is hard to definitely state whether the car had a black or tan top based on the code given. My guess is black. Have fun cruising in your car. It will draw lots of smiles and thumbs up!

Guest gossir00

Thanks to all you folks for taking the time and energy to answer my post. I am looking to buy this car. I may have more questions as I receive more info from the seller. I will post the paint code once I receive it.

Rick: I agree that you color scheme was not correct for that year. I thing that style was started in 1955. How ever it looks sharp and I have seen 1954 prize winning Buicks with that color scheme and I don't think that was available from the factory. You should keep it that way and enjoy driving it. My cars are a 52 41D and a 54 48D. THeir pait will be devided at the drip rail. But they are both "naked" now.

• 2 years later...
Guest lupocamino

Hi Buick-friends in the States,

my name is Wolfgang, I am from germany and I have seen by chance this elder thread.

I have bought a 1952 Buick Super Convertible in red this year. Unfortunately it is still under repair because the motor is broken. My question is, if anybody of you has by chance some pictures of this 52 two-tone convertible in red and white. My 52 seems to be painted in original red color but I am very interested in this two-tone color combination.

Does anyone of you have some additional pictures of this car? Very many thanks in advance for your help and support,

Wolfgang

Here is a website with original brochure pictures. Car Brochures - 1952 Buick Brochure / 1952 Buick Super.jpg It looks like the only Tutone cars are at the roof, no C-sections. If that was available I bet they would have promoted it.

Our village Buick dealership is a carpet store now and the whole time I was reading the posts I thought about the body shop attached to the back. I'll bet you a 1952 salesman's cigar that if you wanted a red and white Super convertible you would get one.

Bernie

Guest lupocamino

Hi Bernie,

many thanks for the link to the car brochures but I already have an original brochure here with me.

For me it is much more important to get pics from that special red/white car from this thread so that I can decide whether to do the same paint-job or leave it in all red. Here is a picture from my 52 conv. Compared to the two/tone model it seems to be a little bit "boring". What is your opinion about that??

15357792ew.jpg

Many thanks in advance for your -hopefully positive- comments,

Wolfgang

Edited by lupocamino (see edit history)

I do know for fact that as late as 1954 a dealer could special order different paint colors.

My Dad was general manager for a Buick dealership, and a CARNIVAL owner wanted a new Roadmaster for his parade car.

The car was a 4-door. Bright GREEN main body, bright RED top, and dark BLUE interior. The factory did call Dad to confirm these colors.

When it arrived the owner upon seeing it said, "SMITTY, ISNT IT BEAUTIFUL?"

It was a attention getting parade car, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy

Guest my3buicks

That is true Dale, special colors and paint could be ordered, but it would be documented on the paint code - for instance, my 72 Centurion convertible is painted Flame Orange, that color was not available on the full size buicks - on my data plate it is stamped SCO which signifies it was a special order - so any change would be documented on the Paint or Trim code,

Wolfgang,

I like your car in red. If I bought it from you I would get a set of 7.60 or 8.00 X 15 wide whites on it and stock wheelcovers. Actually I think it would look better than the tutone one. I think the original tires would have an 83 or 85 aspect ratio. That would raise the car about 2 inches all the way around and give it a killer stance.

I enlarged the picture and your rocker panel molding looks like a nice buffing would make it real nice. I would probably vinyl dye the convertible top boot black just to break up all the red or maybe make a second one with tan canvas material.

Then people at the shows would be saying your car has something special about it and they just can't put their finger on it.

Nice car, makes me feel bad I didn't buy more when I was in my 20's.

Bernie

Oh, and make that guy in the passenger seat wear a hat. He has a haircut like mine.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest lupocamino

Hi friends,

very many thanks for your comments. When I posted my request I really hoped that everybody would advice me to add the white color below the sweepspear. But now....

Of course, adding white wall tires will produce a completely different appearance. Maybe this will be the first thing for me to do, at least as the tires on the picture are already ten years old...

I am happy that you like my new toy even it is still in the mechanics hands for getting the engine rebuilt.

@Bernie: The guy on the passenger seat is me, it was November last year, we hat about 5-8 degrees Celsius and it was my first meeting with the owner that time. He invited me for a testride and I couldn't notice anything while we were on the road because the draft was so icecold and heavy, I will never forget that.

But even this adventure didn't change my decision to buy that wonderful red Oldie. I really hope that I can get it on the road soon.

I wish you all a pleasant weekend,

with best regards,

Wolfgang

Just teasing about the hat. But I actually wear a hat when I drive my convertible just for the drivers behind me.

Here is a pretty good example of what white walls and tire aspect ratio can do:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]206649[/ATTACH]

Guest lupocamino

Hi Bernie,

you're right, wide walls can change the whole appearance of the car. Unfortunately here in Germany it is very difficult to get tires allowed from the authority with other aspect ratio than mentioned in the papers. But your tip is correct. I will have a call at the office to find out what to do to get these tires accepted.

And then I will really order them. And your idea about changing the soft top boot is also very interesting. But I just think about changing it to white color which would then give a wonderful match with the white walls.

I will also look for somebody to make me one...

Well, many ideas from you, very many thanks therefore. Right now I have a lot of things to do (including to consider about the question if it would be an advantage to wear my hair longer......),

Best regards,

Wolfgang