Same as it ever was?

Matt Harwood

Hey guys.

You know that Talking Heads song, "Once in a Lifetime?" I think I've lived it. "This is not my beautiful house! This is not my beautiful wife! And you may ask yourself, 'Well, how did I get here?'"

It says the last time I was here was August 20th, 2009, but it's been much longer, I think. Hope I haven't been forgotten, and believe me when I tell you that few days go by when I don't recall a name, a conversation, a car, or have the desire to come back and grab a wrench and talk shop with you guys. It's been a rocky few years for me involving unemployment, homelessness, divorce and illness, and I think I'm finally crawling out of the hole I found myself in. Along the way, thinking about my Buick--let alone working on it--became heartbreaking and a source of much longing, but no satisfaction or progress.

So yes, to answer a question I still get daily on my web page, I do still have the Buick, and yes, I do plan on getting back to work on it sometime soon--as soon as I find a place to live that has a garage. It became one of the only anchors I had, and I mean that in both a good and bad way.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the future holds, but I do know that I want old cars and the guys who enjoy them to be a part of it. I've been away for far too long and I think that's part of why things got so rough for me. I lost sight of where I was and where I wanted to go. Much as I tried to fight it, I think cars need to be a bigger part of my life, and I'm optimistic about a new opportunity working with a friend locating heavy Classics that need new homes.

But enough nonsense, let's talk cars.

Welcome back Matt, So many of our car friends have been hit by the current economic problems. When you have problems feeding your family or paying the rent or mortgage, old cars and their restoration is a thing of luxury. Your favorite car, gun collection or other treasured items are the first to go to make up the lost income. Sounds like you've had a rough time and I hope it's behind you now and that great opportunity is right around the corner. Keep us posted.

hello matt, i can relate with what you've gone through, at least the first three of the four you listed. i'm 54 yrs old, and have owned my 53 pontiac chieftain custom catalina since i was 17, many good old cars have come and gone through my ownership, but the catalina will always stay. please allow me to say "welcome back", my own restoration progress is very slow, lack of funds the major reason. but aliitle clean up here, a little parts painting there, i feel better. hey does your 41 buick have the compound carburetion set up ? charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Hello Matt, welcome back! I had wondered about your absence as I enjoyed your input and thought we had some similar sensibilities in old cars. And I can relate to your comments here automotive-wise. Fortunately I have not had the divorce or loss of home or garage, but no one can relate more to your well-stated comments about the good and bad "anchor" of old cars and the mix of longing and disappointment in projects deferred.

I am 42 and have a 1963 Pontiac convertible that I have had since I was 14. It was a rough "roller" that would have been crushed in 1982 if I had not saved it. It has been with me in various states of (mostly inauthentic) condition ever since, through college, moving out of state for my first job, then back home for my first house, marriage, career, etc. It is tired and rough around the edges, and I have too many other projects and responsibilities to give it any love. But it is garaged and covered and a few times each summer it eagerly starts up for a nice long Sunday drive to remind me that we are destined to remain together. Just call it the anchor too, glad to have you back and hope to see you around, Todd C.

Sorry to hear about your challenges, Matt, but glad to have you back!

Glad you were able to hold onto the car, I am sure sending it down the road would have been a regret, when you are ready to work on it, it will be there now.

Your job prospect sounds really interesting - best wishes with that!

Matt,

I have missed your posts for quite awhile. You have a good writing style. I wish you wrote for one of the car magazines. Though you've had some difficulties, remember that you eventually come out of the woods if you keep walking.

In the old car world, because there are a few "high rollers", it's easy to get the impression that everyone has a 100-car barn to store his autos in and a Gulfstream IV to fly to the shows and auctions with. Oh, and I forgot, unlimited money! The reality is, a lot of us have to make do and live within our means, but still are able to learn about, appreciate, and work on old cars. Personally, I've never had much money to work with -- but I've had good things going on to make up for it!

Your fellow old car guy,

Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)